Author Topic: Focus on Production Designers  (Read 1188 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Focus on Production Designers
« on: Jun 20, 2006 at 12:59 PM »
We already have a thread on Filipino Cinematographers, why not for Production Designers? How are they important on the visuals of a film?

Peque Gallaga did the production design of Bernal's MANILA BY NIGHT & Eddie Romero's GANITO KAMI NOON, PAANO KAYON NGAYON?

Mel Chionglo did the excellent creepy and haunting atmosphere of Mike de Leon's ITIM, Brocka's GUMISING KA, MARUJA and the outrageous look of Joey Gosiengfiao's TEMPTATION ISLAND.

Don Escudero designed the flawless in terms of visuals the period epic ORO PLATA MATA which ushered us into the world of 1941 aristocracy.

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2006 at 01:01 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Re: Focus on Production Designers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 11:20 AM »
one of the finest Production Designers was Fiel Zabat. his work in Mario o'Hara's Bakit Bughaw Ang Langit? (1981) is the stuff Filipino movies are made of. but he's also excellent in period films. who can forget Karnal's (1983) excellent design? and the re-creation of Manila circa 1960's in Alyas Baby Tsina (1984)? what about High School Circa '65 (1979)? even in films like Annie Batungbakal (1979), Bongga Ka 'Day! (1980), Ibalik Ang Swerti & Rock & Roll (both 1981). Fiel was also responsible for the look of Lino Brocka's Insiang (1976), Ang Tatay Kong Nanay (1978), Inay (1977) & Tahan Na Empoy, Tahan (1978). i saw him recently during a Q & A for a screening of Karnal last week. i told him how much i admire his work. here's hoping he would make another movie after American Adobo.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 02:33 PM »
Zabat also did terrific work on Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos. With enormous help from the great Vincente Bonus, Gerardo de Leon's favorite production designer.

I just wish they didn't try directing so much. With the possible exception of Peque, and only because I do like his Scorpio Nights.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 06:09 PM »
Speaking of SCORPIO NIGHTS, Don Escudero did a wonderful job also for that erotic masterpiece, and almost all of Peque's films have such a distinct look from SCORPIO NIGHTS to UNFAITHFUL WIFE, VIRGIN FOREST, incidentally one of Lav Diaz favorite films.

O'Hara's BULAKLAK SA CITY JAIL is perhaps the dirtiest jail women prison I've ever seen.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2006 at 01:12 PM »
eman, is that the one with Regine Velasquez and Richard Gomez?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2006 at 03:14 PM »
I think you want to thank Mel Mendoza del Rosario for the script--when Laranas writes his own movies, like Radyo and Balahibong Pusa, truth and realism are the first things that fly out the window.

That said, he does handle the actors well, and he gives the script a wonderful visual glow. He's pretty good...provided he's tied down to a good script, I think.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2006 at 07:07 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2006 at 06:23 PM »
Eman was right, Manila looks so romantic and beautiful in that Regine & Richard movie. Yam started as a cinematographer, right?