Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346172 times)

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #1890 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 04:28 PM »
Hello fellow Denon users :)

Has anyone tried using the Virtual mode when listening to 2channel audio?

Ok naman cya, hindi masyadong tunog processed at naging wider ang soundstage compared to stereo mode ;D
I'll try to compare it with pure audio mode :D

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1891 on: Mar 26, 2012 at 08:01 PM »
Hello fellow Denon users :)

Has anyone tried using the Virtual mode when listening to 2channel audio?

Ok naman cya, hindi masyadong tunog processed at naging wider ang soundstage compared to stereo mode ;D
I'll try to compare it with pure audio mode :D
masubukan nga.  TY bro louie :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline rgbautista

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #1892 on: Apr 04, 2012 at 10:40 PM »
Finally!  Got my first AV Receiver: A Denon AVR-1612.  Still setting up my home theater in our room.
Denon AVR-1612, Anthony Audio, SVS, Xtreamer Pro

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1893 on: Apr 04, 2012 at 10:57 PM »
Finally!  Got my first AV Receiver: A Denon AVR-1612.  Still setting up my home theater in our room.

how much was the damage bro?
Love me or hate me.....

Offline rgbautista

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #1894 on: Apr 05, 2012 at 05:11 AM »
how much was the damage bro?

I was able to get it for 17K from my neighbor who bought it abroad last year.  Used only once for testing.
Denon AVR-1612, Anthony Audio, SVS, Xtreamer Pro

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1895 on: Apr 05, 2012 at 12:04 PM »
Guys,

I'm planing to get a dedicated cd player and will connect it to my Denon 4311 through RCA(analog inputs).

If I will select "pure audio" mode will there be analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion/processing in the Denon 4311 or will the analog signal be untouched by the Denon 4311?

Or is it better to use the cd player's digital output and let the Denon 4311 handle the digital-to-analog conversion?

Thanks a lot!!! :)
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012 at 03:33 PM by Louie_18 »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #1896 on: Apr 05, 2012 at 03:48 PM »
Guys,

I'm planing to get a dedicated cd player and will connect it to my Denon 4311 through RCA(analog inputs).

If I will select "pure audio" mode will there be analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion/processing in the Denon 4311 or will the analog signal be untouched by the Denon 4311?

Or is it better to use the cd player's digital output and let the Denon 4311 handle the digital-to-analog conversion?

I think the 4311 can bypass conversion and digital processing in Pure Direct using the analogue inputs.  
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012 at 03:52 PM by Stagea »

Offline [r0n1n]

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1897 on: Apr 06, 2012 at 10:18 AM »
I think the 4311 can bypass conversion and digital processing in Pure Direct using the analogue inputs.  

So that means cdp's dac will do the conversion. typically naman mas maganda ang dac ng cdp compared to avr, right?
Paradigm Studio 10 | Anthem MRX310 | Power Sound Audio XS30 | Mirage Prestige

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1898 on: Apr 06, 2012 at 11:17 AM »
Guys,

Hi Sir Louie. I think your Denon 4311 can handle the conversion to analogue. Sa pagka alam ko, high end av receivers have very good built-in DACs na. When the receiver is set to "Pure Audio" or "Pure Direct" mode in stereo, the sound quality is almost similar to that of an integrated amplifier. Your Denon's THD is 0.05% in stereo. Maganda na ang THD mo compared to integrated amps and Denon is also known for music.

Have a good weekend.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1899 on: Apr 06, 2012 at 01:28 PM »
So that means cdp's dac will do the conversion. typically naman mas maganda ang dac ng cdp compared to avr, right?

Yes, but that does not automatically mean that they will sound good together. Kailangan subukan muna.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1900 on: Apr 06, 2012 at 02:19 PM »
Hi Sir Louie. I think your Denon 4311 can handle the conversion to analogue. Sa pagka alam ko, high end av receivers have very good built-in DACs na. When the receiver is set to "Pure Audio" or "Pure Direct" mode in stereo, the sound quality is almost similar to that of an integrated amplifier. Your Denon's THD is 0.05% in stereo. Maganda na ang THD mo compared to integrated amps and Denon is also known for music.

Have a good weekend.

The built-in DAC for the AVR-4311CI is the AK4358. Though decent as a multi-channel DAC, it falls below the specs of what's typically considered an audio-grade product (at least what would be fitted in a product intended for HiFi). Marantz's entry level CD Player (CD5004) for example uses the CS4392 DAC, which supposedly has a wider DR (not that it matters with Redbook) and a 6dB lower noise floor.

The 0.05% THD spec doesn't say how good an amp is, as it's just Denon's threshold for their power rating. That being said, the measured bandwidth of most Denon AVRs is usually decent (wider than the audible band, but short of specs that's normally flaunted by dedicated audio gear), and the higher model ones can deliver good current when only 2 channels are driven. DF of their flagship model is almost comparable to an entry level SS integrated amplifier (measurements show that it's ~20% lower than Marantz' PM5004, for example), while channel separation and noise floor are normally quite a bit worse.

From a pure spec and electrical measurement standpoint, AVRs generally don't stand a chance against dedicated audio gear (at least SS ones). However, the counter argument is that these specs matter less than the actual system presentation (and I would normally agree), as the numbers delivered by today's gear is already plenty lofty (even at the AVR level). Most components nowadays have the capability to sound good, either with proper matching (for the processing averse) or through interventions (extensive processing capability is getting cheaper with every model refresh) as long as the design limits are not breached.

If you're wondering why I'm comparing with Marantz gear, it's because they're Denon's more audio-oriented sister company (aside from McIntosh).
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2012 at 01:39 AM by Stagea »

Offline [r0n1n]

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1901 on: Apr 06, 2012 at 02:19 PM »
Yes, but that does not automatically mean that they will sound good together. Kailangan subukan muna.

Got it thanks!  :)
Paradigm Studio 10 | Anthem MRX310 | Power Sound Audio XS30 | Mirage Prestige

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1902 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 03:07 PM »
Got this news from AVSForums

1 April 2012

Denon Japan

Denon Launches new Flagship AV amplifier in Asia-Pacific - the replacement for the 4810, 4311 and AVC 1 - The AVR - 5113 aka - "Inakamono" 100th year APE (Asian Pacific Edition)

Denon signals it's recovery from the hiatus in new models with this flagship model which replaces three models at once, and introduces key new features in a new model which is the long expect replacement for the older 5xxx, 48xx and also the 43xx series, which have been soldering on due to damages to it's Fukushima facility as a result of the recent earthquake / tsunami twin disasters to hit Japan.

Dubbed fondly the Inakamono by it's R & D, this model promises a return to audiophile roots, whilst embracing several new important features, which have the Asian and in particular the Australian and NZ market in mind, which has long been overlooked by the USA and Europe ones.

This model will come in a silver-champagne blend, but the first 1000 will be available in more radical colors like Ferrari Red, Sake Brown, and Imperial Yellow as part of the 100th anniversary of Denon.

Key features:

Interface improvements:

- RS 232 port for installer and THX standards
- a new totally re-designed remote, with alpha-numeric keyboard on one side and a touch screen on the other, in addition to the standard remote, which is radio frequency allowing operation from another room (ala Bose)
- Apple lossless compatibility as well as Airplay function as standard with a iTunes-esque on screen menu

Power:

- Full 11.2 channel compatibility with 180W per channel time 11, all channels driven simultaneously
- Radical new power section with digital amplifier modules - Digital Universal Mono-Blocks ® which allow for 2 ohm function, lower weight and less cooling required and a resultant reduction in weight
- ability to tri-amp and power 2 ohm power hungry speakers (engineers at Fukushima have tested the amplifier on Electrostatic speakers)
- a special battery mode for brown outs and also for better sound quality – the amp has a patented Denon Brownout Special(BS) Auxiliary power mode that allows functioning in the event of outages, but more importantly for the fanatical audiophile, the option of an external battery power option which decreases any distortion due to an onboard power supply

Audiophile:

- MM and MC phono input as standard
- Merino Wool shielded circuits to decrease electrical interference
Researchers at Denon have found that Wool has even higher shielding properties compared to metallic compounds, and with the new Digital power amp section running cooler, Denon has been able to incorporate the finest Australian Merino Wool into a special weave which will shield sensitive areas of the amplifier
- a replacement for the Denon Link is now in it’s first iteration.
The new Fullrange Optical Overscan Link © has been touted to have a tenth of the distortion of the Denon Link cables, and allows for clock sync and jitter to be reduced to a never heard of 0.00001 %.
- 1 inch thick aluminum alloy casing for the minimal interference
Using the same material used to make aeroplane wings, Denon has been able to make the entire lower chassis of the amplifier from a single aluminum monoblock – ala Macbook Pro laptops.

Video:

- on screen display in 3D
- new video chip developed in house which allows for the ability to convert existing video and audio into a 3-dimensional experience. The Pseudo Interactive Sight & Sound ® (PISS) Chip is a radical new technology that challenges the frontier of 3D enhancement.

Denon Owner program:

- as a special reward to patient Denon fans who have been waiting for the longest time for this, there will be a Customer Harmony Experience Active Program Offer (CHEAPO) which will allow for previous Denon owners to bid at a price that they consider worthy for this new amplifier.

Barring any new disasters, this new model should be out in shops by April 31st. Pre-orders can be placed with your nearest Audiophile dealers now.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1903 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 03:31 PM »
Got this news from AVSForums

Uyy brader Louie, mukang pag dumating yan mag uupgrade ka na naman he he he
Walang Setup

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1904 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 05:06 PM »
11.2, AC-less listening mode, what will they think of next?
Be better than the Theater.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1905 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM »
For those that have the following models below, have you tried upgrading online for AirPlay?

AVR-991
AVR-3311CI
AVRA100
AVR-4311CI

http://usa.denon.com/us/Airplayus/index.html

Airplay Upgrade

Starting December 1, 2011, as the owner of a qualifying Denon receiver you are eligible for The Airplay Upgrade for no charge. Airplay enables your Denon receiver to receive and play music from your iTunes library over your home network. You can also use your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad to control your iTunes library as it plays remotely through your Denon receiver. A home network is required to get and use this feature upgrade.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM by stickfighter »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1906 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM »
For those that have the following models below, have you tried upgrading online for AirPlay?

AVR-991
AVR-3311CI
AVRA100
AVR-4311CI

http://usa.denon.com/us/Airplayus/index.html

Airplay Upgrade

Starting December 1, 2011, as the owner of a qualifying Denon receiver you are eligible for The Airplay Upgrade for no charge. Airplay enables your Denon receiver to receive and play music from your iTunes library over your home network. You can also use your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad to control your iTunes library as it plays remotely through your Denon receiver. A home network is required to get and use this feature upgrade.

Brader hindi ata kasama ang Asia sa mga pwedeng mag upgrade :(

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM by Louie_18 »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1907 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM »
Uyy brader Louie, mukang pag dumating yan mag uupgrade ka na naman he he he

Naku brader malabo na yan. Solb na solb na ko sa 4311. Saka gustuhin ko man di na kaya ng bulsa. Hehehe ;D

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1908 on: Apr 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM »
Brader hindi ata kasama ang Asia sa mga pwedeng mag upgrade :(

Honga noh...I didn't see that. :-[ Oh well.... ;D

Offline -lee-

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1909 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM »
pano po mapalabas display sa tv using denon 1912 tapos htpc with ati 4650 vcard? may display naman pag sa bios hanggang sa logo ng windows pero pagdating po sa windows (nasa desktop na), nawawala na display.. installed current drivers and catalyst control center

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1910 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM »
pano po mapalabas display sa tv using denon 1912 tapos htpc with ati 4650 vcard? may display naman pag sa bios hanggang sa logo ng windows pero pagdating po sa windows (nasa desktop na), nawawala na display.. installed current drivers and catalyst control center

Make sure that you're using a standard resolution.

Offline -lee-

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1911 on: Apr 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM »
Make sure that you're using a standard resolution.

sinubukan ko po gumamit ng secondary monitor, using the dvi slot.. then tried to detect displays, wala po syang makita na connected sa hdmi.. i think it has something to do with the ati card driver since may display naman pag nasa bios pa and dun sa logo ng windows, after that (pagkaload ng drivers, tapos nasa desktop na) bigla mawawala display..

tried to research, may problem talaga mga 4650 users when connected to denon 1912.. pero wala kong makitang solution  :(

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1352229.html

Offline ZeroCool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1912 on: May 09, 2012 at 07:34 PM »
Greetings to All!! I would like to ask where can I buy the cheapest DENON AVR-1612 in the Phippines?  ???

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #1913 on: May 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM »
Greetings to All!! I would like to ask where can I buy the cheapest DENON AVR-1612 in the Phippines?  ???

if you're talking about the whole country then it may well be someone who's giving it away for free. jk

common referrals-try these guys first.
Tein
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,155974.0.html
AVshop
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,137023.0.html
got an extra 110v port? try this guy for cheap alternatives.
electrohaus
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,98784.0.html

just a tip, bud. do your homework and get to know as much as you can about the different receivers and their approx prices (you can use amazon as basis). so as soon as you see someone selling their receivers in the marketplace you can just jump on it. you don't have to stick to one brand and one model. as much as possible if your buying 2nd hand avr's, get the one with existing shop warranty - just my opinion.

Offline ZeroCool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1914 on: May 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM »
As I've noticed 25k to 30k is the price range for Denon AVR-1612 in the local market, On a side note, it is currently being price @ $219 to $250 State side :o

Thanks for the links ZYZZ...

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1915 on: May 10, 2012 at 02:59 PM »
^
kaya nga uso dito nag import using jac, relatives or member anya or toy. as always with amazon purchases, weigh the risk of not having warranty to the price difference if you buy it locally. kung mga 5k lang difference, dito na lang ako bibili. pero kung mga 15k or more, dun nako sa amazon.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1916 on: May 15, 2012 at 01:55 AM »
As I've noticed 25k to 30k is the price range for Denon AVR-1612 in the local market, On a side note, it is currently being price @ $219 to $250 State side :o

Thanks for the links ZYZZ...

i'm here in the US for the past 2 weeks, i saw a Denon 1912 at Best Buy priced at around PhP 20k only ...  laki ng difference sa price
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline adonph

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1917 on: May 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM »
guys any feedback on the 3312? will be upgrading receiver na e, haha

Would appreciate advise and issues regarding this model

Compare sa onkyo 809, yamaha a1010

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1919 on: Jun 16, 2012 at 07:51 PM »
Heads Up!

Denon AVR-3312 is now on sale at Amazon for $549.99 from its former price of $1099: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR3312CI-Integrated-Surround-Receiver/dp/B004Z50L6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339820134&sr=8-2&keywords=denon+avr-3312ci

Cheers!

dami na tumatawag sa friendly neighborhood importers nila. great info. less than 30k is a very very sweet deal.