Author Topic: Important things to look for when buying LCD TV  (Read 1017 times)

Offline JedTanner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • "Live long and prosper"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Important things to look for when buying LCD TV
« on: Jul 29, 2006 at 05:40 PM »
Hi Guys,

Before buying my LCD, I had a hard time deciding which brand and what to look for. If I did not ask anyone for suggestions and rely solely on the salesman's opinion, chances are you might end up with something you might later regret.  Although in fairness, there are also sales people who make real recommendations and not just "to sell" a product. So be prepared before buying.

Anyway, even with access to the internet, I just don't know where to start and what specs to look for. I asked my officemate who by the way is a gadget and electronic freak..really!! He mentioned 3 things.

These were:

1. Brightness  - The higher the better. Normally, most LCD TV has 500cd/m2 
2. Contrast Ratio  - The same with brightness, the higher the better. Entry level for LCD is usually 800:1. The one I have is 5000:1 (D/CR) .
3. HDTV Ready - At least 720p or higher. Mine's up to 1080i.

I'm sure there are other important things that you need to know before buying one. Planning and research is really the key in getting your money's worth.

Everyone's welcome to make comments, suggestions or feedbacks. Maybe you can provide more information based from your experiences.