Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346115 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #840 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 07:18 AM »
hi streetsmart & lancito,

i tested 6 locations with the mic on a tripod. everything was followed from the manual. in fact i put the mic/tripod on the front part of the sofa so it will be away from the backrest.

what settings did u guys changed on the sub after the auto-test? 0db to me is still too low. my sub volume setting is at 12 o'clock and the crossover set to max as the AVR's sub crossover is set at 80hz. ok lang ba to? is it better to use the crossover of the 2308 rather than the DTX4.15's crossover? i haven't tried to increase the AVR x-over setting and control from the sub though. masubukan nga.

Two last points on the mic:
1) Make sure that the mic is at least 2 inches higher than the backrest of your sofa.
2) Don't select a mic position which is close to a wall.

If you can disable the crossover of the sub, do so. Otherwise, set the low-pass filter to the highest - 120 hz. Do the same with the AVR - low-pass filter to 120 hz.

Aside from increasing the gain of the sub, you can also use the LFE+Main option of the Denon, wherein the sub outputs not only the LFE channel but also the bass frequencies of the other channels. That should increase the overall bass volume, if that is what you wish.

By the way, it is pretty useless for us to compare settings on the sub because we have different subs and AVR's and rooms. Actually, Denon sets my sub volume to -12.0 and that is perfect for my system.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #841 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 12:39 AM »
Two last points on the mic:
1) Make sure that the mic is at least 2 inches higher than the backrest of your sofa.
2) Don't select a mic position which is close to a wall.

If you can disable the crossover of the sub, do so. Otherwise, set the low-pass filter to the highest - 120 hz. Do the same with the AVR - low-pass filter to 120 hz.

Aside from increasing the gain of the sub, you can also use the LFE+Main option of the Denon, wherein the sub outputs not only the LFE channel but also the bass frequencies of the other channels. That should increase the overall bass volume, if that is what you wish.

By the way, it is pretty useless for us to compare settings on the sub because we have different subs and AVR's and rooms. Actually, Denon sets my sub volume to -12.0 and that is perfect for my system.

1. the tip of the mic is more than 2 inches above than the sofa's backrest.
2.. the test positions were all far from the walls.

i can disable the sub's x-over by setting it at max. audyssey set the denon's x-over at 80hz and now the one controlling overall as sub's x-over is in defeat mode.

what dvd material are best to try out LFE's?

siguro its time to get a velo sub na ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #842 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 10:00 AM »
1. the tip of the mic is more than 2 inches above than the sofa's backrest.
2.. the test positions were all far from the walls.

i can disable the sub's x-over by setting it at max. audyssey set the denon's x-over at 80hz and now the one controlling overall as sub's x-over is in defeat mode.

what dvd material are best to try out LFE's?

siguro its time to get a velo sub na ;D

You seem to be doing everything right. I can't really understand why your bass volume is so low. Just increase the gain of the sub after the Audyssey set-up. That should be ok.

I find that the best DVD material for bass is a concert with a lot of bass guitar. If you can distinctly hear the individual notes of the bass guitar and the sound is tight, you've got good bass. My reference concert is Cream at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005.

A velo sub is very good. I would highly recommend it.

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #843 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 10:21 PM »
Can't find my mic and manual :(  Wanted to do an auto set up.
The maid kept it and I can't find it...oh well I'll just hvae to do it tomorrow or over the weekend.

Question lang...ilang wattage consumption ng Denon 1907 when operating?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #844 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 09:29 AM »
Can't find my mic and manual :(  Wanted to do an auto set up.
The maid kept it and I can't find it...oh well I'll just hvae to do it tomorrow or over the weekend.

Question lang...ilang wattage consumption ng Denon 1907 when operating?
\

Normally, you should be able to download the manual from the Denon website.

You should be able to get the wattage from the rear of the amp, beside the power socket.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #845 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 08:00 PM »
thanks streetsmart. another question sir, what's the usual speaker setting sa center? dapat ba small din like the fronts? kasi small kasi ang calculated setting ng audyssey sa center channel ko. ang rear ba small din?

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #846 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 09:21 AM »
thanks streetsmart. another question sir, what's the usual speaker setting sa center? dapat ba small din like the fronts? kasi small kasi ang calculated setting ng audyssey sa center channel ko. ang rear ba small din?

The speaker settings determined by Audyssey depend on the type of speaker. However, even if Audyssey says a speaker is "large," you have the option to set it to "small" so that the sub handles all the bass below the crossover. Just choose what sounds best for you.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #847 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 09:19 PM »
I got a Denon 1907 today ;D Power amp nalang :D ;D

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #848 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
what brand of power amp best match for denon 1907?

do denon 1907 + power amp set-up need high end speakers? what brand and minimum watts of speakers need for this set-up?

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #849 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 11:40 PM »
what brand of power amp best match for denon 1907?

do denon 1907 + power amp set-up need high end speakers? what brand and minimum watts of speakers need for this set-up?

The Bada 5ch power amp comes to mind ;)

Gurus,
Is it possible to bridge the 6ch of a Rotel 1066 power amp, so 3 strong channels can power the 2 front & center speakers & use the Denon's rear channels to power the surround?

Offline atong_ang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #850 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 12:10 AM »
Macdon,
Idol ka talaga, halos every week meron ka bago. hehe congrats

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #851 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 12:18 AM »
Macdon,
Idol ka talaga, halos every week meron ka bago. hehe congrats

Small time lang ako chief - mga maliliit lang binibile ko........yung sa iyo ang hi-end eh ;D
Mag 805 kana kasi eh ;)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #852 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 07:22 AM »
The speaker settings determined by Audyssey depend on the type of speaker. However, even if Audyssey says a speaker is "large," you have the option to set it to "small" so that the sub handles all the bass below the crossover. Just choose what sounds best for you.

Clarification. The determination of whether speakers are "large" or "small" depends on the AVR, not Audyssey. In any case, you can change the settings from "large" to "small." It's not advisable to change from "small" to "large."

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #853 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 07:34 AM »
Did my Audyssey set up for my 1907. I'd say better ang tunog now that the first time I hooked it up. Mas ok na manood ng mga DVDs. Next step is to do some unconventional sound proofing of the room :):):)
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #854 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 07:55 AM »
Did my Audyssey set up for my 1907. I'd say better ang tunog now that the first time I hooked it up. Mas ok na manood ng mga DVDs. Next step is to do some unconventional sound proofing of the room :):):)

If you do soundproofing or make any significant change in your furniture (even lay-out), you need to run Audyssey again.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #855 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 08:01 AM »
May Audyssey 1907? ???
I was in a hurry last night - didnt get to check its features properly :P

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #856 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM »
streetsmart,

Kahit na additiona of heavy curtains and pillows lang naman. Siguro rug in the future :)
Yan kasi ang suggestion ng isa sa mga suking tindahan natin.
To help the acoustic properties of a room -- lalu na kung concrete wall is to have items na ok amg ansorb ng sound (or keep the sound inside the room???).

With those small unconventional sound proofing steps -- if you can call it that -- kelangan ko uli i-runa ng Audyssey?
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #857 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 07:46 AM »
streetsmart,

Kahit na additiona of heavy curtains and pillows lang naman. Siguro rug in the future :)
Yan kasi ang suggestion ng isa sa mga suking tindahan natin.
To help the acoustic properties of a room -- lalu na kung concrete wall is to have items na ok amg ansorb ng sound (or keep the sound inside the room???).

With those small unconventional sound proofing steps -- if you can call it that -- kelangan ko uli i-runa ng Audyssey?

Most definitely yes!

Audyssey is very sensitive. For example, even the tripod itself is important. You should avoid using a big tripod because the tripod itself tends to cause reflections in the high frequencies which then distorts the inputs to Audyssey (and subsequently the results).

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #858 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 07:51 AM »
I see, I see.

Kumpletuhin ko muna mga unconventional sound proofing "stuff" before I run it again.
Para isang pasada na lang.

Thanks.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #859 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 08:04 AM »
I see, I see.

Kumpletuhin ko muna mga unconventional sound proofing "stuff" before I run it again.
Para isang pasada na lang.

Thanks.

Don't worry about making many "pasadas." That's part of the fun. Hobby nga kasi. I have done maybe 20 or 30! It only takes about 20 minutes.

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #860 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 03:47 PM »

sir, pardon me but I think the calibration system for Denon 1907 is not an Audyssey but a regular Denon autosetup/calibration. I think only mid-level Denons beginning with 2807 has Audyssey calibration.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3254.asp

Audyssey question:
Will Audyssey EQ settings work when using the 7.1 analog input of the receiver or other analog inputs?
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008 at 03:48 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #861 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 03:56 PM »
sir, pardon me but I think the calibration system for Denon 1907 is not an Audyssey but a regular Denon autosetup/calibration. I think only mid-level Denons beginning with 2807 has Audyssey calibration.

Ohh ... 

Audyssey question:
Will Audyssey EQ settings work when using the 7.1 analog input of the receiver or other analog inputs?

Audyssey doesn't work when using the 7.1 analog inputs.

If you send hi-def audio to your Denon AVR through the 7.1 analog inputs, you won't have the Audyssey processing, other than speaker distances and levels ... and that's a very big weakness.

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: Feb 22, 2008 at 04:12 PM »
thanks streetsmart!

As an additional answer to my own question, 2 channel analog inputs do work with Audyssey. Link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421
I was about to make a plunge on Denon 2308 but was saddened by the fact that with this receiver, Audyssey is disengaged for HD movies.  :(
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008 at 04:14 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #863 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 08:48 AM »
thanks streetsmart!

As an additional answer to my own question, 2 channel analog inputs do work with Audyssey. Link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421
I was about to make a plunge on Denon 2308 but was saddened by the fact that with this receiver, Audyssey is disengaged for HD movies.  :(

Yes. With a Denon 2308, you can use the LPCM hi-def audio through HDMI. But kung walang LPCM ang disc, then you have to use the 7.1 analog inputs, which means wala Audyssey processing.

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 03:30 AM »
guys,

comment naman regarding durability of denon receivers. pati na din kung saan service center dito sa pinas at kung readily available parts. im saving for a mid level denon. thanks.

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #865 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 05:22 PM »
Have an entry level Denon.

Very pleased with it. Going on two years. No need for any kind of servicing yet.......
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #866 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 12:20 AM »
Clarification. The determination of whether speakers are "large" or "small" depends on the AVR, not Audyssey. In any case, you can change the settings from "large" to "small." It's not advisable to change from "small" to "large."

:o Ganun ba yun Sir Mark?
When you suggest to do the Audyssey calibration of my AVR nakita ko naka set sa "Large" ang fronts ko.
Are you referring to the fronts ba or to all 7 speakers including SW. Sorry, I can't check now since I'm still away from home. ;D
I didn't change it after the calibration na coz for me nag improve naman from previous setting.

7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #867 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 01:09 AM »
:o Ganun ba yun Sir Mark?
When you suggest to do the Audyssey calibration of my AVR nakita ko naka set sa "Large" ang fronts ko.
Are you referring to the fronts ba or to all 7 speakers including SW. Sorry, I can't check now since I'm still away from home. ;D
I didn't change it after the calibration na coz for me nag improve naman from previous setting.

same here, my wharfedale evo30 was set to LARGE by audyssey.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #868 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 05:54 AM »
just override the setting........ ;)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #869 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 08:45 AM »
Based on the readings done by Audyssey, the AVR determines if each of your speakers is "full-range," i.e., able to produce a signal from 20 hz to 20 khz. These speakers are set to "Large" by the AVR. This means that the AVR assumes that the speakers can reproduce all of the bass signals sent to them.

However, the reality is often that the speakers are not actually able to produce deep bass, say from 20 hz to 50 hz. If that is the case and some deep bass is sent to the speakers, nawawala yun. That deep bass is simply not reproduced.

The solution is to set the speakers to "Small" and then set a crossover that is appropriate for that speaker (usually 80 hz but it can go to 60 hz if your speakers are really capable). That means that all the bass signals below the crossover are sent to the subwoofer instead of the speaker. This is usually the best.