Author Topic: Survivor Cook Islands  (Read 8783 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Survivor Cook Islands
« on: Aug 21, 2006 at 08:14 PM »
The show's about to debut on September 14. According to rumors and supposed pictures circulating on the internet, the groups for this season will be segregated in a vastly different and potentially controversial way -- the 4 groups will supposedly be lumped together by race.

For years, I've always dreamed of a day when Survivor would actually play the race card and it looks like it is going to happen. Hopefully it will be as controversial and incendiary as I have dreamt it to be.

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Survivor Cook Islands
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2006 at 10:29 PM »
...and the Hidden Immunity Idol to really come into play.  ;D
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2006 at 10:42 PM »
I'm getting my Survivor fix by watching Celebrity Survivor: Vanuatu hosted by Dicko until the American version starts up again.  ;D

But I have a weird feeling that Cook Islands and the next one will be the last two seasons for the US franchise.

Check in about a year if I was right...  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 01:02 AM »
SURVIVOR: COOK ISLANDS CONTESTANT INFO

-- http://www.survivorfever.net/s13_contestants.html

Interesting...The African-American tribe has a 45y.o., while the other 4 ranges from 26 to 35y.o.;  The Asian-American tribe has a 42y.o., while the other 4 ranges from 28 to 36y.o.; The Hispanic tribe is almost balance, ranges from 25 to 36 y.o.; and the Prejudice tribe has a 44 y.o., while the rest...ranges from 23 to 28 y.o.

The women are almost balance...with 5 in their early/late 20's and 5 in their early/late 30's... ;D

The men will be more troublesome...with 3 almost in their 40's, 1 in his late 30's, 2 in their early 30's and 4 in their early/late 20's...Age/Generation Gap? Hmmm...

I think the race card will only be an appetizer...when, let's say 2 to 4 are voted-off from the original 20...they will do what they usually does and mixed them up into 2 teams...
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006 at 01:31 AM by phildo »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 07:49 AM »
I'm getting my Survivor fix by watching Celebrity Survivor: Vanuatu hosted by Dicko until the American version starts up again.  ;D

But I have a weird feeling that Cook Islands and the next one will be the last two seasons for the US franchise.

Check in about a year if I was right...  ;D

Hankey, have you seen any badmouthing being thrown David Oldfield's way? That guy had the reputation of Hitler in the 90s along with Pauline Hanson. Too bad they didn't include Hanson.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 10:38 AM »
Hankey, have you seen any badmouthing being thrown David Oldfield's way?

Yeah, his bio on the site actually mentions that. So far, he hasn't created waves on the show, and there haven't been any barbs. Maybe when the tribes are shuffled, since the female team seems to have the more politically outspoken members.

Back on topic, the Survivor: Cook Islands Official Site is up.

I'm surprised to see Jonathan Penner on the show. Do any of you guys remember him from The Naked Truth, that really bad Tea Leoni sitcom that used to air on the i-Channel? He must be in dire need of any exposure to jumpstart his career, since I haven't seen him in anything since that show got cancelled maybe a decade ago?

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 10:51 AM »
I read somewhere that there are two Fil-Ams in there. I think Jenny is one, is Brad the other one?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
I read somewhere that there are two Fil-Ams in there. I think Jenny is one, is Brad the other one?

I guess. Virata just seems like a completely Pinoy name among Asians... is it?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 03:33 PM »
The vietnamese guy looks like a cross between that oriental character actor who has long hair and kitaro. The asian team looks like a bunch of go-getters this may create immediate internal conflict. The Virata guy looks gay though -- not that there's anything wrong about it! (Channeling Seinfeld!)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2006 at 07:27 PM »
Yeah, his bio on the site actually mentions that. So far, he hasn't created waves on the show, and there haven't been any barbs. Maybe when the tribes are shuffled, since the female team seems to have the more politically outspoken members.

Back on topic, the Survivor: Cook Islands Official Site is up.

I'm surprised to see Jonathan Penner on the show. Do any of you guys remember him from The Naked Truth, that really bad Tea Leoni sitcom that used to air on the i-Channel? He must be in dire need of any exposure to jumpstart his career, since I haven't seen him in anything since that show got cancelled maybe a decade ago?

jonathan penner has been popping up on TV every now and then... all just guest-starring roles tho. i remember him best for "the last supper" with cameron diaz... that movie was probably on HBO asia's "heavy rotation list" for a while cause i saw it all the time a couple of years ago. LOL.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 01:51 PM »
NYC officials want new 'Survivor' pulled

Burnett has succeeded in reviving interest in his aging franchise. I don't understand the brouhaha but the experiment should be very interesting for TV.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 02:34 PM »
Americans are quite sensitive to any issue that involves race because they'd like to live in their make believe world where they think racism never exists in their f'ed up country. A concept like the one being used by survivor right now hits just a little too close to home.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 06:07 PM »
Yeah. I find the race division they did rather TAME, actually. Had I been the show's producers I would've cast the tribes this way:

Aryans
Jews
Arabs
Lebanese

Now THAT would've been be must-see TV.  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 06:11 PM »
you can always trust americans to take political correctness to an absurd degree... naturally, i can't help but wonder if all this brouhaha is just publicity to drum up interest in the show. LOL.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2006 at 12:29 AM »
Yeah. I find the race division they did rather TAME, actually. Had I been the show's producers I would've cast the tribes this way:

Aryans
Jews
Arabs
Lebanese

Now THAT would've been be must-see TV.  ;D

Now that is a concept that should be explored for next season. You should also add fundamentalist/ultra conservative catholics into the mix.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2006 at 09:27 PM »
Studio 23 Schedule:

"Live" Satellite Broadcast: Fridays, 1:00PM (Starting September 15)

Replay: Saturdays, 7:30PM

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 04, 2006 at 12:41 AM »
Studio 23 Schedule:

"Live" Satellite Broadcast: Fridays, 1:00PM (Starting September 15)

Replay: Saturdays, 7:30PM

Oh, sure..."LIVE Via Satellite"...the most overused/abused word on TV...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 11:05 AM »
Just a couple of hours more. Hopefully this is going to be an interesting season, for the past few survivors, my interest was only piqued for two episodes and then I get bored.

The Survivor concept that I really want to see is "the Lord of The Flies" -- now that I would watch faithfully.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 02:12 PM »
Did anyone else get a déjà vu from the show's opening? Except for the "segregated by races" part, it looked and felt almost exactly like Survivor 1.

From her very first "confessional," I like Jenny already. I'm not even sure if it's because of her or because she's Pinay. But she seems like a pleasant person.

The Asians rule!

Two thoughts on the racial issues:

1. The Reward/Immunity Challenge outcome was INDEED a racial stereotype when you consider who came in first and who came in last.

2. The most racist comment I heard was from the person sent to Exile Island when the Exile Island segment began.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 02:57 PM »
I knew the order of the outcome would immediately be seen as stereotypical.

One interesting thing I have noticed while watching the first episode is that you really can't help but root for the people of the same race even if you think to to yourself that you won't do it consciously. And there is actual racial pride if your "team" does well. I was practically pumping my fist in the air when the race ended.

Go Asians!!

Racial stereotyping is starting to happen though -- when the preview for the next episode was shown and a problem of one of the teams came up you couldn't help but say "ah, typical ____. They really love their breaks."

By the way, I don't like the twist at the end of each race. Seasoned Survivor veterans what do you think? Was this the same dynamic used in Survivor: Exile Island? I really can't remember because I only watched like the first episode of that season.

This might prove to be a very interesting season.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 06:28 PM »
Asians rule! Hope the two Pinoys are in for the long haul although most reality writers are betting on Yul to win it all. Dalton Ross, who was in the island during the first episode's filming, observes that they also had the best camp.

It looks like the African-Americans are going to get Pagong-ed or worse, Ulong-ed.  ;D

If I remember correctly, it was the winning tribe that chose who gets to go to Exile Island. I didn't like the twist now but it helps that it did not force the Asian tribe to make enemies this early.

If the first episode were any indicator, this may be the engaging edition since Palau.

Offline otogi

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2006 at 09:07 PM »
hu hu hu :'( I missed the replay. Only read this thread just now!!!  :'(

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2006 at 01:54 PM »
Asians RULE! And Yul is their Emperor!  ;D

But they've really made themselves targets with back-to-back wins. I will bet you that they will be the first targeted after any merges/tribal shuffles that will happen.

Other thoughts:

1. It was really funny at the start - Whites did NOTHING and were celebrating the return of Jonathan, Black were celebrating finally creating fire, Hispanics were celebrating catching one chicken, and Asians were celebrating catching TWO chickens. I said it before, I'll say it again: Asians RULE!

2. With the smaller tribes, the Asians were correct in creating a lean-to as their shelter. It's all you'll need for a group of five. Asians RU-(ah, never mind, you know that by now)

3. If you're gonna try to throw a challenge, you shouldn't be that obvious about it.

4. That was the FUNNIEST tribal council of all-time. I would've fallen off my stool if I were in their shoes. Jeff's expression to the delusion was priceless.

This is one of the best seasons of Survivor ever.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2006 at 05:32 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2006 at 02:21 PM »
That tribal council was a classic "What the..?!" moment. I felt like I missed an entire episode all together. It makes you really want to watch the rerun just to confirm "did it really happen?"

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2006 at 02:38 PM »
i think she actually said "we love you"... not "i love you".  :-[

billy is totally cuckoo... poor guy. (must be from all that headbangin'. ha ha ha!)  :P

3. If you're gonna try to throw a challenge, you shouldn't be that obvious about it.

i know... i mean at least look like you're trying. break a sweat or something... anything...

ozzy is an a$$... and j.p. is a bigger a$$ for blowin up like that when it was obviously ozzy who should be getting a rise.

hankey's right... for all the brouhaha caused by the whole "race" thing... this is actually the most entertaining survivor to come in quite a while. heck! even richard hatch must be watching from his jail cell. LOL.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2006 at 02:51 PM »
iheck! even richard hatch must be watching from his jail cell. LOL.

That is, if he's not playing prison wife to a guy named Bubba.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2006 at 03:23 PM »
Being a fat musician does not bode well for this edition.  ;D

Although I thought throwing the challenge was a bad idea, we would have missed a classic tribal council. Lots of funny lines especially from the Aitu tribe. "You guys got crabs?"

I did not like her last week but Flicka earned my respect back. Adam must go if they lose.

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2006 at 08:28 AM »
yey!!!  asians rule!!!  good thing they are getting along quite well so far in the game!! :)

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 29, 2006 at 02:26 PM »
Ozzy should realize he made a huge mistake with throwing a challenge. That strategy never worked and is quite cocky for a game like Survivor.

So glad Becky was safe! I hope Yul knows what he's doing telling her he found the idol. Even if they have an alliance, it's not prudent to show all your cards this early.

It looks like the tribes come across as brains vs. brawn. The latter being Brad's tribe. As long as all the Asians are safe until the final four, I didn't mind that the ethnic segregation only lasted for two episodes. The experiment was better TV than last season's.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 29, 2006 at 11:26 PM »
Can someone text me what happened in today's episode? I live in Mother Ignacia where almost ALL electrical posts were damaged during yesterday's storm. We still have no power, phone line or internet for two days now.