Author Topic: Pinoy Dream Academy  (Read 8168 times)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pinoy Dream Academy
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2006 at 02:14 PM »
No, it wasn't known from the start that Kristoff was leaving. They came up with a new rule: once you've been nominated five times, you're automatically expelled. Kristoff had four nominations. The next nominations were based on last night's performances. Had Kristoff's performance last night been good enough that he didn't land in the bottom four, then text votes/professors/classmates still could have saved him. But it wasn't. So instead of going through the full process and evicting TWO people (Kristoff surely would've been saved by the text votes), they just evicted him, since he hit nomination #5.

so what happens to all the proceeds from the text votes? donated again to charity??

Basically, in the local franchise, the nominees/Grade A student have solo numbers for the "galas," while the rest have group performances. At the end of the performances, they announce which of the nominees got the most text votes and is saved, followed by the professors' choice, then the final vote by classmates. Unlike in other franchises, the evictees don't do the walk of shame singing their final song that same night - they return to the academy and leave the following day. Also, unlike the Spanish Operacion Triunfo contestants, the students aren't surprised by a new FIAT awaiting them after they're evicted. They just get a Belgian Waffle franchise.  ;D

LOL... it was only in the third season of OT where they gave cars to the expelled students. i assume this was because none of them were going to get contracts from vale music. unlike in the first and second season, each student was guaranteed at least a single. (it even reached a point where a "gala" album was released EVERY WEEK... containing studio versions of the songs sung at the live show. so just by getting in the finals you'd have a new song released every week.)

yes. i suppose it's the same for all franchises that the "favorito" ("grade A student"... who the hell came up with these?? LOL.) and the 2 "nominados" have solo numbers. i find that having 4 people asking for votes very odd... sa ibang franchise kasi 2 lang. 4 would be nominated at the end of each gala... one will be saved by teachers and another by the students. the remaining two have one week to earn votes. personally, i find that system much more efficient. parang masyadong marami yung apat.

The following night, the remaining students find out who the judges selected as the bottom 4 from the previous night's performances.

another thing i'm still not used to... having 2 nights just for performance and nominations... isn't that such a waste of time?

basically sa ibang franchise: it's performance ...  straight to the announcement of the week's text results on who will go (which involves the infamous "walk of shame". LOL.) ... after a long break comes the announcement of the week's "favorito" by the host and the "4 nominados" by the judges (which i love, since each student is called by a judge and "critiqued" with menacing music in the background, then told if he/she is one of the 4 "nominated" or "safe". the favorito, of course, is spared from this ... our style here of having the judges critique them immediately after a performance is just too "idol", IMO) ... and finally the reveal of who the teachers and students will save... all done in one night.

I'll just text my PDA Professor-friend to get the PDA results so I can watch Idol without constantly switching channels.  ;D

::)

just wondering... have these kids in the PDA had a "master class" yet? not even with robin gibb?? LOL.
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2006 at 02:29 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 09:19 PM »
rico puno was way worst from fancis and pilita as judge!  :o
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2007 at 12:22 PM »
hmmmm.....just saw the champion, Yeng ba?  in  ASAP....jamming with Orange and Lemons in the song Magkayakap sa Dilim....she was not just out of sync......she adlib a lot coz she forgot the lyrics...and the lead singer of O & L has to take the reigns for her.....ito ba produkto ng PDA?   ???
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2007 at 08:57 AM by Munskie »

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007 at 11:47 AM »
From Inquirer.net

ABS-CBN expels 4 ‘Pinoy Dream Academy’ scholars

INQUIRER.net
Last updated 09:07am (Mla time) 05/04/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Four of the top six placers in ABS-CBN’s Pinoy Dream Academy reality-based pop star search have been booted out of the television network’s shows due to a series of incidents that happened while they were in the United States for a concert tour.

Dream Big Productions, a talent management arm of ABS-CBN that is tasked to oversee the careers of the PDA Top 6, announced it was heavily sanctioning Jay-R Siaboc, Panky Trinidad, Chad Peralta, and Irish Fullerton for their “wrongdoings,” which reports have said involved their rude behavior towards fans.

Concert-goers to their US shows have attested that the four were unaccommodating and rude, apart from additional reports that Dream Big was fined by one of the hotels the delegation stayed in for damage to property and unruly behavior.

All four were reported to have blurted invectives against fans, who were merely asking for photo-ops and autographs. Other reports alleged that the talents drank large amounts of alcohol inside their hotel rooms, apart from muddling the premises. They were also described as uncooperative and unprofessional.

As a result of Dream Big’s internal investigation, it was found out that the four indeed were guilty of the charges. As such, Dream Big decided to apply appropriate sanctions against the former “scholars,” which includes the cancellation of their appearances in the ABS-CBN Sunday noontime show A.S.A.P. ’07 and other shows that they were slated to appear in.

Only two have been spared from the axe—topnotcher Yeng Constantino and third placer Ronnie Liang. Both have been reported as disciplined and professional throughout the US tour.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007 at 12:48 PM »
From Inquirer.net

INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines -- Four of the top six placers in ABS-CBN’s Pinoy Dream Academy reality-based pop star search have been booted out of the television network’s shows due to a series of incidents that happened while they were in the United States for a concert tour.

Dream Big Productions, a talent management arm of ABS-CBN that is tasked to oversee the careers of the PDA Top 6, announced it was heavily sanctioning Jay-R Siaboc, Panky Trinidad, Chad Peralta, and Irish Fullerton for their “wrongdoings,” which reports have said involved their rude behavior towards fans.

Concert-goers to their US shows have attested that the four were unaccommodating and rude, apart from additional reports that Dream Big was fined by one of the hotels the delegation stayed in for damage to property and unruly behavior.

All four were reported to have blurted invectives against fans, who were merely asking for photo-ops and autographs. Other reports alleged that the talents drank large amounts of alcohol inside their hotel rooms, apart from muddling the premises. They were also described as uncooperative and unprofessional.

As a result of Dream Big’s internal investigation, it was found out that the four indeed were guilty of the charges. As such, Dream Big decided to apply appropriate sanctions against the former “scholars,” which includes the cancellation of their appearances in the ABS-CBN Sunday noontime show A.S.A.P. ’07 and other shows that they were slated to appear in.

Only two have been spared from the axe—topnotcher Yeng Constantino and third placer Ronnie Liang. Both have been reported as disciplined and professional throughout the US tour.

I never thought of them highly as far as talent and skills are concerned.  Overrrated I think.  Thats why I think ABS was quick to the gun to boot them out.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007 at 01:44 PM »
True! I once chanced upon their segment in ASAP, months after their contest ended, and it seems there's still no improvement in the quality of their performance.

Offline pjayg

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • I am the Nocturnal Prince!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007 at 04:40 PM »
tsk tsk ... another case of having too much too soon  :(

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2007 at 08:08 PM »
"Of late, there have been tabloid columns written about three issues that gave a negative impression of Dream Big Productions (DBP), its reason for being and the people that run it.

"The first issue revolves around the Top 6 PDA scholars, Yeng Constantino, Jay-R Siaboc, Panky Trinidad, Ronnie Liang, Chad Peralta, and Irish Fullerton, who recently went on a US Concert Tour. While doing the tour, they were reported to have committed certain indiscretions that led to the issuance of sanctions for four misbehaving scholars,' namely Jay-R, Panky, Irish, and Chad.

"Let us make it clear. Yes, there were indiscretions committed by the four named artists but were limited to smoking and drinking in the hotel room where they were staying. They were penalized for doing so by the hotel management with a fine, but not 10,000 US dollars as reported by one columnist.

"In this regard, the DBP management has recommended that Jay-R Siaboc and Panky Trinidad take their much needed rest and go back to their respective hometowns in Cebu, while waiting for their next project with DBP. Chad Peralta, on the other hand, expressed his desire to fly back to Australia after fulfilling his earlier scheduled album promotion. Chad at the moment feels that show business is not for him. Irish Fullerton was likewise advised to take a breather in her hometown in Los Angeles, USA, which came very timely since she has an impending June 12 Independence show there.

"The second issue is their disappearance in ASAP '07 last April 29, 2007. Rightly so, the four were not there because their three-month performance stint with the show ended even before they left for the USA. Henceforth, however, each of the PDA scholars will be moved and managed individually.

"The third issue is the insinuated "rift" between Star Magic's Johnny "Mr. M" Manahan and Business Head Direk Lauren Dyogi. The two major personalities in ABS-CBN entertainment are working well together. In fact, they are in the process of launching a new project, the opening of a performance academy that will offer certificate courses to aspiring actors, actresses, singers, and production people.

"DBP does not condone misbehavior. Rest assured that we abide by our code of ethics and conduct to decide on what actions to take given specific circumstances. Our six PDA scholars will continue to work with DBP and ABS-CBN after the recommended rest and recreation that they rightfully deserve.

"To our valued friends in media, thank you for monitoring our PDA scholars and DBP. We thank you for your sincere reminders to us and our artists.

"We remain committed to bring quality talents and performances to our beloved audiences. Thank you. "

"(Signed) Jon Ilagan, Managing Director - Dream Big Productions"

So... is this new statement spin control, or was the Inquirer story inaccurate?
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline pjayg

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • I am the Nocturnal Prince!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2007 at 11:01 PM »
tsk tsk ... another case of having too much too soon  :(

oops ... i think i'm the one who spoke too soon  ;D

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2007 at 02:10 AM »
From Inquirer.net

INQUIRER.net

A relative (whose name and up to what degree I refuse to divulge) played for this tour. That relative told me that the dikey Panky was super MALDITA and LOUD, throwing her weight around, literally and figuratively!

Even that Imelda Papin look-alike Yeng Constantino was also a byotch! Ang lutong mag-mura! I am not surprised that she was spared coz, of course, her album and singles were big hits..Well, enjoy it while it last girl!

And true, among the Top 6, only Ronnie Liang showed professionalism, seriously studying his songs  and obediently taking advices and directives from the musical director.

The saddest part. Their shows were dismal FLOPS! Attendance was hardly 40%. They were supposed to do 3 shows but the producers had to cancel Las Vegas due to very, very poor ticket sales. Add up the damages they had to pay to the hotel where the pasaway group stayed. Yeng is scheduled to have a solo concert this August with the same band but at the rate things have gone, the producers are now pondering this million times over.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 24, 2008 at 10:13 AM »
I caught a second season episode last Sunday. It was "probation night," with results from the previous night's "gala."

Just to show how our local talent pool is already dwindling, Philippine Idol's Miguel, who basically was like the local "Vote-For-The-Worst" candidate for several weeks when he was on Idol, is now also a contestant on this reality show, and he was given the SECOND BEST score of the night.  ::)

yes. i suppose it's the same for all franchises that the "favorito" ("grade A student"... who the hell came up with these?? LOL.) and the 2 "nominados" have solo numbers. i find that having 4 people asking for votes very odd... sa ibang franchise kasi 2 lang. 4 would be nominated at the end of each gala... one will be saved by teachers and another by the students. the remaining two have one week to earn votes. personally, i find that system much more efficient. parang masyadong marami yung apat.

They heard you! That's what happened on Sunday. Now it's down to two nominees that people will vote for.

The faculty, though, gives this show much more credibility than GMA's Pinoy Idol. Maestro Ryan Cayabyab, The Tux's Monet Silvestre, UP College of Music Chairman Kitchy Molina & Director Jose Javier Reyes trump Ogie, Jolina & Wyngard Tracy any day. Even if they were asleep, probably.  ;D

As for the contestants... haven't heard them, so let's see how good this faculty really is.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2008 at 10:14 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline ESL

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 24, 2008 at 03:52 PM »
I think it's a good show too. It's even better than pbb teen plus, in that they're all intrigero/ra. Talent-wise, they're much better than the PI finalists. Only thing is that their nerves are affecting their performances.

What needs a lot of improvement though is their website summaries! Really bad grammar.

Ex: The scholars unanimously voted to save Bea. Eight out of 13 wanted to save her.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2008 at 03:56 PM by ESL »

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 12:15 PM »
 ;D Been watching gala performances, after Pinoy Idol of course, for the past two weeks.. There's only one who keeps standing out and is the Top Winner again 2 straight weeks already and she's LIEZL. This girl has really refined soulful and angelic voice. And she's also a charmer which is magnified even more by her exotic skin tone. I hope it doesn't get in the way given ABS-CBN's penchant to hire  talentless cutesy, milk white, half breeds.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 06:36 PM »
Caught some segments in last night's performance night. Bea should be booted out pronto! How on earth did she get accepted in this show?! She was awfully mediocre. Obviously, ABS-CBN wanted to infuse a love angle to the show, since she's the girlfriend of that other god-awful contestant, ex-Philippine Idol reject Miguel.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 12:38 PM »
Not another Regine or Gary V

By Bayani San Diego Jr.
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 23:53:00 06/29/2008

MANILA, Philippines - True to form, performance mentor Jose Javier Reyes was already raising hell as early as the first week of the ABS-CBN reality search “Pinoy Dream Academy” (PDA).

According to headmaster Ryan Cayabyab, Direk Joey (as he is known in show biz circles) saw red when mentors’ choices failed to make the final cut in the show’s grand launch last month.

In an exclusive e-mail to Inquirer Entertainment, Direk Joey, in a more sober tone, attempts to make sense of the roller-coaster ride that is PDA.

“Talent is as important as X factor, but talent is not enough,” he readily admits.

Magic ingredient

Direk Joey points out that some gifted singers have failed, while “mediocre vocalists have become stars because they are blessed with that magic ingredient.”

In a nutshell, PDA aims to find that rare discovery: Talent mixed with charisma. “We are are looking for sellable performers, outstanding vocalists who can be developed into original Filipino talents who carry media value.”

Herculean task

He concedes that this can prove to be a herculean task especially since “[mass] media has been diminished to templates and [there’s] a prevalence of mediocrity.”

He asserts: “It will be interesting to produce talents who are earthshaking in their originality … I keep telling the kids: ‘We do not need another Regine (Velasquez), Gary (Valenciano), Martin (Nievera) or Bamboo. We need a new somebody.’”

He notes that these scholars can only evolve into originals if “they will be encouraged to be different, to be themselves and not be mere clones.”

This is where the mentors come in.

Direk Joey says that the show’s “mentoring” aspect helped seal the deal for him.

“There is actual learning taking place on this show,” he explains.

He says that mentors like Cayabyab and Kitchy Molina are there to “guide, teach and share their knowledge … What the kids make out of this opportunity is up to them.”

Mentors are also there to give scholars a much-needed “reality check,” he says.

He reiterates: “At this point, anyone can be a winner. The only losers are those who don’t maximize the possibilities of learning. Worse, the even bigger loser is he who thinks PDA has already made him a big star. Huwag malunod sa kalahating basong tubig.”

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 12:53 PM »
Caught some segments in last night's performance night. Bea should be booted out pronto! How on earth did she get accepted in this show?! She was awfully mediocre. Obviously, ABS-CBN wanted to infuse a love angle to the show, since she's the girlfriend of that other god-awful contestant, ex-Philippine Idol reject Miguel.

mismo! para may instant story angle na kaagad! what's more irritating is that the mentors always save her!  :o
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #46 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 06:37 PM »
i just saw the 2nd gala night, and a good number of the scholars were nervous. chivas, who got expelled for health reasons, was the best performer. and i think he was also good the week before, even with limited practice.

i liked gerard salonga as juror! he didn't mince words. i could just imagine the contestants hoping that they don't have him as juror. louie and isay are nicer.

Offline ESL

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 10:55 PM »
Well, that was a disappointment. Liezl was robbed! She deserved to win, or place second at the very least.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 14, 2008 at 10:58 PM »
I saw Liezl's final performance. Her last notes were real off.

I have no qualms with Laarni or Bugoy winning first and second place. They have really good voices. But Miguel at third? Please!!!!

Offline Fat Makoy

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Collector
  • I Love PINAS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 01:20 PM »
I saw Liezl's final performance. Her last notes were real off.

I have no qualms with Laarni or Bugoy winning first and second place. They have really good voices. But Miguel at third? Please!!!!

sayang si bugoy! dapat sya Grand champ!
Bless d man if his heart & his land r 1, d 3 stars & a sun. - FM

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 02:02 PM »
This is hilarious... the thread jumped from second gala night to after the finale!  ;D

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 03:01 PM »
Hahaha! Just goes to show how generally uninteresting the series is!

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2008 at 02:07 AM by allanmandy »

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 16, 2008 at 02:07 AM »
Good thing this Inquirer blind item didn't materialize:

No-talent son has text vote-buying dad

Biz insiders are concerned that Untalented Contestant would top this reality contest just because his dad is willing to spend hard cash for text votes.

This almost happened in another contest that UC joined earlier, sources note.

There’s also a rumor that UC’s relationship with equally Untalented Girlfriend is bogus. Because he’s not hetero.

UG has denied the gay gossip, insisting that UC’s perfectly plucked eyebrows are real.

However, UC isn’t UG’s bet for the big win. Hmm. Catfight brewing?

source