Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 16615 times)

Offline Ashburndaride

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Does nobody here watch Doctor Who?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 08:38 AM »
Finally watched Planet of the Dead last night, Carmen's premonition to the Doctor at the ending is very creepy and unnerving  ???

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #31 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 02:48 PM »
Were you also able to see the easter special that just came out? I've acquired it but haven't watched yet.

just seen it, not bad but not that great either.  and the creatures are too "pitch blacky" for my taste.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009 at 09:45 PM »
seriously hope this pushes through.  from rottentomatoes;

DOCTOR WHO AND THE CASE OF THE RECURRING MOVIE RUMOR

Ah spring, it's an annual event as reliable as the recurring rumor of plans for a Doctor Who theatrical movie. Since Star Trek proved an old sci-fi show that got started in the 1960s can be turned into a successful movie 40 years later, why not Doctor Who, right? The revived show continues to be a success both in England and here in America on the Sci Fi network, with fans awaiting the arrival of the eleventh incarnation of The Doctor, to be played by Matt Smith starting in 2010. In the meantime, however, the most recent Doctor was played by Andy Tennant, who will be playing The Doctor in two upcoming episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures. In an article about that appearance, a BBC Films representative confirmed that a "script is in development" for the long-awaited Doctor Who movie. There are no details other than that, except that the movie is "a long time away," which means that by the time it's ever made, the star will probably be Matt Smith, or maybe even whoever plays the 12th incarnation.

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009 at 06:04 PM »
^^
seriously hope this pushes through.  from rottentomatoes;

DOCTOR WHO AND THE CASE OF THE RECURRING MOVIE RUMOR

Ah spring, it's an annual event as reliable as the recurring rumor of plans for a Doctor Who theatrical movie. Since Star Trek proved an old sci-fi show that got started in the 1960s can be turned into a successful movie 40 years later, why not Doctor Who, right? The revived show continues to be a success both in England and here in America on the Sci Fi network, with fans awaiting the arrival of the eleventh incarnation of The Doctor, to be played by Matt Smith starting in 2010. In the meantime, however, the most recent Doctor was played by Andy Tennant, who will be playing The Doctor in two upcoming episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures. In an article about that appearance, a BBC Films representative confirmed that a "script is in development" for the long-awaited Doctor Who movie. There are no details other than that, except that the movie is "a long time away," which means that by the time it's ever made, the star will probably be Matt Smith, or maybe even whoever plays the 12th incarnation.

Andy Tennant??!  :D

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009 at 06:20 PM »
^^
onga no.  di ko napansin yun a.

maybe the writer was listening to the petshop boys when he wote that one :D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #35 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 07:57 AM »
Did anybody bother to watch Doctor Who Greatest Moments? Should I even watch it if I've seen season 1-4?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 05, 2009 at 07:48 AM »
New Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars on November 15.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1G8iol85Q

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 21, 2009 at 08:02 AM »
Just finished watching The Waters of Mars TV Special , it's nice for them to show the dark side of the doctor, which leads a crucial decision to the last 2 episodes of the series... Funny, I can't wait for next 2 episodes but I also don't want to see David Tennant and Russel T. Davies last farewell to the Dr. Who series... :(

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 02:18 PM »
Dr. Who is another one of those "touch me and I'll infect you" thrillers, a la 28 Days Later (done better here, I think). That said, the last oh, ten or twenty minutes is a side of the Doctor we've never seen before, and a moral issue he's never dealt with so directly. Plus the sound of mortality has begun its toll. This Doctor's days are numbered.

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 09:52 AM »
The End of Time has given me multiple goosebumps while watching..... Hosyet! TIME LORDS!  :o

1 more episode to go  :-[
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009 at 09:55 AM by Ashburndaride »

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 12:42 AM »
The 11th Doctor is officially IN!

Matt Smith is doing a good job on filling David Tennant's shoes, Oh and Karen Gillan what can I say? SSOOOO HHHOOT! :D

The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks are now out....looking good so far!
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010 at 06:36 AM by Ashburndaride »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
Re: Doesn't anybody here watch Doctor Who?
« Reply #42 on: Apr 25, 2010 at 04:08 PM »
new Dr. Who

Cool! "Blink" is also the episode I use on converting some friends to a rabid Time lord followers which is weird coz Tennant (The Doctor) wasn't even on the lead role on that episode, that only tells that Steven Moffat's script is truly what would the 9th doctor says? Oh BRILLIANT! ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2010 at 04:22 PM by Ashburndaride »

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 10:28 PM »
Upping this thread.

Anyone seen 11? How is he?

Very recent watcher here. Started with 9 (whom I am totally in love with). Still can't get past 10's first six episodes. Everyone I know who's a fan told me to stick with him. He's just...too pretty. Also not happy with his shouting. That Cybermen ep bored the hell out of me. I'm thinking of going straight to S3 already.
Amor Fati

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 06:46 PM »
Upping this thread.

Anyone seen 11? How is he?

Very recent watcher here. Started with 9 (whom I am totally in love with). Still can't get past 10's first six episodes. Everyone I know who's a fan told me to stick with him. He's just...too pretty. Also not happy with his shouting. That Cybermen ep bored the hell out of me. I'm thinking of going straight to S3 already.

11's ok.  it's his adventures im having trouble with. not as mindblowing as 10's imo.  case in point, 11's angels adventure pales with blink, and it was a two parter to boot.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2011 at 11:21 PM »
+1 via sonic screwdriver

I really like 11. I think Eccleston and Tennant can definitely act circles around Matt Smith, who seems to rely more on quirkiness rather than betraying true feelings. Still, the quirks - do - work, and he's very likable, so I feel he is very much suited for the job.

And I think Amy and Rory are excellent companions.

I have a love/hate relationship with David Tennant. I think he's a great actor and when he does show off the Doctor's human side (Human Nature, The End of Time), it's heartbreaking. The problem I think is that he was lost under the shadow of Billie Piper's Rose from the very moment we were introduced to him, so he sort of had to fight for our hearts harder than Eccleston. It's sorta like hanging out with your close friend who introduces you to a new boyfriend after you spent so much time getting to know and liking her ex. All my attention will probably be on my friend instead of this stranger. Lucky for Matt Smith, his was pretty much a complete reboot

I also don't like the overall storytelling treatment for Tennant's Doctor. The whole love angle bored me, and its conclusion almost made me stop watching. The whole "Nobody appreciates the Doctor" theme made my skin crawl. I'm so glad the Matt Smith series is more focused on this Doctor's personal conflicts; it truly made me care about him.

It's true that 11's stories didn't seem very powerful individually, but I have to say there weren't as many stinkers as 10 had either. And overall - in terms of story arc and overall character development - I thought the storytelling was brilliant.

And I absolutely love Dr. Song's scene with a Dalek in "The Big Bang". Love it!

Can't wait for Season 6! Aren't they coming out this month?
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2011 at 05:39 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 06:29 PM »
Thanks for the 11 input :)  I find Matt Smith fascinating to look at. Parang mas minachete pa ang mukha kesa kay Ecclesboy (whom I superlove)

I know a number of fans on some forums who dislike the Ten/Rose tandem and were all WTH with TenII. I'm going to give S2 Ten a couple more chances and probably just choose some highly rec'd S3 epis then go to S4 (I hear Ten and Donna are great).
Amor Fati

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Mar 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM »
Here's the Doctor's latest annual contribution to Comic Relief

Part One
Part Two

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Mar 28, 2011 at 08:13 PM »
Two Amys. Yum!

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Mar 29, 2011 at 05:53 AM »
The Wibbly Lever!  ;D

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM »
New Who! New Who! I'm watching the first episode now.

First episodes are cool

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011 at 02:08 PM »
YouTube - Comic Relief - Catherine Tate & David Tennant

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A&feature=share

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 02:15 PM »
Has anyone seen the mid-season cliffhanger yet?

If I may borrow some geek-speak, I have to confess: Worst. Moffat. Ever.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 08, 2011 at 12:55 PM »
What do you mean? I loved it!

Also, I'm willing to bet my left leg that people shouted "I KNEW IT!" at the big reveal even though they didn't.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jun 10, 2011 at 03:01 AM »
More like "I had that in my list of possible reveals!"  ;D - which, come to think of it, is arguably one of this episode's weaknesses. Enough time has passed for a viewer's wayward thoughts to somehow come to that possibility, there's a danger that the reveal's OMG factor can get watered down, especially since the previous episode had what I believed to be a more jaw-dropping reveal

I felt the episode packed way too much in one hour for me to really enjoy any single element (Although the pre-title sequence was brilliant). Too many new allies that I didn't get to develop a liking to, too many new enemies I didn't get to feel threatened by. Plus For a supposed dark point in the Doctor's life, it was a bit underwhelming. Comrades dying is pretty much SOP for the Doctor, and the idea of the whole universe being afraid of the Doctor was already introduced in the previous season. I'm guessing things are meant to go further downhill for the Doctor?

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2011 at 03:16 AM by MultipleAngles »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 03, 2011 at 12:33 PM »
I'm with Phobos; yes it's jammed with too much stuff, a lot of it good (I love the Silurian lesbian and the Sontaran nurse, and I love Rory's macho stride across the opening sequence), but beyond the twist that's long in coming (I guessed it too, the moment we hear the baby's name) there is that twist no one saw coming and the fact that he's raised so high and brought so low--to apologize to Amy for his failure.

And what made the episode for me was that naughty/embarrassed look on his face when he realized just what River is saying. So--it's not the twists, so much as the reaction to those twists that Moffat seems to be emphasizing here.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 24, 2011 at 09:09 PM »
there is that twist no one saw coming

What twist was that, Noel? Maybe having not seen it coming, I actually missed it entirely  ;D.

Still feel the episode was too much of a mess to really enjoy, but I'm thinking it comes with producers experimenting with a new episode format. And you never know, by the season ender, Mr. Moffat will prolly work his magic and make Doubting Thomases like me realize these perceived failings were actually brilliance in disguise

That said, the Doctor is IN this weekend!
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2011 at 09:15 PM by MultipleAngles »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 09:13 AM »
The last episode was no "Human Nature" but I enjoyed it anyway. And Rory Williams is totally my hero.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 02:53 PM »
The last episode was no "Human Nature" but I enjoyed it anyway. And Rory Williams is totally my hero.

The cost of travelling with The Doctor --- Rory will never be the same again. And he truly loves Amy more... Hehe. Stand out performance by the three leads. Loved how the episode looked from start to finish.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011 at 04:31 PM by dobler »

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 09:52 PM »

I think the only Dr. Who I saw is the fourth one since that was telecast on local TV. I was too young to appreciate it.