Author Topic: Samsung LCD R71 Sound System help  (Read 3083 times)

Offline JedTanner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • "Live long and prosper"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Samsung LCD R71 Sound System help
« on: Aug 25, 2006 at 12:02 AM »
Hi guys, anybody know how to adjust the Sound System for Cable TV broadcast to Stereo? I am using a Samsung LA32R71B LCD TV but the sound system is Mono. I've been trying to change the Sound System using Manual Store but all I get is the BG/DK/I/M selection and it is set to M. Changing to BG, DK or I causes the reception out of focus. Anyway, has anyone able to set cable tv broadcast to Stereo? Any ideas?

When I try changing it, here's what happens:

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
Re: Samsung LCD R71 Sound System help
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 09:20 AM »
I don't think you can use the BG, DK & I in the philippines the M in the selection may pertain to the M in NTSC/M which I think is the signal that we get for our country (anybody else have any thoughts on this?)......As for the TV being set to mono during cable broadcast this may be down to the strength of the cable reception.....I used to have a crt tv which changes from mono to stereo depending on which channel I'm watching but more often than not it's always on mono because of the cable reception.... ;D....just my thoughts...I tried searching the manual and it didn't give any suggestions.....

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 12:29 PM »
also if the actual channel source is broadcast in mono, there is no way turn that mono signal into stereo...... i think most TV/cable channels still broadcast in mono, so the most you can do is turn on the stereo simulation if your TV has that feature.

Offline JedTanner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 03:59 PM »
I don't think you can use the BG, DK & I in the philippines the M in the selection may pertain to the M in NTSC/M which I think is the signal that we get for our country (anybody else have any thoughts on this?)......As for the TV being set to mono during cable broadcast this may be down to the strength of the cable reception.....I used to have a crt tv which changes from mono to stereo depending on which channel I'm watching but more often than not it's always on mono because of the cable reception.... ;D....just my thoughts...I tried searching the manual and it didn't give any suggestions.....

It's true that many channels are being broadcasted with mono but I do remember seeing some channels being broadcasted in stereo with my previous TV. I just can't remember which and I cannot seem to get stereo even with Auto programming.

I have also checked the manual including through Samsung's site and cannot seem to find anything useful.  Oh well..  ???

Thanks for the information though.. :D

Offline JedTanner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 04:01 PM »
also if the actual channel source is broadcast in mono, there is no way turn that mono signal into stereo...... i think most TV/cable channels still broadcast in mono, so the most you can do is turn on the stereo simulation if your TV has that feature.

Thanks man.. it is being streamed via simulated stereo. I just thought there could be something more or at least for some channels.  :-\

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 04:06 PM »
I guess we'll just have to wait for the day when cable broadcasts in the philippines have 5.1 audio ;D

Offline zetroce

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Ako ay TUBERO!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 04:54 PM »
What i did with my configuration is connect the audio output of the TV to the the aux input of the HTIB - P10. This way, you are doing a simulation of Stereo sound via the HTIB. When i'm watching Cable, i turn down the volume of the TV set, turn on the HTIB and switch it to aux.

The audio is far better than that of the built-in speakers of the TV set. 8)

Offline JedTanner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 05:03 PM »
What i did with my configuration is connect the audio output of the TV to the the aux input of the HTIB - P10. This way, you are doing a simulation of Stereo sound via the HTIB. When i'm watching Cable, i turn down the volume of the TV set, turn on the HTIB and switch it to aux.
The audio is far better than that of the built-in speakers of the TV set. 8)

Hey Sir, what cable did you use, regular rca cables? Any difference using other type of cables? Thanks by the way for the info. ;D

Offline JedTanner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 05:06 PM »
Hey Sir, what cable did you use, regular rca cables? Any difference using other type of cables? Thanks by the way for the info. ;D

Ooppss.. I just realized there is only RCA out hehehe.. :P Thanks Sir Zetroce!

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 07:02 PM »
The Samsung lcd r71's tv tuner is mono only...so even if the cable/tv channel is broadcasting in stereo (ex. all abs-cbn channels (2, 23, myx) broadcast in stereo as well as some cable channels like HBO, star movies, starworld also broadcast in stereo) it will still be mono when viewed using the r71's tv tuner.

Offline JedTanner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2006 at 09:14 PM »
The Samsung lcd r71's tv tuner is mono only...so even if the cable/tv channel is broadcasting in stereo (ex. all abs-cbn channels (2, 23, myx) broadcast in stereo as well as some cable channels like HBO, star movies, starworld also broadcast in stereo) it will still be mono when viewed using the r71's tv tuner.

Hey thanks man! Is there a way to make it stereo without connecting to an AVR or can I change the tuner to stereo?
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2006 at 09:16 PM by JedTanner »

Offline aeris30

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2006 at 07:47 AM »
Hey thanks man! Is there a way to make it stereo without connecting to an AVR or can I change the tuner to stereo?

No you can't change the tuner to stereo. All samsung lcds and the 32 inch slimfit crt tv except their high end models have mono tv tuners. You can use the lcd's "pseudo stereo" feature to simulate stereo or if you have a vhs player with a stereo tv tuner, use it when viewing cable tv...just connect the vhs player in one of the lcd's av input. You can also subscribe to skycable platinum or dream satellite tv who offers separate cable tuners.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2006 at 08:38 AM by aeris30 »

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2006 at 04:17 PM »
actually weak talaga in terms of sound ang r71. I still have my Sony kpfx 43 RPTV and it trumps r71 in terms of sound. night and day ang difference

anybody here have tried outputing the sound of this lcd to an altec lansing speaker or any of those pc speakers with sub?

Offline zetroce

• Collector
  • Ako ay TUBERO!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 11:50 AM »
actually weak talaga in terms of sound ang r71. I still have my Sony kpfx 43 RPTV and it trumps r71 in terms of sound. night and day ang difference

anybody here have tried outputing the sound of this lcd to an altec lansing speaker or any of those pc speakers with sub?

I availed of the HTIB offer of Samsung for the HT-P10. These speakers are small sattelite speakers similar to that of Altec Lansing. The sub is small as well because this is just meant for small bedroom setups. I'm quite satisfied with the results of this configuration and it helps alot in improving the built-in speakers of the R71. I connected it to the AUX port of the DVD /AMP of the HTIB.

Hope this helps. :)

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 04:21 PM »
Hi zetroace, are you using it also for local TV broadcast?

I availed of the HTIB offer of Samsung for the HT-P10. These speakers are small sattelite speakers similar to that of Altec Lansing. The sub is small as well because this is just meant for small bedroom setups. I'm quite satisfied with the results of this configuration and it helps alot in improving the built-in speakers of the R71. I connected it to the AUX port of the DVD /AMP of the HTIB.

Hope this helps. :)

Offline zetroce

• Collector
  • Ako ay TUBERO!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 06:45 PM »
Yes. In a way, you're just simulating the stereo effect even for the local broadcast. :)

Offline JedTanner

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2006 at 09:59 PM »

I have a 2.1 Boston Acoustics PC Speakers with Sub that I have used in the past to connect to my old TV and will be testing this with the LCD in the next few days. The only problem is I have to walk over to the speakers to turn the volume hehehe... We'll see how it sounds..

Offline arches111

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 12:57 PM »
your right! all our tv cable are brodcast at analog so the sound out is still analog... tunog lata sa r71. but dont be depress guys... i've used hdmi on my pio696 dvd & the sounds turns digital. laki nang improvement. mukhang sammys sound are built 4 digital brod. alrready... good thing i have my HT but still i love my sammy PQ :D
Roon
Rega BenCab
KEF/B&W/Paradigm
Chord
Shiit