Author Topic: Star Wars (Original) Trilogy on DVD  (Read 39776 times)

Offline coldspermofgrief

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Dont try 2 touch my heart it's darker than u think
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:STAR WARS TRILOGY in DVD ?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 08:06 PM »
I don't think that a "Clone Wars" dvd will be coming out soon because they will release chapters 11 - 20 on spring 2004.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #61 on: Nov 21, 2003 at 11:17 AM »
From thedigitalbits.com:

One other note today... we've heard from a number of interesting (and we believe reliable) inside sources that Lucsafilm is currently making major new changes to the original Star Wars films - the kind of changes he began a few years ago with the theatrical "Special Edition" releases. These changes include new special effects, revised and updated shots and scenes, and new footage shot with actors Hayden Christensen (Anakin) and Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor) that would flesh out moments with their characters in the original films. For example, an aged and scarred Hayden now appears as Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi when Luke removes Vader's helmet. Among the other changes reportedly being made are the restoration of the original "Han shoots first" moment from Star Wars and a revamped lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan and Vader. What we've heard meshes with what we've been told before, which is that Lucas has always planned to release ultimate, "Archive" editions of these films that tie in better with the new prequels. The main question in our minds now is this: will these changes be completed in time to appear on the DVD releases planned for next September, or will we have to wait until after Episode III hits theaters to see them? And if we have to wait, what versions will appear on the DVDs? Time will tell.

As if SW fans needed more reasons to get the OT boxed set!  :D
We deserve better.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #62 on: Jan 23, 2004 at 07:34 PM »
Updates from TheForce.Net:

In November 2004 we'll see the Original Trilogy on DVD! There probably won't be any added scenes, simply the 3 Special Edition films along with with a bonus 4th disk. Basically they're going to take the Indy trilogy to use as a model.  Also included will be Episode 3 teaser material!

The Indy boxed set just became the best selling boxed set ever. They expect SW to take that title, later this year. No news of any 6 DVD boxed sets or the classic versions of the film.

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2004 at 07:35 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 02:02 PM »
It's more than 25 years na since the first Star Wars Episode 4.  Comapaing the first on VHS with the last installment reveals the age of the very first.  Maybe it's time for Lucas to do a REMAKE of the first trilogy.  Afterall, i remember him saying he wasn't all that happy with the first Star Wars.  I think most remakes are done for films that are around 25 years old.

I am sure we have a lot of new actors and actresses who can  fill the roles of Hans Solo, Leia and Luke Skywalker just as well or better.  No offence to fans of the original actors.   ;D

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 03:59 PM »
err no. bad idea.

we are getting the 1997 rerelease of the Orignal Trilogy anyway..

along with the stupid "Greedo Shoots First" ofcourse..

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:04 PM »
maybe if Lucas will take some lessons from Jackson on how to REALLY make a good fantasy movie, then i think he can do a remake of whatever movie he wants.

for me, the original 3 star wars movies are still the best. episodes 1 & 2 just doesn't make me eager to see episode 3 anymore.
Picture quality over plot

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:33 PM »
Yup I agree Lucas should take some cues from Jackson.  Frankly I can't see why it takes him so long to come out with the isntallments, two years in the making and the results aren't anywhere near the LOTR.  Jackson shot and finished the entire trilogy in one continuous production sked and released them one year after the other.  

It's ironic, but  I think Jackson actually had Lucas as some kind of consultant for LOTR, right?  

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:36 PM »
i don't know, but i don't think so. because if he made Lucas his consultant, then he would have craped up the LOTR trilogy just like Lucas did to Episodes 1 and 2  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:41 PM »
err no. bad idea.

we are getting the 1997 rerelease of the Orignal Trilogy anyway..

along with the stupid "Greedo Shoots First" ofcourse..

Well, bad idea or not, Lucas is taking such a long time releasing that trilogy, i would think he is doing some CGI make overs of those films so that the DVD might look glorious but different from the origs.  I remember him say he wasn't all that happy with them anyway.  Star Wars episode 4  was shot on a shoe string budget, if not mistaken.  So now with all his money, he can afford to retiouch the entire thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if he would insert some scenes from episodes 1,2,and 3 as some form of flashbacks in the retouched  trilogy.  

That was what had me thinking why not do a remake na lang.  Afterall, Ewan Mcgregor can age more gracefully as Obi-wan,  he doesn't look any bit like Alex Guiness by any stretch of the imagination.  
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:42 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:44 PM »
BOTTOM LINE: The Lord of the Rings is the stuff of George Lucas' dreams!!!

Make way for the King!!!!!!!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:46 PM »
i don't know, but i don't think so. because if he made Lucas his consultant, then he would have f**ked up the LOTR trilogy just like Lucas did to Episodes 1 and 2  ;D

That should tell you that genius can't be dictated upon.  I'll watch the LOTR special features again, as I could have sworn I came across a part where Jackson said he consulted with Lucas.  
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:47 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 04:50 PM »
For those 2 years in the making period, The episode 3 must be such a good film to top off the Star Wars Saga ala ROTK for LOTR.  And it should at least merit Lucas an Oscar nomincation for best in oicture and directorship come 2006.   Shame on him if he doesn't.

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 29, 2004 at 06:45 PM »
i, too, would also like the original trilogy remade. but then, the purist inside me doesn't want anything changed either. (sir alec guiness rocks!) well, it's really up to big george.

i'm looking forward for the original trilogy DVDs this year. but then, they might release a boxset with all 6 episodes too.

ergh. desicions, decisions...  :P
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2004 at 06:47 PM by animated »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 12:22 PM »
Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford are great in their roles in the Stars Wars Trilogy.  But i just feel  current actors can also do justice to the parts.  Peter Cushing and Alex Guiness were also great.  

At the rate Lucas is going, he might as well go into a remake.  But this time, pls, only a year apart between sequels, not 2.    Off hand I could think of Jennifer Lpez or Uma Thurman,  Leonardo Di Caprio and Ben Aflleck who can fill the 3 lead roles.  James Cromwell can fill the role of Peter Cushing.  James Earl Jones is still alive to voice Darth.  Otherwise, Jeremy Irons' voice is just as menacing.  Oh well, these are just my fantasies for a remake.  
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:08 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 12:54 PM »
"this time, pls, only a year apart between sequels, not 2"

That is impossible. shooting only takes 2 months. POST production is what takes up the most amount of time.

Star wars is 95% CGI.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 12:54 PM »

It's ironic, but  I think Jackson actually had Lucas as some kind of consultant for LOTR, right?  

From what I remember watching the documentaries on the Extended Edition of Fellowship, Lucas provided WETA the stuff they use for animatics, that's about it.

Personally, I don't care what Lucas does: if he does a remake with completely new actors, new scenes, homosexual undertones, etc., he's already ruined the saga as far as I'm concerned. But he'd better release the original trilogy as it was meant to be, no CGI, no added scenes. Contrary to popular belief, Lucas does not own Star Wars. I suppose its true legally, but the films were a collaboration of many talented individuals.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2004 at 01:03 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:11 PM »
"this time, pls, only a year apart between sequels, not 2"

That is impossible. shooting only takes 2 months. POST production is what takes up the most amount of time.

Star wars is 95% CGI.

Doesm't that nmake a 95% CGI film even faster to make?  Anyway, the model I was using is that of LOTR where PJ shot almost all the scense for the three installments and along the way, released the parts a year apart.  

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:15 PM »
From what I remember watching the documentaries on the Extended Edition of Fellowship, Lucas provided WETA the stuff they use for animatics, that's about it.

Personally, I don't care what Lucas does: if he does a remake with completely new actors, new scenes, homosexual undertones, etc., he's already ruined the saga as far as I'm concerned. But he'd better release the original trilogy as it was meant to be, no CGI, no added scenes. Contrary to popular belief, Lucas does not own Star Wars. I suppose its true legally, but the films were a collaboration of many talented individuals.

That's a revelation.to me.  Doesn't he own the copyright to the entire Star Wars book from the very start?  And also the movie rights to it?  If not who does?

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:16 PM »
Peter Jackson and company had a big advantage because they had the complete story already. They knew what they needed to make for the movie. That way, production can get started alongside the creation of the script. That's why they got it done so quickly.

The Star Wars crew had to wait for George Lucas to finish his script before the production could really begin.

Actually (I'm guessing here), if Lucas had produced his films the way Jackson had Rings done: using on-location shooting, miniatures and CG, the gap between sequels would have taken even longer.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:19 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:32 PM »
"Doesm't that nmake a 95% CGI film even faster to make?  Anyway, the model I was using is that of LOTR where PJ shot almost all the scense for the three installments and along the way, released the parts a year apart.  "

No it does not. if you watch yung making of sa DVD, they take months just to finish a small sequence.

anyway, only thing ILM provided weta was that they taught them the usefulness of "pre visualization".

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:34 PM »
That's a revelation.to me.  Doesn't he own the copyright to the entire Star Wars book from the very start?  And also the movie rights to it?  If not who does?

Yup, that's what I meant by his owning the franchise legally.

What I meant to say is that Lucas, and many fans, act as if Lucas alone made Star Wars, when the films were a collaboration of talents like Ralph MacQuarrie, Irvin Kershner, the folks at ILM, and to some degree, the fans. Lucas boasts that he's going to redo Star Wars "The way it was meant to be" (Which I don't buy, he obviously had no idea what the prequel storylines were when he was making Eps 4-6.), all the while refusing to release the original Original Trilogy simply because he doesn't consider it relevant anymore. And that is a slap in the face to the many many people who worked hard to make Episodes 4, 5, and (I suppose :)) 6 the classics that they are.

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:50 PM »
What I meant to say is that Lucas, and many fans, act as if Lucas alone made Star Wars, when the films were a collaboration of talents like Ralph MacQuarrie, Irvin Kershner, the folks at ILM, and to some degree, the fans. Lucas boasts that he's going to redo Star Wars "The way it was meant to be" (Which I don't buy, he obviously had no idea what the prequel storylines were when he was making Eps 4-6.), all the while refusing to release the original Original Trilogy simply because he doesn't consider it relevant anymore. And that is a slap in the face to the many many people who worked hard to make Episodes 4, 5, and (I suppose :)) 6 the classics that they are.

Star Wars may have been the end result of different people's contributions but it was Lucas' singluar vision that decided how good the first three were and how bad the prequels became.

There really are "The way it was meant to be" versions of the first trilogy. This is apparent if you have a copy of the Star Wars Annotated Screenplays. The story changed so many times in the succeeding drafts that it is difficult to see how the first draft was related in any way to the shooting script. Whether or not they were changed for storytelling reasons or logistical ones (ie not possible with 1977 effects) it is only Lucas who knows what version he really wanted to make.

But all this arguing is pointless since Lucas has made so much money off of Star Wars such that he does not have to worry about pleasing the fans as much as Peter Jackson had to do.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:50 PM »
Yup I remember that the Empire and Jedi were not directed by Lucas who sat as Exec producer, i think.  But I guess when you're that rich, you can now relax and have someone else do the dirty job for you.  

Maybe Lucas can hire Peter Jackson to do a remake.  
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2004 at 02:50 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jan 30, 2004 at 03:14 PM »
Star Wars may have been the end result of different people's contributions but it was Lucas' singluar vision that decided how good the first three were and how bad the prequels became.

There really are "The way it was meant to be" versions of the first trilogy. This is apparent if you have a copy of the Star Wars Annotated Screenplays. The story changed so many times in the succeeding drafts that it is difficult to see how the first draft was related in any way to the shooting script. Whether or not they were changed for storytelling reasons or logistical ones (ie not possible with 1977 effects) it is only Lucas who knows what version he really wanted to make.

But all this arguing is pointless since Lucas has made so much money off of Star Wars such that he does not have to worry about pleasing the fans as much as Peter Jackson had to do.

Hmm... Interesting points. Though I have my reservations about Lucas having a real vision. From what I gathered, especially from watching the Indy Collection Documentary, Lucas merely gives a big idea and lets others worry about the details.

You're right, though, there's no real point in arguing (unless we can get into Lucas's head)... I wonder if Jackson will ever follow in Big George's footsteps
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2004 at 03:18 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 31, 2004 at 03:08 PM »
after seeing the first two prequels, i'm not too sure about big george's "vision" anymore. the mystique of the original star wars was somewhat destoryed (to me) when big george started to explain certain things about the star wars universe (e.g. those damn midichlorians. ergh.) but then again, lousy or not, it's still his vision. if he wants E.T. to be a jedi, so be it.  ::)

when you think about it, empire and return were waaay better than a new hope. maybe it's a sign that ol' georgie should stay away from the director's chair. and you have to admit, phantom and attack ain't that mind-blowing either, except maybe for the effects, but then almost anyone can make great SFX nowadays. (honestly, i'm not too keen on having star wars being predominantly CGI. why not make the whole movie CGI then?  :P)

oh well, my two cents.

it's going to be a while 'til episode 3. let's see if george will redeem himself.

but as for now, i'm just hoping that the DVDs aren't delayed!
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2004 at 03:09 PM by animated »

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 31, 2004 at 04:17 PM »
He should stay away not just from the director's chair, but especially from the keyboard as well, and let someone else do the script.

I don't know about you, but I cringe at the dialogue in Episodes 1 and 2. Even my young kids do.

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 01, 2004 at 08:35 PM »
aand you have to admit, phantom and attack ain't that mind-blowing either, except maybe for the effects, but then almost anyone can make great SFX nowadays. (honestly, i'm not too keen on having star wars being predominantly CGI. why not make the whole movie CGI then?  :P)

oh well, my two cents.

that's what george lucas lacks..that PJ has! the ability to combine massive sfx and drama.. 8)

anyway,updates for the release of the trilogy.. ;D

The Rebel Scum fan website is reporting that in recent presentations at London's Toy Fair event, Lucasfilm marketing partner TLC Marketing revealed once again that Lucasfilm plans to release Episodes 4, 5 and 6 on DVD format in October or November of 2004. This is just one more piece in a puzzle that's now growing very large and surprisingly clear. Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox aren't commenting on the rumors about the DVD release of the original trilogy, but our industry sources are just giving us too much independent confirmation that the release is in the works. We feel very confident now that it's the real deal - that the Star Wars films ARE finally coming to DVD later in 2004.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2004 at 09:10 PM by johndoe »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 02, 2004 at 11:20 AM »
Maybe they will reach our shores December 2004

Offline RMN