Author Topic: When are you going HD?  (Read 16649 times)

Offline Ice Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: When are you going HD?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 12:14 AM »
In my head I'd probably go scouting for a HDTV after the NTC makes its mind up on what format local cable or satellite will follow. I'd feel silly buying a set that wont work locally. A TV's a 8 year investment for your average joe.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 12:17 AM by Ice Storm »

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 11:59 AM »
In my head I'd probably go scouting for a HDTV after the NTC makes its mind up on what format local cable or satellite will follow. I'd feel silly buying a set that wont work locally. A TV's a 8 year investment for your average joe.

The tuner section will be the critical factor. You can wait for the 1080p sets to go down. I believe that this will be the de facto standard in 2 years time because going 4k will mean getting a very huge display just to see the difference.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 12:04 PM »
Just 1 piece of equipment to go and I will be in 1080p heaven(panasonic pt ae1000 projector). I have both hd dvd and blu-ray player at hand. As of last count, I have 22 hd dvd disc and 7 blu ray disc, Yippy ;D
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 12:37 PM »
Just 1 piece of equipment to go and I will be in 1080p heaven(panasonic pt ae1000 projector). I have both hd dvd and blu-ray player at hand. As of last count, I have 22 hd dvd disc and 7 blu ray disc, Yippy ;D
there's HT nirvana....and ur taking it another level...HD nirvana  :o :o  wow!!  ;D ;D congrats

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 01:11 PM »
Just waiting prices of HD projectors at least those 720p to go down the 70k level. It seems i still have 1 more year to go.  ;) tiis tiis lang muna ..
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 05:40 PM »
The tuner section will be the critical factor. You can wait for the 1080p sets to go down. I believe that this will be the de facto standard in 2 years time because going 4k will mean getting a very huge display just to see the difference.

The NTC has already decided to adopt the European DVB-T system for digital TV in the Philippines.  This means that you will need either a set-top box or a TV with a built in DVB-T tuner.  Needless to say, digital TV's from the US will be incompatible as they use the competing ATSC standard.

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #36 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 11:20 PM »
ako HD-gaming pa lang thru AE900 + xbox 360. :(

about HD-movies, i'm still waiting for the x360 HD player to arrive.

about HD-audio???  a eto ang medyo malabo. . .wala pa yata available amp/receiver in the market that can decode dts-HD & Dolby TrueHD.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2006 at 11:23 PM by dts_es »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 07:58 AM »
The NTC has already decided to adopt the European DVB-T system for digital TV in the Philippines.  This means that you will need either a set-top box or a TV with a built in DVB-T tuner.  Needless to say, digital TV's from the US will be incompatible as they use the competing ATSC standard.

But when will digital broadcast actually start in the Philippines?  5 years, 10 years, 15 years?   Japan will end all analog broadcasts by 2011 but they have actually started digital broadcast for like 3 years now.   It's a very very expensive shift in terms of equipment and infrastructure for broadcasters and networks, thus should be done gradually.   I'd say digital tuner/TV system should be the least of concerns right now as regards HDTV use in the Philippines.    I think by the time the Philippines actually begins digital TV, present-day HDTVs would be very much outdated anyways.    Certainly, compatible digital tuner boxes would be made available by then.  HDTVs are very much usable right now.  Problem is the price and the lack of real HD contents to justify the price and maximize the capability of the HDTV  (for the mainstream households).  I've been into HD in Tokyo for about 3 years now and the latest addition is the HD-DVD add-on drive for the X360.  When will I go HD in Philippines?  I don't know, but it will most likely be triggered by availability of affordable HD-DVD or BD players.  HDTV and analog contents quite simply don't match in my opinion.  It absolutely s*cks to watch ABS-CBN (TFC) through HDTV.

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2006 at 08:05 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2006 at 07:19 PM »
ABS-CBN is already conducting digital DVB-T (albeit in SD only for now) test broadcasts on channel 51 (UHF) in Metro Manila.  I'm not sure how it looks though but if I can get my hands on a USB DVB-T tuner for PC's, I'll be sure to let you guys know ;)

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 09:59 AM »
IF I had tons of extra cash lying around (which unfortunately I do not  :( ) I would have probably jumped into the HD (players) bandwagon the moment the rave reviews of the Toshiba HD-A1 came out.  But what about Blu-Ray?  I would buy one too as soon as an excellent player comes out.  Anyway, I have tons of extra cash lying around, remember (just as a premise, not as a fact)?

Now back to reality.  Since money doesn't grow on my trees, I cannot gamble on a particuar technology which might eventually lose the format war in the end, and consequently compel me to invest again on the winning technology.

The last time I checked, Ricoh has developed a lens that should be able to read both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs while NEC has already developed a chip that should be able to allow a single player to support both formats.  Of course the next hurdle would be the politics between the 2 rival camps and those companies who pledged their support for one technology or the other.  Let's just hope that they would be able to overcome all that for the "real" benefit of the consumers like us.

When would that be?  With how fast technology is evolving nowadays, I'm hoping that would be mid to late next year.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 10:21 AM »
I still dont have a HDTV, and hopefully my tosh CRT RPTV will last until the introduction of HD broadcast in our country....cguro nman medyo affordable na mga 1080P LCD tvs nun..... :) 

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 10:52 AM »
I still dont have a HDTV, and hopefully my tosh CRT RPTV will last until the introduction of HD broadcast in our country....cguro nman medyo affordable na mga 1080P LCD tvs nun..... :) 

Munskie, baka meron ka ng 2160p by the time digital broadcast becomes mainstream sa Pinas.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
ganun din..hehehe...new technology, baka di pa rin ma afford at that time....hehehe   ;D ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 11:09 AM »
ganun din..hehehe...new technology, baka di pa rin ma afford at that time....hehehe   ;D ;D

Tumpak!!!!!

Sinong nagsasabing nagiging affordable ang LCD?  Last year yung pinikit kong 37V, almost 300K yen.  Ngayon yung gusto kong 46V na full HD panel with HDMI 1.3 and blah blah tweaks, more than 400K yen..he he he

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #44 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 11:19 AM »
Tumpak!!!!!

Sinong nagsasabing nagiging affordable ang LCD?  Last year yung pinikit kong 37V, almost 300K yen.  Ngayon yung gusto kong 46V na full HD panel with HDMI 1.3 and blah blah tweaks, more than 400K yen..he he he

Sige mag-upgrade lang kayo dyan sa japan sir para yung mga pinagsawaan nyo e makarating na dito . . . . sa pier. :D

Sigurado maraming mag-aabang nyan. . . .kasama na ako dun. :D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 11:50 AM »
One week ko palang nilalaro ang HD-DVD player and I only have 3 discs which I have seen for I think 3x each.  Duda na nga si Misis dahil bakit ko daw inuulit ulit panoorin si Keanu, Clooney at Tom  ;D.   Sabi ko ang tinititigan kong mabuti e si Sandra Bullock, si Amanda Peet, at si Tom (sige na nga)  ;D.    When I watch DVD, I would only concentrate on the story and the entertainment value.  With HD, nadagdagan ng dimension because I also became more observant of the actor's/actresses complexion (preckles, pimples and moon holes), the beauty of surroundings/backgrounds and the artistry of the camera angles and shots.  It so happened na one of my discs is a combo type so I made direct comparison with DVD again and again.  Kaya I really needed to watch the movie at least 2x.

Right now, I don't feel at all na I'm taking any gamble on a technology that may potentially lose the format war, if there really is going to be an all-out war.   I'm enjoying every bit of watching HD movie.  I have only seen a short sample of Blu-Ray movie played through PS3 and comparing that with HD-DVD, I definitely think that we are in for a very very long standoff.  If ever the HD-DVD loses and becomes obsolete, by that time, I would have squeezed every bit of home entertainment out of it already.   I guess the same would be true for current owners of BD players.  All I need right now are more and more HD titles.  My TVs, though not native 1080p are better than good at the moment.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
my thoughts exactly, sir clondalkin  ;D.....kahit na matalo ang hd dvd...im sure marami na titles mapapanood ko sa player na yun.  yung return sa investment ko is maxing out na sa enjoyment in watching HD.....one more thing....If I wait...some of the good movies out there in dvd....and those I like, I would have to buy them again in HD copy, once HD goes mainstream.  with the choice ive made, im minimizing double dips.....just my thoughts folks..... :)

With HD, nadagdagan ng dimension because I also became more observant of the actor's/actresses complexion (preckles, pimples and moon holes), the beauty of surroundings/backgrounds and the artistry of the camera angles and shots.  It so happened na one of my discs is a combo type so I made direct comparison with DVD again and again.  Kaya I really needed to watch the movie at least 2x.

totally agree with this....drawback nga nung umpisa eh.....ive spend more time focusing on the PQ rather than the movie itself.......kaya nawawala sa plot ng movie......but if theres a great drawback....this is it..hhehehe...you can watch it naman again.... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006 at 12:04 PM by Munskie »

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 12:56 PM »
I'm very happy that you're happy with your HD-DVD purchases mga sirs.   ;D ;D ;D  Heck, if the "hybrid" high-def player doesn't make any progress by mid of next year, I myself might even jump into the HD-DVD or BD technology (whichever proves to be better at that time).  :-\

I just hope none of us goes through the Betamax - VHS days again because this time around, the players (as well as the materials) are several times more expensive (and we have more than a couple of Betamax players that we eventually had to throw/give away because they were just gathering dust).    ;)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
I just hope none of us goes through the Betamax - VHS days again because this time around, the players (as well as the materials) are several times more expensive (and we have more than a couple of Betamax players that we eventually had to throw/give away because they were just gathering dust).    ;)
actually sir...in the case of the price of HD DVD, particularly the HD-A1 (msrp $499 but bought mine at $399)....its much cheaper than in the days when Betamax or VHS were first released...i just forgot the link but ive read when betamax was first released the prices were between $800-1500....ditto with DVD players when they were released....mas mahal nga lang if you dont have a HD-capable monitor yet......you have to upgrade that one too....but kung players lang pag uusapan..its much cheaper to adopt now.... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006 at 01:13 PM by Munskie »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 02:16 PM »
actually sir...in the case of the price of HD DVD, particularly the HD-A1 (msrp $499 but bought mine at $399)....its much cheaper than in the days when Betamax or VHS were first released...i just forgot the link but ive read when betamax was first released the prices were between $800-1500....ditto with DVD players when they were released....mas mahal nga lang if you dont have a HD-capable monitor yet......you have to upgrade that one too....but kung players lang pag uusapan..its much cheaper to adopt now.... ;D ;D

My 1997 magazine mentioned that DVD players are about to be released that time...at US$1,000

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 02:21 PM »
My 1997 magazine mentioned that DVD players are about to be released that time...at US$1,000
and you still have to factor in inflation rate pa....(tama ba?  inflation rate).....so thats more xpensive pa...

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 02:56 PM »
My first region free JVC DVD player costed me 69,800 yen which is higher than the present cost of a 60GB PS3.  It still works great but doesn't have component video out and doesn't play any of the DVD recordable formats.   Switching between NTSC and PAL is through slide switch at the back.   It's got karaoke function that we never used.  Big frame.

I don't know how much my mother shelled out for our first Sony Betamax in 1978 or 1979.  Noisy and highly mechanical top loading bay with control buttons wider than fingers (the type the you literally push down mechanically, then latches).  WIRED remote.   It was probably subsidized by her uber rich boss then.   It came with my late father's first VCX Presentation tape (priceless) and a horror movie taped from US TV called "Burnt Offerings" that scared me like hell.

It's really the HDTV and the HT that cost so much when going HD.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006 at 02:59 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #52 on: Dec 29, 2006 at 09:17 AM »

Congrat alvinthx2 for owing both paradises. Whoever wins at the end, you'll still be a winner  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 29, 2006 at 09:31 AM »
I own a 42" SONY 3LCD HDTV 720p & have been considering to get my hands wet on the HD world but need to consult with a few HD gurus first. With all the on-going hype & excitement...it's indeed very very tempting to get a HD player.  :)

Whoa finally the SONY's pupular 1080p Bravia LCD namely X-series already arrived & available in our local market but at a whoping P280,000 for an entry starter of 40"  :o While prices are dropping for the other models.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 29, 2006 at 10:04 AM »
Congrat alvinthx2 for owing both paradises. Whoever wins at the end, you'll still be a winner  ;D

forwat war solved for alvinthx2 and neilno..... ;D

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 29, 2006 at 10:18 AM »
Bravia x line=P280000 (just 40 inches) or

1 1080p projector(Mitsubishi or Panasonic
1 PS3
1 Toshiba HD A1
1 Draper screen material 106 inch

;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 29, 2006 at 10:29 AM »
Actually, that's the same response I read from conservative posters in some AV forums on a similar question.  And I share the same.  But if I can afford, I won't sit it out. 

Accrdg to HD gurus out there, there's no reason to sit it out and wait for the format war to settle.  If you look at it,  the launch Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player has a street price of around $490 - cheaper than most upsampling DVD players from Denon and other mid-priced DVD players.  Rather than get any of those expensive upsampling DVD players which are said to be garbage compred to HD, get the HD Tosh.

..... It's like having DVD-A for your audio tracks.  So if you already own a High def  LCD display which I believe you already have, what's $490 for a player and a dozen $24 titles to start with?   ;D  According to many early takers on the Tosh player and titles, it's the best d**n thing that ever happened to their HT experience since the introduction of DVD in 1997.  ;D

Well said mate..now my HD appetite is getting really wet!!  ;D

Bravia x line=P280000 (just 40 inches) or

1 1080p projector(Mitsubishi or Panasonic
1 PS3
1 Toshiba HD A1
1 Draper screen material 106 inch  ;D

Whoa...u mean we can get all those above items with a total cost of 280k? Cool ... provided we have the space to set up the 106" screen  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2006 at 10:30 AM by pchin »

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 08:36 AM »
Here's something to consider:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/1/5/22839/57074

An excerpt:

"The skills you used to rely on to get you around in the world: highly refined social climbing skills, office politicking skills, internet-browsing skills, report-writing skills, memorandum-drafting skills – these, you realize, are skills ill-suited to the Post Carbon Era. You would be better off now, perhaps, to have a different set of skills: negotiating skills, conflict resolution skills, bow-hunting skills, fire-making skills, or carpentry skills.

"Additionally, all the stuff you have accumulated, that once stood you in such good stead with your fellow man, and in fact may have helped you attract a mate – your 52" plasma TV, your deluxe nail-head block-framed leather sofa, your environmentally-friendly unbleached paper lamp shades – all that stuff, you realize, is worth roughly the equivalent of all those skills you have:

"Diddly Squat."

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 11:32 AM »
4K's for commercial digital theaters and I doubt it'll be a standard in middle-class Pinoy homes for the next quarter century.

In my mind I'm going LCD monitors such as a 27-inch Samsung SyncMaster 275T ($999) or 24-inch Samsung SyncMaster 245T ($799) both sporting 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio) and HDCP. They have 15 pin D-Sub (VGA) [Xbox 360], DVI-D [PC or Mac], S-Video [cable & satellite boxes], Component [PS3 or Wii] & Composite ports. Kulang na lang yung HDMI [PS3 or HD-DVD or BD] which the 24-inch BenQ FP241W LCDs have. Most of my entertainment comes from computers and video consoles so a LCD monitor is a more logical step than a 16:9 HD display.

I've been reading the CES reports and imo it isnt time for me to go replacing my CRT TVs with LCD or Plasmas unless power consumption becomes an issue or when terrestrial/satellite/cable TV goes HD. By the time local TV starts going HD we could expect 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios, 1080p and 100% NTSC color reproduction. LCoS/SED/LED/OLED may be the next best thing as well.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2007 at 01:49 PM by Ice Storm »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jan 18, 2007 at 02:41 PM »
Good for you, sir Ice Storm.  

"A fool and his money are soon parted", goes an old saying.  Wise words to remember in today's high tech world of marketing savvy.

By the time local TV starts going HD we could expect 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios, ...

Siguro nga, but that would only be the marketing claim, not the true contrast ratio. 

A new movie in a movie house should have a contrast ratio of about 500:1, yet ludicrous claims of LCD and plasma TVs having a contrast ratio of 7,000:1 to 10,000:1 are common. 

To make all of this a little more concrete, let's enumerate some specimen contrast ratios. If you're reading these words, the contrast ratio of the page before you is about 80:1. If you're looking at them on your monitor, the ratio is closer to 50:1. If you go to the movies and watch a good, clean print, the ratio (given the right scene) might be 500:1. http://www.da-lite.com/education/angles_of_view.php?action=details&issueid=56

The audio industry used to do this with their PMPO specs.  This time, it's the video industry that loves to throw those specs around. 

But I can't say I blame them.  It's good for business.  And when business is good, prices naturally gravitate to lower levels.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2007 at 03:34 PM by barrister »