Author Topic: Picture Calibration  (Read 34243 times)

Offline j3yps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Picture Calibration
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM »
mga dudes meron ako AVIA home theatre guide for sale... ;)

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 07:53 PM »
mga dudes meron ako AVIA home theatre guide for sale... ;)

Dude, I'm interested.  For faster transaction, please contact me at 0919-2205626.

Thanks.
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2008 at 07:58 PM »
Ang maganda niyan kasama na yung mag ca-calibrate. Meron kasi ako niyan.
BUt I don't think I was able to "really" calibrate my LCD :(:(:(
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline bongerds

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 12:14 PM »
Can these calibration devices / softwares be utilized by a non-tech person?  The entry level Sypder looks tempting but how often are you gonna use it - that's the question...

Click > Spyer2

Click > Spyder2 Pro

Yes, these devices are quite easy to use.  These calibrators are intended for photog, artist or designers who manipulate their images/colors to render the correct color.  For TV viewing, pwede rin if you are after the correct colors.

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 06:29 AM »
Is this calibrator thing really effective? Kasi based on experienced ibaba ang mga picture calibration of every type of sources, such as dvd and TV,  Just like TV broadcast, there are channels that have different picture image compared to other channels. You still have to make adjustments when you change channels to suit the image to your taste. Tapos may ambient light factor pa...unless you have a dedicated hometheater that have a controlled lighting anytime of the day. You still have to make adjustments every now and then to your taste. You cant just leave evrything to the gadget. In my opinion, as long as you understand what the controls are intended for and its effect when adjusted, you dont really need to buy a picture calibrator to attain best picture image of your TV. Trust your eyes and make the real world as reference when making adjustment.

Offline mrm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 06:37 AM »
Can these calibration devices / softwares be utilized by a non-tech person?  The entry level Sypder looks tempting but how often are you gonna use it - that's the question...

Click > Spyer2

Click > Spyder2 Pro

Hi, I just wanted to ask if anybody here owns the spyder2 express? Because I  have read on their website is that it is only for calibrating monitors that are
connected to a pc or laptop. How is it possible to calibrate a LCD or Plasma with this?  Thanks

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #36 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 07:33 AM »
The Spyder2Express is for PC monitors. What you need for TV calibration is the Spyder2TV. I believe this one comes with a DVD that will give the appropriate color signals to your TV.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 07:45 AM »
Is this calibrator thing really effective? Kasi based on experienced ibaba ang mga picture calibration of every type of sources, such as dvd and TV,  Just like TV broadcast, there are channels that have different picture image compared to other channels. You still have to make adjustments when you change channels to suit the image to your taste. Tapos may ambient light factor pa...unless you have a dedicated hometheater that have a controlled lighting anytime of the day. You still have to make adjustments every now and then to your taste. You cant just leave evrything to the gadget. In my opinion, as long as you understand what the controls are intended for and its effect when adjusted, you dont really need to buy a picture calibrator to attain best picture image of your TV. Trust your eyes and make the real world as reference when making adjustment.

I suspect you are very correct that different TV channels require different picture adjustments. For TV, I think that you can just use AVIA or Video Essentials.

For DVD viewing, a more sophisticated video calibration done by a pro might be useful. However, it can cost you a lot of money. Maybe P10k.

In any case, even with a properly-calibrated set, it is still useful to adjust the controls per film, depending on the particular film. Some are over-exposed, others under-exposed, etc. Kaya lang, fine-tuning na lang yun.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
DIY Plasma/LCD Calibration via spyder2, HCFR, Calman, etc...
« Reply #38 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 05:51 PM »
hi,
       I would just like to get feedbacks from pinoydvd members here who do their calibration themselves.  I just bought a spyder2 express
and found out that the software that came with it is not capable of calibrating LCD's/Plasmas. In order to calibrate those, it has to be paired
with other third party softwares like HCFR, Calman, Rader etc... I found this link on the web that explains how to calibrate plasmas/lcds with
spyder2 colorimter and HCFR (freeware program).

The link is http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528641
                       (follow the thread created by "runtime")

Has anyone tried this method? Care to share your experiences. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008 at 05:52 PM by mrm »

Offline bigshot_inter

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: DIY Plasma/LCD Calibration via spyder2, HCFR, Calman, etc...
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 06:41 PM »
the spyder 2 express is mainly for pc use and creates accurate color ICC profiles for use in programs such as adobe photoshop. Great for photo editing!!! I purchased one myself from theaterworks. I believe colorvision has a spyder version specifically for calibrating TVs.

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 06:42 PM »
I suspect you are very correct that different TV channels require different picture adjustments. For TV, I think that you can just use AVIA or Video Essentials.

For DVD viewing, a more sophisticated video calibration done by a pro might be useful. However, it can cost you a lot of money. Maybe P10k.

In any case, even with a properly-calibrated set, it is still useful to adjust the controls per film, depending on the particular film. Some are over-exposed, others under-exposed, etc. Kaya lang, fine-tuning na lang yun.

Correct,  though you only need fine tuning...it would still boil down to understanding and familiarizing what does each control do to the picture in your TV otherwise maling parameters ang ma e-adjust mo. Hence, you might need again the services of a calibrator... and that's money...

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 07:35 PM »
the spyder 2 express is mainly for pc use and creates accurate color ICC profiles for use in programs such as adobe photoshop. Great for photo editing!!! I purchased one myself from theaterworks. I believe colorvision has a spyder version specifically for calibrating TVs.

hi, yes they have another product specifically for tv's. But from what I have read so far is the spyder2 colorimeter that came with the spyder2 express
is just the same as the one that came with other products like spydertv or spyder2pro.

Here is the excerpt taken from this link that says so. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528641

Note: All Spyder2 products (Express, Pro and TV) use the same hardware colorimeter so you should encounter no problem using either in conjunction with the HCFR software.

Thus we can also calibrate lcds and plasmas albeit using different program like HCFR which is free.

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 07:53 PM »
hi, here is a quote from sir jeff regarding this matter also;

Hi,

my client told me today that you have to down load HCFR to your pc then you'll be able to use it for your plasma, they have calibrated hitachi and samsung already since they got it last week. And so for they told me it works out fine. I dont have one myself due to i trust my eyes w/my judgement. But i'll wait for our units to arrive again and i'll open one.

I'll give you an update once i get hold of the units next week. But try to download the HCFR 1st, cause the spyderTV is also using the same tool only the program is different.

regards,
jeff

and this one also;

just got this from the net. follow the ff:

Get the Spyder2 express, Use the probe that comes with the package, which is the same as Spyder TV probe.

Then download HCFR software which is much better than Spyder software. Installed it in your computer
Download and burn the iso file from HCFR on DVD.
Play the DVD on your player and start calibration.

Prepare to spend quite a bit of time, but time spent is worth it.

hope this helps sir. ;)

jeff

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #43 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 09:00 PM »
Thank you for the info!

I have a Spyder2Express because of my DSLR hobby. I'm also on the verge of buying an LCD TV. I'll certainly give this a try.

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:23 PM »
Thank you for the info!

I have a Spyder2Express because of my DSLR hobby. I'm also on the verge of buying an LCD TV. I'll certainly give this a try.

Hi, Yes. Let's share all our calibration settings when the time comes. Me, I'm still waiting for my burn-in period for my plasma to end before I
can try calibrating with my spyder2 colorimeter and hcfr.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:54 PM »
Excellent informational thread.  I ordered a Spyder2 Express myself, still in transit though.  Intend to calibrate my LCD and DLP panels, plus the LCD/TFT pc monitors as well. 

Do post your experiences with the Spyder mga sir, much appreciated.

Cheers!  ;)

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 09:10 AM »
Mga sirs,

I was able to download the english version of HCFR pls ff this link and down load Software Version 2.0.1 (8mb)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/ColorHCFR/index_en.php

after download then burn it to dvd then you can use your spyder probe together w/this program. ;)

This is what i saw inside, but you have to download it 1st. Di ko pa kabisado, i'm still learning it. :D

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008 at 10:32 AM by Nemesis91 »

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 10:49 AM »
i'm downloading it now, maybe after i learn how to use this i will buy the spyder...

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 10:56 AM »
Mga sirs,

I was able to download the english version of HCFR pls ff this link and down load Software Version 2.0.1 (8mb)

after download then burn it to dvd then you can use your spyder probe together w/this program. ;)

Superb!!!  Thanks a bunch Jeff.  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008 at 10:57 AM by marl1 »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 12:27 PM »
If anyone bought a spyder calibration & used it for their Panasonic 32LX77 - pwede nyo kaya i-share sa akin yung settings? Baka lang naman kung okay lang sa inyo ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008 at 12:28 PM by macdon »

Offline otepsy

• Collector
  • quality over quantity...
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 04:43 PM »
If anyone bought a spyder calibration & used it for their Panasonic 32LX77 - pwede nyo kaya i-share sa akin yung settings? Baka lang naman kung okay lang sa inyo ;D

i think it would not work because the calibration depends on the lighting environment and the dvd player. each unit has different settings...even though you have the same tv and dvd player still wouldn't work because you have different environment... 

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 04:53 PM »
i think it would not work because the calibration depends on the lighting environment and the dvd player. each unit has different settings...even though you have the same tv and dvd player still wouldn't work because you have different environment... 

True enough - but I was merely gunning the idea for testing purposes and not taking it as gospel. Besides, if I dont like it, pwede naman cguro bumalik sa default eh :D

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 05:59 PM »
Mga sirs,

This is what i saw inside, but you have to download it 1st. Di ko pa kabisado, i'm still learning it. :D

Hi sir, I'm a little confused when you said "after download then burn it to dvd", did you mean the PATTERNS DVD? Because I think we do not need to
burn the HCFR program to a dvd because we need only to install it to a pc and not play it on the dvd. What we need to burn is the PATTERNS DVD so
that we can play on the dvd while the HCFR is running on the pc as in this picture;

My only problem now is the PATTERNS DVD is in PAL format. Were you able to play it on your dvd player? Did you convert it to NTSC?

Many Thanks, sir.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008 at 06:13 PM by mrm »

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 09:13 PM »
hi to all,
          Just wanted to ask those technical people here if they can share their knowledge concerning service menu commands,
like Rcut, Bcut,Gcut and their respective drvs. From the research I made I think this will be needed if the optimum color settings can not be achieved anymore in
the user menu settings when calibrating the unit. Hope someone can share their experiences.

Just wanted to add something to this taken from the web;

Here are some of the 'useful' settings :

RCUT, GCUT and BCUT are known as the colour cut-offs
     RDRV, GDRV and BDRV are known as the colour drives

Many of the remaining settings are not relevant to our calibration needs, and are likely to cause more harm than good should
     you change them so be careful when tweaking.

Each service menu setting is displayed in three columns: in the first column there is the setting name, the second column contains
     the setting value in hexadecimal notation, and the third column contains the same value in binary notation. The binary column can
     be ignored, it is not relevant to the controls that interest us.

The drives manage the luminance levels and as we've discussed these need to be balanced using the 'continuous measures mode'.
     Each time you increase the value luminance increases, similarly decreasing the value results in a decrease in luminance. In my case,
     I wanted to decrease blue over-saturation, so I decremented the BDRV until it was brought into balance with the other two colours.
     Typically, when balancing you leave GDRV untouched so that it acts as a reference level.

The cut-off controls are used to balance the dark end of the grey-scale, while the drive controls balance the bright end of the grey-scale.
    You use them by balancing colours using the method I described earlier, only at a very low IRE level (< 20% grey / 20 IRE); however I'm
     not confident in Spyder 2's ability to report accurately at low light levels so I did not modify them.

As before, you adjust the red and blue cut-off controls to balance, leaving the green cut-off control as a reference.

p.s. I'm trying to post my researches here so when the time comes somebody tries this methods we can share our experiences and
     results.

Thanks

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2008 at 08:04 PM by mrm »

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 04:19 PM »
hi to all, Here are my initial HCFR results. settings used are out of the box defaults.
I used cinema mode with everything set to default except for sharpness which I lowered down to 35. My tv is
pana 42pv70.

Here are my out of the box results: (all  are initial results only, no calibration done yet)

My first pic is the RGB diagram, below it is what it should look like after calibration (taken from another site)

My initial RGB

My target RGB

As you can see my initial grey scale measure  and compare it to our target graph. you can see that the BLUE level is
so way off, almost 30% over saturated. My RED level is also under saturated by about 10%. Only the GREEN level
is on target in my initial result. The other big difference is the MAGENTA line is missing from the graph. (this magenta line
plots the delta E which is the degree to which RGB level defer in their saturations which I will tackle along also). It just means
that my blue level is so way out that my DELTA E line is off the charts.

Lots of work needed here to be able to meet target.

Next will be my initial color temperature diagram...

thanks

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2008 at 07:22 PM by mrm »

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 04:33 PM »
hi,

Here is my initial color temperature graph;

My initial color temperature graph

My target color temperature graph

as you can see here, even at my warmest setting which is cinema mode my display is still way in
excess of 6500k, and as a result there's just no way my tv can output D65 white(When we calibrate against D65
we are trying to achieve the colour white with a 'temperature' of 6500K,it is like the midday sun werein movies shot
at this time provides the optimum conditions for natural illumination); black levels andcontrast ratio are nowhere near
as good as they can be. Clearly the blue over-saturation plaguing my set hascaused the light to be cooler / bluer and
raised the overall colour temperature.

Note: some technical details are taken from this site, if you want further explanation click link.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528641

Next my initial gamma and luminance graph.

thanks
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2008 at 05:51 PM by mrm »

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 05:22 PM »
ang my initial gamma graph:

My initial gamma graph

My target gamma graph
Here I must achieve something around 2.2 average for everything to be balance.

My initial luminance graph

My target luminance graph

Thanks.. next CIE diagram
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2008 at 05:43 PM by mrm »

Offline mrm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 05:46 PM »
and lastly my CIE Diagram;

My initial graph

My target graph

Okay. those were all my out of the box results using HCFT and the spyder2 colorimeter.
Next week I will try to begin my calibration...

Thanks

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 09:17 AM »
Nice work sir, keep us posted! :)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 04:22 PM »
Wow, superb useful info!  Many thanks sir, please continue posting your feedback.  It would considerably help us cut down on the learning curve.  ;)