Author Topic: Picture Calibration  (Read 34302 times)

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Color Calibration and Sights and Sounds
« Reply #210 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 04:44 PM »
Toshiba Price Drop!

32AV500 at cash P30,500. Free wall bracket. Free Spyder TV calibration.

Available at Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza. For particular, call 634-1789 to 90. Mobile 09175413491.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #211 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 05:40 PM »
Getting your HDTV's colors right takes more than good eyesight
Most TV sets are shipped out from the factory with color, brightness and contrast turned up too high.  This creates unnatural pictures, plus of course, it could either damage the TV panel with burn-in or shorten the life of your TV due to overly bright lighting level. 

To depend on the naked eye in adjusting the TV picture settings is a hit or miss affair.  To get a right picture, we need scientific method like Spyder colorimeter TV calibration.  Spyder scientifically calculates the correct adjustments to brightness, contrast, color, tint and temperature. This solution optimizes your viewing experience in the following:

I fully agree with your statement that you need more than your eyes to properly calibrate a display. I also agree that the default settings of most displays are not accurate. You need the right equipment, patterns and software to calibrate correctly.

With respect to brightness, contrast, color and tint, however, in my experience, you only need test patterns to get them right. You can get these patterns in THX movies (such as Star Wars) or calibration discs such as Avia and Video Essentials. I don't think you need a colorimeter.

You will definitely need a colorimeter for color temperature but I am wondering if you do detailed grayscale calibration. Can the displays you mention adjust the RGB bias/gain, without having to go into the Service Menu? Or when you say "temperature," are you actually referring to some rough adjustments like "Vivid," "Cinema," "Normal" or whatever?
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 07:11 PM »
I fully agree with your statement that you need more than your eyes to properly calibrate a display. I also agree that the default settings of most displays are not accurate. You need the right equipment, patterns and software to calibrate correctly.

With respect to brightness, contrast, color and tint, however, in my experience, you only need test patterns to get them right. You can get these patterns in THX movies (such as Star Wars) or calibration discs such as Avia and Video Essentials. I don't think you need a colorimeter.

You will definitely need a colorimeter for color temperature but I am wondering if you do detailed grayscale calibration. Can the displays you mention adjust the RGB bias/gain, without having to go into the Service Menu? Or when you say "temperature," are you actually referring to some rough adjustments like "Vivid," "Cinema," "Normal" or whatever?

The Spyder software does not have provision to calibrate the gray scale and/or RGB bias/gain. Spyder also relies on the pre-set TV temperature.

Offline Reply_SnS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM »
Due to inventory/stock fluctuations and higher cost of importation some items have gone up in price while some have gone down. Please Pm us for updated price list.

Color calibration is still free for every unit purchased from Sights and Sounds.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2008 at 11:16 PM by Reply_SnS »

Offline darth_rye

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 10:27 AM »

Sir, streetsmart thank you sa info!

Learning new knowledge everyday here at pdvd!  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 01:26 PM »
The Spyder software does not have provision to calibrate the gray scale and/or RGB bias/gain. Spyder also relies on the pre-set TV temperature.

This does not sound right. Spyder is a sensor which can be used with different kinds of software. I don't think there is a software that is specific to Spyder. You can even download free software (such as ColorHCFR) which can be used in conjunction with Spyder to do grayscale calibration.

If the calibration only involves the pre-set TV temperature, the benefit will be minimal. It is best to do a full grayscale calibration. The followng site explains this very well and also provides the free ColorHCFR software:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

If you can do grayscale calibration for your customers, that would be a huge service.

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #216 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 12:40 PM »

Boss, I have the complete Star Wars DVD box set where can I find the test patterns?

Tnx

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #217 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 01:09 PM »
streetsmart how about adjusting it thru my htpc (software)? can this yield the same result like that of the color calibration?
ninjababez online ..

Offline samlowry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 03:41 PM »
I bought a toshiba LCD from Sights and sounds and when I asked the installer/delivery guy about the calibration, he seems to be oblivious about it and told me it's only done when the unit has been adjusted by the user.  I think he is bullsh!tting me.  That's what the "reset/default" button is for.

I also hope that the crew in the store could be a tad more friendlier and helpful (tho one of them is quite nice and accomodating).  That's why I ultimately got a panasonic 58pz800  and a 26 inch samsung for the bathroom from Listening in Style.
Panasonic 58pz800u and BD55
Onkyo 876
Ps3/Xbox360
Dynaudio 6.1

Offline Grimlock

• Collector
  • No Magic Mr Slinky!
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 04:06 PM »
Sir, on each disc, you can go to set-up, then there is an icon THX Optimizer, just select the icon and instructions will be given for audio and video test.

Boss, I have the complete Star Wars DVD box set where can I find the test patterns?

Tnx

Offline logan21

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 04:42 PM »
Hi to the people at SnS!  :)

before (matagal na eh around 3mos ago siguro) I went to your store and asked if you calibrate tvs not bought from your store sabi nung nakausap ko hinde daw hehe.. so you charge 3k within metro manila? wala na ba discount? hehe  ;D
Certified Blu-ray Addict!!!

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 04:51 PM »
streetsmart how about adjusting it thru my htpc (software)? can this yield the same result like that of the color calibration?

i am interested with the answer of this.. :)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #222 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 08:57 PM »
Sir, on each disc, you can go to set-up, then there is an icon THX Optimizer, just select the icon and instructions will be given for audio and video test.

Cool! Thanks will check it later.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 06:23 AM »
i am interested with the answer of this.. :)
oo nga bro eh .. since we could adjust the colors and stuff thru the software which ordinary lcd and crt monitors can handle .. :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 08:26 AM »

Frankly, I am not familiar with HTPC's but my suspicion is this - In order to do a grayscale calibration, you need 4 things:

1) Test patterns such as those on Video Essentials or THX DVD's
2) A sensor such as Spyder (or better, EyeOne) to essentially capture the intensity of red, green and blue on the test patterns. The sensor should be connected to a PC
3) On the PC, there should be a software which communicates with the sensor and displays the data captured by the sensor to the PC screen
4) A means to manipulate the RGB bias/gain in your TV or projector

An HTPC may have the test patterns and the software but you still need an external sensor.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 08:29 AM »
Frankly, I am not familiar with HTPC's but my suspicion is this - In order to do a grayscale calibration, you need 4 things:

1) Test patterns such as those on Video Essentials or THX DVD's
2) A sensor such as Spyder (or better, EyeOne) to essentially capture the intensity of red, green and blue on the test patterns. The sensor should be connected to a PC
3) On the PC, there should be a software which communicates with the sensor and displays the data captured by the sensor to the PC screen
4) A means to manipulate the RGB bias/gain in your TV or projector

An HTPC may have the test patterns and the software but you still need an external sensor.
with this explanation bro i think the htpc can do/push it, but in the end calibration really needs a sensor .. :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 10:49 AM »
The test pattern from videocards are not reliable as they are not pre calibrated or are not certified. The best pattern are from high end video generators like the accupel hdg4000 and sencore vp403.
ISF and THX certified calibrators do not use HTPC as their pattern source.
With regards to the spyder sensor, it can be useful for basic calibration but not for critical Greyscale calibration. From my experience with this sensor, the values derived are sometimes more than 10% off the reading made by the I1pro. I am dreaming of the X rite hubble or the Photo research pr 655 as my premium sensor, unless I win the Lotto, the thought will stay in dreamland.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 10:53 AM »
The test pattern from videocards are not reliable as they are not pre calibrated or are not certified. The best pattern are from high end video generators like the accupel hdg4000 and sencore vp403.
ISF and THX certified calibrators do not use HTPC as their pattern source.
With regards to the spyder sensor, it can be useful for basic calibration but not for critical Greyscale calibration. From my experience with this sensor, the values derived are sometimes more than 10% off the reading made by the I1pro. I am dreaming of the X rite hubble or the Photo research pr 655 as my premium sensor, unless I win the Lotto, the thought will stay in dreamland.
ok but i was simply saying, kaya ng video card mag produce ng kulay na kapareho ng calibrated tv ..
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 10:54 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
ok but i was simply saying, kaya ng video card mag produce ng kulay na kapareho ng calibrated tv ..

In the list I made above, I suspect that the video card can handle #4 - it can manipulate the RGB bias/gain. But you still need items 1 to 3. In particular, you need a sensor.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:05 PM »
With regards to the spyder sensor, it can be useful for basic calibration but not for critical Greyscale calibration. From my experience with this sensor, the values derived are sometimes more than 10% off the reading made by the I1pro.

Alvin, I didn't want to mention this pero sinabi mo na rin.  ;D ;D

Ok na sya for some basic calibration but Greyscale calibration will be off by a wide margin. Nonetheless, better than nothing.  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:05 PM by streetsmart »

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 12:41 PM »
Hi to the people at SnS!  :)

before (matagal na eh around 3mos ago siguro) I went to your store and asked if you calibrate tvs not bought from your store sabi nung nakausap ko hinde daw hehe.. so you charge 3k within metro manila? wala na ba discount? hehe  ;D

For discount on calibration, you may wish to call us up at mobile 09175413491.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:16 PM »
In the list I made above, I suspect that the video card can handle #4 - it can manipulate the RGB bias/gain. But you still need items 1 to 3. In particular, you need a sensor.

hi streetsmart, what if let say i just want to "copy" your calibrated unit without the sensor/device.  can we simply place the 2 tv side by side, then ill just tweak mine thru my software up until they, well sortof look "identical".  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:24 PM »
hi streetsmart, what if let say i just want to "copy" your calibrated unit without the sensor/device.  can we simply place the 2 tv side by side, then ill just tweak mine thru my software up until they, well sortof look "identical".  :D

Not possible, for several reasons.

1. The TV's will have to be identical. Different TV models will have different pq capabilities.

2. Even if the TV's are identical, they will each require a unique calibration because each unit is different from the other. Furthermore, after every few hundred hours of usage, you need to redo the calibration. Calibration is not a one-time task.

3. Without a sensor, it is nearly impossible to get the right color mix. There are just too many variables.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:33 PM »
Not possible, for several reasons.
1. The TV's will have to be identical. Different TV models will have different pq capabilities.
2. Even if the TV's are identical, they will each require a unique calibration because each unit is different from the other. Furthermore, after every few hundred hours of usage, you need to redo the calibration. Calibration is not a one-time task.
3. Without a sensor, it is nearly impossible to get the right color mix. There are just too many variables.

thanks for answering my confirming questions bro   :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
Re: DIY Plasma/LCD Calibration via spyder2, HCFR, Calman, etc...
« Reply #234 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 12:19 AM »
Sirs,

Newbie question on calibration - I'm planning to buy Spyder TV or EyePro.  I'd just like to ask if I can calibrate my tv using either one by just modifying the items on the standard menu, and not modifying any settings on the service menu. 

TIA
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #235 on: Nov 18, 2008 at 09:11 AM »
Sir mrm, you should consider doing calibration for a fee!  ;) My friend and I are contemplating on buying the Spyder II, but the calibration steps are intimidating!

Offline [joms]

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #236 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM »
is spyder2 the only available colorimeter/probe here in the philippines? ano ano pa ang available and at what price range? ty
Great minds discuss ideas. Small minds discuss people.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 11:40 AM »
Sirs,

Newbie question on calibration - I'm planning to buy Spyder TV or EyePro.  I'd just like to ask if I can calibrate my tv using either one by just modifying the items on the standard menu, and not modifying any settings on the service menu. 

TIA

Spyder and EyePro have the same function. They are both sensors. The only difference is that EyePro is more accurate and also more expensive.

If your TV allows you to adjust RGB bias/gain, brightness/contrast etc. (dami kasi terms yun but basically, you should be able to adjust the levels of red, blue and green for the black level and white level) through your standard menu, then that's fine. Otherwise, you need to use the Service Menu through a sequence of buttons on the remote, which you should be able to easily discover through the web.

In any case, if you are careful, the Service Menu is often better because typically, the steps are finer.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 11:44 AM »
My friend and I are contemplating on buying the Spyder II, but the calibration steps are intimidating!

Yup. It typically takes hours before you can do your first decent calibration. And it may take many tries before you get really good at it. There is also an art to it because at the very low IRE levels, the sensors are pretty inaccurate so you have to start using your eyes.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #239 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM »
Spyder and EyePro have the same function. They are both sensors. The only difference is that EyePro is more accurate and also more expensive.

If your TV allows you to adjust RGB bias/gain, brightness/contrast etc. (dami kasi terms yun but basically, you should be able to adjust the levels of red, blue and green for the black level and white level) through your standard menu, then that's fine. Otherwise, you need to use the Service Menu through a sequence of buttons on the remote, which you should be able to easily discover through the web.

In any case, if you are careful, the Service Menu is often better because typically, the steps are finer.

Sir, thanks for the feedback, follow-up question lang ... i'm using a Panasonic 42pv8 - can i calibrate the unit using just the standard menus?

TIA
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J