Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346487 times)

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #1530 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM »
try mo recalibrate then adjust mo yung volume per channel ganun ginawa ko sakin. ;D

What model yung Denon nyo sir? So ganon din pala sa Denon?
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline burnikulski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1531 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 12:13 PM »
try mo recalibrate then adjust mo yung volume per channel ganun ginawa ko sakin. ;D

Ganon ba bro. Actually, natry ko lang sa friend ko, I was actually researching because Im planning to get a new receiver kaya basa-basa and queries muna.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1532 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 01:11 PM »
mga sirs,

malaki ba ang improvement sa system ko kung mag add ng power amp like a Rotel RB-985 (THX certified) 5-Channel Power Amplifier with 5 x 100w rms at 8 ohms? i'm using a denon 2308 with 7 x 100w (daw??). i know it does not deliver that much in real world. gusto ko lang malaman kung talagang night and day ang improvement niya na makalimutan ko ang ginastos dahil sa saya ;D

thanks

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1533 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 01:35 PM »
mga sirs,

malaki ba ang improvement sa system ko kung mag add ng power amp like a Rotel RB-985 (THX certified) 5-Channel Power Amplifier with 5 x 100w rms at 8 ohms? i'm using a denon 2308 with 7 x 100w (daw??). i know it does not deliver that much in real world. gusto ko lang malaman kung talagang night and day ang improvement niya na makalimutan ko ang ginastos dahil sa saya ;D

thanks

For a long time, I believed that the power amp can make a big difference. After a lot of experience with different amps, I started to doubt this. Then, I read this extremely interesting article. If you can tell the difference between 2 amps, this guy will award you $10k:

http://www.tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm

No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #1534 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 01:49 PM »
Quick question lang mga bros, may nakakaexperience ba ng parang low volume level sa Denon? Yung tipong kelangan mo i-crank up ng husto ung volume knob just to get decent sound? Para kasing sa Onkyo ganon.

It will really depend on the amplifier's actual watts per channel and the speaker's sensitivity. Were you listening in stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 channel mode? How big is the room?
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011 at 01:53 PM by Conan »
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline burnikulski

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1535 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 02:00 PM »
It will really depend on the amplifier's actual watts per channel and the speaker's sensitivity. Were you listening in stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 channel mode? How big is the room?

Tried on 5 and 2 channels only, no sub. About sensitivity not sure because the speakers used were from an old minicomp.

The room is about 4 x 4 meters, with lots of objects all around.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1536 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 02:11 PM »
@sir mark,

thanks for the link.

@sir conan,

my room is 5x5 meters and using 5.1 system (actually 2 diy subs with one amp, dunno if its called 5.2 ;D). i'm using an SVS S series speakers, have to check the sensitivity later.

i noticed that when i'm watching alone or with 2 other peeps in the room, at -12db volume setting is already loud. but if there are about 5-8 people in the room even with not much noise, i have to bump up the volume to -5db or sometimes 0 db just to get the right loudness. tried to go +5db one time and the sound is not distorted naman.

so, do i really need an external amp? sometimes lang naman maraming tao sa tv room ko. most of the time ako lang mag isa ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011 at 02:12 PM by GneW »

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1537 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 03:00 PM »
Tried on 5 and 2 channels only, no sub. About sensitivity not sure because the speakers used were from an old minicomp.

The room is about 4 x 4 meters, with lots of objects all around.

If the speakers came from a mini-component then check if the impedance is 8 ohms or 4 ohms. If it's 4 ohms then your receiver will have to be capable of driving 4 ohm speakers, if not then you run the chance of overheating and damaging the receiver. That could also be the reason why the receiver is having a hard time driving the speakers.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1538 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 05:35 PM »
got some pm and text that the power amp did not do much better than the receiver's amp. we all know that the receivers actual power is below rated.

did anyone bench test the power amps if they actually delivers their rated power?

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1539 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 06:46 PM »
got some pm and text that the power amp did not do much better than the receiver's amp. we all know that the receivers actual power is below rated.

did anyone bench test the power amps if they actually delivers their rated power?

To give you an idea, during the Hifi show last November, the HT room of AV Driver had a Denon A100 amp, which is rated at 140 wpc for 9 channels. The actual rating for all channels driven is much lower than that. Nonetheless, it was driving 7 speakers very loud in a big room. Wala problema. It sounded beautiful.

Offline burnikulski

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1540 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM »
If the speakers came from a mini-component then check if the impedance is 8 ohms or 4 ohms. If it's 4 ohms then your receiver will have to be capable of driving 4 ohm speakers, if not then you run the chance of overheating and damaging the receiver. That could also be the reason why the receiver is having a hard time driving the speakers.

The impedance are ranging from 6 to 8 Ohms so no problem there, the receiver (as per manual) is capable of driving 4 - 16 Ohms. What's funny to me is, even the Tuner sounds tinny. When these speakers are connected to the Minicomp, they sound better, if not louder.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1541 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
To give you an idea, during the Hifi show last November, the HT room of AV Driver had a Denon A100 amp, which is rated at 140 wpc for 9 channels. The actual rating for all channels driven is much lower than that. Nonetheless, it was driving 7 speakers very loud in a big room. Wala problema. It sounded beautiful.

thanks sir mark, now i fully understand what you mean ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1542 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 12:48 PM »
A Denon 3808 is an excellent AVR, including its power amps. As long as your room is not that big or you don't listen too loud, you should be fine.

Thanks Streetsmart.  Which do you think is the better buy, a $700 display unit Denon 3808 (it's practically new) or a brand new Onkyo 1008 for $900?   Thanks again.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #1543 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM »
Thanks Streetsmart.  Which do you think is the better buy, a $700 display unit Denon 3808 (it's practically new) or a brand new Onkyo 1008 for $900?   Thanks again.

Bro clon maybe you may want to stretch your budget and get the onkyo 876, 3007 or 3008 ;) yung HDMI 1080p upscaling powered by HQV Reon-VX ay sulit na sulit :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1544 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM »

If your room has space for Wide speakers, I would get the Onkyo 1008. Otherwise, the Denon is a better value.

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1545 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 01:01 PM »

Hi Alan,

Lamang ang Onkyo 1008 for HDMI 1.4/3D and THX certification.
Lamang and Denon 3808 for MultEQ XT (MultEQ lang sa 1008 according to their US site).

As for how it sounds, it's subjective, some prefer the Onkyo while others Denon.

Cheers!

To me, if 3D is not important, I'd choose the MultEQ XT of the Denon for the room correction/calibration, plus I prefer its sound.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1546 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 01:45 PM »
Uy ang daming replies.  Thank you!

Ricky-san:  "Rekta" ang basic policy ko.  So instead of relying on a video processor/upscaler in between, I prefer buying a good 1080p HDTV.  I guess I simply don't know what I'm missing yet.  Tsaka I'd rather spend the extra money on more HDDs and plane ticket.  hehehe

Mr. Streetsmart:  I certainly have no space (and sturdy wall-mounting options) for wide speakers in my 3.5mx4.5m TV room, kaya hanggang 5.1 lang ang set-up ko.  Gusto ko lang maganda at buo ang tunog kahit low volume.   ;).

Hi Arn:  3D.  Oo nga no.  So if I opt for the 3808 and if ever I get a 3D HDTV, I can get 3D video but won't have the proper/extra HDMI output for HD audio?  Thats means optical connection/legacy soundstream lang ang puede kong gawin? Is it possible to split the HDMI 1.4 output so I'd have one going to the HDMI 1.3 AVR and another na direct to an HDMI 1.4 3DTV?  What about our A200, how are we going to do that when the A200 becomes 3D capable?   With a PC, it is easy to imagine running independent HDMI connection from the graphics board and the sound board respectively.

Thanks again.

Warm regards!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1547 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 01:50 PM »
I didn't realize that the Onkyo 1008 has only Audyssey MultEQ, not MultEQ XT. Big difference in favor of the Denon 3808.

If you have the Denon 3808 and you want 3D, get a 3D player which has 2 HDMI outputs - one for the TV (video) and the other for the AVR (audio). Ang alam ko ay maraming player with 2 HDMI outputs, precisely to solve the issue you're facing.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1548 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 02:00 PM »
Thanks for the enlightenment Streetsmart!

The only remaining but trivial concern is why Denon's volume knob is too light.    ;)

I remember the 1st time I purchased an AVR in the 90s, the seller advised me that better AVRs have heavy weight and heavy knobs.   ;D

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1549 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 02:45 PM »
I didn't realize that the Onkyo 1008 has only Audyssey MultEQ, not MultEQ XT. Big difference in favor of the Denon 3808.

If you have the Denon 3808 and you want 3D, get a 3D player which has 2 HDMI outputs - one for the TV (video) and the other for the AVR (audio). Ang alam ko ay maraming player with 2 HDMI outputs, precisely to solve the issue you're facing.

That's one of the reasons why a lot of people consider the Onkyo 1008 a downgrade from the Onkyo 1007, and also why Paul chose the 1007 instead of the 1008 for his setup.

@Alan,

Ayan pala sinagot na ni Mark, you would need to get a 3D BD player with dual HDMI outs. As for our A200, I'm not sure. Actually, the A200/A210 itself has only HDMI 1.3, which they say is not 3D-capable.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2011 at 02:55 PM by gaol »

Offline ichimaru_kenpachi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1550 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 05:11 AM »
Question mga master. Kailangan ba naka 12 o'clock yung volume knob ng subwoofer pag mag audessey calibration?

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1551 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 05:14 AM »
Question mga master. Kailangan ba naka 12 o'clock yung volume knob ng subwoofer pag mag audessey calibration?

That's the usual recommendation when you read the manual of most Audyssey equipped receivers.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1552 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 05:14 AM »

It depends on the subwoofer. Pero, for most subwoofers, yes...12 o'clock is a good starting point. ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1553 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 05:36 AM »

It depends on the sub. The important thing is that after the calibration, check the level of the sub. It should not hit -12 db or +12 db (those are the limits of the Denon receivers).

The usual problem is that the level is set at -12 db, which means that the volume knob is too high. Just lower it a bit and then re-run Audyssey.

Offline ichimaru_kenpachi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1554 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 05:46 AM »
Thanks mga masters! sensya newbie lang po sa hobby na to. BTW sir do I have to change anything on the other speakers after the calibration?Thanks again masters!

Offline joelsoldao

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • "Cute sa picture gwapo sa personal"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1555 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 05:48 AM »
Yung center mo nalang baguhin mo if parang kulang sau ung volume then pag kulang lahat add ka nalang ng +2db sa lahat depende sau.hehe

Offline bryan338

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1556 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 11:52 PM »
Yung center mo nalang baguhin mo if parang kulang sau ung volume then pag kulang lahat add ka nalang ng +2db sa lahat depende sau.hehe

sa ibang brand ba ng avr like onkyo or yamaha, mahina din ba ang center volume? kailangan din ba dagdagan atleast 2db or more para marinig ang voice? tia

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1557 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 05:18 AM »
sa ibang brand ba ng avr like onkyo or yamaha, mahina din ba ang center volume? kailangan din ba dagdagan atleast 2db or more para marinig ang voice? tia

Normally yes but it depends also on the movie.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1558 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 05:28 AM »

The source plays a real vital role on the sound output of not only the center speaker, but the whole set-up. :)

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1559 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 07:23 AM »
The source plays a real vital role on the sound output of not only the center speaker, but the whole set-up. :)

This is correct. The video source is really important. That is why I shy away from crappy movie downloads, I rather buy BDs or very good quality jacksparrow, pag less than 1GB kse ang mga files pansin ko, di maganda yung audio output parang 2.0 lang sya.

Re: center speaker, I used to have some irritation with my previous set-up, even after calibration, I still need to increase the center volume by 2-4 dbs. May be this is due to the speaker-avr combination? But now, I rarely adjust the center volume, again, depende sa source or movie... :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G