Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346362 times)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #1500 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 01:29 PM »
Is it true that for music lovers, Denon is the AVR of choice (70% music, 30% movies)?
And saan ba nakakabili ng Denon?

I used to own a Yamaha receiver. I know that Yamaha is really built for HT. But when I heard the Denon receivers, they actually sound better for HT. That's the reason I upgraded to a Denon 1509. :)

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1501 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 01:42 PM »
Mukhang papunta 1911 ang HT build-up ko ah. Any views about this model compared to other 30K'ish ones?
Be better than the Theater.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #1502 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 03:17 PM »
Is it true that for music lovers, Denon is the AVR of choice (70% music, 30% movies)?
And saan ba nakakabili ng Denon?

It all depends on your preference and your gear. List your "must have" features, and the "good to have" ones. Identify the models that would fit your needs. Listen to them all, if it's possible... then decide. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011 at 03:19 PM by Stagea »

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #1503 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 03:47 PM »
Mukhang papunta 1911 ang HT build-up ko ah. Any views about this model compared to other 30K'ish ones?

The 1911 would usually be pitted against the Onkyo 608 as they are in the same price range and I think that these are the two most popular receivers for HT.

For Denon - Has Audyssey MultEQ compared to 2EQ for Onkyo
              - Supposedly more musical but this a bit subjective

For Onkyo - On paper has 10 more watts per channel but could actually be more based on the Onkyo's   larger electric current demand.
              - THX Select2 Plus certified

What is not seen on paper is that you have to match the receiver with the speakers that you will actually use in order to arrive at the desired sound quality.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1504 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 10:26 PM »
still using both of them. they blend well with the SVS speakers ;)
nice.  akala ko dispose mo na   :)

I just read lang kahapon a Denon was compared to its similar Onkyo model and though they both sound superb sa movies, slightly better ang SQ ng Denon using the same setup. So you mean HK is even better for music?
character na daw kasi ng mga receiver yun.  :)
eto pa madalas kong nababasa dati.
onkyo best for HT, now that i got an onkyo receiver, i now know why.  :)
compared to what i had before, medyo mas matapang nga ang bass nya plus that fact that it is a bit brighter than my previous denon receiver.

btw when i bought my denon receiver about over a year ago, i had the chance to compare it with an HK receiver, at that time feeling ko lamang na lamang yung HK (sa music) when used with the JBL and wharfe, but when we used the polk speakers that im buying, nagbago isip ko, i decided to get the denon 1509.  :D

now i have an onkyo 508 and aaudio speakers, i decided to talk to the guy who bought my denon receiver (1509).  since he has a lot of bluray titles and PS3 games, and most of my media is just 5.1 DD and DTS ONLY, we decided to do a week of trial. 
win win situation incase mag decide kaming mag-trade, he wants/needs the advance features that my onkyo has to offer and i on the other hand wanted/missed the SQ that my denon used to deliver.  1 week trial lang since im not using the same polk speakers, baka magsisi rin ako, kasi masaya naman ako sa onkyo ko ngayon, baka mas mapasaya lang ako ng denon  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline fattyacid

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1505 on: Jan 07, 2011 at 08:11 AM »
It all depends on your preference and your gear. List your "must have" features, and the "good to have" ones. Identify the models that would fit your needs. Listen to them all, if it's possible... then decide. :)

The only gears I have are the five-100w speakers from my old HTIB and I will use these to setup a 5.0 HT (passive lang kasi sub ko so I may not be able to connect it to the receiver). But eventually the speakers will be upgraded so wala pa talaga akong pang test. Planning/Baby steps ika nga ang build-up.

My must have is definitely an HT that leans more to "great music" than movie audio. Lahat naman ata may good reviews about having this quality but I can find more articles on this about Denon than others. Syempre you have to pair it with the speakers that will sing to it.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011 at 08:17 AM by fattyacid »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1506 on: Jan 07, 2011 at 08:28 AM »
The 1911 would usually be pitted against the Onkyo 608 as they are in the same price range and I think that these are the two most popular receivers for HT.

For Onkyo - On paper has 10 more watts per channel but could actually be more based on the Onkyo's   larger electric current demand.

What is not seen on paper is that you have to match the receiver with the speakers that you will actually use in order to arrive at the desired sound quality.

diba onkyo advertised their rated power at 2 channel driven and not all 7 channels. if so, what do you think is the actual power if all 7 channels driven?

i own a denon but forgot to check if their claim is also the same, 2 channel driven only.

i want to upgrade my receiver to onkyo but with the budget i have looks like i will only a side grade (power wise) :D. there are lots of new features available now that i do not need like hd audio (after reading the a/b test about a minimal to no difference than conventional dd/dts audio), 3d, networked unit & etc. all i'm interested is the front height speaker which is not available in my receiver now.

what do you guys think about getting a new onkyo receiver with the same power rating of a denon?

Offline fattyacid

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1507 on: Jan 07, 2011 at 08:36 AM »

A great feature of this Denon model is also the built-in Ipod connectivity (through USB and not a dock). About Onkyo's THX Select2 naman, around 5 feet away lang naman ako sa LCD so this will not matter.

Offline 9ume6

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1508 on: Jan 12, 2011 at 07:35 AM »
which is better? 2106 or 1609
will use as HT 60% Music 40%

tnx to anyone!

Offline sanction214

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • This is why we need Power line Conditioners!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1509 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 03:23 PM »
Does Denon's A/V receiver's digital signal microprocessors also goes busted???? I have not used it that much lately...my trusted 1705 no longer gives sufficient power to the LFE subwoofer jack even if I replaced the RCA with new ones.. any advise suggestion would be appreciated before I have this serviced...=)

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1510 on: Jan 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
diba onkyo advertised their rated power at 2 channel driven and not all 7 channels. if so, what do you think is the actual power if all 7 channels driven?

i own a denon but forgot to check if their claim is also the same, 2 channel driven only.

i want to upgrade my receiver to onkyo but with the budget i have looks like i will only a side grade (power wise) :D. there are lots of new features available now that i do not need like hd audio (after reading the a/b test about a minimal to no difference than conventional dd/dts audio), 3d, networked unit & etc. all i'm interested is the front height speaker which is not available in my receiver now.

what do you guys think about getting a new onkyo receiver with the same power rating of a denon?

Home theater Magazine August 2010 tested the Onkyo 608( rated at 100 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohms) to have an actual output of 30.9 watts x 7 channels at 0.1% distortion and 40.1 watts x 7 channels at 1% distortion. All at 8 ohms.

Does anyone know if denon amps produce power near their rated specs?
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2011 at 10:39 PM by Beefy »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1511 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM »
Home theater Magazine August 2010 tested the Onkyo 608( rated at 100 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohms) to have an actual output of 30.9 watts x 7 channels at 0.1% distortion and 40.1 watts x 7 channels at 1% distortion. All at 8 ohms.

bumping  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1512 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 06:21 AM »

This is normal. The power ratings of AVR's are usually for 2-channel only. They have a single power supply which all channels share. Therefore, when you run multi-channel, the average available power per channel drops dramatically.

On the other hand, movies normally do not have all channels going full-blast at the same time. The surrounds are usually more quiet than the fronts.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1513 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 08:08 AM »

It might be less since the power consumption of Denon is less compared to the Onkyo.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Beefy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1514 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM »
It might be less since the power consumption of Denon is less compared to the Onkyo.

Less power consumption doesn't always equate to less power output. Efficiency is the key.I have an amp which draws less current but produces more power than my other amp which draws more current.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM by Beefy »

Offline Beefy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1515 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM »
This is normal. The power ratings of AVR's are usually for 2-channel only. They have a single power supply which all channels share. Therefore, when you run multi-channel, the average available power per channel drops dramatically.

On the other hand, movies normally do not have all channels going full-blast at the same time. The surrounds are usually more quiet than the fronts.

Yes. But on the same magazine, the Cambridge audio Azur 650R(rated 100 watts/channel) was tested to have an actual output of 128.5watts x 5 channels and 91.5 watts x 7 channels at 0.1% distortion.

Arcam avr500 produced power near their rated specs as well when driven 7 channels continuously.

I replaced my 130 watt Yamaha with a 105 watt rated denon and didn't noticed the change in volume requirement which made me think of the actual power these denons produce as i can't find a magazine that test those avrs.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM by Beefy »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1516 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM »
maybe someone owns both and can check for us a 100 w/ch denon vs a 100 w/ch onkyo receiver.

how about harman kardon, their published power are lower than the competition. was there a test done by Home Theater Magazine?

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1517 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 01:47 PM »
Home Theater Mag measures the following Denons thus:

Denon AVR-2311ci rated at 105wpc

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 83.3 watts
1% distortion at 91.5 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 66.3 watts
1% distortion at 74.7 watts

Denon AVR-4310ci rated at 130wpc (my current AVR)

0.1% distortion at 113.8 watts
1% distortion at 131.0 watts

0.1% distortion at 104.6 watts
1% distortion at 116.6 watts

-- Sound and Vision Mag has almost similar measurements for the Denon AVR-4310ci at 5 channels and 7 channels driven.

Denon AVR-4810ci rated at 140wpc

0.1 percent distortion at 123.5 watts
1 percent distortion at 148.2 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads: ***
0.1 percent distortion at 30.9 watts
1 percent distortion at 36.0 watts (Protection Engages)
*** Apparently this one has an Auto Protection Circuit that engages when the AVR is pushed to its limits at 7channels driven. But as streetsmart mentioned, all channels driven to the max is a rare occurrence in real life viewing.

Offline Beefy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1518 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 01:58 PM »
Home Theater Mag measures the following Denons thus:

Denon AVR-2311ci rated at 105wpc

0.1% distortion at 83.3 watts
1% distortion at 91.5 watts

0.1% distortion at 66.3 watts
1% distortion at 74.7 watts

Denon AVR-4310ci rated at 130wpc (my current AVR)

0.1% distortion at 113.8 watts
1% distortion at 131.0 watts

0.1% distortion at 104.6 watts
1% distortion at 116.6 watts

-- Sound and Vision Mag has almost similar measurements for the Denon AVR-4310ci at 5 channels and 7 channels driven.

Denon AVR-4810ci rated at 140wpc

0.1 percent distortion at 123.5 watts
1 percent distortion at 148.2 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads: ***
0.1 percent distortion at 30.9 watts
1 percent distortion at 36.0 watts (Protection Engages)
*** Apparently this one has an Auto Protection Circuit that engages when the AVR is pushed to its limits at 7channels driven. But as streetsmart mentioned, all channels driven to the max is a rare occurrence in real life viewing.

Just what I was looking for thanks gaol!  ;D

What issue or month was the 2311 tested?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1519 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 01:59 PM »
By way of comparison, Home Theater Mag measures the conservatively specced NAD T747 as follows:

NAD T747 rated at 60wpc

0.1% distortion at 99.7 watts
1% distortion at 114.0 watts

0.1% distortion at 66.8 watts
1% distortion at 79.8 watts

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1520 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 02:04 PM »
Just what I was looking for thanks gaol!  ;D

What issue or month was the 2311 tested?

Here's the link:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/denon-avr-2311ci-av-receiver

This review was posted Dec. 15, 2010, published Dec. 15 also.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1521 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 05:06 PM »
Less power consumption doesn't always equate to less power output. Efficiency is the key.I have an amp which draws less current but produces more power than my other amp which draws more current.

That's why I said "might". My experience with Denon is I first purchased a Denon 1611 receiver from Sights and Sounds contrary to the advice of one of the salesmen that the Onkyo counterpart 508 was more powerful. When I got home indeed the 1611 was weak. I returned it immediately and chose the Onkyo 608 over the Denon 1911 based on my internet research that the receiver with a higher power consumption would more likely pump in more watts to the speakers. Anyway the Onkyo 608 produces 80 watts with 5 channels being driven so that is enough for me as I have no intention to use 7 channels in my bedroom. I can't find any measured output figures for the Denon 1911 and 1611 online.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline SETSUT

• Collector
  • Time spacewarp....Ngayon din!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1522 on: Jan 15, 2011 at 06:27 PM »
That's why I said "might". My experience with Denon is I first purchased a Denon 1611 receiver from Sights and Sounds contrary to the advice of one of the salesmen that the Onkyo counterpart 508 was more powerful. When I got home indeed the 1611 was weak. I returned it immediately and chose the Onkyo 608 over the Denon 1911 based on my internet research that the receiver with a higher power consumption would more likely pump in more watts to the speakers. Anyway the Onkyo 608 produces 80 watts with 5 channels being driven so that is enough for me as I have no intention to use 7 channels in my bedroom. I can't find any measured output figures for the Denon 1911 and 1611 online.
"My experience with Denon is I first purchased a Denon 1611 receiver from Sights and Sounds contrary to the advice of one of the salesmen that the Onkyo counterpart 508 was more powerful." I agree bro. At first im eyeing on Denon but when we test both onkyo 508 and denon 1611, I found that 508 is far apart than 1611 that's why i go home with my new onkyo 508.
Tested this receiver during New Year with my wharfedale 9.6 and 9cm then I played the "Time of my life" by Black eyed peas I expect to give me the gapang bass im looking for and the 508 didn't disappoint me. At the volume of 45, swabeng-swabe ang bayo. :D
LG32LH35
HDX1000
Pioneer DV-220KV
Wharfedale 9.6, 9CM, 9.1
Mirage Omni S10
Onkyo TX-SR508
Xbox 360

Offline fattyacid

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1523 on: Jan 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM »
Im now having second thoughts on the Denon. Power wise, it may be a bit weaker than the Onkyo counter part. Haizz sobrang tagal na ng window shopping ko... :(

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1524 on: Jan 17, 2011 at 02:18 PM »
Im now having second thoughts on the Denon. Power wise, it may be a bit weaker than the Onkyo counter part. Haizz sobrang tagal na ng window shopping ko... :(

Which model were you planning on? I've listened to a Denon 2311 and it sounded quite good (with an all Klipsch set-up at Spectra) and the specs from earlier posts confirm the good power available.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline fattyacid

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1525 on: Jan 17, 2011 at 03:09 PM »
Which model were you planning on? I've listened to a Denon 2311 and it sounded quite good (with an all Klipsch set-up at Spectra) and the specs from earlier posts confirm the good power available.

Onkyo's counterpart of 2311 is 708 which is a bit cheaper but has more power and features which include pre-outs and and an additional sub out. Kumbaga taob ang 2311 compared to 708 in almost all aspects. But initially I'm eyeing 1911 and anlayo ng price difference niya sa 708 for just some added power and features. Sana may magbenta ng 708 niya... sakin. ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1526 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 09:07 AM »
Mga Tsip, can someone enlighten about the quality of Denon 3808 as a standalone multi-channel AVR.  I think the owners (in this board) of this high-level AVR are mostly using pre-out for the fronts.  However, I have no plans of piggy backing an AVR to a power amp so I hope to get some feedback as to how this particular model can be expected to perform on its own in a 5.1 configuration.

Reason for asking: I just found a rather attractive deal somewhere near, and I've been itching to see "DTS-HD" or "TrueHD" indications in my TV room.  Hehehe.   And I've been wondering why Denons in general are lighter compared to other brands...even the volume knobs are light.   ;)

Thank you!

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011 at 09:09 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline burnikulski

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1527 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 09:42 AM »
Quick question lang mga bros, may nakakaexperience ba ng parang low volume level sa Denon? Yung tipong kelangan mo i-crank up ng husto ung volume knob just to get decent sound? Para kasing sa Onkyo ganon.

Offline joelsoldao

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • "Cute sa picture gwapo sa personal"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1528 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:13 AM »
try mo recalibrate then adjust mo yung volume per channel ganun ginawa ko sakin. ;D

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1529 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM »
Mga Tsip, can someone enlighten about the quality of Denon 3808 as a standalone multi-channel AVR.  I think the owners (in this board) of this high-level AVR are mostly using pre-out for the fronts.  However, I have no plans of piggy backing an AVR to a power amp so I hope to get some feedback as to how this particular model can be expected to perform on its own in a 5.1 configuration.

Reason for asking: I just found a rather attractive deal somewhere near, and I've been itching to see "DTS-HD" or "TrueHD" indications in my TV room.  Hehehe.   And I've been wondering why Denons in general are lighter compared to other brands...even the volume knobs are light.   ;)

Thank you!

A Denon 3808 is an excellent AVR, including its power amps. As long as your room is not that big or you don't listen too loud, you should be fine.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.