Author Topic: Mixed Martial Arts Thread : UFC - PRIDE - K1 - URCC  (Read 38167 times)

Offline xage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:UFC : Ultimate Fighting Championship
« Reply #60 on: Dec 30, 2002 at 01:03 PM »
my goodness, I keep losing the bidding war on sakuraba nhb fights compilation tapes!  >:(

Oops.. I think I got the first and only UFC appearance of Sakuraba? ;D UFC Japan.... controversial yet AOK!
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Dragon Sleeper

• Collector
  • Fortune favors the brave!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Dec 30, 2002 at 03:54 PM »
Oops.. I think I got the first and only UFC appearance of Sakuraba? ;D UFC Japan.... controversial yet AOK!

yep, first fight as a pro actually... I'll use the buy it now next time I bid..  ;D

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 09:34 AM »
Did they show UFC 17 or 18 na ba last dec.29 sun?I was following it every night but went out last Sun.What are the results?Man! wala naman ufc last night.labo ng Solar.They are advertising that they are going to show K1.Woohoo!!! And WWE also.Sana matuloy na and sana updated naman.Huwag yong 3 years ago.hehe ;D But still better than nothing.
Elf 8)
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline Dragon Sleeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 11:27 AM »
Walang ufc nung sunday... ubos na siguro. Sana ipalabas uli ang 1 to 4.

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 12:03 PM »
Last UFC sa solar talo si Vitor Belfort.Grabe! Siya pa naman ang best striker na nakita ko aside from Don Frye.Si Tank give up din kay Maurice.Unbelievable! I don't like Maurice coz he doesn't show any skill other than lasting longer than his opponents then delivering some strikes in the end which makes the judges vote for him.Man! He can take hits but in my opinion that is about it.Now Belfort, that's another story.The way he strikes is deadly accurate and with full force.
Tank is the real UFC fighter!
Sorry to those guys who are able to watch up to UFC 40.hehe.Sobrang delayed dito sa Solar so fights from past years is still news to me. ;D

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 01:46 PM »
Randy Coutore  the guy who beat Vitor Belfort, was not just an ordinary guy.. at UFC japan (*Spoiler) he beat Maurice Smith...

And at 2001' he and Pedro Rizzo showcased the 2001's greatest fights in UFC history.. take note last 2001 was Randy's reign being Heavyweight champion again after he got beat by Rico "Suave" Rodriguez

As for Vitor Belfort he also got beat up by the Iceman Chuck Lidell
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2002 at 02:58 PM by xage »

Offline Dragon Sleeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 02:00 PM »
Tank is the real UFC fighter!

Though may wrestling background (probably high school not counting the wcw experience) si Tank, he honed his fighting "skills" (if you can call it that) sa mga bar room brawls...  ;D

But he's great sa commentaries, e.g.,  glam-rock (ken s.), freddie mercury (severn) tom selleck (frye)...  ;D

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 04:59 PM »
Yup agreed Dragon Sleeper.He says he doesnt train and the last fight with maurice he said that he did not prepare for that.Just got off the bar stool so to speak.But not a lot of fighters can boast of having pounded some of the better striker and grapplers without formal training but with just brute force.It is only now that he is learning to counter some of the take downs and to be effective against or in the guard position.
During the first UFC events which I saw in laser discs I was always booing the grapplers because I thought that it did not take much skill in taking down an opponent and choking him.Hey, I thought, any moron can choke.That's for fighters who can't take and deliver punches.But recently my views have changed.I have taken up Aikido and my Sensei teaches me a little bit of Judo on the side.We have sparring matches ever so often.No hold barred judo sparring meaning take downs, submissions, chokes, you name it.Of course no striking because that is not Judo and I don't want to hurt my Sensei. ;Dhehe.Actually he beats the crap out of me.He weighs around 140 to 150 and I weigh around 185 and taller than him.He's taught me a lot of submissions especially the arm bar and a lot of chokes.It is not only to go for the throat but to sink your bone near your thumb to the adams apple and squeeze with your shoulders and head.There are a lot of choke position that you wouldn't believe.I am able to lift him and throw him down but so far I always tap out.You gotta be ready for injuries if your gonna spar no holds barred. ;D Man now I appreciate it when a grappler takes his opponent down and goes for a hold.Believe me it is not as easy as it looks.Hurts like hell when your opponent have you in a correct arm bar.
To those UFC fans out there.Pareng Dragon Sleeper.Take up Judo or Jui Jitsu if your into grappling.Muay Thai, boxing, Yaw Yan, Jeet Kune Do, etc if your into striking.Of course if you are into subduing with minimal injury to your opponent, take up Aikido which is what I'm currently learning.Ask those clubs if they are into sparring coz there is no substitute to being on the mat with an opponent.Then you will truly appreciate UFC, Pride or whatever fight tourneys you watch.It is a different kind of rush I tell you.
If UFC did not have rules, Tank would have been champion ten times over. ;D ;D ;D
Elf 8)

Offline Dragon Sleeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 05:47 PM »
Since the first ufc (shown locally on PTV 4 then but protests from so-called moralist put an end to that series), I was hoping to get into what royce gracie was doing but studies and work (at the same time) really put an end to those "dreams"  ;)

Now, I'm that I'm finished studying... I was thinking body building (lots of,  ;D ;D ;D )  combined with some self defense  ...

So where do you study your discipline? Is it near Alabang or Q.C.? More importantly, affordable ba?

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2002 at 06:01 PM by Dragon Sleeper »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 01, 2003 at 09:17 AM »
What a great New Year Countdown it was last night with UFC16- Battle at the BAYOU!

Whoa.. All are Supercards...

from the tournament to the three superb Superfight!

I thought the cream of the  crop was the Jackson-Bholander match but I never thought that the middleweight match-up between Frank Shamrock and  Igor Zinoviev was the highlight of the night!

FYI,  Igor Zinoviev was a superb MMA fighter in Battlecade (Extreme Fighting) he was undefeated there until ofcourse that vicious thug he suffered in the hands of Frank Shamrock (FYI 5-0 record in UFC).. Ganda ganda event lat night! ;D

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 01, 2003 at 09:27 AM »
UFC is going out of business na !!!  ;D heehehe PRide already got the their Nevada licensing agreement and will be holding events in the US !!!!

I guess... It will not be as good as UFC why

1. UFC is the MMA household name in North America
2.  13,770 fight fans, the largest crowd in mixed martial arts history in North America ahve witnessed the las PPV of UFC-Vendetta
3. Despite the great line-up of pride the ring does not hold adrenaline effect as what OCTAGON is with UFC ;D

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 01, 2003 at 03:35 PM »
Hey Dragon Sleeper,
Sent you a PM.Xage sali ka na! ;D

I agree, Ken Shamrock kahit matagal ng laban is a great year ender.I was in my lolas house and we were about to go to greenbelt to check out the fireworks and the bars but had to finish the fight.Nainip pa mga cousins ko.hehe.But it was worth it!Man Ken Shamrock really kicks ass! What was that about checking his opponents condition after?You guys seen his ferocity when he slammed his foe then strike his face?If it wasn't for Big John, Frank would have pummelled away.He wanted to obliterate that guy in my opinion. ;D

Offline loverlionus

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #72 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 01:14 PM »
I saw  the "Vendetta" in WOWOW and they also announced the next event to be in Feb. 28 (or March 3). Does anyone know the exact date and time and if this will be shown in WOWOW? Thanks.

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 06:33 PM »
Hey guys,
Any fight fans looking for Pride Fighting Championship DVD?Im putting one up for purchase in dvdmarketplace check it out.If you like UFC, you will surely like this. ;D

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 02, 2003 at 09:39 PM »
Man wala ng UFC, 2 nights na.I guess balik na sa sabado. :-\

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 05, 2003 at 07:18 AM »
Anybody see UFC 17 last night?Did you see how Tank obliterated his opponent? Now that is what I call Ultimate Fighting!
Elf 8)

Hey RickyTinio,
Sent you a PM
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2003 at 07:23 AM by Elf »

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 07:59 AM »
i think grapplers are boring. they may have good technique, but no one wants to watch those practically motionless gracie floor moves.

i would rather see strikers like fry anyday.

Offline Dragon Sleeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 09:21 AM »
i think grapplers are boring. they may have good technique, but no one wants to watch those practically motionless gracie floor moves.

i would rather see strikers like fry anyday.

Frye is also a great grappler (Greco-Roman variety) if he wants to, but he just loves to punish opponents with his FISTS...   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 10:59 AM »
Exactly my sentiments at first but now I do get excited when grapplers do take downs and submission.But of course there are also a lot of grapplers who do nothing on the ground.They are getting their wind back or waiting for the other guy to make a mistake like extend his arm to be open for a lock.And then some just don't know what to do when they are in either the mount or guard position. ;D Hopefully we see better grapplers in the coming replayed UFCs and of course better strikers.
TANK KICKS ASS!!!
Elf 8)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 06, 2003 at 12:54 PM »
Frye is also a great grappler (Greco-Roman variety) if he wants to, but he just loves to punish opponents with his FISTS...   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Unfortunately he was hammered down by Mark Coleman

but mark coleman was hammered by a kick by pete williams

but  pete williams was beat up by ricco rodriguez at ufc 34 who is now the current heavyweight champ
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2003 at 09:05 PM by xage »

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 07, 2003 at 09:36 AM »
Lucky shot by Pete Williams. ;D
Hey guys, palabas na ba K1 10:30 Fridays?

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 08, 2003 at 07:46 AM »
Lucky shot by Pete Williams. ;D

Its not! hehehe... Actually Mark Coleman's wickness is his stamina.. after 10mins the hammer becomes a cotton

I saw the UFC34 where Pete William was hammered down by current UFC heavyweight Champ Rico "Suave" & "Pretty Boy" Rodriguez

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 08, 2003 at 07:56 AM »
Yup Coleman has very low stamina and to think that he is a wrestler.They are supposed to be used to pacing and long bouts.Coleman likes to brace his hands on his knees when he's tired.But woohey, look at his body! ;D
I was actually cheering for Coleman against Williams, sayang.
Elf 8)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jan 09, 2003 at 07:46 AM »
Have you not noticed? the UFC title itself was intended for Mark Coleman to redeme himself ;D

UFC17: REDEMPTION

but what happen was?

UFC17:Humiliation

;D ;D ;D

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 09, 2003 at 07:52 AM »
exactly. :-\
Hopefully he regains his title in the next few bouts.Malamang Vindication ang title. ;D Can't wait for this saturday.
Elf 8)

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 09, 2003 at 07:57 AM »
Hey Xage,
Wala pang Coleman vs. Tank line up since 17 no?Can't remember. Meron ba in the following UFCs?Oooopps, spoilers. ;D
Elf 8)

Offline Compaq

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 09, 2003 at 10:38 AM »
Uy! Active din pala itong UFC Thread. Good, may mga matatanungan na ko.. :) Am not really an avid but fan but I find it interesting to watch UFC fights.

Ano ba nangyari kay Mark Coleman, ganda ng simula niya sa UFC eh.

By the way, nakabili ako dati (di ko na matandaan kung kaylan) ng UFC hits from someone from ebili.com. VHS copy lang (from DVD), I picked up the tape from a store that sells health drugs/medicines in Glorietta. Kilala nyo ba siya? Baka naman ikaw yan kung sino ka man. Baka meron kang mga bagong tapes.. :)

Cheers!!!
Compaq

Offline Dragon Sleeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jan 09, 2003 at 09:39 PM »

On Mark Coleman, first, he was beaten by Smith, who surprisingly was adept in "the guard", then he was injured in training (?), worse UFC rule changes did him in.. no more headbutts (a big part of his repertoire to go with his girlie punches, as Maurice Smith described them  ;D )

Pero he finally redeemed himself in Pride Fighting Championship winning the grand prix 2000 where the famous Royce Gracie- Kazushi  Sakuraba took place..

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jan 12, 2003 at 11:24 AM »
Hey guys,
Anybody watch 18 last night?Pat Miletich ba last fight?Who won ?How?had to go before fight was over.man! Talo na naman si Coleman?Hammer House pa rin!!!
Elf 8)

Offline Dragon Sleeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jan 12, 2003 at 12:23 PM »
elf

Miletich won a very boring fight.

Yes, talo na naman si Coleman by split decision but I thought he won it.

You missed the exciting Bas Rutten-Tsuyoshi Kosaka match. TK dominated the early action before getting decimated in overtime.  :(