Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346356 times)

Offline trackers888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #870 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 11:47 PM »
Based on the readings done by Audyssey, the AVR determines if each of your speakers is "full-range," i.e., able to produce a signal from 20 hz to 20 khz. These speakers are set to "Large" by the AVR. This means that the AVR assumes that the speakers can reproduce all of the bass signals sent to them.

However, the reality is often that the speakers are not actually able to produce deep bass, say from 20 hz to 50 hz. If that is the case and some deep bass is sent to the speakers, nawawala yun. That deep bass is simply not reproduced.

The solution is to set the speakers to "Small" and then set a crossover that is appropriate for that speaker (usually 80 hz but it can go to 60 hz if your speakers are really capable). That means that all the bass signals below the crossover are sent to the subwoofer instead of the speaker. This is usually the best.

just override the setting........ ;)

OK mga Sir, I'll check this as soon as I get back ;)
Thanks sa INPUT, as usual   ;D
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #871 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 07:22 AM »
Any tips on how I can turn on/use/activate the AL24 Processing Plus on my 2808?  I don't know how to make it work.

I think I finally have an idea about this. My understanding is as follows:

The AL24 processing on Denon equipment is essentially a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) which is supposed to be pretty sophisticated. However, it works only with PCM tracks. If you feed PCM to the Denon AVR, the "AL24" will automatically light up. That will happen for both stereo and multi-channel (for example, the uncompressed LPCM tracks which are found on a lot of Blu-Ray discs).
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #872 on: Mar 02, 2008 at 01:58 PM »
I think I finally have an idea about this. My understanding is as follows:

The AL24 processing on Denon equipment is essentially a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) which is supposed to be pretty sophisticated. However, it works only with PCM tracks. If you feed PCM to the Denon AVR, the "AL24" will automatically light up. That will happen for both stereo and multi-channel (for example, the uncompressed LPCM tracks which are found on a lot of Blu-Ray discs).

Thanks Streetsmart!  I noticed that too.

Offline sinnerman

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #873 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 01:48 PM »
hello good morning mga bosing tanong lo lang kung saan makakabili ng denon avr1707 at saan ? thanks in adavance

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #874 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 02:38 PM »
hello good morning mga bosing tanong lo lang kung saan makakabili ng denon avr1707 at saan ? thanks in adavance

I'm not sure kung available ang model na yan kay Jeff ng TW. Better PM him.
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=60748.2430
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 at 02:39 PM by trackers888 »
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #875 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 03:00 PM »

i think 1708 na ang available ngayon, or check na lang if TW & S&S still has some stocks of the 1707.  :)

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #876 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 11:00 AM »
mga denon peeps,

i am using a jvc dvd player (yung mga bundled ng crt tv) connected via component to a denon 2308 receiver. the denon is equipped with faroudja chip that can upscale to 720p and 1080p. will it be just a waste of money if i upgrade my dvd to the likes of pioneer dv600 to make use of the HDMI output? the denon will just pass thru the signal if the input is HDMI. i don't like to gamble buying a new player if the video upscaler of the denon is more superior than the pio dv600.

my jvc is old na kasi and won't play those new video formats available today sa web. but the unit still works fine. di nga lang mag match tingnan dahil luma na;D .

will be getting an HDTV soon so i need some inputs from you all.

TIA ;)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #877 on: Mar 06, 2008 at 01:12 PM »
mga denon peeps,

i am using a jvc dvd player (yung mga bundled ng crt tv) connected via component to a denon 2308 receiver. the denon is equipped with faroudja chip that can upscale to 720p and 1080p. will it be just a waste of money if i upgrade my dvd to the likes of pioneer dv600 to make use of the HDMI output? the denon will just pass thru the signal if the input is HDMI. i don't like to gamble buying a new player if the video upscaler of the denon is more superior than the pio dv600.

my jvc is old na kasi and won't play those new video formats available today sa web. but the unit still works fine. di nga lang mag match tingnan dahil luma na;D .

will be getting an HDTV soon so i need some inputs from you all.

TIA ;)

I think double upscaling is not advisable, based on what I read. I think your older DVDp will do fine.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #878 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 02:47 AM »
I think double upscaling is not advisable, based on what I read. I think your older DVDp will do fine.

thanks matz ;)

Offline highwayman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #879 on: Mar 08, 2008 at 03:22 PM »
what if already have the dv600 a panasonic 50" pv70 an the 2808? what would be better? to connect my dv 600 directly via hdmi to the tv or make it pass through the 2808?

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #880 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 09:06 AM »
mga denon peeps,

just a clarification: does this mean that denon 2308 upscales signal from outside device (standard DVD player) from 480i/p to 720p/1080p via component? this is gray to me...

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #881 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 09:57 AM »
just a clarification: does this mean that denon 2308 upscales signal from outside device (standard DVD player) from 480i/p to 720p/1080p via component? this is gray to me...

What he means is his dvd player is connected to the 2308 via component and the 2308 connected to the tv via hdmi.  Therefore, upscaling is possible via hdmi.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #882 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 10:42 AM »

that's right. the denon 2308 will upscale composite, s-video and component input to 720p/1080i & 1080p using the built-in faroudja processor. the only gripe is when you feed the 2308 with HDMI, it will only pass-thru the signal thus only using the upscaler of the dvd.

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #883 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 08:03 PM »
that's right. the denon 2308 will upscale composite, s-video and component input to 720p/1080i & 1080p using the built-in faroudja processor. the only gripe is when you feed the 2308 with HDMI, it will only pass-thru the signal thus only using the upscaler of the dvd.

What he means is his dvd player is connected to the 2308 via component and the 2308 connected to the tv via hdmi.  Therefore, upscaling is possible via hdmi.

ok pala tong 2308.... what's the reason kaya behind on non-upscale hdmi input?

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #884 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 12:54 PM »
guys newbie question. just got the 2808. 2.0 speakers muna. anu ba dapat value ng crossover freq? how do i configure the denon 2808 to use 2 speakers lang muna?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #885 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 01:30 PM »

Gnew, last night I was testing my AVR with upscaler and the best results were achieved when I did not upscale using my DVD player. Double upscaling produced less than favourable results so I fed my receiver 480i only.

what if already have the dv600 a panasonic 50" pv70 an the 2808? what would be better? to connect my dv 600 directly via hdmi to the tv or make it pass through the 2808?

Make it pass through the 2808, the faroudja will improve the pic quality. It did for my Onkyo 705 w/ faroudja.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #886 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 01:45 PM »
guys newbie question. just got the 2808. 2.0 speakers muna. anu ba dapat value ng crossover freq? how do i configure the denon 2808 to use 2 speakers lang muna?

The crossover in the receiver divides audio signals between the main speakers and the subwoofer. Since you don't have a subwoofer, the crossover setting is useless.

What you should do is as follows:

1. Go to the set-up menu and indicate that you are using only 2 speakers.

2. Set these speakers to "Large."

This way, the receiver will know that you have only 2 speakers and will send signals only to these speakers.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #887 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
Gnew, last night I was testing my AVR with upscaler and the best results were achieved when I did not upscale using my DVD player. Double upscaling produced less than favourable results so I fed my receiver 480i only.

Make it pass through the 2808, the faroudja will improve the pic quality. It did for my Onkyo 705 w/ faroudja.

Sir Matz,

parang nabasa ko sa ibang thread na di advisable ang double upscaling? db may upscaling to 1080p ang pioneer dv600? if so paano madedeactivate un kung i connect ko via hdmi ng denon 2808 ung pio dv600 and hdmi out ng 2808 sa tv?

and also i read na may burn-in period ang mga receivers at speakers. how long ba ito? wag muna daw i high volume and receiver at speakers.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 06:29 PM by mjct6210 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #888 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:32 AM »
Sir Matz,

parang nabasa ko sa ibang thread na di advisable ang double upscaling? db may upscaling to 1080p ang pioneer dv600? if so paano madedeactivate un kung i connect ko via hdmi ng denon 2808 ung pio dv600 and hdmi out ng 2808 sa tv?

and also i read na may burn-in period ang mga receivers at speakers. how long ba ito? wag muna daw i high volume and receiver at speakers.

Speaker break in: yes, but receivers, I dont notice any need. 100 hrs is ok for speakers. But I followed this for my Velodyne CHT12r but 100 hrs wasnt enough. I heard it smoothen on my 3rd month of use.

I also read from other internet articles about double upscaling. In my case, it did not work well with my Onkyo 875 till I just fed it 480i. It was ok with my Onkyo 705 though, but the Faroudja upscaling of my Onkyo 705 was a different one compared to the 875. I am unsure if the Denons use the same faroudja chip.

You only need to set the pio 600 to 480i. Try w/c one looks better, 480i or upscaled 720p passing through the Faroudja of your Denon, or just 720p/1080p direct to your monitor

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #889 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 01:35 PM »
Thanks Sir Matz. I try ko nga. So ung sa speakers na 100 hours break-in or burn in period di pwede malakas ang volume? 20db and max ko ngayon (malakas na for movies but for music mejo mahina). does it mean magaantay ako ng 100 hours bago pwede talagang malakas ang volume?

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #890 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 02:01 PM »
Thanks Sir Matz. I try ko nga. So ung sa speakers na 100 hours break-in or burn in period di pwede malakas ang volume? 20db and max ko ngayon (malakas na for movies but for music mejo mahina). does it mean magaantay ako ng 100 hours bago pwede talagang malakas ang volume?

The volume levels between HT and Music are different, check the materials you are playing... IMHO ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #891 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 05:25 PM »

Loudness should be reasonable enough for the cones to move around. If the volume is too low then the cones might not even be moving to be burned in. You usually wait for the 100 hours to hear if the speakers will sound better (mids, highs bass), if you want to crank it to reasonable levels its ok. But if too loud & distorted, damage may occur. Beware of driving weak amplifiers to such levels.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #892 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 07:32 AM »

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #893 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 12:15 PM »
Inventory Sale
Denon 1508 - php23,000 less 20% cash

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #894 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 10:06 AM »
Inventory Sale
Denon 1508 - php23,000 less 20% cash

sayang, good buy ito ah. hdmi 1.3a pa.

bili na!  ;D

Offline Trig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #895 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 02:36 PM »
May nagbebenta po ba ng black na 2308 d2 sa pinas?

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #896 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 09:22 PM »
You might have a really hard time getting the black faced models :-\  i believe the mouth watering black models are available in the US.  I think those black receivers look gorgeous.  You might have luck getting a second hand model from a member who imported theirs ;)
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #897 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 09:58 PM »
 I also prefer black colored gears... ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #898 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 10:50 PM »
Yup, always find Black gorgeous.   ;D   Never really liked silver or gold toned gears.  But they should be black brushed-finished aluminum, not plastic.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2008 at 11:15 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline mjct6210

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #899 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 04:39 AM »
110 v ata mga black e. mga us version ata.