Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 345916 times)

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #1410 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM »
PM mo si toybeats... He had the chance to pair B&W 684 htm61 & Denon 2808CI last week. He tried all sort of tweaking, bi-ampling, etc.... Sabi nya bitin daw sa power ang 2808 vs. b&w nya as he can feel the speakers asking for more power. His volume is already set at 0db para lang audible yong dialog. Sayang nga daw kasi malinis tumunog ang 2808 kaya bitin sa B&W 684 nya.  ;)

i want to add also that my 2808 is driving 5.1 channels with Ikon6 L,R, center and surrounds
for regular blu ray, average volume would be -12 to 14 db. 0 is too loud in my case.. :) There may be a suspect as mentioned in the last few posts.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1411 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 12:21 PM »

Scary naman eto ::) Isolated case, perhaps?

Actually, it's not uncommon to hear complaints about Lotteworld. At the minimum, mabagal sila. At worst, you're not sure about their competence.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1412 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 02:16 PM »
Actually, it's not uncommon to hear complaints about Lotteworld. At the minimum, mabagal sila. At worst, you're not sure about their competence.

Ganun ba?  ::)  Sayang naman. They're the exclusive distro of Denon in the Phil., correct?

Is it common for Denon to make different versions of the same model but sold in different regions? ie, asian vs. US.

I saw a 3311ci online for about $800 :o

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1413 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 02:24 PM »
Ganun ba?  ::)  Sayang naman. They're the exclusive distro of Denon in the Phil., correct?

Is it common for Denon to make different versions of the same model but sold in different regions? ie, asian vs. US.

Insofar as I know, the main difference between the Denon models is that some US versions may be calibrated by an Audyssey installer. Those are the versions with "CI" which means "Custom Installer."

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1414 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 02:48 PM »
Insofar as I know, the main difference between the Denon models is that some US versions may be calibrated by an Audyssey installer. Those are the versions with "CI" which means "Custom Installer."

Oh ok, I got that impression kasi when Marc (avshop) told me that the 2310 sold locally has preouts while the US version doesnt have?

Locally bought 3311 doesnt have the "ci" at the end of the model number.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1415 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 03:01 PM »
Oh ok, I got that impression kasi when Marc (avshop) told me that the 2310 sold locally has preouts while the US version doesnt have?

Locally bought 3311 doesnt have the "ci" at the end of the model number.

Only US versions have "CI". That's the main difference I know. There may be others, as you have noted, but I'm not sure.

Offline meister_r

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1416 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 07:44 PM »
The correct crossover frequency of a speaker is dependent not only on the characteristic of the speaker itself but also the placement of the speaker and the acoustics of the room. After you run the Audyssey setup, it will give a recommended minimum crossover frequency. You can use that or you can increase the frequency (but don't lower it). Just experiment and choose what you prefer.

If you have a subwoofer and one or more of your speakers has been detected as "Large," change that setting to "Small" and then adjust the crossover frequency, similar to above.

Thank you mga bossing sa mga inputs! ;D, with regards sa power for me its loud enough di naman masyado malaki room ko. Im just concern about the desired crossover frequency as sir streetsmart was saying will try first to calibrate then make some adjustment..

Good luck sa akin  ;D.. will give some feedbacks.. btw i got my 2808ci at user electrohaus_lp at 38k is it a good buy? galing sya US floor display daw ung unit pero in hours of testing ok na ok naman 2808.. again good luck sa akin! ;)
Pana 42C10
Denon 2808ci
B&W 684, HTM61
Polk Audio Fxi A4
Velodyne CHT10r
Pana BD-60
Xtreamer P

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1417 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 08:49 PM »
Thank you mga bossing sa mga inputs! ;D, with regards sa power for me its loud enough di naman masyado malaki room ko. Im just concern about the desired crossover frequency as sir streetsmart was saying will try first to calibrate then make some adjustment..

Good luck sa akin  ;D.. will give some feedbacks.. btw i got my 2808ci at user electrohaus_lp at 38k is it a good buy? galing sya US floor display daw ung unit pero in hours of testing ok na ok naman 2808.. again good luck sa akin! ;)

Ok yan and mabait pa yan si sir Kelly ;)

Offline meister_r

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1418 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 09:49 PM »
Ok yan and mabait pa yan si sir Kelly ;)

Yes sir macdon two thumbs up for Sir Kelly! :) 
Pana 42C10
Denon 2808ci
B&W 684, HTM61
Polk Audio Fxi A4
Velodyne CHT10r
Pana BD-60
Xtreamer P

Offline mandyb

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1419 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 11:31 AM »

Hi, is the 'CI' indicated on the front panel of the unit next to 2808? Just curious because i dont have it mine although the box has it with 2808ci. I bought mine locally 2years ago and never thought about it until now. :-[

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1420 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM »
Hi, is the 'CI' indicated on the front panel of the unit next to 2808? Just curious because i dont have it mine although the box has it with 2808ci. I bought mine locally 2years ago and never thought about it until now. :-[

If your unit came from the US (110 volts), it's likely a CI unit.

Let me be clearer about what "CI" means in practice -- It means you can have your Denon AVR calibrated by a professional using Audyssey Pro. That is basically a much more sophisticated version of the Audyssey MultEQ calibration because it uses an individually calibrated and very accurate microphone, can do 32 mic positions, can select the target curve (depending mainly on the size of your room) and can create a filter which is optimized for your specific crossover.

In order to do this, you need a professional Audyssey calibrator who will purchase the license for you and then do the actual calibration, using his equipment. The cost of the license is $150, cost of calibration varies.

Insofar as I know, I am the only Audyssey Pro calibrator in the Philippines.  ;D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1421 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 01:06 PM »

Insofar as I know, I am the only Audyssey Pro calibrator in the Philippines.  ;D

Ayan naman pala eh ;D

So how does one pay the $150 calibration license? ........and more importantly, how much does the only pro calibrator in the philippines charges?  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1422 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 01:13 PM »
Ayan naman pala eh ;D

So how does one pay the $150 calibration license? ........and more importantly, how much does the only pro calibrator in the philippines charges?  ;D

For the calibration license, I have to be the one to purchase it kasi you have to be a licensed pro calibrator to get the license.

For the other charges, sa US, calibrators usually charge $300. Ako ... ewan ko pa. Siguro kung si Venus Raj, libre.  ;D ;D

Offline mandyb

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1423 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 01:19 PM »
If your unit came from the US (110 volts), it's likely a CI unit.

Let me be clearer about what "CI" means in practice -- It means you can have your Denon AVR calibrated by a professional using Audyssey Pro. That is basically a much more sophisticated version of the Audyssey MultEQ calibration because it uses an individually calibrated and very accurate microphone, can do 32 mic positions, can select the target curve (depending mainly on the size of your room) and can create a filter which is optimized for your specific crossover.

In order to do this, you need a professional Audyssey calibrator who will purchase the license for you and then do the actual calibration, using his equipment. The cost of the license is $150, cost of calibration varies.

Hi Streetsmart,

i guess its not a ci unit since its 220v :(

Thank you for the clarification, greatly appreciated. ;D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1424 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 02:29 PM »

For the other charges, sa US, calibrators usually charge $300. Ako ... ewan ko pa. Siguro kung si Venus Raj, libre.  ;D ;D

Hahahahahahahahahaha :D :D

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1425 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 02:38 PM »
Ayan naman pala eh ;D

Sir Question, pwede bang gamitan ng Audyssey and ibang AVR gaya ng Yamaha?
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1426 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 03:06 PM »

Sir Question, pwede bang gamitan ng Audyssey and ibang AVR gaya ng Yamaha?

Audyssey MultEQ is an electronic room-correction technology that compensates for the peculiarities of the room. It is used by Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Marantz and NAD. IMHO, Audyssey technology is leading-edge and they keep pushing the envelope every year with new inventions. The other year, they had Dynamic EQ which compensates for lower bass and treble perception at volumes which are lower than reference. Last year, they came out with Audyssey DSX which enables you to have 11 channels + subs. This year, they have MultEQ XT32 which provides a huge jump in room correction power.

Other receivers have their own technologies. Yamaha has YPAO while Pioneer has MCACC. I'm not familiar with them.

In short, Yamaha doesn't use Audyssey. AFAIK, the only way to use Audyssey technology with other AVR's is through the Audyssey Sound Equalizer (I think it is $2500!) and the SVS AS-EQ1 subwoofer correction (which Mike C is selling locally).

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1427 on: Oct 26, 2010 at 05:41 PM »
Question mga masters,

Napansin ko kasi dun sa Denon AVR-1911 na 8-ohms lang ang nakalagay sa specs, does this mean na hindi nya kaya idrive ang 6-ohm speakers ko?

TIA
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1428 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 11:25 AM »
audyssey detected my new center speaker as out of phase. both the new and the previous center speakers were 8 ohms. re-ran audyssey with the center speaker at reverse polarity, the rear surround back became out phase.

what could be the problem?

btw, my receiver is a 2308.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM by GneW »

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1429 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM »
Sir, suggestion lang, have you tried removing replugging the speaker wires? Or baka naman yung polarity nung mga nakakabit na speaker wires?
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1430 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM »
Sir, suggestion lang, have you tried removing replugging the speaker wires? Or baka naman yung polarity nung mga nakakabit na speaker wires?

sir, i've ran audyssey many times with my current system and never have encountered out of phase problem. unfortunately, by just changing to a new center speaker (w/ dual 6.5" drivers) the problem arise.

Offline staind01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1431 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 03:07 PM »

where is this sir? thinkin of gettin the 3310. mura na e. is $200+ price diff to the 3311 worth it?

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1432 on: Oct 29, 2010 at 11:28 PM »
out of phase? :( hmmm .... weird kasi ang idea ko is ibabaligad mo palng speaker polarity dapat ayus na yan ......

is the center speaker brand new? i mean hindi naman kaya na tampered internal niya?

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1433 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 09:10 AM »
out of phase? :( hmmm .... weird kasi ang idea ko is ibabaligad mo palng speaker polarity dapat ayus na yan ......

is the center speaker brand new? i mean hindi naman kaya na tampered internal niya?

problem solved na mga sir. binaliktad ko ang terminals tapos ran audyssey again.

thanks ;)

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1434 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM »
sir, i've ran audyssey many times with my current system and never have encountered out of phase problem. unfortunately, by just changing to a new center speaker (w/ dual 6.5" drivers) the problem arise.

On the 1910, it states on the manual that for some speakers, audyssey shows an error of having polarities reversed even if you have it connected properly. It recommends to just ignore the message.

I encountered this when running audyssey, and on one of the speakers, it showed an error in polarity. I checked the connections and just ignored the message.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2010 at 12:53 PM by Beefy »

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #1435 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 02:00 PM »
i also encountered the phase error when i was using a small pioneer bs before. checked everything was good and disregarded the message. changed the pio with better speakers after a few months and did not encounter the message again for the surrounds.
but last month i encountered the same phase message with the center speaker, checked it, baliktad nga nung naglinis ako hehe. so always check para sure kung amp or human error.  :P

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1436 on: Oct 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline bryan338

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1437 on: Oct 31, 2010 at 05:46 AM »
hello guys,

im using denon 1910, tatanong ko lang sa mga fellow denon users, naka on ba yung dynamic range volume niyo? sakin kasi naka on tapus naka set sa day para mas malinaw yung voice sa center, kasi pag naka off medyo mahina ang voice.. thanks po sa reply.

btw im using polk audio cs10 center, then auto configuration ng audyssey is L/C/R/SR/SL -5/-5/-5/0/+2. what i did is yun center ginawa kong -1 :D

Offline siggwiz

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1438 on: Oct 31, 2010 at 02:44 PM »
Common problem ba sa Denon AV Receivers yung crackling sound, high pitch noise, tapos mawawala yung sound when you use optical input? Tried googling the net and a good number of posts have basically these problems. Experience those same problems in a 1908 and 1708.  Thanks sa input.

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1439 on: Oct 31, 2010 at 03:30 PM »
thinkin of gettin the 3310. mura na e. is $200+ price diff to the 3311 worth it?

anyone?