Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346790 times)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #1020 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:02 AM »
Hi Guys!

A little help please... I just got a Denon last Dec. I got the 1509. Like sir Streetsmart said, it takes time before you get the right tweaks and adjustments.

I did the Audessey and it seems like the final settings on the sub is pretty soft, (meaning...not LOUD and BOOMING at all). Also, I can still hear "bass" sounds coming from my fronts...which I want to re-direct to the subs.

Btw, I have a US Audio 512 sub, and it does not sound anything like the way it did when I bought it. Kindly enlighten me please....what do I have to do to achieve all bass frequencies to be re-dorected to the sub? Also, if I want to re-run the Audessy set-up, how do I reset the current saved settings? :)
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009 at 02:14 AM by stickfighter »

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1021 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 01:26 AM »
No matter what kind of music you listen to, it's obviously best to hear the full frequency range. That is best achieved with a combination of your main speakers + the sub (which you achieve by designating your speakers as "Small"). The split of the frequencies is determined by the crossover frequency that you set. This applies even more so to movies.

Even if you have full-range speakers, they cannot really reproduce very deep and accurate bass. Furthermore, if you let the sub handle the low frequencies, you will have more headroom for your main speakers and they will sound better. Hindi mahihirapan ang speaker and amp.

My main speakers are pretty big and can go down to below 40 hz but the system sounds much better if I set the speakers as "Small" and let the sub handle the lower frequencies. Currently, my crossover is at 100 hz (!) and the sound is pretty good.  :)

I totally agree po, turning off the sub defeats the purpose of setting the speakers to small and selecting LFE. thanks streetmart :)

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1022 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 01:35 AM »
The sub doesn't really have a crossover, even if the Denon menu says it has one. It has a Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the LFE channel. Always set that to 120 hz.

Take note that the bass from the LFE channel is totally different from the redirected bass coming from the other speakers. Just make sure that all speakers are set to "Small". An 80 hz crossover is a good starting point. Depending on the sub, you could go even a little higher.

ano po difference ng low-pass crossover and high-pass crossover in terms of its purpose? velodyne cht has both, selection for low-pass crossover ranges from 40hz - 120hz while high-pass crossover has 80hz and 100hz selection. what's the best high-pass and low-pass crossover for AVR speaker set-up to small and sub setting to LFE?

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1023 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 07:16 AM »
ano po difference ng low-pass crossover and high-pass crossover in terms of its purpose? velodyne cht has both, selection for low-pass crossover ranges from 40hz - 120hz while high-pass crossover has 80hz and 100hz selection. what's the best high-pass and low-pass crossover for AVR speaker set-up to small and sub setting to LFE?

By definition, a low-pass filter (not crossover) allows frequencies lower than the designated point to pass through. A high-pass filter is the opposite - higher frequencies pass through.

What I referred to in my previous post was the setting in the AVR, which is a low-pass filter (LPF) for the LFE channel. The settings at the sub itself are different.

The LPF in your sub will determine the maximum frequency that the sub will reproduce. Normally, this is set to the highest level and then the actual frequencies which are sent to the sub are determined by the settings in the bass management system of your AVR (basically crossover points and LPF for LFE). In your case, set it to 120 hz.

The high-pass filter that you mention sounds like an output. It sounds like the type of connection wherein you send the full signal to the sub and then hook the sub to the main speakers. Between the sub and the main speakers, the high-pass filter will be activated so you can send frequencies above either 80 hz or 100 hz. This type of connection is not used very much anymore. It's better to let the AVR handle the bass management.

Quite often, the sub has a third filter which is called a subsonic filter and is actually a high-pass filter. It will determine the lowest frequencies that the sub will reproduce. A typical subsonic filter is 35 hz or 20 hz. It basically limits the bass you can reproduce.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 07:20 AM »
Hi Guys!

A little help please... I just got a Denon last Dec. I got the 1509. Like sir Streetsmart said, it takes time before you get the right tweaks and adjustments.

I did the Audessey and it seems like the final settings on the sub is pretty soft, (meaning...not LOUD and BOOMING at all). Also, I can still hear "bass" sounds coming from my fronts...which I want to re-direct to the subs.

Btw, I have a US Audio 512 sub, and it does not sound anything like the way it did when I bought it. Kindly enlighten me please....what do I have to do to achieve all bass frequencies to be re-dorected to the sub? Also, if I want to re-run the Audessy set-up, how do I reset the current saved settings? :)

After running Audyssey, set all of your speakers to "Small."

Then, go to the Manual Adjustments and the Crossover sub-menu. You will have to experiment with the crossover settings (set them at either what is recommended by the AVR or higher).

In that same Crossover menu, you will find the setting for the sub. Set it to 120 hz. That is actually the LPF for the LFE channel and it should always be set at 120 hz.

Tell us how it sounds after you do this.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1025 on: Jan 20, 2009 at 09:18 PM »
After running Audyssey, set all of your speakers to "Small."

Then, go to the Manual Adjustments and the Crossover sub-menu. You will have to experiment with the crossover settings (set them at either what is recommended by the AVR or higher).

In that same Crossover menu, you will find the setting for the sub. Set it to 120 hz. That is actually the LPF for the LFE channel and it should always be set at 120 hz.

Tell us how it sounds after you do this.

Thanks for the info sir Mark! ;) I followed what you said and changed all the speakers to "small." And then I set the crossover of the sub to 120 Hz. Now, my question is:

How many Hz to I set for the rest of my speakers? :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 08:17 AM »
Thanks for the info sir Mark! ;) I followed what you said and changed all the speakers to "small." And then I set the crossover of the sub to 120 Hz. Now, my question is:

How many Hz to I set for the rest of my speakers? :)

When you go to the Crossover menu in the Manual Settings, you will find that Denon has made a recommendation on the crossover point. What frequency was recommended? Normally, it's best to either accept that recommendation or raise it to the next higher frequency.

By the way, can the 1509 give a separate crossover for each speaker (Advanced option in the Crossover menu)?

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1027 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 08:19 AM »
How much is the fair market value of the Denon 1907?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1028 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 09:54 AM »
When you go to the Crossover menu in the Manual Settings, you will find that Denon has made a recommendation on the crossover point. What frequency was recommended? Normally, it's best to either accept that recommendation or raise it to the next higher frequency.

By the way, can the 1509 give a separate crossover for each speaker (Advanced option in the Crossover menu)?

Yes it can sir Mark! :) In the "Advanced" option, you can choose the crossover for each speaker...so what do I do? ???

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1029 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM »
Yes it can sir Mark! :) In the "Advanced" option, you can choose the crossover for each speaker...so what do I do? ???

When you open that menu, it will have recommended crossovers for each speaker. What are the recommendations per speaker? You may accept those recommendations or you can raise each of them to the next higher frequency. You need to experiment.

Offline red_one

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1030 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM »
what's the cheapest Denon receiver with HMDI ports available? how much kaya?  :)

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 03:03 PM »
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #1032 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 03:08 PM »
Aren't the new  15's and 17's HDMI ready? Thought they were :-\
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1033 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 03:12 PM »
I forgot if the one I saw sa Stop, Look and Lsiten is 1909 or 1709. But it has 2 HDMI input and 1 output.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 03:27 PM »
I forgot if the one I saw sa Stop, Look and Lsiten is 1909 or 1709. But it has 2 HDMI input and 1 output.

Baka 1709 yun. The 1909 has 3 inputs and 1 output.
SARS!!!

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1035 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 03:32 PM »
^Baka nga. It was selling for around 20K...I guess that will also be a good indicator what model  ;D
I am assuming that the 1909 will be more expensive than the 1709.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1036 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 03:36 PM »
^Baka nga. It was selling for around 20K...I guess that will also be a good indicator what model  ;D
I am assuming that the 1909 will be more expensive than the 1709.

Yup, the 1909 sells for around 30-32k
SARS!!!

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 09:09 PM »
When you open that menu, it will have recommended crossovers for each speaker. What are the recommendations per speaker? You may accept those recommendations or you can raise each of them to the next higher frequency. You need to experiment.

Ok sir Mark! I will try experimenting on them. Thanks for your help! ;D

Offline titopepe

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1038 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 09:58 PM »
whats the difference between 1709 and 1909?
aside from hdmi input?
call me tito... tito pepe!

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1039 on: Jan 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM »
whats the difference between 1709 and 1909?
aside from hdmi input?

the 1909 can decode dolby truehd and dts hd. the 1709 can't. :)

Offline titopepe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1040 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 01:24 AM »
the 1909 can decode dolby truehd and dts hd. the 1709 can't. :)

recommended ba 1909 for me?
pioneer dv 610 and NMT lang balak ko kasi e... then ps3...
medyo na nosebleed kasi ako sa overall price ng mga gusto ko na gears e.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 01:33 AM »
recommended ba 1909 for me?
pioneer dv 610 and NMT lang balak ko kasi e... then ps3...
medyo na nosebleed kasi ako sa overall price ng mga gusto ko na gears e.

It depends on whether lossless codecs are important to you.

Yung PS3, internally dinedecode yung mga lossless, so all you need is for your AVR to accept PCM over HDMI. You don't need the AVR to do the decoding.

Offline titopepe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1042 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 01:48 AM »
hehe nosebleed papi.
laymans term pls?

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1043 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 02:02 AM »
hehe nosebleed papi.
laymans term pls?

Haha sorry pero yun na yung pinaka-simple na alam ko.

Maybe someone else can explain better. Antayin nalang natin. ;D

Offline titopepe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1044 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 02:11 AM »
meron din ba built-in eq and xover ang 1909?

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:11 AM »
meron din ba built-in eq and xover ang 1909?

it has crossover na. not sure about the equalizer. i think this is a good receiver for you. you can come over my shop and compare it to hk receivers and see which you like better. :)

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1046 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:04 PM »
Is it worth it to upgrade to an HDMI AVR or better wait towards the middle or end of the year?
I currently have a component capable AVR (denon 1907) that also upscales to 720p.

It's just that I have 3 HDMI gears (PS3, DV600 and WD TV) and my display only can accommodate 2 :(
I was just thinking with the 1709 (with 2 HDMI input) I can connect the PS3 and WD TV/DV600 and have the other 1 connected to the display.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1047 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:18 PM »
It's just that I have 3 HDMI gears (PS3, DV600 and WD TV) and my display only can accommodate 2 :(
I was just thinking with the 1709 (with 2 HDMI input) I can connect the PS3 and WD TV/DV600 and have the other 1 connected to the display.

We have the same problem since I have 4 gears that i wanted to connect to my Denon 3806 (DV490, PS3, HDDVD A30, WD TV). Im hoping that it will be resolved once the HDMI input/switchers I ordered from Toy 01 will arrive. ;D ;D

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:22 PM »
^Hahaha...ako din nag order na lang ng HDMI switcher. Tapos if there is an option for a digital out (toslink or digital coax) sa gear going to the receiver yun ang ginagamit ko. Kesa from display to AVR.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:48 PM »
Is it worth it to upgrade to an HDMI AVR or better wait towards the middle or end of the year?
I currently have a component capable AVR (denon 1907) that also upscales to 720p.

if you're happy with the sound of your avr then just get the hdmi switcher.  but the new 1909 and hk 255 are pretty good. :)