Author Topic: Sealed but with Scratches!@#@!*  (Read 20016 times)

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sealed but with Scratches!@#@!*
« on: Aug 10, 2002 at 12:15 AM »
;D Okay, so you were excited to open your newly bought sealed, unadulterated (at least externally),soon-to-be-cherished DVD. But after checking underneath the disc, you let out an almost girlish shriek (assuming you're a boy) because you saw a scratch and in worst case scenario, scratches smiling right in front of you. Then you wail: "This is so unfair!! It's  supposed to be in pristine, flawless condition! I should have gotten the mint being sold at the marketplace!"

Nangyari na ba ito sa inyo? In my case, several times na and though I will mention the titles, I won't mention the sellers where I got them in order  to protect their integrity. After all, it's not their fault (unless they have a plastic resealer)

Here goes:

Die Hard Trilogy UE - Almost all 6 discs have scratches.
Simpsons Season 1
The Red Violin
Fight Club
Rambo Trilogy SE
Ten Commandments
Rush Hour 2 (btw, i'm selling it na hehe)
Mummy Returns

Will add some after checking my cabinet. Ciao!

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
Re:Sealed but with Scratches!@#@!*
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2002 at 12:28 AM »
Do thumbprints count?
When I got my LOTR DVD at *****, it was sealed. Security tapes and all. After opening it, I naturally checked the disc surfaces. Disc 1 was flawless -- disc 2 was also flawless, 'cept for one annoying detail. there was a thumbprint near the outer edge. I don't have a clue what to make of the damned thing. Anyway, it all plays fine and I haven't had much problems. Just that nagging detail.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2002 at 01:26 AM »
the same thing happened with my DUNE 3 disk special edition which i order from deepdiscountdvd. the first disk had a lot of scratches although it was not loose when i opened the seal. the other 2 was ok.

the first dvd i ever bought from our local favorite store which was bladerunner had a lot of scratches. it was working but i felt cheated since i bought it brandnew and sealed. i finally mustered my courage almost a year afterward and approached the branch of the store and to my surprise, they told me that they would replace it as soon as they had stock. this exchange took part after 2 months.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2002 at 01:34 AM by daigoro »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2002 at 11:09 AM »
It really pisses me off if you paid a lot for originals and what you get is a subpar copy and what's worse with scratches!  I was victimized by it twice.

Ace Ventura Pet Detective- had a large scratch in the middle.  It didn't affect the video viewing in anyway but looking at the underside just makes me ugh!  Is this replaceable even if it doesn't affect the videoviewing?  It is just aesthetically ugly!

Devil's Advocate-  It has DVD Rot and with scratches straight from the box.  This one I had replaced coz there was an evident problem with the disc.

Both are WAMO R3 discs.  I haven't experienced these with R1s though.

My friend suggested that if you are really definite in buying the disc especially the R3s, open the package in front of them while still in the store and see if the disc has scratches so doon palang eh ma-replace mo na ang discs if ever there is a problem.

Offline pioneer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2002 at 10:13 PM »
Mas malala sa akin. I bought it from a PinoyDVD seller named (do I still need to mention him? Hmmmmm).

Check this out --- Sealed with no scratches, BUT with pixelations in a certain chapter and it freezes.  >:(
Kentobiminekekwek !!!

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2002 at 11:23 PM »

My friend suggested that if you are really definite in buying the disc especially the R3s, open the package in front of them while still in the store and see if the disc has scratches so doon palang eh ma-replace mo na ang discs if ever there is a problem.

yeah. mas ok nga kung dun mo na buksan. sa O, you can even ask them to play the disc for you, para siguradong-sigurado ka talaga.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2002 at 05:55 AM »
In the US, I believed  the retailer would open the case [if not left open by the manufacturer] to put security tag inside then seal it back. So scratches might occur in handling those disc.
The only advantage in the US is you can ask for the replacement within 30 days for a defective or scratched disc.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2002 at 12:26 PM »
Mas malala sa akin. I bought it from a PinoyDVD seller named (do I still need to mention him? Hmmmmm).

Check this out --- Sealed with no scratches, BUT with pixelations in a certain chapter and it freezes.  >:(

Naku nangyari din sa akin yan. di man lang nagoffer na palitan o magbigay ng discount. sa dami ng binibenta nya di ko masasabing extra copies nya lang yun. di na ulit ako bumili dun sa taong yun..  :(

/24BH
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2002 at 12:27 PM by wcvmorasa »

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2002 at 03:35 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Ako...everytime I buy a DVD from Astro, I ask them to open it up so I can check it out before leaving the store...there were some instances that I had to request for another copy kasi nga may nakita akong scratches...wala naman daw problema sa kanila yun kasi they would just return it where they got it.

good luck

;D ;D ;D

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2002 at 11:59 PM »
i bought from dvdplanet once. the title was Phantom Menace. sealed but gasgas talaga, the movie wouldnt play. it was replaced by dvdplanet pero hassle, waited for almost a month.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 09:22 AM »
Yung true lies na binili ko..may circular scratches isa ibabaw nung disk..pero nag paplya naman nang ayos kaya di ko na binalik..
Walang Setup

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2002 at 02:27 AM »
In the US, I believed  the retailer would open the case [if not left open by the manufacturer] to put security tag inside then seal it back. So scratches might occur in handling those disc.
The only advantage in the US is you can ask for the replacement within 30 days for a defective or scratched disc.

actually the security tags can be attached during initial packaging. they give this option to the retailers if they want their dvd's to come with or without security tags.

bently
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2002 at 01:39 PM »
When the sale of Astrovision started, I bought several R3s from them and opened them one by one in the counter to see if there are any scratches.  The Astro people are amenable to that as long as you are sure of buying that particular title.  That just forfeits the excitement of opening your newly bought discs at home sabay amoy amoyin pa ang amoy bago... ;D

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2002 at 11:35 PM »
Opening my beauty and the beast platinum edition dvd which i bought from a member of the marketplace forum, i was expecting it to pristine as always, imagine my disappointment when the movie disc had scratches and the features disc had minor scratches. makes you want to open all of those discs you haven't opened yet.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2002 at 09:19 AM »
When i opened my Band of Bro. Boxset tanggal ang isang DVD >:( buti na lang walang scratch  ;D wheeewwwwwww
Walang Setup

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2002 at 06:09 AM »
why not list the names of sellers who sell sealed but scratched dvds to protect others?

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 11:37 AM »
how will we know kung may scratch yung dvd pag sealed pa
Walang Setup

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2002 at 05:37 PM »
When i opened my Band of Bro. Boxset tanggal ang isang DVD >:( buti na lang walang scratch  ;D wheeewwwwwww

ako rin bro, parang disk 4 yata... :(

Offline Steel

• Collector
  • for Truth and Justice...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 08:21 AM »
I also experienced the same thing with my Band of Brothers set.  Pero, buti na lang, wala ring scratches.

Maybe it's they way they handled the tin sets during shipping.  Baka na-kalog ng husto.  :(

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 08:41 AM »
kings,

yung akin disk 4 din yung tanggal ehehehe
Walang Setup

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 04:54 PM »
why not list the names of sellers who sell sealed but scratched dvds to protect others?

Huwag naman bro. The sellers are innocent victims also. Just think, kung ikaw ang tinamaan ng malas at nakapagbenta ng sealed DVD na may gasgas.... :)

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2002 at 05:16 PM »
I agree not the fault of the seller unless he/she re-seals the DVD that is already damage.One way to prove is look at the security sticker, wala pa yata na nakagawa ng pang re-seal niyan correctly.Dapat buksan na mga DVD when you buy them, especially if not bought from a store para ma reject na kung may damage.
I'm planning to get several titles from Canada for resale and ok naman sa akin yong buksan na to check for cracks or multiple scratches.Of course kung mga isa or dalawang hair-line scratches lang eh meron talagang ganoon minsan. ;D
Elf 8)
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2002 at 10:13 PM »
It's not the fault by the sellers but the manufacturer of the dvd themselves!  >:(
Not all U.S. made dvd's are free from defects! So, please don't praise all your Region 1 dvd's!  >:(

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 10:03 AM »
It's not the fault by the sellers but the manufacturer of the dvd themselves!  >:(
Not all U.S. made dvd's are free from defects! So, please don't praise all your Region 1 dvd's!  >:(

Actually in my opinion, it's because of the disc being loose in its case.The worse one I saw was a crack from the center hole going to the disc data.It was a loose disc of course.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 11:25 AM »

Actually in my opinion, it's because of the disc being loose in its case.The worse one I saw was a crack from the center hole going to the disc data.It was a loose disc of course.

Hi there, ELF!  :)
I have one dvd that I ordered, it was still intact inside the case but when I flip the disc, my excitement boggs down!  :(

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 12:21 PM »
sympathies to all us collectors who wait for that special DVD and find out that it is damaged!Man!!! ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2002 at 12:30 PM by Elf »

Offline sphanuel

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 01:12 PM »
I agree with Elf, it's not the seller's fault if disc has scratches, unless the scratches affect the playability of the disc.

just to share some experience here's my list:

1. Dead Ringers Criterion - Intact in the hub but when i flip it, had some minor scratches.
2. Snow white Platinum - scratches in disc one Intact in the hub
3. Kurosawa boxset - all 3 disc have scratches and it ain't minor(kala mo previous rental yung mga disc)  but i was lucky all three films has no problem playing - I think this is norm for this set.
4. Harry Potter SS - I was lucky with this one the seller replaced it (thanks to you sir)  ;D
5. B-O-B - all disc's are intact but disc one has 3 to 5 minor scratches- and im not yet finish viewing it
6. Rambo trilogy - Special feature disc has some minor scratches(slight pause on some part of it) and thanks again to the seller for the replacement disc  ;D
7. Insomnia Criterion
8. Die Hard trilogy UE - unlike blitz's, mine all disc one has scratches

I'll update my list aalalanin ko muna yung iba.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 04:20 PM »
Personally, with regards to minimizing this problem, try to buy the discs from the store rather than ordering it online.  You have the liberty to open the package before leaving the store to check for any defects or scratches so you can have a replacement at once.  As compared to ordering online, when you get to see the defects on the disc, it would be such a hassle to send the disc again to have it replaced. >:(

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2002 at 06:35 PM »
Hindi pala ako nag-iisa.  :)
It's just a big letdown that the disc is made in the USA  then, may defects pala, damn it!  >:(
I know that every one of us wants that we get the best quality to every dvd that we buy because let's face it it's killing our pocket and credit card sincerely. Now nagbabaon na lang ako ng lunch sa office so that I can save and buy another dvd.  ;)
But let's not forget the sellers who are willingly able to replace those damaged dvd's.  :D

May your tribe increase BENNY!
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2002 at 10:10 PM by keating »

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 02:20 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Experienced this recently with the P350 Warner sale.  when I opened the Executive Decision dvd (double-side DVD).    okey naman sa harap.  but when I checked the other side, meron syand scratches. buti na lang at hindi pa kami nakakaalis sa mall, so I had it replaced.   ;)