Author Topic: How has your DVD selection criteria evolved?  (Read 11351 times)

Offline TSGarp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Doh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:How has your DVD selection criteria evolved?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 28, 2003 at 11:46 AM »
I now select DVDs as buy or rental  ;)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #31 on: Feb 28, 2003 at 12:45 PM »
I always loved action movies no doubt because of the full usage of 5.1 channels.

I only buy love story DVDs if the wife requests.

Pero pag may sale and good deal sometimes I grab at the opportunity and go home saying, "Bakit ko binili to?" :-\

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2003 at 12:06 AM »
Ever since I got my NextBase S200, mas gusto ko na mga action movies with DTS tracks ngayon.   8)

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2003 at 03:53 PM »
With the economy going nuts, I buy only origs that satisfies all the following criteria:

most important, I should like the movie itself
are fully loaded in features
should be less than P700.

If features are lacking, I seek 'alternate sources'. For example, Sweet Home Alabama is just a 'barebones' release in R3 so I get the R1.

I only buy from Amazon for titles I really long for and is not available locally like UFO and Space:1999

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2003 at 07:02 PM by viper »

Offline indski

• Collector
  • "I want TOYZZ!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Mar 08, 2003 at 02:23 PM »
rent muna sa umpisa den started browsing titles fr. astro R3 so buy 1 title every 2wks naging evry wk b4 u knw it  mor dan 1 titles na tapos found amazon ayun shifted 2 R1 online naman ang drama,i buy dvd loaded wid special features and also the limited edition dvds but l8ly i'm mor on concert dvd pra kahit ulit ulitin d nkksawa...

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2003 at 09:07 AM »
pag mas madalas pag-usapan dito sa pinoydvd yung movie, then titingnan ko sa amazon or dvdreview, pag mataas talaga yung reviews, then bibili na ko... so guys thanks so much sa inyo, you're the dvd experts... :) :D :)

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 09:24 PM »
Lately, I've been staring long and hard at Superbits...

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 02:35 PM »
initially i only bought "action genre" dvds with awesome sound. so my initial haul composed of Gladiator, The Patriot, Braveheart, Mission Impossible 1 and 2, die hard trilogy, Heat.

eventually i started buying my old faves like the View Askew movies :)

now i have broadened my selection to smarter stories

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 02:40 PM »
Not much because they're still overpricing DVDs the same way they overpriced audio CDs for twenty years.

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 04:52 PM »
collecting may be pricey but if you look at the right places there are deals that you find that aint that bad. i have bought a lot of brand new R1 dvds in the 500-800 range.

IMHO, what is still really overpriced are CDs. DVDs are still a bit pricey but wouldn't say they are exhorbitantly priced.

as long as guys like Charbit have their Supersales ok  na ;D

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 10, 2003 at 11:08 PM »
Yeah, but they're mostly old stock, programs that have been shown many times on local television or cable, or titles that no one will buy. Some companies do that routinely, especially when they want to clear their inventory and sell the good stuff at premium prices.

Second, you're referring to R1s, which aren't sold by local retailers or wholesalers without permission from international media companies. They're also sold without VRB stickers, which means no taxes are paid.

Finally, what happens when you receive defective disks? Most local sellers don't get them at wholesale price, and it is expensive to ship the disks abroad for replacement. (Foreign stores will also ask for the receipts that they gave to the seller, which you don't have.)

collecting may be pricey but if you look at the right places there are deals that you find that aint that bad. i have bought a lot of brand new R1 dvds in the 500-800 range.

IMHO, what is still really overpriced are CDs. DVDs are still a bit pricey but wouldn't say they are exhorbitantly priced.

as long as guys like Charbit have their Supersales ok  na ;D

Offline AVDude

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 09:36 AM »
Sa-Simula
Basta me sale or mura...and ok naman yun palabas..bili na

Ka-Gitnaan
Bought my 1st concert DVD...maganda pala and ok din ulit ulitin...so decided to expand my collection ng mga concerts...tapos mas naging pihikan ako sa mga movie selection's ko..only those movies I really like and either UE, SuperBit Deluxe and boxed sets ang kino-kolect ko...

Ngayon
Mas lalong naging pihikan...tapos medyo having urges to watching a lot of cartoons..i.e. emperor's new groove, tarzan,shrek,atlantis,Titan A.E.,Ice Age, etc...so decided to collect all disney/pixar animation..kasama na yun mga toys heheheh...

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 11, 2003 at 02:49 PM »
Yeah, but they're mostly old stock, programs that have been shown many times on local television or cable, or titles that no one will buy. Some companies do that routinely, especially when they want to clear their inventory and sell the good stuff at premium prices.
guys like charbit n' parc also have a bunch of new titles included on their sale lists. i for one dont like watching movies on tv. just dont appreciate movies if they arent using DD or DTS sound. not fond also of the inferior picture quality of tv. thats just the way i am :) my cable tv if for NBA and news ... dont watch any other form of program :)

Second, you're referring to R1s, which aren't sold by local retailers or wholesalers without permission from international media companies. They're also sold without VRB stickers, which means no taxes are paid.

i personally believe R1s are the only way to go. R3s at times dont have the same options for some reason. as long as the distributors get their royalties, i am at peace about buying R1s. as for the government and their tax ....screw them. the money will go nowhere anyway. besides who wants that stupid looking VRB sticker on their dvd anyway.

Finally, what happens when you receive defective disks? Most local sellers don't get them at wholesale price, and it is expensive to ship the disks abroad for replacement. (Foreign stores will also ask for the receipts that they gave to the seller, which you don't have.)
so far i have only had 2 defective dvds out of the 100 or so i have purchased. each one i was able to send back to retailer with no problem at all... matagal lang the wait for the replacement.

this topic is majorly offtopic btw :)

if you are really fond of watching movies ...dvd collecting is the way to go bro :) it can be expensive, but if you enjoy it naman then ok lang :) kanya kanyang bisyo lang yan diba ;)

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 12:43 PM »
These new titles aren't often collectors' editions, in demand, popular, or even new. In many cases, sales take place if there is an over supply or if producers are dumping to replace them with new stock. That means you'll end up having to buy the "new" version soon.

Check out the titles: the ones that sell for 500 to 800 aren't very popular, while the ones that are in demand in other forums here sell for P1,400 or higher. When a title is sold at a low price, especially in the Philippines, it's done because it's old stock or because a new version (at regular price) will appear soon. I'm referring to legal sales, i.e., R3 or sold with VRB stickers.

Notice how the word "expensive" is used several times in this forum. That means the price of DVDs is a put-off for selecting titles. Chances are, someone who doesn't have a lot of money or who wants to dump most of his money in a format that will eventually be replaced will be forced to choose titles, buy and sell R1s without VRB stickers, or buy second-hand. That hardly helps one's "selection criteria," especially when some of the good stuff (like Criterions) are priced at P2,000 or so.

Finally, now that we're talking about buying and selling R1s locally that don't have VRB stickers, perhaps we can also say that PDVDs also affect one's selections.

guys like charbit n' parc also have a bunch of new titles included on their sale lists. i for one dont like watching movies on tv. just dont appreciate movies if they arent using DD or DTS sound. not fond also of the inferior picture quality of tv. thats just the way i am :) my cable tv if for NBA and news ... dont watch any other form of program :)
i personally believe R1s are the only way to go. R3s at times dont have the same options for some reason. as long as the distributors get their royalties, i am at peace about buying R1s. as for the government and their tax ....screw them. the money will go nowhere anyway. besides who wants that stupid looking VRB sticker on their dvd anyway. so far i have only had 2 defective dvds out of the 100 or so i have purchased. each one i was able to send back to retailer with no problem at all... matagal lang the wait for the replacement.

this topic is majorly offtopic btw :)

if you are really fond of watching movies ...dvd collecting is the way to go bro :) it can be expensive, but if you enjoy it naman then ok lang :) kanya kanyang bisyo lang yan diba ;)

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 12:45 PM »
And I forgot the 10 to 25 percent tax for imported disks.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re: How has your DVD selection criteria evolved?
« Reply #45 on: Jul 10, 2005 at 02:21 AM »
Before:

As Long as it is under Region1 Coding

Now:

As long as it has high marketable/reselling value in the future
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 06:34 PM »
Before, i was smittened by the previous "Family Holiday Sale" of Warner where in titles sold for 350. It happens that titles that i was looking for was for sale. So i immediately bought those titles. If i remember correctly that was the first sale for DVDs during that time locally that was actually affordable.

Then, i came across PinoyDVD. It opened the possibility of purchase for foreign DVDs. I bought titles that ive seen before.

Now, i try to buy Criterion DVDs because of its nice selection. Plus, documentaries.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2005 at 07:08 PM by riverfan »

Offline keilu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 09:56 PM »
This addictive hobby started when someone gave me a dvd player....................

Yr 2000:
    Chance to watch at leisure the films i loved as a child (Labyrinthe, Never Ending Story) and the old musicals of hollywood (singing in the rain, philadelphia story, high society and others)

Yr 2001:
     LOTR: Platinum extended edition opened my eyes to the other features a dvd format can provide  ;D (not to mention the great giftset, which i only recently purchased)

Yr 2002-2004:
     got addicted to boxsets (Mighty Ducks, Speed, Die Hard, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ultimate Matrix and others)

Yr 2005:
     got curious about Korean movies which my friends have been talking about (particularly Sassy Girl, Windstruck) and notable korean releases (Hero UE, Leon the Prof). 
     then of course, there are the  Collector's Ed, utlimate ed., limited ed..... - got to stop looking at the posts in the Limited Ed/Collectible edition thread ;D

And then, not to forget...there are the usual sale at astrovision - this one does not need any criteria...as long as its a good buy........  ::)

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 10:17 PM »
from Region 3 to region 1 to region 2 japan to region 3 korea to region 2 uk/germany/french.

from 350 before to 12,500 price range :'( :o

I can't stop.  I keep on telling to myself na ayoko na talaga.  But I can't

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 11:10 PM »
My choice has simply evolved. Before, it was like there was no tomorrow. Now, I select only the films I really, really like, better if they have freebies like the LOTR Gift sets or good packaging like Hero UE. Sa hirap ng buhay ngayon, dapat you collect not just for the heck of it. ;D