Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain  (Read 1340 times)

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Brokeback Mountain
« on: Jun 07, 2006 at 10:25 PM »
I decided to give it a try and bought it. 

Disclaimer: I do not own or seen the R1 version of Brokeback Mountain. But I feel my opinion below is objective and accurate.

CASE:  Cheap cardboard  slipcase with 'Oscar of my Heart' banner emblazoned below,  The inner case dumps the banner.  And as stated by others, the back is kind of like other recent budget Viva releases, redone not copied from other region's DVD.

DISC TYPE: The disc seems to be those local variety not what you might call 'Imported Disc.'  It has Viva  and Brokeback Mountain DVD9 printed in the inner groove of the Disc.

It may be DVD9 but barely.  It is just 5.51GB according to my PC.  If they are going for DVD 9, they should at least use the full space of a DVD9...this is after all a long 133 minutes movie.

This is not a true DVD but a glorified VCD! Allow me to explain:

MENU: The menus are what you might expect from a pirated fake DVD...  not copied from original DVD, but those DVDs where no original DVD yet exist.  All menus looks home-made: The Scene selection menu is limited to 6!  A 130 minutes movie but scene selection is a measly six (The last one is end-credits, so it's really just 5), go figure.

There's the Videogram and Viva screen like you would see on a VCD.   Not too bad, if the rest are good, after all even imported DVD got an FBI warning...

GRAPHICS QUALITY:  Horrendous,  the outdoor scenes should be what should shine on a DVD, (leaves of grass, etc..) but not on this one, it shows grains and colors are sometime what you might expect from shrinking say a 16-million color picture to 4000 color one.  True, it better than VCD quality, but this is DVD, it should be much more...

FULLSCREEN:  It is stated on the case.  But still, true videophile demands widescreen.

TIME LISTED:  It is listed as 166.10 minutes, but the movie itself is really around 132 minutes.

BONUS MATERIALS: Trailer, Selected Film Clips, Audio Commentaries.  Behind the Scenes.
Selected Film Clips are just that, looks like the same film clips from the movie...NOT DELETED SCENES.  This is Redundant!

Audio Commentaries is not really a different audio track but interview with directors, and some stars (14 minutes long).

Behind the scenes are film clips of just that 'Behind the scenes'

All these Bonus Materials are thrown in haphazardly, with almost no editing, just a hodge-podge of materials that fade-in and fade-out.

NO SUBTITLES WHATSOEVER.  VCD style.

Since it is DVD9, why remake the disc.  Shouldn't they just copy the R1 version? If they want Fullscreen, R1 got a fullscreen version.  Why remake everything and make it worst than a pirated DVD...

THIS IS WORST THAN C-INTERACTIVE RELEASES.  At least with those, they are just lower-bitrate version of an original DVD.  Brokeback Mountain (Philippines) DVD looks unfinished and amateurish, something any one might be able to make with a home PC, the video track, and Nero...

Not worth much more than a VCD. 
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2006 at 03:23 AM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline dennislazo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 10:42 PM »
additional info:

audio is in Dolby Digital 2.0 only.

audio has crackling sound like if the audio over-modulated.

and i did waste the amount of money i paid for the DVD.

i'm off to amazon next time.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 10:47 PM »
I doubt it is even Dolby...  probably plain stereo track like cheap VCD...

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 07:52 AM »
recently saw this DVD... price wise its 475 pesos.  8)

still pricey in my opinion.

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 07:26 PM »
recently saw this DVD... price wise its 475 pesos.  8)

still pricey in my opinion.

Bro, based on the reviews above... this shouldn't even be sold for PhP 250.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 10:27 PM »
The price is 450. 

IMHO, at 199, it would be okay PROVIDED they would release a proper version at say 750.  If they do, I would have no complains, after all you get what you pay for...  but as it is, they give the local viewers an inferior version as their only choice...

Being the only choice, my opinion is to refrain from getting it lest they thought that adulterated cheap products sell...  If I want cheap, I would get a 'P' copy, that at least is widescreen.  People who buy originals deserve better.

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2006 at 11:25 AM »
It's in Foolscreen.  Even at P99, it's not worth it.