Author Topic: "BONA" @ Cinema One  (Read 4024 times)

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"BONA" @ Cinema One
« on: Aug 21, 2006 at 06:25 PM »
I watched the mini-documentary about this film before it started. Nora Aunor was superb. She's so obsess! She would even take Philip a bath! Kabaliwan na ang ginawa ni Bona! Hehe!  ;D ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: "BONA" @ Cinema One
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2006 at 10:45 AM »
It's a great film, one of Brocka's best, and maybe his best film with Nora (if you don't prefer Ina Ka ng Anak Mo).

I like Ina ka a lot, but I do think Bona is better.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2006 at 10:47 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 09:26 AM »
speaking of BONA, it was shown yesterday lunch time at cinema one, was able catch it for the first time. Nora was wonderful, and the ending was cathartic. galeng!  8)

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 06:01 PM »
Para sa mga di nakanood...

It will be shown again on August 26, 10:30 p.m....

Offline qwerty765

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 12:39 PM »
speaking of BONA, it was shown yesterday lunch time at cinema one, was able catch it for the first time. Nora was wonderful, and the ending was cathartic. galeng!  8)

I was able to catch a glimpse of the first part of the movie, di ko nga lang alam na Bona pala title nun  ;D, mejo naingayan ako sa background, parang ang gulo, I switched channels tuloy. Sayang

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 10:25 AM »
Bona this thursday august 31. 7pm.

heads up lang.

:)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
thanks a lot for watching Bona... unfortunately the movie's only being shown in the Philippines and is not part of cinema one global. it's truly one of Brocka's best!

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2006 at 02:52 PM »
Just saw this for the first time last week. Powerful movie! Just one question: I saw steam coming out of the pot Bona was holding and hurling at Philip's character. Was this movie magic or extreme Method acting?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 06:33 PM »
Next to HIMALA, its Nora's best and most memorable performance.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 01:44 AM »
It's definitely up there, but let's not forget Nora in Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos or Bakit Bughaw ang Langit. Or Condemned, or Bulaklak sa City Jail. Or Kastilyong Buhangin.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 03:59 PM »
It's definitely up there, but let's not forget Nora in Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos or Bakit Bughaw ang Langit. Or Condemned, or Bulaklak sa City Jail. Or Kastilyong Buhangin.

Gosh, that is my greatest frustration, catching a glimpse of those films, sad to say, they are hard to find. Thank God to CinemaOne. Hopefully, they can announce their line-ups a little earlier para naman makapaghanda ako.  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2006 at 08:40 AM by riverfan »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 06:06 PM »

TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS is no. 3 on my lists Noel, when you talk about Nora's best performances in her entire filmography.

I need to see again KASTILYONG BUHANGIN due to sentimental reasons. And that song by Basil Valdez is timeless. Is the print still exists?
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2006 at 06:09 PM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 12:30 AM »
I am yet to see Bona. I don't have Cinema One here but I hope that they release it on DVD soon...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 02:41 PM »
Gosh, that is my greatest frustration, catching a glimpse of those films, sad to say, they are hard to find. Thank God to CinemaOne. Hopefully, they can announce their line-ups a little earlier para naman makapaghanda ako. :)

Every beginning of the month I'd spend sixty pesos (this was early millenium) on the Sky Cable Guide and pore over the Cinema One sked, day by day, marking down what I wanted to watch.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2006 at 07:04 PM »
we have to thank my good friend Ronald Arguelles of Cinema One for successfully retrieving a copy of Bona from the Cinematheque Fracaise. it took him quite a long time to finally obtain a clean and clear copy of the movie that everyone who has a subscription to Cinema One in the Philippines is now enjoying...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2006 at 07:15 PM »
Jojo, would you happen to know if they got rights to release this on DVD as well, or just to broadcast it on Cinema One?
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2006 at 07:30 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2006 at 06:59 PM »
as far as i know Cinema One has the rights to show the movie on cable in the Philippines. there are no plans of releasing Bona on DVD just yet...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2006 at 11:40 AM »
Just saw this for the first time last week. Powerful movie! Just one question: I saw steam coming out of the pot Bona was holding and hurling at Philip's character. Was this movie magic or extreme Method acting?

It's clever sleight-of-hand (or sleight-of-lens, if you like).

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 09, 2006 at 11:49 AM »
Jojo, I'm getting senile. Is it the Cinematheque that has Brocka's print of Bona or the British Film Institute? Or the Anthology Film Archives in New York?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 09, 2006 at 06:10 PM »
you know it's weird Noel... the print i saw here in New York had english subtitles but the one from Cinematheque has French subtitles and was the one shown at the Director's Fortnight of the Cannes Film Festival in 1981. so now i think there are two existing prints of Bona. the one housed at the Museum Of Modern Art which i saw is slowly deteriorating while the other one is in pristine condition. this is the version being shown on cinema one in the Philippines but of course with cuts since it had to passs the MTRCB guidelines for local airing.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2006 at 09:48 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 10:52 AM »
I wonder what are the deletions from the film, Jojo? The one that I saw many years ago in channel 13 had no cuts, if I'm not mistaken except for the commercials, of course.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2006 at 10:55 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 11:40 AM »
I wonder what are the deletions from the film, Jojo? The one that I saw many years ago in channel 13 had no cuts, if I'm not mistaken except for the commercials, of course.

there were a lot of deletions from the original cut of Bona. the one shown on channel 13 was the same copy used for the Pamana Ni Brocka series after Brocka's death in 1991. this was under Maria Kalaw Katigbak's reign as censors chief.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2006 at 11:42 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 11:46 AM »
You mean the one that they aired on Cinema One is the director's cut of Brocka, Jo? It can't jibe on my sked to see it on Cinema One.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2006 at 11:53 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 11:57 AM »
no may cuts din ang ipinapalabas sa Cinema One dahil kailangan din nilang ipa-censor 'yung movie even if it's being shown on cable. dito kasi hindi na pinapadaan sa MPAA ang mga cable produced shows and movies unlike sa 'Pinas.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2006 at 11:57 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
As far as I know there's only one real pristine print of Bona, and it's in the BFI, along with Insiang, Tinimbang and a few other films. Moma could have a print, but it's probably not the prints that Brocka smuggled out of the country--that was done with the help of Pierre Rissent, and he didn't leave the prints with Moma.

As for the Cinematheque video--I'm guessing they made a video copy for when it was shown in France, maybe in the Cinematheque, and Ron got his copy from that video copy. But let me ask around, thanks.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
the copy that Ronald got was trasferred from the print housed at the Cinematheque. apparently the print at the MOMA was donated by Pierre Rissient along with Jaguar and Macho Dancer which is now a part of their permanent collection.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 12:33 PM »
Its sad to know really the state of our film preservation. You have to go overseas just to get the copy of the film.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 12:38 PM »
it's not hard to find out why. for instance Insiang is going to be screened at the New York Film Festival this October and the film isn't getting any support from the government. the CCP print is okay but the festival requires a pristine copy of the movie for it to be shown. there were talks about transferring it to HD but it's so darn expensive.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 10, 2006 at 12:52 PM »
I'm not sold sometimes on CCP's idea on selling some of the films that they have on their archive like what they did to ORO and some other ECP flicks. I mean this is part of our culture and selling it is like seliing your house and lot. But if the buyer can really take care of it like Cinema One is doing.... then there are exceptions.

I just wish it can be sold to the right buyer.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2006 at 12:54 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2006 at 04:18 AM »
Okay, checked with my source. Pierre Rissient was going to do a deal with Brocka to distribute a number of his films: Insiang, Tinimbang, Maynila and Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa. The deal fell through and instead of sending back the prints and negatives (which cost money) Rissient deposited them at the BFI, for which we can all be grateful (I'd be more grateful, tho, if they had gotten that distribution deal). Also deposited in the BFI, I don't know if they were part of the deal or not, were Ganito and Itim.

Cinematheque's Bona I don't know what the deal was, but Rissient wasn't involved. Everyone--in Manila at least--thought that was the last remaining copy. The MOMA Bona print we only heard of recently--we have Jojo to thank for the early heads up. That one has English subs, the Cinematheque print has French.

And that's about it, except I'm asking whether Bona in Cinematheque is a print or a print and a negative. What about MOMA Jojo--do they have a negative?