Author Topic: Picture Calibration  (Read 34253 times)

Offline odontek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, bear with me I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Picture Calibration
« on: Jun 28, 2006 at 01:16 PM »
Hi guys, I just got my self an LCD and Plasma panel and was wondering what you use to calibrate them? Is there a special way or system to do this, and is it the same for both Plasma and LCD? Where do you get this stuff? One more thing is there a break-in period for this? Thanks :)

Offline audibleillusions

• Collector
  • Hi-fi, HT,Professional Audio and Video Store
  • Liked:
Re: How do you calibrate ?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2006 at 07:01 PM »
AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS AUDIBLE ILLUSIONS
ooohhh you are really a learner.and you really got a plasma.
joke

for
Acoustic Treatment and Design for
Recording Studios and Listening Rooms?

All Pioneer Elite and Pioneer TVs— deliver an exceptionally vibrant, detailed picture. Set one up in your media room and you’ll be amazed at how much it enriches your home environment.

Now, Pioneer has taken this even further, through its certification by Imaging Science Foundation, Inc. (ISF). Select high-definition Pioneer Elite Plasma TVs comply with the ISF’s Custom Calibration Configuration (C3), which enables your TV to be performance-optimized for the specific room in which you’ve placed it. This capability allows your high-definition TV to be fine-tuned at an advanced, customized level of calibration that was previously impossible.

Here’s how it works: as an optional service arranged through your Pioneer Elite dealer, a trained professional will calibrate contrast, tint, sharpness, color levels, and other parameters to best fit your exact viewing environment. Room layout and size, ambient light (for both day and night viewing), and other conditions that affect picture quality are measured and factored in. Once the ISF C3 calibrations are made to your TV, you’ll enjoy unparalleled picture accuracy. But should you ever want to revert back to the TV’s original settings after the set is calibrated, you can; the TV’s ISF Mode will allow you to toggle back and forth if you wish.

Although all Pioneer Elite PureVision Plasma TVs deliver an outstanding picture “out of the box”, they are not, of course, perfectly tuned to your own media room. But through their ISF C3 capability, these select models ensure that you will get the highest possible picture quality in your home.

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2006 at 07:03 PM by audibleillusions »

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 10:01 PM »
Hi guys, I just got my self an LCD and Plasma panel and was wondering what you use to calibrate them? Is there a special way or system to do this, and is it the same for both Plasma and LCD? Where do you get this stuff? One more thing is there a break-in period for this? Thanks :)

You can start off with this link:

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/4520-6463_7-5085739_1.html?tag=txt

In the website you can initially use the Basic tips but since you're using LCD and Plasma panels suggested is using the intermediate tips which lists different calibration discs you can get to help you out.  I think some of the pinoydvd members have calibration discs you can ask them where they got the discs.  You can go with audibleillusion's recommendation and get somebody to calibrate your set....just make sure its not just a third party performing the basic stuff which you could do yourself....

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 12:25 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

To audibleillusions thank you for the time and effort you gave me during my Plasma inquiry, but the initial offer of D'Cinema in Style is just irresistable.   ;)

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 03:24 PM »
I used the "poor man's" alternative which is the THX Optimizer which comes with all Lucas Film dvds like Indiana Jones and Star Wars...

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
Hey Audible, do you provide this service? How much do you charge for such? :)

Offline [joms]

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2006 at 05:17 AM »
any updates on this?
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline nibblerizer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Picture Calibration
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2007 at 11:25 PM »
saan makakabili nito dito sa pinas but not online?

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: avia calibration dvd
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 07:29 AM »
I just downlaoded mine from a torrent site. Medyo matagal kasi malaki yung file.
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 08:19 AM »
me too, i downloaded it from the demonoid torrent site, but hindi naman sya ganon ka effective, i still use the default vivid setting of my bravia LCD because i still find it more appealing to my view.

Offline nibblerizer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 09:24 AM »
thanks guys

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 10:55 AM »
It is effective if you know how to use it. You need the supplied Blue filter to ahjust color and tint as well as RED push.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline kelz

• Collector
  • Liked:
Picture Calibration
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 03:56 PM »
Hi guys. i just bought a 32" tv, and i'm experiencing eye strain. parang matingkad yung display, and i'm not sure what to adjust because ang daming options nung tv. It has backlight control, brightness and an energy saving feature w/c all adjusts the brightness of the screen, or so that's what i observed. To those who had their tv's calibrated, did it produce significant improvement from your personal setting before the calibration? Masakit kasi sa mata lalo na when playing video games, connected to the component input.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Picture Calibration
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 11:27 PM »
Calibration will definitely improve your tvs display :)

Offline kelz

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 03:17 AM »
to those who had their tv calibrated with spyder pro, pls post feedback naman. tnx.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 10:22 AM »
Anybody who can lend me a software for TV calibration?   ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline kelz

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2008 at 09:54 AM »
Most dvd's have the thx optimizer feature. or so that's what the tech at sights and sounds told me. Anyway, my tv was calibrated for free by sights and sounds using spyder pro software. and it proved to be effective.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 02:50 AM »
My tv was calibrated last week by SnS. I really noticed the difference in pics. Hindi na sya stressful sa mata and before the calibration kahit anong gawin kong adjustment sa pic setting parang hindi pa rin tama that is why I think it really helps to calibrate your TV.

I asked the tech of SnS where they bought the Spyder Calibrator and he told me sa US daw. I think it's about 40k worth daw and he also told me na SnS pa lang daw ang av store na nag-ooffer dito sa Pinas.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008 at 03:00 AM by dyerds »

Offline HouseBum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 03:01 AM »
Anybody who can lend me a software for TV calibration?   ;D ;D ;D

If you're anywhere near BF Pque, I have a DVD Video Essentials disc. PM me for further details if your interested.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:47 AM »
If you're anywhere near BF Pque, I have a DVD Video Essentials disc. PM me for further details if your interested.

Chief, Tga BF P'que po din ako - pahiram kung maka bile na ako ng LCD ha? ;D Thanks sir!

Offline topps

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 12:25 PM »

Bro im from BF Homes din.. Elizalde St near southville. Just got myself a Samsung 26" last week.. Pwede ako pahiram ng copy?

Offline HouseBum

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 07:20 PM »
Try this first. CNET HDTV tune-up tips

Basic
You can do a lot to improve your picture using the simple adjustments found on all televisions. Taking the steps below will make the picture look more realistic and closer to what the director intended.

Room lighting
Since most people turn down the lights to watch a movie, our recommendations are designed to deliver a better picture in rooms with controlled lighting. Unless you have a big-screen projector or you're sitting at the minimum viewing distance, you shouldn't watch movies in complete darkness--it can cause eyestrain. For bright plasmas and smaller direct-view sets, the ideal setup is to place a dim light directly behind the TV and leave the rest of the room dark. Look for special daylight bulbs that glow at 6,500 degrees Kelvin. You should also prevent any light in the room from reflecting off the TV, as glare will hamper image fidelity. Watching at night is best, but if you watch during the day, thick curtains will really improve the picture.

Before you make any of the adjustments detailed below, set room lighting as if you were about to watch a movie. For viewing in brighter environments, we recommend you use one of the picture presets, such as Standard, Sports, or Vivid, and reserve your custom settings for dark rooms.

Brightness
What it is: Also called black level, brightness actually adjusts how dark the black sections of the picture appear.

What it does: Excessive brightness can result in a two-dimensional, washed-out look with reduced color saturation. Images with brightness set too low lose detail in shadows, and distinctions between dark areas disappear in pools of black.

How to set it: After connecting your DVD player using the highest-quality input available, insert a DVD that has letterbox bars above and below the image, and find a scene that has a roughly equal amount of light and dark material. Turn up the control all the way, then decrease until the letterbox bars begin to appear black, as opposed to dark gray. If you notice a loss of shadow detail--for example, when people's eyes disappear into the depths under their brows--then you've set brightness too low. Some plasma, LCD, DLP, and LCoS TVs won't ever look black, so you'll need a setup disc to properly configure their brightness.

Contrast
What it is: Also called picture or white level, contrast controls the intensity of the white parts of the image and determines the overall light output of the display.

What it does: Contrast is usually set extremely high by default because it makes images look brighter in the store. High contrast can obscure details and distort lines in the image, cause eyestrain in dim rooms, and shorten the lifespan of tubes and plasma elements. Setting contrast too low robs the image of impact.

How to set it: Display a still image from DVD of a white object with some visible details--such as someone wearing a white button-up shirt or a shot of a glacier from the Ice Age DVD. Adjust the control up all the way, then reduce it until you can make out all the details in the white (such as buttons on a shirt or cracks in the ice). In general, TVs look best when contrast is set between 30 and 50 percent.

Color
What it is: Also called saturation, this control adjusts how intense the colors look.

What it does: When there's too much color, the set looks garish and unrealistic. It's most noticeable with reds, which are often accentuated (pushed) by the TV's color decoder. On the other hand, too little color diminishes the impact of the picture, making it look drab. Setting color to zero results in a black-and-white image.

How to set it: If available, first set the color temperature control to the warmest option as described below. Then find an image of someone with light, delicate skin tones, preferably a close-up of a face, on a DVD. Turn up the color control until it looks like the person has sunburn, then reduce it until the skin looks natural, without too much red. If the rest of the colors look too drab, you can increase color slightly at the expense of accurate skin tones.

Other controls
Tint: Unless you're using one of the DVDs mentioned in the Intermediate section to set it properly, this control is best left at the midway point.

Sharpness: This adds artificial edges to objects, which sometimes helps with soft cable signals but almost always mars the already sharp image from a DVD. Reduce it to zero unless you detect visible softening along the edges of text; if you do, increase it until the edges appear sharp again.

Edge enhancement: Also called VSM or SVM for scan-velocity modulation, set this control to Off if possible.

Color temperature: This important control affects the entire palette of colors. Select the Warm or Low option, which should come closest to the NTSC standard of 6,500 degrees Kelvin.

Generally, the image looks best for DVD with picture enhancements such as autocolor, autoflesh tone, autocontrast, noise reduction, and other proprietary processing modes turned off. DVD image quality is good enough that these modes usually do more harm than good.

Calibrating using the DVD Video Essentials takes a lot of time and patience, plus its a bit old.

Video Essentials
(DVD International, 1997)
Upside: Wide array of reference test patterns; varied montage of images.

Downside: Difficult to navigate; test patterns not adequately explained.

Best for: Experts who want reference-quality patterns and are already familiar with basic calibration procedures.

The first setup DVD available, Video Essentials is still the gold standard for professional calibrators and other experts who are intimately familiar with its labyrinthine navigation. Created by video consultant Joe Kane, its patterns and excellent video/film montage have tested thousands of monitors--but they're not easy for beginners to use. People who want less of a learning curve should stick to newer, less arcane discs.

Offline Windrider

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 09:02 AM »
At long lasts, my TV was calibrated by the guys from Sight and Sounds. What can I say? Well, there was a lot of improvement. The skin tone and color of the people on the screen is much better. Unlike before na may pagka pink ng kaunti. And the most important thing is di na masakit sa mata. Before kasi after watching for a couple of hours, masakit na sa mata. Now it is much better. Thanks sir Vic. Now I know that SnS has the best service in town.

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM »
At long lasts, my TV was calibrated by the guys from Sight and Sounds. What can I say? Well, there was a lot of improvement. The skin tone and color of the people on the screen is much better. Unlike before na may pagka pink ng kaunti. And the most important thing is di na masakit sa mata. Before kasi after watching for a couple of hours, masakit na sa mata. Now it is much better. Thanks sir Vic. Now I know that SnS has the best service in town.

Thanks for the nice complements.  Enjoy your TV.

Another very satisfied customer from Sights and Sounds.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2384
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 11:06 AM »
Thanks for the nice complements.  Enjoy your TV.

Another very satisfied customer from Sights and Sounds.

Sir do you have picture calibration service? If yes how much will you charge? Thanks

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
Sir do you have picture calibration service? If yes how much will you charge? Thanks

We charge P3,000. for the service, but for pinydvd members, we can negotiate for the price. Call us up or drop me a note at 09175413491. We shall reply to your inquiry.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 02:26 PM »
Can these calibration devices / softwares be utilized by a non-tech person?  The entry level Sypder looks tempting but how often are you gonna use it - that's the question...

Click > Spyer2

Click > Spyder2 Pro

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 02:57 PM »
Can these calibration devices / softwares be utilized by a non-tech person?  The entry level Sypder looks tempting but how often are you gonna use it - that's the question...

Click > Spyer2

Click > Spyder2 Pro

I think these are for professionals..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 03:05 PM »
The entry level Spyder2 Express, puede ata for non-pro bro.  Checked the details on the site and it stated:

From the Manufacturer
Calibrate your display--just like professionals. Spyder2express calibrates monitors in three easy steps--simply plug it in, specify your display type, and it does the rest, automatically calibrating your monitor or laptop. Check the before-and-after. You'll see the improvement!

Product Description
ColorVision Spyder2 Express offers photographers, designers, and gamers the best color experience on screen. With just a few steps, you'll get accurate, reliable and consistent color. The quick, easy, and accurate monitor calibration delivers true-to-life flesh tones, well-defined shadows and realistic highlights. It's a must-have for photographers, designers, gamers, and anyone who wants accurate color on screen.

Hmmm...at under $70, seems worth the try  ::)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 03:13 PM »
The entry level Spyder2 Express, puede ata for non-pro bro.  Checked the details on the site and it stated:

From the Manufacturer
Calibrate your display--just like professionals. Spyder2express calibrates monitors in three easy steps--simply plug it in, specify your display type, and it does the rest, automatically calibrating your monitor or laptop. Check the before-and-after. You'll see the improvement!

Product Description
ColorVision Spyder2 Express offers photographers, designers, and gamers the best color experience on screen. With just a few steps, you'll get accurate, reliable and consistent color. The quick, easy, and accurate monitor calibration delivers true-to-life flesh tones, well-defined shadows and realistic highlights. It's a must-have for photographers, designers, gamers, and anyone who wants accurate color on screen.

Hmmm...at under $70, seems worth the try  ::)

Sana meron for rent nyan dito sa tin..  ;D ;D ;D