Author Topic: Death of a TV Show...  (Read 3371 times)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Death of a TV Show...
« on: Nov 06, 2003 at 07:59 AM »
Boomtown - It is officially cancelled. Too bad all the good drama shows don't seem to last. Another casualty is Jerry Bruckheimer's Skin.

TV shows these days have a shorter lifespan. In recent cases, 5 or 7 season and the show ends and are replaced right away.

Some casualties:

1. Coupling USA
2. Boomtown - as posted by K in another thread
3. SKin - as posted by K in another thread
4. My Big Fat Greek Life - only 6 episodes?
5. Action - on HBO - only 1 season? Why was this cancelled?...Teka, cancelled nga ba or moved to another network?
6.  Sports Night - may World Trade Center pa nun when it was cancelled
7. Ally McBeal - about time na rin naman

Any more shows?
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2003 at 03:46 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline T-850

• DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
Re:Death of a TV Show...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 08:42 AM »
Buffy
Dark Angel

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 11:33 AM »
I think you have to qualify what you mean, or else people can write down virtually every single TV show that ever existed on this thread. All shows have a lifespan, but some shows are cancelled, like Boomtown, Skin and Coupling, while others (intentionally or are forced to) end their run[/i], like Seinfeld, Friends, Ally McBeal, and the numerous Star Trek series after TOS. At least with the latter, you get some closure, since the writers usually tie up loose ends.

5. Action - on HBO - only 1 season? Why was this cancelled?...Teka, cancelled nga ba or moved to another network?

I believe Action aired on Fox in the States, but was cancelled midway through its first season due to poor ratings. The unseen episodes were aired in the States several months later on FX. All filmed episodes aired sequentially in Asia on HBO Asia, though.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2003 at 11:42 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 12:42 PM »
Action was good. Too bad it got canceled. One of the very few TV shows I enjoyed (don't much like TV shows). Boomtown, tho, sort of deserved it, it was pretty dull. I'm curious about Skin, maybe they could release a DVD of the episodes like they did with the reportedly good and short lived Firefly.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 01:27 PM »
yup.... one nice thing about "action" was the numerous cameos done throughout it's short run!  ;) (and yes! we were lucky enough to see all episodes in sequence! i think they even mentioned it on a website.)

4-5 seasons ain't too bad... matagal na rin yun ah.  ::)

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 03:22 PM »
Parang walang katapusn yung The Simpsons.

Cancelled na pala yung My Big Fat Greek Life and I thought they were just starting to air it.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2003 at 03:23 PM by av_phile »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 03:34 PM »
I think you have to qualify what you mean, or else people can write down virtually every single TV show that ever existed on this thread. All shows have a lifespan, but some shows are cancelled, like Boomtown, Skin and Coupling, while others (intentionally or are forced to) end their run[/i], like Seinfeld, Friends, Ally McBeal, and the numerous Star Trek series after TOS. At least with the latter, you get some closure, since the writers usually tie up loose ends.I believe Action aired on Fox in the States, but was cancelled midway through its first season due to poor ratings. The unseen episodes were aired in the States several months later on FX. All filmed episodes aired sequentially in Asia on HBO Asia, though.

Shows which suffered unexpected death. Yeah, should get Friends off the list because that was already planned.  Was Ally's ending unexpected/biglaan?

Yup Greek Fat was cancelled after 6 (?) episodes. Didn't rate well unlike the movie. The DVD is going to be released though, next year.  All 6 (?) episodes.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2003 at 03:38 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 03:55 PM »
Was Ally's ending unexpected/biglaan?

Somewhat. When it became clear to David Kelley that Ally McBeal was unlikely to be picked up for renewal (due to poor ratings and suddenly being temporarily pulled off the air), he abruptly announced he was ending the show, to save himself the embarassment of having his "baby" cancelled with hanging plotlines. Which explains why they were in the middle of introducing new characters like Bobby Cannavale and Christina Ricci when suddenly, Ally moved to New York.

I'm curious about Skin, maybe they could release a DVD of the episodes like they did with the reportedly good and short lived Firefly.

The problem with that is that Skin's initial order was for 13 episodes, but they had only shot 8 when production was shut down. So there will be many unresolved plot lines, which might be too annoying for people who buy the DVD.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2003 at 03:57 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 04:15 PM »
Ally McBeal toes the line between being cancelled and being ended, albeit abruptly.

The show's ratings drastically dropped forcing David Kelly to end the storyline and, of course, the show.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 04:17 PM »
I guess Chris Carter's superb Millennium qualifies.

Offline paeng

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 04:49 PM »
My guess is that television shows follow what John Boorman says about the film industry: it's more a business of manufacturing gimmicks that will attract audiences in return for maximized profits. When a show can no longer "deliver," it's replaced by fresh meat.

Of course, producers hope that such shows can be re-released or reformatted. That way, they make money from old stock.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 06:17 PM »
I guess Chris Carter's superb Millennium qualifies.

Is this the one like Profiler? The guy who's psychic? RPN 9?  What killed the show? Poor ratings?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 06:28 PM »
The problem with that is that Skin's initial order was for 13 episodes, but they had only shot 8 when production was shut down. So there will be many unresolved plot lines, which might be too annoying for people who buy the DVD.

That's too bad. I actually just read an article on this very very recently and the thing looked quite intelligent and interesting.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 06:30 PM »
I was saddened to find out Whose Line Is It Anyway? didn't make the cut for renewal  :'( Hope it makes it to DVD (especially the original British series). This is one very rewatchable show.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2003 at 06:31 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 06:34 PM »
Is this the one like Profiler? The guy who's psychic? RPN 9?  What killed the show? Poor ratings?

Millennium had a full run, I believe. Chris Carter envisioned an end in sight and he shot the series until he sort of reached it. The very very last episode never got shot and became an X Files episode instead. In Europe and Japan, it's this huge cult thing. It's only in America where people were. . .not necessarily indifferent but lukewarm. Maybe poor ratings truncated Carter's vision but if a DVD box set ever comes out, I don't think mabibitin yung bibili. (Myself,included)  Maybe Lance Hendriksen didn't profile high in the American viewing public's celebrity comfort zone meters like David Duchovny did, even if Hendriksen was the infintely better actor, mas may mielage yung gwapo syempre.  ;D  Or maybe the storylines were too dark . And  they were pretty dark and pretty scary, too.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 06:36 PM »

Yep, it was like Profiler. Poor ratings killed it.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 06:41 PM »
Millennium had a full run, I believe. Chris Carter envisioned an end in sight and he shot the series until he sort of reached it. The very very last episode never got shot and became an X Files episode instead. In Europe and Japan, it's this huge cult thing. It's only in America where people were. . .not necessarily indifferent but lukewarm. Maybe poor ratings truncated Carter's vision but if a DVD box set ever comes out, I don't think mabibitin yung bibili. (Myself,included)  Maybe Lance Hendriksen didn't profile high in the American viewing public's celebrity comfort zone meters like David Duchovny did, even if Hendriksen was the infintely better actor, mas may mielage yung gwapo syempre.  ;D  Or maybe the storylines were too dark . And  they were pretty dark and pretty scary, too.

From what I've read the X-files episode was Chris Carter's way of finally ending the Millennium storyline. But from the fanboy sites I've visited, the various plots were not brought to their conclusion -- this includes the timeline to which Millennium was supposed to follow to its eventual series end.  

This actually led to the decision of a group of Millennium diehards to release weekly "episodes" of Millennium which they hoped would sufficiently and satisfactorily end the series. They come out with actual scripts for their dream "episodes". Chris Carter and Lance Henriksen are said to be big fans of this group.  :)

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 09:41 PM »
One of my all-time favorite shows, NewsRadio, was forever on the verge of cancellation, it was short of a miracle that it lasted five years. Its luck ran out only after Phil Hartman was murdered, and NBC finally had a good excuse to cancel the series. Even then, they let it run for one more year after Hartman's death.

Futurama is being ended against Matt Groening's wishes.

According to Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker, they knew that Police Squad was going to be cancelled even before it aired, after they and the network had a big fight as to whether or not to put in a laugh track. Sure enough, lasted only six episodes, but long enough to earn a cult following that led to the Naked Gun films.

Star Trek of course survived for one extra season after its fans mounted a massive campaign to save the show after it was announced for cancellation.

In 1971, CBS decided that it wanted to develop a younger and urban fanbase, and decided to cancel a bunch of shows that were rating highly, but appealed to rural and elderly viewers. Most famous of the casualties was Beverly Hillbillies, others included The Andy Griffith Show and Petticoat Junction. In relation to this, The Simpsons will survive for as long as it remains the number one show for the 13-25 age group.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 10:23 PM »
That's too bad. I actually just read an article on this very very recently and the thing looked quite intelligent and interesting.

Unfortunately, we will never see how great it could become.  :'( :'( :'(

I just have to console myself that I got to see all three aired episodes.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2003 at 10:23 PM by kakabanas »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2003 at 11:54 PM »
I actually just read an article on (SKIN) very very recently and the thing looked quite intelligent and interesting.

I'm guessing it was the Time magazine review from two weeks ago?

I enjoyed the three episodes, too. Too bad that Fox didn't give the show a fair chance to find its target audience. Three episodes just aren't enough.

It seems that this is not the time for "contemporary adult dramas" on television. For a new non-crime hour-long program to survive these days, it apparently either has to be youth-oriented (The OC, One Tree Hill) or contain aspects of black humor (Dead Like Me, Nip/Tuck).
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2003 at 12:02 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2003 at 03:06 AM »
"Wild Wild West" was cancelled despite its popularity because there was a supposed outcry about too much violence on TV.

9 episodes of "Profit" were shot, only 4 of which were ever shown in the States (but all 9 were shown over here on RPN 9, it's my personal holy grail to find copies of these episodes, some guy in Israel supposedly taped all of them). Despite huge critical acclaim it was cancelled because it rather disturbed Fox to continue to produce a bizzare show depicting "twisted, amoral characters with no redeeming value whatsoever". Obviously, this was a few years before Reality TV hit it big.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2003 at 03:09 AM by Jude »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2003 at 05:19 AM »
Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire - if TV was mommy giving birth to baby, this child would be stillborn.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2003 at 05:52 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2003 at 09:10 AM »
I'm guessing it was the Time magazine review from two weeks ago?

Yeah,that was it, but from the onset, the premise did have immense possibilities.

And I agree on the state of "contemporary adult dramas". I once read (and agreed with) in article in Esquire about how television is better than Hollywood movies because television is writer-driven while movies are producer-driven.  It's too bad that it's starting to limit itself. Hopefully  it's all wrong time-wrong place and some of these more ambitious shows get a fairer shake soon.

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2003 at 10:16 AM »
Speaking of ending TV shows, I am deeply saddened that The Probe Team will finally be closing after 16 years. GMA just made its worst move in years by cancelling The Probe Team. How dare the GMA management pull its plug on this outstanding program because according to the GMA president Probe failed to make the cut in the high standards of journalism and by a stroke of irony GMA will be showcasing Probe Team when it makes its international launch.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 09:02 AM »
Speaking of ending TV shows, I am deeply saddened that The Probe Team will finally be closing after 16 years. GMA just made its worst move in years by cancelling The Probe Team. How dare the GMA management pull its plug on this outstanding program because according to the GMA president Probe failed to make the cut in the high standards of journalism and by a stroke of irony GMA will be showcasing Probe Team when it makes its international launch.

Saw their farewell episode the other night, it's the first of two episodes. <sigh> This is one very good show that deserves another chance.

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 06:03 PM »
Saw their farewell episode the other night, it's the first of two episodes. <sigh> This is one very good show that deserves another chance.

I won't be surprised if we see them in Channel 5 soon. ABS is out of the question since they are not anymore open to major co-productions/blocktimers.

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 11:31 PM »
I might go to their wrap party tomorrow night. Will anybody else from the board be there? I'll try to gather as much chisbuzz as I can regarding the show's future.

It's doubly unfortunate though that a lot of people who they invited and who also want to go can't because they're all at the Ad Congress in Baguio.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Re: Death of a TV Show...
« Reply #27 on: Jun 03, 2006 at 09:04 PM »
Cancelled series that I discovered on DVD:

Everwood - They cancelled this show for 7th Heaven and One Tree Hill>:(

My So-Called Life - It went against Friends and was in the way of Claire Danes' blossoming movie career.  :( Thanks for the heads up on this show, Spiff!  :)

Sports Night -  Great cast but Sorkin was more preoccupied with The West Wing. There was one episode that the cast went back to the office late at night and danced to a particular track that seemed to have been also used during Felicity Huffman's bar scene with Joely Fisher in a Desperate Housewives episode last season.

Firefly - It was prompted after seeing Mal in Slither.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2006 at 09:05 PM by Reuven Malter »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 01:24 PM »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2006 at 10:29 PM »
Dating Shows Get Dumped

Elimidate and Blind Date were not renewed...