Author Topic: It's A Wonderful Life - 60th Aniversary Edition  (Read 3781 times)

Offline chinoh151

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It's A Wonderful Life - 60th Aniversary Edition
« on: Aug 29, 2006 at 05:13 PM »
Title: It's a Wonderful Life (IMDb)
Starring: James Stewart
Released: 31st October 2006
SRP: Around $19.99

Further Details:
Paramount Home Entertainment has sent over artwork for a 60th Anniversary edition of Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life which stars James Stewart, and Donna Reed. The disc will be available to own from the 31st October, and should retail at around $19.99. I'm afraid Paramount has yet to reveal the extra material for this one, but we'll bring you further details very shortly. Stay tuned. For now though, here's the art:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/its-a-wonderful-life.html

AT THIS MOMMENT! I AM SO HAPPY! WEEEEEEE!!!  ;D

Offline jm33_babe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi
  • Liked:
Re: It's A Wonderful Life - 60th Aniversary Edition
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 08:23 AM »
uh uh... double dipping time  ;D

Offline im2bz

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 09:02 AM »
my copy from amazon ca. hasn't even been delivered, now this?! :'(

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 10:45 AM »
Sana they will include lots of extras.  Or a two-disc Black and White and Colorized version. 

Did Paramount bought the rights from Republic Pictures?  I own the Republic Pictures DVD and will surely double dip on this, one of my favorites, that never get old even with repeated viewing...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
I will also get this, I don't own the previous version but I've seen it, and I LOOVE it.  ;D

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2006 at 09:40 PM »

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2006 at 06:34 AM »
double dip ako rito pag me colorized version at me dagdag na extras..................

mukhang kasama ang colorized version kaya colored ang cover?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2006 at 03:26 PM »
I'm 99% sure the colorized version will NOT be included.

There was an article maybe a decade ago about certain films which a commission appointed by the US Congress had declared as examples of "American art " or something, and as such, these films may no longer be reproduced in altered versions without the express consent of the filmmakers. I remember that Casablanca and It's a Wonderful Life were among those titles. They could still sell inventory already previously manufactured, but not create any new stocks.

I've been trying to Google for that article, but I can't seem to find it - which is why I wrote 99% instead of 100%. I'm not sure if the ruling was challenged or something.

No double dip for me. I mean, my old Republic release has a booklet, a nice retrospective documentary hosted by Tom Bosley, and even came with a golden bell Christmas ornament for hanging on your tree. It's already THX certified and remastered from the original negative - how much further can they improve picture and audio quality on a 60 year old black and white film, anyway?
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2006 at 01:50 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2006 at 02:18 AM »
Despite what Mr. Hankey had posted above, I was keeping my fingers crossed that a new colorized version will come out.  After all, colorization has gotten better than it was in the 1980s.  And new colorization works by firms such as Legendfilms.net had done justice to classics such as My Man Godfrey...

But looks like it was really not to be....  The 60th Anniversary is remastered Black and White. Slight improvement on this new 60th anniversary edition over the Republic Films version - sharper blacks and a bit more picture on the sides:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/wonderfullife.htm

(dialup warning:  big pictures means long loading times for the above url)

I am a sucker for this film.  Double dipping time, even if the improvements looks marginal from the still shots.  More reviews should be in the offing tomorrow or the day after as the DVD get released.

Update: more reviews:

Conclusion from DVD Journal review:
http://www.dvdjournal.com/quickreviews/i/itsawonderfullife.q.shtml

"This 60th Anniversary Edition of It's a Wonderful Life is underwhelming insofar as it doesn't add anything substantially new over previous DVD editions of the film. While the 1.33:1 transfer features marginally stronger black-and-white contrast than did Artisan's 2001 remastered edition, and a good monaural Dolby Digital audio presentation (this new version also features only English subtitles, with the only alternate language audio track in French, so it's more limited than previous versions in these regards), the key advantage to the 60th Anniversary Edition is that the recycled extras — the stilted 22-minute Tom Bosely-narrated retrospective "The Making of It's a Wonderful Life" and 14-minute "'A Personal Remembrance' from Frank Capra Jr." (with interview footage of Capra Sr. and Stewart) — are included on the same side of the disc as the feature, not the flipside. Also included is the original theatrical trailer. Keep-case."
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2006 at 02:29 PM by techdude »

Offline uebetan12

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2006 at 02:23 PM »
the dvdbeaver comparisons show that the paramount version is slightly better and this is good enough for me to double dip on this one....but i will also wait for any region 3 release by magnavision in order to have a cheaper buy

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2006 at 02:26 PM »
Actually, mas mahal pa sa Magnavision kung sakali...  P895 kung DVD9, it's something like $12 sa Amazon, even with shipping and duties, it would still be cheaper or just slightly more expensive than local release (if ever)...
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2006 at 02:27 PM by techdude »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2006 at 09:03 PM »
Double dipping time, even if the improvements looks marginal from the still shots.

Improvements? Despite the higher average bitrate, all images captured from the Republic release look better to me. I can see facial details, not just darker blacks that obscure the finer facial lines and details.

And no additional features whatsoever! And LESS language and subtitle tracks! And no Christmas tree ornament!

I'm glad I can spend my money on other titles - there are quite a number of good ones due in the next few weeks.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2006 at 10:03 PM »
There's a few extra pixel on each side of the screen on the new version.  The new version also looks just a little bit cleaner to me.

And I don't need the other language tracks and subtitles anyway... all that matters is the English track and the English subtitles.

And that it is not a flipper.  I hate flippers, somehow, I feel that having both sides viewable makes it more prone to scratches.  Maybe it's just a matter of perception, but I still does not like them...

To each his own.  For most, the improvements are marginal and probably not worth double-dipping;  But as stated, I treasure this film and had been wanting to get a second copy of IAWL, so this gives me a good excuse to do so.   
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2006 at 10:06 PM by techdude »

Offline uebetan12

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 11:16 PM »
called up magnavision...this dvd is not one of their forthcoming releases......its worth double dipping..........the improvement in the video quality alone is a lot better, you dont have to be aan eagle eyed viewer to notice it........moreover, the previous release does not have english subtitles

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 01:42 AM »
the dvdbeaver comparisons show that the paramount version is slightly better

the improvement in the video quality alone is a lot better, you dont have to be aan eagle eyed viewer to notice it

So... is it slightly, or a lot;D

I guess I'm very fortunate that I'm even less than eagle eyed, since I really can't say that this (captured from my Republic DVD):

Is a lot worse than this:

So I'm one of the lucky few who won't have to double dip and can save some money.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2006 at 01:44 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 04:00 AM »
Everything is subjective.  And still frames probably doesn't tell the whole story.   For someone who cherish the film, a little might mean a lot.  Whether to double dip or not is one's choice.   

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
It's A Wonderful Life (2-Disc Collector's Set) - November 13, 2007
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 01:30 AM »
Another edition coming November 13, 2007. 

It's A Wonderful Life (2-Disc Collector's Set)

Now includes both the black-and-white and (if I am not wrong) for the first time on DVD - the colorized version. 

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 01:37 AM by techdude »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 09:22 AM »
Nice! I'm glad to be proven wrong. That's why I gave a 1%.  ;D

Note that this is also a brand-new colorization attempt. The previous two colorizations were withdrawn due to complaints from both Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart. Well, that's according to the Wikipedia entry, at least. Maybe that withdrawal was what I read about, I'm still confused. Was it Casablanca & Citizen Kane? A ewan, baka next year, yung dalawa naman na yun ang lumabas na colorized!  ;D

Now I'm double dipping. Damn!

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 10:36 PM »
OOOHH! Own the 60th Aniv na. I'll wait for the other features to see if I'll consider buying this one. But seeing that there's a colored version...I'm pretty interested, but I dont think it'll beat the black-and-white glory.  ;D

Anways, thanks for the heads up guys!  ;D ;)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2007 at 01:47 AM »
OOOHH! Own the 60th Aniv na. I'll wait for the other features to see if I'll consider buying this one. But seeing that there's a colored version...I'm pretty interested, but I dont think it'll beat the black-and-white glory.  ;D

Anways, thanks for the heads up guys!  ;D ;)

You're right. Even though the colored version is very much welcome, the black & white original version makes the movie more nostalgic.

Offline JohnMcClane

• Collector
  • Yippe kay yay!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 10:46 AM »
the colorized version looks good.
here's a review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/wonderfullife.htm
Live free or die hard.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 12:55 AM »
The other side:

Wonderful? Sorry, George, It’s a Pitiful, Dreadful Life
By WENDELL JAMIESON for the New York Times

" Here’s the thing about Pottersville that struck me when I was 15: It looks like much more fun than stultifying Bedford Falls — the women are hot, the music swings, and the fun times go on all night. If anything, Pottersville captures just the type of excitement George had long been seeking.

And what about that banking issue? When he returns to the “real” Bedford Falls, George is saved by his friends, who open their wallets to cover an $8,000 shortfall at his savings and loan brought about when the evil Mr. Potter snatched a deposit mislaid by George’s idiot uncle, Billy (Thomas Mitchell).

But isn’t George still liable for the missing funds, even if he has made restitution? I mean, if someone robs a bank, and then gives the money back, that person still robbed the bank, right?

Not only is Pottersville cooler and more fun than Bedford Falls, it also would have had a much, much stronger future. Think about it: In one scene George helps bring manufacturing to Bedford Falls. But since the era of “It’s a Wonderful Life” manufacturing in upstate New York has suffered terribly.

On the other hand, Pottersville, with its nightclubs and gambling halls, would almost certainly be in much better financial shape today. It might well be thriving...."

Full article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/movies/19wond.html

Offline uebetan12

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM »
this release is better than the previous ones, better in picture quality and with a colored version to boot, it's one of my favorite movies and surely for the next generation of film lovers