Author Topic: Favorite TV Series that should be on DVD  (Read 40406 times)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Favorite TV Series that should be on DVD
« on: Apr 15, 2001 at 02:17 AM »
Now that they've started releasing favorites like The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, and Knight Rider - and 60s cult hits like Thunderbirds and The Prisoner are proven bestsellers in Amazon UK and Blackstar - what shows should they release next on DVD?

Let me start this off with the following:
  • Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
  • Battlestar Galactica (before they hit Earth)
  • St. Elsewhere
  • China Beach
  • Seinfeld
  • North and South
  • The Practice
  • Amazing Stories!
[/b]
Also does anyone remember the Super Six animated series? Man, I'd love to see that in a premium boxed set.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Favorite TV Series that should be Released on
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 02:21 AM »
I agree with China Beach, Seinfeld and Amazing Stories. The latter reminding me about how much I loved The Twilight Zone & Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Some episodes are included in the Alfred Hitchcock boxed set, but not the complete series).

I'd also like to hear about the whole Friends & ER series being released on DVD.

More titles off the top of my head would be:

• Parker Lewis Can't Lose (It was a crime that this show didn't last as long as it should.)
  • In Living Colour
  • ALF
  • Tour Of Duty

Offline bluedingo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Favorite TV Series that should be on DVD
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 07:31 AM »
I like Tour of Duty! Perhaps Falcon Crest? That was really popular in the eighties. I'd also like to see Robin Williams and Pam Dawber in Mork and Mindy.

Offline green_archer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 08:39 AM »
I think Friends is already being released in region 3. Actually I already saw season 1 being sold at some outlets like Astrovision and Tower records. They go for 2400.00 for 3 discs (the whole season, packaged in a box). I would like to see Mad About You in dvd. And yes it will be a sin not to have Seinfeld in dvd. And also Buffy the vampire slayer. Charmed too!
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 09:03 AM »
The West Wing

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 02:17 PM »

I think Friends is already being released in region 3. Actually I already saw season 1 being sold at some outlets like Astrovision and Tower records. They go for 2400.00 for 3 discs (the whole season, packaged in a box). I would like to see Mad About You in dvd. And yes it will be a sin not to have Seinfeld in dvd. And also Buffy the vampire slayer. Charmed too!

Hey Archer, can confirm the Friends series on DVD. Saw it in Astrovision, too. MY sister's a big fan, and has a complete collection (Region 2, tho, she lives in Holland).

According to her, they're actually making a director's cut version for the next seasons (season 7 onwards) I have no idea what the heck that means inside, but in terms of discs, that doubles the number of DVDs, and probably the price!

Oh, yeah! Here are the series I'd love to see on DVD:

Action
Mighty Orbots
Transformers
GI Joe
The Real Ghostbusters
Whose Line is it Anyway

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 02:22 PM »
It's funny tho how certain regions, excluding Region 1 - the big kahuna of all DVD regions - have certain TV series on DVD like Friends. I wonder why... Do fans in the U.S. tape the series? Or are the producers just capitalizing on certain regions not having the show on TV? Dunno

Oh, yeah! I got another great series to put on DVD: Survivor (uno y dos) They only have highlights so far, yuk.

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 05:13 PM »
I don't know about what TV series SHOULD be on DVD. What do I know? This is is a list of TV series that I would personally like to be on DVD. I already mentioned limited series like Shogun and Highlander TV Series so I would also like to add:

Sapphire and Steel
Three's Company
V
Roots
Centennial
Man from Atlantis
Batman (with Adam West)
A-Team
Mission Impossible (with Martin Landau)
Equalizer
Mr. Belvedere (yes really!)
Voltes V and Daimos
I Love Lucy (meron na ba?)

For the meantime, masaya na rin ako sa aking Lonesome Dove  ;D

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 05:32 PM »
green_archer, I wouldn't recommend buying the Friends Season 1 boxed set from Tower Records since they charge P2,400 for the whole package. I saw the same set over at Electronics Depot and Astrovision; they charge only P650 per disc, which would amount to only P1950.

MultipleAngles What do you mean your sister has the complete collection? They've already released Season 5 onwards over there in Holland?

Komikero Ditto on V! Thumbs up!

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2001 at 11:01 PM »
Most Important of All:

The Simpsons

Others:

MacGyver
The Wonder Years
Quantum Leap
The Real Ghostbusters

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 03:17 AM »
Definitely The Simpsons - flyderman, I have a lot of episodes on VHS, though, taped when I was in the US. But not enough, and having them on DVD would rock.

Hill Street Blues
Sapphire and Steel - komikero, you rule for recalling that show!
Action
The Twilight Zone (the 1980s updated versions, not the 1960s Rod Serling originals which are already available.
Moonlighting
Connections - I wonder if anyone else remembers this extremely well-written "alternative view of change" by James Burke. PTV-4 used to air it in the 80's. Later on, updated versions played on The Discovery Channel, but nothing equalled the first run. I even have Burke's book. This science show puts the late Carl Sagan's Cosmos to shame.
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 04:35 AM »

I don't know about what TV series SHOULD be on DVD. What do I know? This is is a list of TV series that I would personally like to be on DVD. I already mentioned limited series like Shogun and Highlander TV Series so I would also like to add:

Sapphire and Steel
Three's Company
V
Roots
Centennial
Man from Atlantis
Batman (with Adam West)
A-Team
Mission Impossible (with Martin Landau)
Equalizer
Mr. Belvedere (yes really!)
Voltes V and Daimos
I Love Lucy (meron na ba?)

For the meantime, masaya na rin ako sa aking Lonesome Dove  ;D

Hi! This is my first time to join any discussion forum so please bear with me.

From the above list by Komikero, dag-dag ko na rin Space 1999 and UFO. These are the shows that I used to watch while surviving MIT (Mapua Tech). I'm thinking if I will spend hard earned money on the Thunderbirds DVD.

Also will be happy if UK will release on DVD (kahit tape) the numerous episodes that used to air in Channel 9's SST (Sunday Suspense Theater) after Nora's Superstar. I wish to recapture the feeling then of being surprised at the tail-end of the story.

I hope also to see the two seasons of V on DVD. I only have the tapes for the first season (?) when they defeated the aliens with a virus spread by balloons.

Next time, I'll be more comfortable using smileys. ;)

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 04:45 AM »

MultipleAngles What do you mean your sister has the complete collection? They've already released Season 5 onwards over there in Holland?

Ey Phoebus ! Yupyup, she's got all 6 seasons right now. I'm looking at em right now (am on Vacation here). They're sets of 3 DVDs too, but like I said, the producers are gonna double or triple the number because they'll add "directors cuts".

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 04:47 AM »
Thanks Gonz!  Sapphire and Steel truly rocked, in my opinion. Very creepy, strange, mysterious, very Xfiles even before there was an Xfiles. I remember staying up very late at night back in the early 80's just to watch this on tv.

Welcome, Viper!

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 05:30 AM »
Hello there viper! Welcome to PinoyDVD, glad you could join us. At least you remember the episode of V when they defeated the aliens. All I can remember are the rats! :P

MultipleAngles, Really? Any news if the series will reach PI anytime soon? All we have right now is Season 1.

flyderman Good call on MacGyver! Almost forgot that one.

Add to the list all the episodes of The Three Stooges (Amazon only carries a few random episodes.) Curly Is The Man!

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 07:09 AM »
I would love to see the following again :

Anna Liza
Flor de Luna
Yagit
Champoy
Chicks To Chicks
The Best of Lovingly Yours Helen
The Best of Kahapon Lamang

I know they are campy but they are still a lot better than what's on Pinoy TV right now.

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 09:02 AM »
Something I enjoyed as a kid was Three's Company, so if the dvd comes out maybe I'll buy it.  I'm not sure if I'll still enjoy it as much.  I wish there will be a Golden Girls box set - that I'l buy! and my favorite ------>

Millenium
Millenium
Millenium ! (I like this more than the x-files! creepier!)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2001 at 09:11 AM »
What about the original John and Marsha with the young Maricel Soriano ??? That would be cool...

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 01:55 AM »
kakabanas I can still remember the theme song to John en Marsha!

If they ever release the Dilbert cartoon series on DVD, it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 08:01 AM »
Phoebus, Dilbert animation series was fun.Though it didn't last long, some video rentals here carry the episodes that were shown and new ones that never aired. I doubt if they will be availabe in DVD due to limited market.  :'(

I want the John and Marsha episodes, pre-80s ... with young Maricel Soriano sporting pony tails that were braided. And Rolly Quizon isn't married yet to that boring actress. Ahhh, I can still picture Dely Atay-atayan and Matutina together ... do you think they were version of so gay master-servant relationship of Mr. Burns and Smithers of The Simpsons ?  ;)

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 08:19 AM »

I want the John and Marsha episodes, pre-80s ... with young Maricel Soriano sporting pony tails that were braided. And Rolly Quizon isn't married yet to that boring actress. Ahhh, I can still picture Dely Atay-atayan and Matutina together ... do you think they were version of so gay master-servant relationship of Mr. Burns and Smithers of The Simpsons ?  ;)

Kakabanas, I hope RPN Channel 9 had the sense of maintaining their archives of Martial Law era series like John and Marsha with the hope of making them available again to viewers like us and let our children see the difference between the shows now and the shows then.

A little trivia: Did you know that the episode-ending sermon of Dona Delilah: "Kaya ikaw John, magsumikap kaaaaa" is a requirement by the government censors then to put positive values in the show? ::)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 08:26 AM »

Kakabanas, I hope RPN Channel 9 had the sense of maintaining their archives of Martial Law era series like John and Marsha with the hope of making them available again to viewers like us and let our children see the difference between the shows now and the shows then.

A little trivia: Did you know that the episode-ending sermon of Dona Delilah: "Kaya ikaw John, magsumikap kaaaaa" is a requirement by the government censors then to put positive values in the show? ::)

I didn't know that. Thanks Viper.  :D

I remember two years ago when I went home, I think Channel 5 was showing old episodes of Champoy. I had trouble sleeping one night and decided to see what's on late night TV. Needless to say, I almost cried that night reminiscing the good old days. Wait, I think I have tear drop coming right now.  :-[

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 05:32 PM »
I remember two years ago when I went home, I think Channel 5 was showing old episodes of Champoy.
Subas Herrero is my father-in-law, so naturally I am happy to hear Champoy remembered so fondly. My Dad has many episode masters (though not all of them unfortunately) on U-Matic tape, and it has long been my dream to do something with them. First, a couple of years ago, I wanted to put up a Champoy web site, but we never got moving on that. Currently I would like to burn the tapes to DVD. Maybe when I finally get my G4 with the SuperDrive...

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 06:46 PM »
kakabanas Dilbert's already cancelled? Kakabanas naman!  :D

gonz I loved Champoy! If ever you do get around to transfering the episodes to DVD, be sure to inform us here.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 11:03 PM »
gonz I loved Champoy! If ever you do get around to transfering the episodes to DVD, be sure to inform us here.
Will do Phoebus, but since RPN-9 still holds the copyright to the show and apparently sometimes still tries to exploit the show through reruns (all without paying royalties to ---or even asking permission of --the show's creators and talents, principally my Dad and Tito Noel Trinidad), any DVD copies I make will be strictly "for personal use only, reproduction prohibited." If you get my drift. ;)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2001 at 11:11 PM »
I understand gonz. Sayang!

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2001 at 05:17 AM »
Yup gonz, sayang. I was a big Champoy fan myself. Gary Lising was a major influence and shaped my sense of humor to my wife's everlasting regret! :)

Hopefully the local stations will wake up one day and realize that they stand to gain more by looking at cable syndication and home video formats like DVD. Plus, and more importantly, they can promise the creators decent royalty streams from these alternative distribution schemes.

Hmmm...

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2001 at 06:29 AM »
Yup gonz, sayang. I was a big Champoy fan myself. Gary Lising was a major influence and shaped my sense of humor to my wife's everlasting regret! :)
Yup, he's funny the first time you hear his jokes. Even the second or third. But after hearing Tito Gary's jokes 50+ times...well...no comment. ;)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2001 at 03:21 PM »
Hey Komikero, looks like the A-Team has been released in Region 2 as well. Three episodes in this edition:

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000062033

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 18, 2001 at 04:51 PM »

If I remember it right, Cherrie Gil, Tessie Tomas, Ronnie Lazaro were all in Champoy at one time or another.

It was one of the funniest show with short skits that are not actually funny and smart.

Champoy, champoy, ibang-iba ang champoy ... ;D