Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346505 times)

Offline Stark3

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #1200 on: Jul 10, 2009 at 01:22 PM »
Hi guys,

Just a quick question : have any of you thought that the denons (1909 below) lacked power to drive your speakers?

I'm saving up for a good receiver and I like the 1909's feature set, but the lack of pre-outs cuts off the possibility of using an external power amp, making me think twice about it.

Thanks.

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1201 on: Jul 10, 2009 at 01:31 PM »
well if you plan to use your receiver in a large listening room then your best bet is to go with an avr with preouts..but for others like me who just have this ample area of about 9-12 sqm..it is enough  ;D

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1202 on: Jul 10, 2009 at 03:09 PM »
Or replace current speakers with high sensitivity ones like 93+ dB.  ;)
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1206 on: Jul 14, 2009 at 02:16 PM »
Hi guys,

Just a quick question : have any of you thought that the denons (1909 below) lacked power to drive your speakers?

I'm saving up for a good receiver and I like the 1909's feature set, but the lack of pre-outs cuts off the possibility of using an external power amp, making me think twice about it.

Thanks.

Hi.  I use my Denon 1909 for a 20sqm room at home.  Its matched to a Wharf 9.5, Wharf 9cs, Wharf DFS, and a Polk Audio sub.  I think its powerful enough for my room. I actually don't even turn up the volume very high to get a good HT experience.

It might really depend on how big your room is.  Hope this helps.  thanks

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1207 on: Jul 17, 2009 at 07:21 AM »
Or if you can't wait & 110V isn't an issue to you, we have members here like Toy 01 & Anya who can offer you better prices than locally acquired AVRs.  ;D

i wanna demo it first sana :)

inevitable na yung AVR upgrade kasi ..... am gonna compare it with onkyo 507 ......

Offline boosted69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1208 on: Jul 19, 2009 at 06:12 PM »
sir ano po feedback niyo sa Denon AVR-1708? wala po bang issues ang Denon AVRs?

ok po ba sa Wharfedale speakers ito?

thanks po.

Offline titopepe

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1209 on: Jul 19, 2009 at 11:36 PM »
why is 1910 cheaper than 1909?

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4858.asp

does the 1910 have preouts for poweramp?
call me tito... tito pepe!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1210 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 06:21 AM »
why is 1910 cheaper than 1909?

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4858.asp

does the 1910 have preouts for poweramp?

sorry @titopepe, only sub pre-out, based on the link you posted.  :(

if you want pre-outs, yamaha 663 or 665 series and up has it, onkyo 7 series up has it too.

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1211 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 09:44 AM »
sorry @titopepe, only sub pre-out, based on the link you posted.  :(

if you want pre-outs, yamaha 663 or 665 series and up has it, onkyo 7 series up has it too.

hk 255 and hk 355 has pre outs as well. i can give good deals on denon and hk amps. :)

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1212 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 01:11 PM »
bakit kaya inalis yung pre-out feature sa 19xx series?
tumaas lang naman ng 5-watt per channel power yung new compare to old 19xx

Offline Stark3

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1213 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 05:50 PM »
bakit kaya inalis yung pre-out feature sa 19xx series?
tumaas lang naman ng 5-watt per channel power yung new compare to old 19xx

Hmm ... Maybe to keep the same price point while adding new features na hanap ng consumers? Napansin ko from research, parang natanggal yung pre-out feature ng mga 19xx model in the same model na naglagay sila ng Audyssey EQ. My guess is when it came time to compromise on the feature sets, pre-out yung mas mababa sa list nila.

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #1214 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 06:02 PM »
anyone know the difference between, say, the 2309 and 2808?  ???
(or in general... what's the difference between the 23xx and 28xx series)?
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2009 at 06:09 PM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline joepaps

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1215 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 08:50 PM »
anyone know the difference between, say, the 2309 and 2808?  ???
(or in general... what's the difference between the 23xx and 28xx series)?
2808ci vs. 2309ci:

2309 advantages -
1. 2309 has 4 HDMI inputs vs. 2 on 2808
2. 2309 has the new Audyssey features (Dynamic EQ and Vol), 2808 doesn't

2808 advantages -
1. slightly more power, slightly better DAC's, slightly better audio processing with AL24 (it THEORETICALLY should sound a little better, but that's debatable)
2. Audyssey MultEQ XT vs standard MultEQ (but no Dynamic features)
3. full Pre-amp outs for all 7.1 channels (vital if you want to use as a pre/pro or add external amps)
4. can output digital (2-channel PCM) audio to Zone 2 (analog only on 2309)
5. 3-zone/3-source control (2-zones only on 2309) with video out to zone 2 (audio only on 2309)
6. more inputs (7 assignable video inputs instead of 5)

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #1216 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 08:57 PM »
yung NON-CI (local) version ng 2309 has preouts :)
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2009 at 08:58 PM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline riven319

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1217 on: Jul 27, 2009 at 10:22 AM »
Hi guys!

question sana sa mga denon with audyssey owners....

are you using the dynamic eq function of audyssey? 

...the audyssey instructions (from the web) advises that after setting the respective xovers for the speakers manually, the LFE xover/cutoff must be set to 120hz if it can be set....  in my case I set the speakers individually at 80hz with the exception of the LFE which is 120hz in the advanced setup whereas before I just had it basically at 80hz for everything.  Is that adviseable?

TIA!  :)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1218 on: Jul 27, 2009 at 03:11 PM »
...the audyssey instructions (from the web) advises that after setting the respective xovers for the speakers manually, the LFE xover/cutoff must be set to 120hz if it can be set....  in my case I set the speakers individually at 80hz with the exception of the LFE which is 120hz in the advanced setup whereas before I just had it basically at 80hz for everything.  Is that adviseable?

Yes, that's correct.

The setting for the LFE is actually a low-pass filter (LPF) which allows only frequencies at and below the setting to go to the subwoofer. Since the LFE channel has content all the way up to 120 hz, it is correct to set the LPF to 120 hz. That's the correct setting, with or without Audyssey.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline riven319

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1219 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 03:15 PM »
Yes, that's correct.

The setting for the LFE is actually a low-pass filter (LPF) which allows only frequencies at and below the setting to go to the subwoofer. Since the LFE channel has content all the way up to 120 hz, it is correct to set the LPF to 120 hz. That's the correct setting, with or without Audyssey.

thanks sir!

by my understanding that would not conflict with the xover of the mains?

I also received conflicting suggestions on the LFE+main setting.  I set my fronts to small.  I read from another site that they set their SW settings in denon to LFE+main while others discourage this.... 

thanks  :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1220 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 03:33 PM »
by my understanding that would not conflict with the xover of the mains?

I also received conflicting suggestions on the LFE+main setting.  I set my fronts to small.  I read from another site that they set their SW settings in denon to LFE+main while others discourage this.... 

The LFE channel is different from the main channels. LFE is mainly for sound effects. There will be no conflict if the xover of the LFE channel is different from the mains.

The fronts should always be set to small and let the subwoofer handle frequencies below the xover.

LFE+main is a bad idea and the terminology is also very confusing. It means that both the sub and the main speakers will handle frequencies below the xovers. This means that those bass frequencies will be reproduced twice - in the sub and the main speakers. Which means that the bass will be exaggerated.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1221 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 03:58 PM »
Streetsmart,

I read on your HT gallery thread that you previously owned a 2808 that eventually got damaged. I'm curious with what happened. I too owned a 2808 and it died in less than a year. I was using it as a pre amp and an unusual static buzz was being fed to all channels. Thankfully, the Denon is still under warranty but it's been 4 months and hasn't been repaired. Nagiintay pa yung service center ng replacement parts. I've since upgraded to an Onkyo 876.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 at 04:00 PM by dobler »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1222 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 04:20 PM »
Streetsmart,

I read on your HT gallery thread that you previously owned a 2808 that eventually got damaged. I'm curious with what happened. I too owned a 2808 and it died in less than a year. I was using it as a pre amp and an unusual static buzz was being fed to all channels. Thankfully, the Denon is still under warranty but it's been 4 months and hasn't been repaired. Nagiintay pa yung service center ng replacement parts. I've since upgraded to an Onkyo 876.

Sorry to hear that about your Denon 2808.

The shop said that the DSP chips in my 2808 were destroyed. No idea how that happened. I have a big AVR and line conditioner. Will cost P20k to repair. I'm thinking I will have it repaired and then sell it.

An Onkyo 876 is pretty good. PQ may even be better than the Denon 2808. Audio is probably about the same.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1223 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 04:34 PM »

The shop said that the DSP chips in my 2808 were destroyed. No idea how that happened. I have a big AVR and line conditioner. Will cost P20k to repair. I'm thinking I will have it repaired and then sell it.

An Onkyo 876 is pretty good. PQ may even be better than the Denon 2808. Audio is probably about the same.

I also have a big AVR connected to a Bada Line Conditioner but still it started buzzing. Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the 876. Way better as a preamp. GUI is a definite step up. Thanks for all your tips regarding Audyssey EQ btw. The thread for that one at avsforums is over 200 pages long. Nakakalula although their setup guide was a big help.

Offline riven319

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1224 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 04:59 PM »
thanks sir streetsmart!

that about cleared it up  :)

Offline jetro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1225 on: Jul 29, 2009 at 05:41 PM »

hmm... a bit OT but I've a friend whose pioneer VSX 5xx's (I forgot what model exactly) DSP chip got destroyed.  According to him, the technician said this is caused by playing a certain DVD under DTS setting.  I don't believe that but I must say when that story was fresh, I paused for a while thinking of selecting DTS over dolby when playing a DVD :)

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #1226 on: Jul 30, 2009 at 08:24 PM »
hope some denon owners here find this helpful:

BATPIG'S "DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY"
SETUP GUIDE AND FAQ
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2009 at 08:25 PM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1227 on: Aug 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM »
The new denon xx10 models coming very soon. :)

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1228 on: Aug 16, 2009 at 08:59 AM »
The LFE channel is different from the main channels. LFE is mainly for sound effects. There will be no conflict if the xover of the LFE channel is different from the mains.

The fronts should always be set to small and let the subwoofer handle frequencies below the xover.

LFE+main is a bad idea and the terminology is also very confusing. It means that both the sub and the main speakers will handle frequencies below the xovers. This means that those bass frequencies will be reproduced twice - in the sub and the main speakers. Which means that the bass will be exaggerated.

Sir Streetsmart,

Thanks for this valuable info ... i recently purchased a SVS PB10NSD subwoofer to complement my 5.0 setup on a Denon 1909 AVR, i would like to ask for pointers in setting up the subwoofer to get the most of it...by the way, the PB10NSD does not have a cross-over amp - only the phase and gain are adjustable, everything else would be set on the AVR ...i'm using Dali Concept 6 floorstanders for my fronts.

Reason i'm asking is that I used to own a Velodyne VX10 ... it sounded great for my setup then, but everytime I hear the same model on stores or other owners setup, they seem to be getting the best of it ...their bass are sounding a lot better even with low-end or smaller speakers complementing the sub compared to my system ... i'm just worried that I still would not be able to optimize my setup even with a better subwoofer without an expert advice.

I'm planning to use the Audyssey auto setup, but I read that that is not enough to optimize the subwoofer performance.

Thanks in advance sir.
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1229 on: Aug 16, 2009 at 09:11 AM »
Reason i'm asking is that I used to own a Velodyne VX10 ... it sounded great for my setup then, but everytime I hear the same model on stores or other owners setup, they seem to be getting the best of it ...their bass are sounding a lot better even with low-end or smaller speakers complementing the sub compared to my system ... i'm just worried that I still would not be able to optimize my setup even with a better subwoofer without an expert advice.

There are times when your room is the culprit. Even though how much you tweak your subwoofer settings, it just wouldn't sound the same as with stores or other people's setups.

I've tried putting my home theater setup in 4 different rooms and it only sounded great in two of them. Bass was almost non-existent in the other two rooms.