Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346306 times)

Offline bongchillog

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #2220 on: Oct 09, 2015 at 12:30 AM »
Ang tagal ng Denon X6200!!! Grabe inip na inip nako. In premium silver please!

I think arrived na ang new denon models as of this day.

And can be viewed for auditon at one of denon dealer in megamall...

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2015 at 12:30 AM by bongchillog »

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2221 on: Nov 09, 2015 at 06:57 PM »
hey guys!

any big difference on the S series and X series??

Looking for 4k support and Atmos but not gearing towards the high end Denon receiver.
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline carlofm001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2222 on: Dec 06, 2015 at 11:59 AM »
Hi guys,
I recently bought a Denon x2200 to replace an old HK AVR160 that i just bought from a friend leaving for the US. His set up included a 7.2 JBL Venue speakers (old model as well).
After i set up the Denon 2200w, i noticed that my left floor standing speaker's weren't working the way they should. So i've decided to change them to newer floor standing speakers.  Since I am very new to this, i tried asking around from stores and people who know more, and so far, based on suggestions, I started to initially consider 2 options - The Bowers and Wilkins 684 S2 and the Polk Audio RTI A7.
So i went to a store near me to audition. The store technician set up their Denon x2200 and let me hear the A7. Coming from my old and smaller JBLs i was amazed.. But I noticed I found the clarity somewhat "tiring" to my ears after a while. THEN he let me hear the B&W 683 S2 (they didn't have any 684's plus he said the 683's would be better). I was extremely impressed by the SQ of the B&W 683's! It sounded fuller and rounder than the A7's (to my ears at least). 

My question is this - Since I have untrained (non expert) ears, even as I was blown away by the sound quality of the 683 S2's on my Denon, are my 2200w's the right (enough) AVRs for the 683's (am i missing some extra SQ on my 2200's) or should I downgrade to 684's?
Second question - should I be comparing the B&W 683 S2's to the Polk Audio RTI A9's (instead of the A7's) as they seem to be a closer match in terms of size and price range? Last question would be, will my Denon x2200w be enoughbto power the A9's (specs on manufacturers websites indicate my Denon would power the B&W 683's better (aplifier required is 25w-200w as per website) than the RTI A9's (amplifier required is 50w-300w as per website if i recall right)?

Your help and advise is greatly appreciated!

Offline zram18

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2223 on: Dec 06, 2015 at 01:35 PM »
Sir,first of all, there is no right or wrong answer here, its only UK vs US. B&W is UK, Polk Audio is US.

but to compare: B&W speakers requires more amp juice to realize its full potential as compared to Polk Audio which is easier to drive.

you also need to consider receiver-speaker matching.
Denon is warm + Polk Audio with bright sound signature will result into neutral sound.
Denon is warm + B&W warm signature will result into warmer sound.
choose which sounds better to you, dont delve too much on power wattage because most manufacturers tend to claim higher power wattage on their receivers due to stiff competition in the market.it likewise applies to speaker manufacturers.

my vote goes to Polk Audio rtiA9 because of the following:
1. B& W speakers are a bit more pricey but not better on quality;
2. B & W requires more power wattage on its speakers;
3. Polk Audio sounds better for me.

i  like your dilemma, because either choice is ok.
PS: there is already a full blown discussion on the previous thread here entitled B&W 683 vs Polk RTIA9.

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2224 on: Dec 06, 2015 at 05:58 PM »
I find the bw 600 series a little laidback rather than warm, but that's just me; while Denon may sound warm to others but I would describe mine as smooth sounding.

CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline carlofm001

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2225 on: Dec 08, 2015 at 02:07 AM »
Sir,first of all, there is no right or wrong answer here, its only UK vs US. B&W is UK, Polk Audio is US.

but to compare: B&W speakers requires more amp juice to realize its full potential as compared to Polk Audio which is easier to drive.

you also need to consider receiver-speaker matching.
Denon is warm + Polk Audio with bright sound signature will result into neutral sound.
Denon is warm + B&W warm signature will result into warmer sound.
choose which sounds better to you, dont delve too much on power wattage because most manufacturers tend to claim higher power wattage on their receivers due to stiff competition in the market.it likewise applies to speaker manufacturers.

my vote goes to Polk Audio rtiA9 because of the following:
1. B& W speakers are a bit more pricey but not better on quality;
2. B & W requires more power wattage on its speakers;
3. Polk Audio sounds better for me.

i  like your dilemma, because either choice is ok.
PS: there is already a full blown discussion on the previous thread here entitled B&W 683 vs Polk RTIA9.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my newbie questions, I really appreciate it. 

I did see the old thread dating back to 2011 where they were comparing the A9's to the older 683 (not S2). I was just wondering if anything had changed in terms of insight given the updated model :-)

Since I did a side by side comparison with only the 683's and the A7's, I will arrange for a final audition between the A9 and the 683 this weekend :-) 

Hopefully I get my early Christmas gift very soon :-)

Thanks again!

Offline carlofm001

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2226 on: Dec 08, 2015 at 02:09 AM »
I find the bw 600 series a little laidback rather than warm, but that's just me; while Denon may sound warm to others but I would describe mine as smooth sounding.
Hi Sir, do you mind if I ask what you mean by "laidback rather than warm"? 

Comparing the A7 to the 683 S2's, I found the B&W's fuller and easier to my ears. But then again, I should have compared the A9's to the B&W's instead :-)

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #2227 on: Dec 12, 2015 at 02:00 PM »
guys question: what's the difference between x510bt and x520bt aside from the model number, watt per channel, and price?

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #2228 on: Dec 12, 2015 at 03:27 PM »
Hi Sir, do you mind if I ask what you mean by "laidback rather than warm"? 

character of its midrange
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline zram18

• DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2229 on: Dec 12, 2015 at 08:19 PM »
the only way to differentiate laidback from warm is by actual experience,better if speakers is on a side by side comparison. if you will hear only one speaker, mahirap i differentiate.

so you need to audition laidback speakers, warm speakers, neutral speakers and bright speakers.

Offline carlofm001

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2230 on: Dec 12, 2015 at 11:37 PM »
character of its midrange

the only way to differentiate laidback from warm is by actual experience,better if speakers is on a side by side comparison. if you will hear only one speaker, mahirap i differentiate.

so you need to audition laidback speakers, warm speakers, neutral speakers and bright speakers.

Tonight I finally had the chance to take my Denon x2200 and audition both the Polk Audio RTI A9's and the B&W 683 S2's  (in two separate stores since neither store had both present in store for direct side by side). My wife and I personally preferred the B&W's sound over the Polk A9's

I personally found the sound of the B&W to be fuller and better rounded when matched to my Denon x2200w.  So I bought the B&W 683 S2's!

Thanks for your advise guys!
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2015 at 11:44 PM by carlofm001 »

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2231 on: Dec 13, 2015 at 01:18 AM »
Tonight I finally had the chance to take my Denon x2200 and audition both the Polk Audio RTI A9's and the B&W 683 S2's  (in two separate stores since neither store had both present in store for direct side by side). My wife and I personally preferred the B&W's sound over the Polk A9's

I personally found the sound of the B&W to be fuller and better rounded when matched to my Denon x2200w.  So I bought the B&W 683 S2's!

Thanks for your advise guys!

you already have a trained ear bossing...you have chosen the right one! 89db, so fairly easy to drive pa din just like the a9. it can also produce 110db of accoustic energy given 128watts of power. but on a hindsight, sensitivity is not the first priority in choosing a speaker, its the dynamic range. you have gotten a speaker with a very good dynamic range...
WCH CM U?

Offline carlofm001

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2232 on: Dec 14, 2015 at 12:46 AM »

you already have a trained ear bossing...you have chosen the right one! 89db, so fairly easy to drive pa din just like the a9. it can also produce 110db of accoustic energy given 128watts of power. but on a hindsight, sensitivity is not the first priority in choosing a speaker, its the dynamic range. you have gotten a speaker with a very good dynamic range...

Thank you sir Dodie  I do have so much more to learn. I'm m so new to this, I don't know much about the "right" settings for the hz of the speakers and subs.. Trying real hard to experiment and play it by ear.  But i there a "correct/right" setting on my Denon for the specific B&W speakers I bought?

Offline Dash Yuuki

• Apprentice
  • Audio newbie
  • Liked:
« Reply #2233 on: Dec 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM »
Mga sir OK po ba bumili sa Lazada? Planning to buy a Denon X520BT unit, using my existing Dai-Ichi satellite speakers.

Offline zram18

• DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2234 on: Dec 14, 2015 at 11:43 AM »
for me,im not comfortable buying online like lazada. before buying audio gears, i make sure to have thorough inspection of the unit first.

as to the price naman, mas mura pa rin (though minimal) sa mga audio shops kung cash price mo bibilhin even with the added transpo.

yung mga kakilala ko presently situated abroad madalas bumili ng audio gears to be delivered to their house due to distance and lack of time. pero kung nasa Metro Manila ka naman and have the time, better puntahan mismo yung audio shop.

Offline Dash Yuuki

• Apprentice
  • Audio newbie
  • Liked:
« Reply #2235 on: Dec 14, 2015 at 01:12 PM »
for me,im not comfortable buying online like lazada. before buying audio gears, i make sure to have thorough inspection of the unit first.

as to the price naman, mas mura pa rin (though minimal) sa mga audio shops kung cash price mo bibilhin even with the added transpo.

yung mga kakilala ko presently situated abroad madalas bumili ng audio gears to be delivered to their house due to distance and lack of time. pero kung nasa Metro Manila ka naman and have the time, better puntahan mismo yung audio shop.

Point taken sir, mas OK nga naman yung masusubukan muna yung unit before buying it, OK ba yung dalhin ko yung set ng speakers ko sa shop para matest dun sa unit na bibilhin ko?

Offline zram18

• DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2236 on: Dec 14, 2015 at 01:21 PM »
thats the ideal situation sir. pero since mabigat and hassle magdala ng speakers, better ask the audio shop thru telephone if they are selling the same speakers like yours.

no need to bring kung meron din sila tinda dun na ganong speakers.

Offline Dash Yuuki

• Apprentice
  • Audio newbie
  • Liked:
« Reply #2237 on: Dec 14, 2015 at 02:36 PM »
Hindi naman siguro hassle para sa akin, since they are pair of Dai-Ichi SA-3 80watts 6 ohms satellite speakers.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2238 on: Dec 23, 2015 at 03:48 PM »
guys question. i was playing around the decoder indicator of my x520bt by playing various test files from this site:

http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

my unit says can play dolby trueHD but the dolby indicator doesn't show up. the setting is "direct" all other formats were ok. im using minix neo x7, mx player app, pass through enabled.

perhaps someone here can help. tnx!

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2239 on: Dec 31, 2015 at 12:31 PM »
guys question. i was playing around the decoder indicator of my x520bt by playing various test files from this site:

http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

my unit says can play dolby trueHD but the dolby indicator doesn't show up. the setting is "direct" all other formats were ok. im using minix neo x7, mx player app, pass through enabled.
t
perhaps someone here can help. tnx!

Output from your source should be "bitstream out" in order for the receiver to do the decoding for you. If it says "direct", it's either playing stereo sound or multi-channel audio being decoded by the source instead of the receiver.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2240 on: Dec 31, 2015 at 01:53 PM »
Source is set to passthrough and avr set direct. Mx player and xbmc say trueHD yet cant see the avr's indicator that it's trueHD

Offline Erwin-G7

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2241 on: Dec 31, 2015 at 03:04 PM »
Maganda kaya combination ng Denon x3200 with Bowers wilkins 683 s2 / htm61 s2 speakers. Salamat n happy new year to all.

Offline elco

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #2242 on: Jan 02, 2016 at 04:10 AM »
Subscribing to this topic. I also have a Denon receiver, just not the current model. :)

Offline aligonzales

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2243 on: Jan 05, 2016 at 05:09 PM »
Source is set to passthrough and avr set direct. Mx player and xbmc say trueHD yet cant see the avr's indicator that it's trueHD

Sir, sometimes there is an option to output "bitstream" data from your source aside from the "passthrough" option. Baka the source is doing the decoding instead of the receiver. I had a similar problem sa PS4 sir. Hinanap ko lang option to output in bitstream.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2244 on: Jan 05, 2016 at 05:17 PM »
im not sure if i figured it out - it displays dts or dolby pero doesn't indicate the type of dts/dolby :( the generic indicator lights up.

Offline aligonzales

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2245 on: Jan 05, 2016 at 05:52 PM »
im not sure if i figured it out - it displays dts or dolby pero doesn't indicate the type of dts/dolby :( the generic indicator lights up.

Sounds like a similar issue I had naman with my Sony BDP S5500 player. When I play BD's with Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA tracks its still being decoded as just DD and DTS respectively by my receiver. I just toggled the "BD Audio MIX Setting" to "OFF" (from audio settings of my BD player), now it plays all audio tracks properly.

[On]: Outputs the audio obtained by mixing the interactive and secondary audio to the primary audio.
[Off]: Outputs the primary audio only. Select this to output HD audio signals to an AV amplifier (receiver).
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016 at 05:53 PM by aligonzales »

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2246 on: Jan 05, 2016 at 05:56 PM »
baka nga sa source ko - minix neo x7 (kodi and mx player) pero naka pass through naman...

also when playing PCM 5.1 L/R channels lang... di nag lit up kung anu man indicator dapat...

will test another source pag may nahiraman ako... thanks...

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2247 on: Jan 10, 2016 at 10:48 AM »
hi, my old denon 2808 is shutting off and goes into protect mode (blinking power button) when I change source or play/pause. Once it starts playing well, it will work properly until I play the next video.

I already tried rewiring and resetting the device. Also tried diff speakers and i think even headphones.

some youtube vids say its usually cause by a broken capacitor.

Know any reputable repair shops other than the official denon service center? 

Offline elco

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #2248 on: Jan 11, 2016 at 04:39 PM »
hi, my old denon 2808 is shutting off and goes into protect mode (blinking power button) when I change source or play/pause. Once it starts playing well, it will work properly until I play the next video.

I already tried rewiring and resetting the device. Also tried diff speakers and i think even headphones.

some youtube vids say its usually cause by a broken capacitor.

Know any reputable repair shops other than the official denon service center? 
Just curious, does this happen when there are no speakers connected?

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2249 on: Jan 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM »
Just curious, does this happen when there are no speakers connected?

I need to check again. If I remember it correctly, ive tested it using headphones only and still happen.