Author Topic: Star Wars (Original) Trilogy on DVD  (Read 39983 times)

Offline sandman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • All your dreams ... in a fistful of sand.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:STAR WARS TRILOGY in DVD ?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 02, 2004 at 03:06 PM »
I don't think Episode 4 to 6 of Star Wars should be "re-taken" or added additional scenes.  Were talking about a classic here, and as in all classics, the original is always the best.

My 10 cents!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Feb 02, 2004 at 03:22 PM »
I don't think Episode 4 to 6 of Star Wars should be "re-taken" or added additional scenes.  Were talking about a classic here, and as in all classics, the original is always the best.

My 10 cents!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

damn right! all george will do to these films is just mess it up... the same way he messed up Episodes 1 & 2 and the same way he'll mess things up with Episode 3!
Picture quality over plot

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Feb 02, 2004 at 04:37 PM »
in my opinion, these are classic films and should be preserved in their original cut.

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Feb 04, 2004 at 12:11 PM »
The most i will consent to is a remixing and remastering of the original audio ala Terminator Soecial Ed. These movies came out in 1977-1983 wayyy before the advent of dolby digital (which i believe started with Batman Returns) and DTS (Jurassic Park).

Other than that i only want the original versions (not even the 1997 special editions) which is why i am taking extremely great care of my 1995 laserdiscs (only pro logic) since at the rate things are going these will be the clearest home video versions of the originals.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Feb 07, 2004 at 12:20 AM »
This is very exciting!  Purist should look at this upcoming Star Wars DVD release as another version apart from the original, and seperate the two.  

Maybe the original cut will still make it to a DVD format if not with this release (like ET) maybe after it.  Hopefully

;D
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2004 at 12:21 AM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #95 on: Feb 07, 2004 at 09:57 AM »
Big news from the Force.net:

We've received information from a reliable source that an official announcement regarding the much rumored Trilogy DVD is expected soon. Our source says next Tuesday (2/10) will bring official word that the Special Edition versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return Of The Jedi will be released in a four disk set on September 21 of this year. No mention was made of additional footage, or the contents of the fourth disk, but more information will likely be known next week.

Looks like it'll be the Special Edition versions of the OT that will be included in the box set.  I'm almost pretty sure that they will remaster the sound, similar to what was done with the Indy box set.  It's the 4th disk which I'm most curious about - I hope it will have loads of special features.  ;D

Make sure to check the Net on Wednesday (Manila time) for the confirmation!
We deserve better.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Feb 07, 2004 at 12:34 PM »
in my opinion, these are classic films and should be preserved in their original cut.

I agree.  But the DVD set may have an orgiinal cut and an enhanced cut.  Just like the Lion King.  If I recall right, the stars wars trilogy have already been re-released theatrically in enhanced form.  The exploding death star was made more realistic;  Jabba the Hut conversing with Han Solo in Episode 4 was inserted.  The celebrations at the end of Episode 6 was more detailed, to mention a few.  So which is the classic one?

For sure the DVD audio will be remastered in 5.1.  Maybe there'll be added scenes like flashbacks to the earlier episodes.

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Feb 08, 2004 at 11:39 AM »
According to the Star Wars fan site TheForce.net a reliable source has told them that the official announcment of the original Star Wars films on DVD will come on Tuesday February 10th.

Rumors also say that we will get the special edition's of the three films in box set with a fourth DVD containing extras. Much like the Indy box. The release date is expected to be September 21st.

Well, this is all rumors so no guarentees but be sure to check back because as soon as it is offical we will have all the details.  8)

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 08:12 AM »
from dvd.ign.com:

Star Wars DVD Announcement Next Week?
Can we believe the Rebel Scum?

February 05, 2004 - The gossip mongers at Rebel Scum and TheForce.net are reporting that Twentieth Century Fox and LucasFilm will formally announce the long-rumored Star Wars trilogy on DVD, possibly next Tuesday, February 10.

The Special Edition versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi will be released in a four-disc set on September 21. The package would be similar to The Adventures of Indiana Jones set released by Paramount last year, with one film per disc and a separate, fourth disc for extras.

No further details were available. Cross your fingers.

-- Andy Patrizio

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 10:03 AM »
Whatever edition Lucas will release, this is a must-buy!  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 04:29 PM »
http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=3382

'tis confirmed for Sept 21.

I'm not entirely happy. But I am satisfied. (I want Han to shoots first, damned it!)

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re:STAR WARS TRILOGY in DVD (Sep 21 !)
« Reply #101 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 12:59 AM »
DVDfile.com seems to confirm the earlier reports.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2004/02_10.html

Offline ThePatriot

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 07:17 AM »
from dvd.ign.com:

Star Wars Trilogy Hits DVD
Four-disc collection set for a September release.

February 10, 2004 - Lucasfilm and Twentieth Century Fox today announced that they would release the anticipated Star Wars trilogy on DVD September 21 in the US and Canada. The movies will be sold exclusively as a four-disc collection. Lucasfilm has not yet set an official price for the compilation.

The set includes Star Wars Episode IV: A new Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, as well as a bonus disc complete with a wide range of special features and extras, including what Lucasfilm describes as "the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga." In addition, the disc will boast new-before-previewed footage from the three classic sci-fi films.

All three movies have been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX and will sport Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX functionality for capable receivers. All three films will likewise feature English, French and Spanish subtitles.

"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, vice president of marketing and distribution for Lucasfilm and the DVD collection's executive producer.

Which editions?
Unconfirmed. Ward, according to an article in the New York Post, says in reference to the special editions: ""We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward added. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

Look for much more on the DVDs in the coming months.

-- IGN

Offline ThePatriot

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 07:41 AM »
from www.thedigitalbits.com:

Hey, what do you know?! Lucasfilm FINALLY went ahead and did it! Just as we'd been hearing from our sources in the last few weeks, The Star Wars Trilogy was officially announced this morning for release on DVD on 09/21/2004. And as we've been saying in The Rumor Mill since last September, it's going to be a 4-disc set of all 3 films - one per disc - plus a 4th disc of all new bonus material, which will include an newly-produced documentary on the making of the films.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the press release was pretty short on details - things like specific disc specs (other than that the films will be THX-certified, will have Dolby Digital 5.1 EX audio, and will only be available as a set). There's no list of the supplemental materials, no cover art and (most importantly) no official word on which version of the films will be released on the discs - the original theatrical versions, the 90s special editions or the ultimate "archive" editions. But we'll have more on that in a minute. Here's the exact text of the press release so you can all read

The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD
February 10, 2004

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.

"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set.

:)

Offline ThePatriot

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 08:16 AM »

Okay, I've just spoken with Lucasfilm's Vice President of Marketing and Distribution, Jim Ward, and I can confirm some details about the Region 1 DVD release of the Star Wars films, which will arrive in stores on September 21st. What follows is everything that's specifically set as of this time.

The release will be a 4-disc set, encompassing 3 movie discs and a 4th bonus disc of supplemental material. All three films will be digitally-remastered and THX-certified, and will be available in anamorphic widescreen video (there MAY also be a separate full frame edition, but this is still TBD). The audio for the films will be English Dolby Digital 5.1 (they may also be EX, although again this is still TBD), with subtitles in English, French and Spanish. The films will also be closed-captioned. Each film will include new audio commentary with creator George Lucas, along with various members of the cast and crew (the specific participants will be announced at a later date). The highlight of the bonus disc will be an all-new, feature-length documentary about the making of the films, which will include never-before-seen footage and other material. There may also be DVD-ROM weblinks to the official Star Wars website (TBD). There WILL be additional supplemental features, which will be announced at a later date. The films will only be available as a box set, the retail price for which has yet to be decided (despite reports to the contrary). I have officially confirmed that the films will be the 1997 Special Edition versions, as determined by Lucas himself. You should also know that, as with the Indiana Jones DVDs, the folks at Lowry Digital are once again involved in the remastering process. They're doing digital restoration and clean-up work on the new masters.

So there you have it. We expect cover art to be available in the months ahead, as the packaging is finalized. We'll keep you up to date on all the bonus material details as soon as they become available.

:)

Offline sandman

• Collector
  • All your dreams ... in a fistful of sand.
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 08:45 AM »

.... I have officially confirmed that the films will be the 1997 Special Edition versions, as determined by Lucas himself. You should also know that, as with the Indiana Jones DVDs, the folks at Lowry Digital are once again involved in the remastering process...

Still a must buy ... but I had hoped (the purist in me, that is) that it would be the original version.  Ok lang sana if they added additional scenes (as in deleted scenes from the movie).  Well, we just can't have everything!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline MiKeBiBbY

• Collector
  • This is our year...
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 09:39 AM »
september 21?! nice! may bday gift na ko for me!!!  8)

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 05:42 PM »
Will definitely save for this one! At least matagal pa!  ;D

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 05:43 PM »
kaprice ito cguro ng indiana boxset... ;D

Offline ThePatriot

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 07:28 PM »
kaprice ito cguro ng indiana boxset... ;D

mukha nga brod, pero kahit mahal mukhang mapapabili pa rin tayo ...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #110 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 08:22 PM »
here's an update!

The Force is Back!

After years of waiting, hype and hope, the rumors can at last be laid to rest: the holy grail of DVD will finally be released this September. Yes, it is the original Star Wars trilogy: Episodes IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (which many regard as the best in the series) and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.
While a full press release has yet to be issued, both Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment confirmed today that the trilogy will touch down on September 21st as a four-disc set, available in both anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, containing the three films plus a bonus fourth disc with extras, a la the top-selling Adventures of Indiana Jones set released late last year. The films will not be sold separately, at least initially, according to Fox representatives.
While the long-held rumor was that George Lucas would wait until the completion of Star Wars Episode III, due in theaters in May 2005, to release the original trilogy on DVD, Lucasfilm VP of Market Jim Ward revealed today that Lucas "found some time" in his schedule and "was willing and eager to make it happen."
Today's announcement came early and without finalized specs due in part to the intense anticipation amongst consumers for the titles. "We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," revealed Ward, not before adding with knowing understatement, "but I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."
According to Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn, both the studio and Lucasfilm arrived at the September 21st date to gain maximum exposure during the holiday season: "We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he explained. "With that in mind, we designed our release strategy to pick the best release date that had the most gentle sales curve decline on home video."
While the full details on what extras will be included in the set are still pending, Ward promises that Lucasfilm "are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the 'Star Wars' films in a fresh and fun way. We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time." He also confirmed that rumors that Lucas would not contribute new audio commentaries to the set are false, although there are as of yet no exact details on which films will receive commentary tracks, and who will be among the participants.
Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally wanted to make."
So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997 editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."
With no press release due for at least several weeks, watch this space for further updates as September 21st approaches. We'll keep you posted, and as always.... May the Force Be With You.

- yahoo dvd news
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline ThePatriot

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 08:34 PM »
september 21?! nice! may bday gift na ko for me!!!  8)

brod magkalapit pala tayo ng birthday, tamang-tama ngang regalo sa sarili natin to ...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 08:45 PM »
well Kill Bil Vol 1 comes out on my birthday rin!

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 09:04 PM »

at last,many years i waited.;D ;D ;D

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 09:13 PM »
err... yoda's been waiting for th original "Han solo shoots first" version, not SEs

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 11:14 PM »
sana sept na!!   ;D
will definitely buy this DVD box set   ;D

Offline animated

• Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 11:15 AM »
"We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

- yahoo dvd news

oh well... big george has spoken. (not a democracy, eh? communist pig!  ;D hehehe...) or maybe we should call him emperor george from now on...  :P (anyone want to start a rebellion?)

well, in any case, SE or the "Original" Original Trilogy, i'm still buying it.  i wanna see what special features are in store for us! sana may sneak peak ng episode 3!  :)

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2004 at 11:16 AM by animated »

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 03:53 PM »
well he's a great businessman for sure hehe  ;D he knows there's a great demand for this films.

but the wait is almost over, we'll have to wait for a few more months for the box set to be released. hope it pushes thru on the given date no postponements  ;D

for a dvd fan, a must have!  hmmmmm....  ;)

i'll have to wait for the preorders in my online shops!

what do you prefer, r1 or r3?

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 04:00 PM »
err tinatanong pa ba yan? obviously R1 if available.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 05:45 PM »
sorry  :o   i thought most buyers here use r3 dvds. i prefer r1 discs because my player can play only r1 discs besides they have better packaging and sometimes cheaper  ;D