Author Topic: Denon A/V Receivers  (Read 346416 times)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Denon A/V Receivers
« Reply #1050 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:57 PM »
meron din ba built-in eq and xover ang 1909?

I think the "pogi points" of the 1909 would by the Audyssey DynamicEQ and Dynamic Volume, which enhances the sound quality when you listen below reference volumes.

Sa ibang AVR kasi when you are not approaching reference volume, the sound is not that articulate, bass is extremely toned down, etc.

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1051 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 02:09 PM »
Just wanted to post a short review.

I just bought my first ever HT set-up from avshop last saturday.  Got everything from him to simplify the purchase (thanks for the great deal).  I pruchased the ff gears:

Denon 1909
Wharfe 9.5
Wharfe 9cs
Wharfe DFS
Polk Audio PSW 125

Its primarily for HT, as I'm not much of a music lover.

As a newbie, the reason I got the Denon over other receivers (HK, Yamaha) was primarily because of Audyssey.  I wanted to simplify my life in terms of setting up.  I didnt think I'd have the patience to keep on tinkering with the receiver if I had to set-up all the speaker delay, crossover, etc settings myself.  I just wanted a box to plug in and enjoy right away.  The manual of the Denon wasn't the nightmare as most of the online reviews mentioned. Most guys can go over and understand it easily.

Setting up via Audyssey was a breeze, took about 20 mins to perform the 6 location test.  To my untrained ears, it sounded very good.  I guess Audyssey really works well as advertised.

The unexpected bonus for me was really the Audyssey Dynamic Volume.  I can't really watch full blast at home, so this feature really helps when watching movies at night.  It has 3 settings -- day, evening, and midnight.  I've used evening and midnight.  The feature helps you hear the dialogue of the movie better without sacrificing the sound effects, especially if you're watching late at night, and without disturbing people asleep.

You can turn off both features if you want to.  But for a newbie like me, the Audyssey features really made it easier for me to enjoy my HT set-up quite quickly.  The Denon 1909 is a good buy.

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1052 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 03:16 PM »

I just bought my first ever HT set-up from avshop last saturday.  Got everything from him to simplify the purchase (thanks for the great deal).  I pruchased the ff gears:

Denon 1909
Wharfe 9.5
Wharfe 9cs
Wharfe DFS
Polk Audio PSW 125

As a newbie, the reason I got the Denon over other receivers (HK, Yamaha) was primarily because of Audyssey.  I wanted to simplify my life in terms of setting up.  I didnt think I'd have the patience to keep on tinkering with the receiver if I had to set-up all the speaker delay, crossover, etc settings myself.  I just wanted a box to plug in and enjoy right away.  The manual of the Denon wasn't the nightmare as most of the online reviews mentioned. Most guys can go over and understand it easily.

Setting up via Audyssey was a breeze, took about 20 mins to perform the 6 location test.  To my untrained ears, it sounded very good.  I guess Audyssey really works well as advertised.

The unexpected bonus for me was really the Audyssey Dynamic Volume.  I can't really watch full blast at home, so this feature really helps when watching movies at night.  It has 3 settings -- day, evening, and midnight.  I've used evening and midnight.  The feature helps you hear the dialogue of the movie better without sacrificing the sound effects, especially if you're watching late at night, and without disturbing people asleep.

You can turn off both features if you want to.  But for a newbie like me, the Audyssey features really made it easier for me to enjoy my HT set-up quite quickly.  The Denon 1909 is a good buy.

glad you're enjoying your gears. that' really the main advantage of having dynamic volume feature. with low level volume you still get to hear the dialogue. :)

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1053 on: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:34 PM »

Denon 1909
Wharfe 9.5
Wharfe 9cs
Wharfe DFS
Polk Audio PSW 125

Congrats on your First ever HT Set-up. After the break-in and a few more tweaks, it's going to sound even better. ;)
SARS!!!

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #1054 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 08:57 AM »
Nice initial review Bartman,

Enjoy your gear ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1055 on: Jan 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM »
nice review sir! enjoy the new new HT! :)

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1056 on: Jan 24, 2009 at 05:13 PM »
ser streetmart thank you po for the info. by the way po, low-pass crossover po yung naka indicate sa likod ng velodyne.

By definition, a low-pass filter (not crossover) allows frequencies lower than the designated point to pass through. A high-pass filter is the opposite - higher frequencies pass through.

What I referred to in my previous post was the setting in the AVR, which is a low-pass filter (LPF) for the LFE channel. The settings at the sub itself are different.

The LPF in your sub will determine the maximum frequency that the sub will reproduce. Normally, this is set to the highest level and then the actual frequencies which are sent to the sub are determined by the settings in the bass management system of your AVR (basically crossover points and LPF for LFE). In your case, set it to 120 hz.

The high-pass filter that you mention sounds like an output. It sounds like the type of connection wherein you send the full signal to the sub and then hook the sub to the main speakers. Between the sub and the main speakers, the high-pass filter will be activated so you can send frequencies above either 80 hz or 100 hz. This type of connection is not used very much anymore. It's better to let the AVR handle the bass management.

Quite often, the sub has a third filter which is called a subsonic filter and is actually a high-pass filter. It will determine the lowest frequencies that the sub will reproduce. A typical subsonic filter is 35 hz or 20 hz. It basically limits the bass you can reproduce.

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #1057 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 09:25 PM »
planning to get the 1909. can anyone comment on the faroudja dcdi cinema upscaling capability (also found in onkyo, HK, and etc.)? been reading forums and people say it only does a so so job or just plain worthless. ...not like the HQV realta or the cheaper reon :-\

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1058 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 03:22 PM »
in a denon 1909 receiver..if your setup is only 5.1..where do you connect the rear speakers?the surround or surround back terminals?

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1059 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 04:05 PM »
in a denon 1909 receiver..if your setup is only 5.1..where do you connect the rear speakers?the surround or surround back terminals?

connect to the surround terminals. :) you got na a denon 1909?

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #1060 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 04:39 PM »
wala pa..binabasa ko palang sa avs forums..napansin ko kasi me surround and surround back..so ang surround back is for the pair of speakers to make your 5.1 a 7.1 system?

you got text pala :D

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1061 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 05:14 PM »
wala pa..binabasa ko palang sa avs forums..napansin ko kasi me surround and surround back..so ang surround back is for the pair of speakers to make your 5.1 a 7.1 system?

you got text pala :D

yup. it's to make a 7.1 system. didn't get any text. :)

Offline jeyps11_c

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1062 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 05:33 PM »
Anong Denon entry level and meron na HDMI and can decode BD audio (TrueHD ba yun?)? And what is the price range?
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1063 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 05:50 PM »
Anong Denon entry level and meron na HDMI and can decode BD audio (TrueHD ba yun?)? And what is the price range?

the denon 1909 is the cheapest denon model to have hdmi for audio and video and can decode the new HD audio formats. i can give you a good deal on one if you want. :)

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #1064 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 06:33 PM »
sir jeyps HCP right?nabenta mo na old receiver mo?

ewan ko mark nagloloko ata phone ko..naka 4 yata ako na text sayo hehe

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #1065 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 09:07 PM »
can I interface a stereo equalizer in the denon 1909? like for example I would like to use the fronts for stereo? or the zone 2..tia mga sirs

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1066 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:08 PM »
sir jeyps HCP right?nabenta mo na old receiver mo?

Yup HCP nga. I still have my 1907 pero nag hahanap ng kapalit ;D Gusto ko sana with HDMI tapos pwede na decode ng BR audio.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:08 PM by jeyps11_c »
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1067 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:42 PM »
Yup HCP nga. I still have my 1907 pero nag hahanap ng kapalit ;D Gusto ko sana with HDMI tapos pwede na decode ng BR audio.

Naku, may symptoms ka na ng SARS. ;D ;D Sakto lang ang Denon 1909 sa needs mo. ;)
SARS!!!

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1068 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 02:04 PM »
Oo nga eh...tagal ko naiwasan ang SARS kaso chronic na  ;D ;D ;D

Para lang sana lahat ng components (upscaler, PS3 and WDTV) daan lahat ng AVR. Saka take advantage of the TrueHD audio ng BD at mga .mkv files sayang eh.

Magkano ba current price ng 1909?

Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1069 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 03:38 PM »
Oo nga eh...tagal ko naiwasan ang SARS kaso chronic na  ;D ;D ;D

Para lang sana lahat ng components (upscaler, PS3 and WDTV) daan lahat ng AVR. Saka take advantage of the TrueHD audio ng BD at mga .mkv files sayang eh.

Magkano ba current price ng 1909?

Very convenient talaga pag nakakabit lahat ng connection sa isang device. I think it's price is around 30-32k.
SARS!!!

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1070 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 04:03 PM »
 :-[ Sobra sobra sa budget ko. Ipon mode na lang uli.  Sayang may taker na sana yung 1907 ko.
Kaso laki ng additional cash to get the 1909.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline titopepe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1071 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 11:25 PM »
what can you say about denon being made in china?
call me tito... tito pepe!

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1072 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 05:56 AM »
what can you say about denon being made in china?

Almost everything is made in China now a days  ;D The difference...companies like Denon ensure that the quality is still there mainly because their reputation is at stake. They are not start up companies that will sacrifice everything to lower the price. Bottom line, I wouldn't be worried with the overall quality of the product even if it is made in China.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1073 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 08:51 AM »
:-[ Sobra sobra sa budget ko. Ipon mode na lang uli.  Sayang may taker na sana yung 1907 ko.

Benta mo na sir. Para ipon na lang konti. ;)

Almost everything is made in China now a days  ;D The difference...companies like Denon ensure that the quality is still there mainly because their reputation is at stake. They are not start up companies that will sacrifice everything to lower the price. Bottom line, I wouldn't be worried with the overall quality of the product even if it is made in China.

I agree. Even though products are made in China, they still have to meet the quality standards set by the manufacturers.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM by jojitv »
SARS!!!

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1074 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 09:26 AM »

sir,

COD, Denon AVR-1909, 30,500, baka interesado ka :P

Para makuha ko na 1907 mo ;D

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1075 on: Feb 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM »
^Uy nice price yan for the 1909 ah. Kaso COD...ang bigat :( Sbrang gusto ko na mag upgrade kaso wala talaga budget.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1076 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 10:36 AM »
^Uy nice price yan for the 1909 ah. Kaso COD...ang bigat :( Sbrang gusto ko na mag upgrade kaso wala talaga budget.

get na the denon 1909 from me. good deal na offer ko sa yo. :)

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1077 on: Feb 12, 2009 at 10:52 AM »

get na the denon 1909 from me. good deal na offer ko sa yo. :)

May inoffer na good deal na pala eh. ;D Bili na. Hehehe ;D
SARS!!!

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #1078 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM »
can I interface a stereo equalizer in the denon 1909? like for example I would like to use the fronts for stereo? or the zone 2..tia mga sirs

any comments mga sirs?
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM by disturbed »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #1079 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 10:34 AM »
I really want to get the Denon 1909 ;D..Maybe in a couple of months.

Here's the review, ok na ok for me :)

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/processor-and-receiver-reviews/receivers/denon-avr-1909-7.1-a/v-receiver.html