Author Topic: Picture Calibration  (Read 34295 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Picture Calibration
« Reply #180 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 03:48 PM »
Sir E-reply and Sir Nemesis,

I would just like to make a suggestion.  Not of all of us would have access to a calibration tool.  It would be of help to PDVD members if you could post the settings after calibration of the most popular models that you are selling. It would also be better if you can post settings after calibration on different room lighting - dark, semi, and well-lighted room.

We can use the settings as reference ... since those are professionally calibrated, it should not be much far-off if copied on the same model of equipment.  Perhaps a new thread can be started containing purely the settings of different models, as an example it would only contain the following info -

Brand:
Model No.:
Contrast:
Brightness:
Colour:
Tint:
Temperature:
Room Lighting Conditions:
Hours of Usage or Date of Purchase:

I indicated date of purchase cause hours of usage I think, is only viewable through service panels that ordinary end-users could not access.  Posting on settings would not be limited to E-reply and Nemesis, as we have our expert members and enthusiast members in the forum as well.

This is nice -- but i think calibration requires more than just playing with these basic adjustments areas. so that a calibrated PJ may not have similar level of brightness, color or contrast. etc with a PJ that is not calibrated.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 03:59 PM »
In addition -- each display is unique. Even same brand, same manufacturer, same model. That's why the calibration is also unique to each display.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #182 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 08:34 PM »
In addition -- each display is unique. Even same brand, same manufacturer, same model. That's why the calibration is also unique to each display.

I agree with that sir, but the reference settings of professionally calibrated equipment with the same brand and model should be a good starting point for those who do not have access to calibration tools or professional services.
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #183 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 09:34 PM »
no imho it wouldn't make a good starting point at all. its useless to copy the basic settings of a professionally calibrated display because the calibration isn't done just in the setup menu, most of the work is done in the service menu. this takes hours to do and costs thousands of pesos. i wouldn't recommend going into the service menu if you don't know what you're doing unless you're willing to scrap your display ;D

the good news is that basic calibrations like you asked for can be acquired using digital video essentials or avia w/c are available from amazon for around 20 bucks. thx certified movies also have embedded calibration material.

if you want to copy the settings of a professionally calibrated display

Offline LETOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 09:36 PM »
Actually you can't do that, you will actually be messing up the picture if you try to adjust Hidden menu controls. these are the one that are adjusted when you do a GREYscale calibration. They are not the same as the 5 readilly available controls that are accessible via remote.

Controls that may be adjusted via Pro calibration:

RED Bias/CUT
Green Bias/CUT
Blue Bias/CUT

R Gain
G GAin
B Gain

secondary color Cyan, Magenata, Yellow

Saturation, Brightness, Hue for each secondary color

Gamma settings  (low middle , high) and for each individual primary color

Color Gamut

Dynamic Range (Black and White Crush)

DELTA E

These are just some of the controls and values that have to be adjusted. Oh, did I say each of these reacts with the other controls? Now without instruments ,how can you set all of these optimally?

Do you mean that this equipment have internal/electrical connection with monitor to make adjustments with the inaccessible or hidden menus as these are not the same with those found in the remote? Or should you we know somebody from the dealership that knows the codes how to access the hidden menus?    

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Jul 22, 2008 at 10:32 PM »
Do you mean that this equipment have internal/electrical connection with monitor to make adjustments with the inaccessible or hidden menus as these are not the same with those found in the remote? Or should you we know somebody from the dealership that knows the codes how to access the hidden menus?    

The codes for the service menus are generally available in the internet. You need to press a sequence of buttons sa remote. But I really wouldn't recommend to touch the settings unless you are absolutely sure that you know what you are doing. You may also void the warranty if you do that.

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM »

If this is the case, does it means that the brand/manufacturer has a poor quality control?  It is true that each unit is unique as compared to other same units in the same brand and model, but the difference or uniqueness should be not so great that the quality of one will be better (or worst) than the others.  Isn't it that each unit is assembled in accordance to a specific standard for that model?  And if a unit does not pass the standard it will be rejected and bumped-off the assembly line.  If a brand or manufacturer strictly follows a certain standard in their assembly line, each model produced will have the same quality, a "clone" of the original prototype of that model.  This is the reason why I also believe that we can use the "professional settings" (the ones we can access readily, not in the service menu) as reference.  The user can then tweak the reference settings to meet his/her personal taste.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2008 at 02:15 PM by fnvillafuerte »
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 12:27 PM »
If this is the case, does it means that the brand/manufacturer has a poor quality control?  It is true that each unit is unique as compared to other same units in the same brand and model, but the difference or uniqueness should be not so great that the quality of one will be better (or worst) than the others.  Isn't it that each unit is assembled in accordance to a specific standard for that model?  And if a unit does not pass the standard it will be rejected and bumped-off the assembly line.  In summary, if a brand or manufacturer strictly follows a certain standard in their assembly line, each model they produce should be of the same quality, a "clone" of the original prototype of that model.

I can't argue with you because your statement is quite logical. I am just speaking from experience.

I am certain that the settings in the service menu of my pj (which is pretty high-end) is unique. It seems like the manufacturer tweaks each unit after production and the settings vary from unit to unit. I have heard the same thing about other displays.

Based on what I have seen, as long as you do the calibration right, each unit for a particular brand and model will have the same output. But you still need to calibrate.

Also keep this in mind - displays change characteristics over time. After some months (depending on usage), you need to redo the calibration.

Offline j3yps

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Jul 24, 2008 at 10:04 PM »
Sa mga nagpaparent nung calibrator...interested po ako...

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 03:08 PM »
sa mga sirs:
hindi po kaya ma-void ang warranty if calibration was done using software like spyder, etc??
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2008 at 03:17 PM by surg »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #190 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 04:22 PM »
sa mga sirs:
hindi po kaya ma-void ang warranty if calibration was done using software like spyder, etc??

no it won't becuase you don't open up the tv anyway, the gadget is just attached to the screen itself to get the reading. tweaking of the settings is done through the set's menu naman kaya there is nothing done to the tv that woulg void its warrranty.

some audio/video stores like s&s actually do free calibration after the 100 hours viewing as an added value service.  ;D

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #191 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 05:41 PM »
no it won't becuase you don't open up the tv anyway, the gadget is just attached to the screen itself to get the reading. tweaking of the settings is done through the set's menu naman kaya there is nothing done to the tv that woulg void its warrranty.

some audio/video stores like s&s actually do free calibration after the 100 hours viewing as an added value service.  ;D

sir, just a clarification .... does this mean that if I buy a spyder or other device of the likes ... i'll be able to calibrate my tv without accessing the service menus mentioned in the previous responses
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Jul 25, 2008 at 06:16 PM »

thanks

Offline young_Miklo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 02:54 PM »
if you bought you tv from sights and sounds, avail of their free spyder calibration. it really made a difference with my lcd

Offline rockster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 05:22 PM »
In my situation, I agree.  I both have a plasma and a PJ.   The improvement in the calibrated PQ is so much noticeable in the huge screen.   Ive tried a basic DIY calibration in my plasma thru AVIA, and the improvement was subtle.  And it was really hard doing calibration with those color filters.   

does this mean that plasma's have better color management and have more accurate colors off the shelf?  or is it just plain more difficult to calibrate?

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 07:27 PM »
if you bought you tv from sights and sounds, avail of their free spyder calibration. it really made a difference with my lcd

i want also to avail of their free calibration... kaso dadalhin kasi unit sa shop... tinatamad lang ako hehehehe
sana pwede home service :)

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #196 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 07:51 PM »
i want also to avail of their free calibration... kaso dadalhin kasi unit sa shop... tinatamad lang ako hehehehe
sana pwede home service :)

If you bought your unit from S&S, you are entitled to get 1 free calibration, all you have to do is inform them of your schedule, and they'll visit you at your most convenient time. They even visited me here in Nueva Ecija for my calibration.

Cheers

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 07:57 AM »
If you bought your unit from S&S, you are entitled to get 1 free calibration, all you have to do is inform them of your schedule, and they'll visit you at your most convenient time. They even visited me here in Nueva Ecija for my calibration.

Cheers

pwede pala, walking distance lang ako sa shangri-la eh... matawagan nga si ser vic :) ty

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 08:12 AM »
I think it won't matter if the calibration would include via Service Menu. Just be sure whoever does it is an authorized dealer. Otherwise you might get a dressing down if you bring your damaged unit to an authorized  service center. :P Samsung and Panasonic will void your warranty.  >:(
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2008 at 08:20 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline darth_rye

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 08:46 AM »
Sir!

Ask ko lang po if SnS do calibration service to unit not purchase with them? tska if pede home service?

Salamat po!  ;D

Offline surg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 09:32 AM »
@Vic:

kelan kaya uli magagawi mga bata mo dito? gusto ko sana magpa-calibrate ;D

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 04:52 PM »
Sir!

Ask ko lang po if SnS do calibration service to unit not purchase with them? tska if pede home service?

Salamat po!  ;D

i just found out here that they do home service, di ko pa naconfirm kay ser vic.
but for units not purchased with them baka hindi pwede unless may bilhin ka siguro other item with them ;)

Offline kelz

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 04:57 PM »
home service naman talaga yung spyder calibration ni sir victor.  :)

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 05:10 PM »
bakit parang may nabsa ako sa thread ng panapv8 etc na it will VOID the warranty kung ipacalibrate?
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #204 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 06:52 PM »
@Vic:

kelan kaya uli magagawi mga bata mo dito? gusto ko sana magpa-calibrate ;D

And ang hinihiram ko din kay Vic para madala na niya,....

SARS....

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
Color Calibration and Sights and Sounds
« Reply #205 on: Oct 26, 2008 at 09:58 PM »
We at Sights and Sounds always try find ways to improve our services to our customers, we just don't want you to walk away with your purchase. We also want you to bring home the many years of experience we've had in the AUDIO-VISUAL industry. One of these unique experience is called COLOR CALIBRATION.

Getting your HDTV's colors right takes more than good eyesight
Most TV sets are shipped out from the factory with color, brightness and contrast turned up too high.  This creates unnatural pictures, plus of course, it could either damage the TV panel with burn-in or shorten the life of your TV due to overly bright lighting level. 

To depend on the naked eye in adjusting the TV picture settings is a hit or miss affair.  To get a right picture, we need scientific method like Spyder colorimeter TV calibration.  Spyder scientifically calculates the correct adjustments to brightness, contrast, color, tint and temperature. This solution optimizes your viewing experience in the following:

• Ultimate Color Accuracy for your Home Theater
View your images the way the director intended. Get accurate colors, lifelike skin tones, and clearly defined shadow and highlight detail. Spyder precisely calibrates all of your Plasma, RPTV, DLP, LCD, CRT TVs and Front Projectors.

• Save Energy*
Calibration can save a bundle on the annual operating costs of a TV. A Spyder calibrated set will properly adjust the brightness and contrast and reduce the amount of electricity consumed by the display.

• Extends the life of your television
The life of your television backlight and LCD tubes will be extended by adjusting your set to the appropriate brightness and contrast levels. They will be operating at the optimal (not maximum) lighting levels.

• Spyder Technology
State-of-the-art optical design and new 7 detector color engine provide industry- leading performance. Spyder scientifically determines the optimal settings for your display using the sliders that exist in the user menu of your TV.

The Spyder does not access TV service menu to adjust picture. The Spyder simply is an objective method for calibrating television. It takes the subjectivity out of the decision making in manual adjustment of picture settings, allowing for a better chance at getting an accurate picture.

To give you a teaser on how this scientific process works. We did a round of calibration on three of the most popular 32 inch LCD Televisions fixed at 1080i scan rate:

1. Toshiba 32AV500
2. Samsung 32A450
3. Panasonic 32LX80

Here is a set of pictures of these units uncalibrated and set at default dynamic compared to how they look after calibration:

Toshiba default vs Toshiba calibrated

Samsung calibrated vs Samsung default

Panasonic calibrated vs Panasonic default

Toshiba calibrated vs Samsung calibrated

Samsung calibrated vs Panasonic calibrated

We believe that all T.V's, regardless of brand have hidden potentials and these visual potentials could be SAFELY UNLOCKED via color calibration.

Come and visit us at Sights and Sounds and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you,
Sights and Sounds

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Color Calibration and Sights and Sounds
« Reply #206 on: Oct 27, 2008 at 09:12 AM »
Sir i have a 32" Sony W series however i didn't purchase it at SnS can i avail of your service? Thanks!

Offline brogger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Oct 27, 2008 at 09:21 AM »
-Ditto-

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Oct 27, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
Sir i have a 32" Sony W series however i didn't purchase it at SnS can i avail of your service? Thanks!

-Ditto-

We charge P3K for TV calibration within Metro Manila.

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Oct 27, 2008 at 09:46 AM »
We charge P3K for TV calibration within Metro Manila.

Thank you very much! Will just PM you or call SnS. Sana may discount sa mga pdvd members...  ::)