Author Topic: The best LCD TV right now in the Philippines?..  (Read 15119 times)

Offline georgecebu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The best LCD TV right now in the Philippines?..
« Reply #30 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 01:07 AM »
i'm planning to buy sharp aquos lc-32bx6m what can you say about this model? thnx...

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 12:45 PM »
i'm planning to buy sharp aquos lc-32bx6m what can you say about this model? thnx...

I would have to assume that it is similar to the Japanese B series although I am hoping it is equivalent to the Japanese G series instead.

Picture quality wise, there should not be any major complaints because the B series already uses the latest black ASV type wide XGA panel with the latest standard specs such as 1200:1 contrast ratio, 450 cd/ms brightness, 6ms response time and wide viewing angle.   It is a 32-incher with approximately 1MP resolution which is standard for that size.  You'd have to go up to at least 37-inches if you're looking for full HD panels (2MP).  Unfortunately, the English sites usually don’t give any specific information on the backlighting technology which is one of the most important features of any LCD TV, so you’d just have to check with Sharp yourself.  The latest one is so called “4-spectrum backlighting” (blue, green, red PLUS crimson) that significantly improved the quality of reds which in previous models were rather dull.

If that model is indeed equivalent to the Japanese B series, then it’s sound system is rather weak relative to the quality of picture.  Sharp stripped down the sound system to offer an affordable range of LCDs but fortunately kept the quality of panel at par with its usual high standards.   B series lacks 1-bit digital amp, Audyssey EQ technology, and virtualizer (virtual surround technology), among others.  Moreover, B series has 1-way 4-speaker system compared to the higher grade G series which employs 2-way 6 speaker system.   Many Japanese owners complain that sound quality is rather “thin”.  Again the English sites don’t provide more details about the sound system of the model you’re particularly interested in so you’d better do your homework.  In any case, if you are going to connect the LCD to a decent home theater system, then that should solve the inherent sound system weakness of the B series.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 01:37 PM »

If that model is indeed equivalent to the Japanese B series, then it’s sound system is rather weak relative to the quality of picture.  Sharp stripped down the sound system to offer an affordable range of LCDs but fortunately kept the quality of panel at par with its usual high standards.   B series lacks 1-bit digital amp, Audyssey EQ technology, and virtualizer (virtual surround technology), among others.  Moreover, B series has 1-way 4-speaker system compared to the higher grade G series which employs 2-way 6 speaker system.   Many Japanese owners complain that sound quality is rather “thin”.  Again the English sites don’t provide more details about the sound system of the model you’re particularly interested in so you’d better do your homework.  In any case, if you are going to connect the LCD to a decent home theater system, then that should solve the inherent sound system weakness of the B series.

Sound amplfiers and speakers in LCDs are not really at par with any decent HT set-up. 
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 01:43 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 03:25 PM »
Sound amplfiers and speakers in LCDs are not really at par with any decent HT set-up. 

Sound is one of the last things I consider when I look for an LCD tv... :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:28 PM »
And if i were to get one, I really would prefer an LCD without any speaker or amps.  I heard there are models where those speakers are optional.  Less price, I suppose. 

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:58 PM »
Fair enough.  But the problem is, as in usual cases with Japanese makers, TVs with best image quality happen to have premium built-in sound system as well.  I bought my G series last year (GD6) for its superior picture quality (over Sony Bravia of course, and the reasonably priced Sharp A series which was the predecessor of the current B series), and it is also equipped with a sound system that is arguably even better than that of the 2006 G model because of its BBE Mach3Bass (bass boost) feature.  Although I had to pay some premium for it, I am most definitely satisfied with the sound quality.  Of course it does not compare with a HT, but that said, I honestly feel the sound quality is quite awesome for a stand-alone TV.  It’s got the oomph, sound is full, tight, powerful, and surround is quite effective.

Now, Sharp is offering even improved picture quality for 32 inchers but with the option to choose between one with rather vanilla sound system and another with better/premium sound configuration.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 06:13 PM »
Shouldn't they offer one WITHOUT a built-in sound system rather than a crappy one?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 08:46 PM »
Shouldn't they offer one WITHOUT a built-in sound system rather than a crappy one?

If they do, then customers would have to connect their TVs to some kind of an HT system.  That would definitely pose a big problem in Japan where folks are sooooo conscious of their neighbors' TV/AV volume.  In the Philippines, that would have been fine if everybody could afford an HT because the louder your AV equipment is especially during the day, the more pogi points you have. ;D

I think there are huge and high quality panels without built-in sound system but at the moment, perhaps they are custom built for museums, exhibition halls and airports; probably more expensive than the common people's LCDs and plasmas.

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 16, 2006 at 09:48 AM »
I've seen and almost all flat panels in the market today and no matter how I tried to appreciate the other models, nothing compares with Philips. Besides the fact that it shows great color and quality picture, it has a "Digital Natural Motion" that really turns me on  :o :o :o. Now that's what I call a KICK ASS FEATURE.  :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 16, 2006 at 07:51 PM »
If they do, then customers would have to connect their TVs to some kind of an HT system.  That would definitely pose a big problem in Japan where folks are sooooo conscious of their neighbors' TV/AV volume.  In the Philippines, that would have been fine if everybody could afford an HT because the louder your AV equipment is especially during the day, the more pogi points you have. ;D

I think there are huge and high quality panels without built-in sound system but at the moment, perhaps they are custom built for museums, exhibition halls and airports; probably more expensive than the common people's LCDs and plasmas.

There really should be models that allowed optional speakers and wall-mounts or stands.  And even external digital tuners.  Most of the people I know who had bought LCDs and Plasma here use them in their HT set-ups.  That really makes thse integrated amps and speakers in displays redundant and a waste.  But I can understand if those amps and speakers are thrown into the package to make them more universally attractive, even to non-HT equipped households.  Much like receivers.  Afterall, 10-15watt amps and speakers are so cheap, they could be thrown in literally as freebies into the display package.  Especially with the new Class T digital amps. 
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2006 at 08:25 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #40 on: Oct 16, 2006 at 09:06 PM »
I saw a Viewsonic 22" LCD for just php 27k. Is this a good buy?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 19, 2006 at 01:22 PM »
Seems reasonable enough.   Is that widescreen or regular?
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2006 at 01:23 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Gubs

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #42 on: Oct 20, 2006 at 08:32 PM »
Just wondering why they can sell widescreen pc monitors like the one I got samsung 940bw 19 incher with hdcp ,4 ms 1440 x 900 etc. for a low price of 12k plus zero interest at that. And lcds tvs with lower specs and not so big sizes like 27 inches and up cost much  much more than their screen size suggests.
Cant they just double the price for double the screen size like 25k for a 27 /28 lcd.

Correction since i got a 19 incher it should be roughly double that for a 38 incher which is impossible for now.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2006 at 11:41 PM by Gubs »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 21, 2006 at 10:50 PM »
There's a relatively bigger market for 15" LCDs for PC monitors than 21" and above LCDs.   The larger the market the more economies of scale producton translating to lower unit costs.  There are 15" LCDs now costing around 10T.   A 32" LCD can be had for 100T - that's just slightlly more than twice the diagonal viewing length, but 10x the price.   
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2006 at 10:59 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline jdg

• Collector
  • divx addict!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 22, 2006 at 06:55 AM »
mura na 19" widescreen lcd monitors ngayon 12k-14k na lang kaya bakit sobrang mahal parin ng 32" and 42" lcd tv's? ???

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 22, 2006 at 06:25 PM »
I think this has still a lot to do with market size.  There are already many offices and industries using 19" LCD monitors  But 32" and above displays seem still aimed at the home markets for HDTV.  Still small by comparison plus the fact the the LCD elements get more complex and thus are still expensive to make at those sizes.  Just speculating.   ;D

Offline Mrk

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 16, 2007 at 09:54 AM »
i just bought home a sony bravia 40s200a

after reading all your comments about sony

natatakot na tuloy ako tuwing bubuksan ko yung lcd tv na it gets me paranoid na baka masira sha sooner or later!! >:( >:( >:(
UA-55D6600
BD-P1500
RXV-459
Wharfedale 9.1, 9.3
WH-2 center/surround
DQ-12

Offline danger_ahead123

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2007 at 01:39 PM »
tama rin po na wag nila ganu ibagsak ang presyu ng 32"
kc kung ibaba nila yan
para narin palengke yan
kahit san bhay mayrun na
lahat kya na ma aford katulad ng 15" lcd
kawawa nman un mga taong nag spend ng 100k plus para sa 32"

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 09:59 AM »
tama rin po na wag nila ganu ibagsak ang presyu ng 32"
kc kung ibaba nila yan
para narin palengke yan
kahit san bhay mayrun na
lahat kya na ma aford katulad ng 15" lcd
kawawa nman un mga taong nag spend ng 100k plus para sa 32"

Sana tingin ko di tama yang pinagsasasabi mo. Siguro isa ka sa mga nakabili ng 32 inch LCD na lagpas 100K. Di ka masaya para sa kapwa mo na makabili ng mas mura sa bili mo. Ano naman ang masama kung lahat ng bahay e naka LCD?

Offline sirdaecon

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 05:18 AM »
^^Tama brad ;)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:07 AM »
I just saw at one of the computer shops as Park Square a Toshiba 32" LCD costing just slightly in excess of P50T.  Malapit na. I now have better hopes that by Christmas 2007, a 32" LCD would be numerically equivalent in price. ;D  I  just hope the peso will strengthen further, say to around 1:45. 

Offline Mrk

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:06 AM »
sorry for the newbie question but what does DLP tv mean?
UA-55D6600
BD-P1500
RXV-459
Wharfedale 9.1, 9.3
WH-2 center/surround
DQ-12

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:27 AM »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 08:09 PM »
I just saw at one of the computer shops as Park Square a Toshiba 32" LCD costing just slightly in excess of P50T.  Malapit na.

E di Sony Bravia na lang, P49k daw:

i heard just now sony 32 inch s200 model lcd going for under 50k. wow finally, manufacturers are passing on the savings to us consumers. this is going to make flat panels affordable to an even bigger market.

anyone in the market for flat panel should really look around before forking out their hard earned money :)

this is very true :)

my uncle just bought his bravia 32s200a

for only 49k a fair and square binondo :)

no freebies 1 year warranty ( CASH only )

mura padin dba? :)

good buy if it has original sony phils. warranty.
ave. price if grey market

yup it has orig sony warranty..

kaya sha mura because binawas lahat ng freebies plus may additional 15k discount for cash buyers
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 08:14 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:24 PM »

E di Sony Bravia na lang, P49k daw:

Wow, talagang malapit na.  ;D  Ano kaya model ng Bravia.  Must be the U, S or V series.  I've been reading some AV forums saying that the only Bravia worth getting is their X and W series.   ;D  Unfortunately, the X and W starts at 40"
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:26 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:34 PM »
Wow, talagang malapit na.  ;D  Ano kaya model ng Bravia.  Must be the U, S or V series.

Bravia 32S200A daw yun.  SRP P89,990 on the Sony Phil website.

BTW, I've seen the Toshiba LCD, and it's not good.  Mas maganda di hamak ang Bravia, Samsung and the new Aquos models.   
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 09:46 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 10:25 PM »
Bravia 32S200A daw yun.  SRP P89,990 on the Sony Phil website.

This is the funny thing. In the SONY web site it's 89.99k but it appears all the SONY outlets' official price is 99.99k. That's a 10k difference. Can anyone verify it? :)
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 10:27 PM by pchin »

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #57 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 10:32 PM »
This is the funny thing. In the SONY web site it's 89.99k but it appears all the SONY outlets' official price is 99.99k. That's a 10k difference. Can anyone verify it? :)

Hi Pchin. In the new sony summer pleasures 2007 catalog, the srp of S200a is 89.99k.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 10:45 PM »
Hi Pchin. In the new sony summer pleasures 2007 catalog, the srp of S200a is 89.99k.

That's where I got the info in the first place. Summer Pleasure 07 valid til June 3, 2007 right?  ;D

For model 32S200A (32") is 99.99k while 26S200A (26") is 89.99k. barrister's post is referring to 32S200A (32")  :-X
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007 at 10:45 PM by pchin »

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #59 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:11 PM »
That's where I got the info in the first place. Summer Pleasure 07 valid til June 3, 2007 right?  ;D

For model 32S200A (32") is 99.99k while 26S200A (26") is 89.99k. barrister's post is referring to 32S200A (32")  :-X

sorry my mistake. the summer catalog says 99.99k but in a separate one page catalog, its says New SRP 89,990 for the 32S200A.