Author Topic: Choosing an AV Receiver  (Read 195980 times)

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Choosing an AV Receiver
« Reply #1110 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 09:06 AM »
Zone 2 etc does not require separate volume controls since you can control any of them from your reciever with this feature.

Im aware of that fact actually, but his manual says otherwise so i just repeated it.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1111 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 09:24 AM »
In that case, then the Zone 2 of his receiver is not a pre-out but a line-out.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013 at 09:25 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1112 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM »
Yes, if you read back what you quoted, i believe i mentioned that.

Sir the yamaha 673 in particular has a zone 2 analog audio output that functions as a line out so with this receiver i believe its possible to use it with your power amplifier (provided it has its own volume control which i think your mx-1 does not have, what it has are gain controls at the back), but that would only be for zone 2.  And if im not mistaken zone 1 and 2 needs 2 different sets of speakers.

Lets wait for the more experienced users to chime in, i might be wrong.

Zone 2 etc does not require separate volume controls since you can control any of them from your reciever with this feature.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1113 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM »
Yes, I overlooked the manual posted earlier that said it needed an amplifier with volume control.  The Zone 2 etc implementations I know don't.   They either harness unused channels in a multichannel receiver or use pre-outs.  This is the first time I encountered a Zone 2 etc implementation using line outs. This must be the trend these days. Thanks for pointing that out.

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1114 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM »
Yes, I overlooked the manual posted earlier that said it needed an amplifier with volume control.  The Zone 2 etc implementations I know don't.   They either harness unused channels in a multichannel receiver or use pre-outs.  This is the first time I encountered a Zone 2 etc implementation using line outs. This must be the trend these days. Thanks for point that out.

I made the same mistake myself, first time ive read about a receiver with such a feature.  Come to think of it, you are right, the 673 if im not mistaken is a 2012 release so it must be a new trend.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1115 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM »
afaik even with the latest receivers zone 2 will not output the same audio as the main zone in normal configuration. but you can connect the front pre-outs to an analog input, select that input for zone 2, connect the zone 2 pre-out to an amp that drives the front speakers. i even used the zone2 amps to drive 2 passive subs. i used an rca splitter and connected one end to the sub pre-out, the two ends to the tape inputs which i selected as zone 2, and finally the zone 2 amp outputs to the subs.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM by markcrenz »
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline renren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1116 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 04:07 PM »
hi guys , im a newbee in HT set up...i just want to upgrade my HT to a real HT with receiver ....is yamaha v373 receiver with speakers are going to be fine as a new HT? thanks pinoy dvd

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1117 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 04:25 PM »
afaik even with the latest receivers zone 2 will not output the same audio as the main zone in normal configuration.

Thought so too.  Ergo, the poster cannot use the Zone 2 driving his MX-1 with the same material as his main room.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1118 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 05:16 PM »
hi guys , im a newbee in HT set up...i just want to upgrade my HT to a real HT with receiver ....is yamaha v373 receiver with speakers are going to be fine as a new HT? thanks pinoy dvd

That will depend on what speaker you will match it with, more often than not people build around the speakers and not the avr.  Have you auditioned any set? Your budget will also play a buge role.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline [dcw]aaron

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1119 on: Jan 14, 2013 at 07:59 PM »
if i plan on using wharfes (diamond 10s/100s), can you guys suggest a good model of avrs (pio or yammy) as i've read that these ones are ok with the wharfes. budget will prolly be ~25k.
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline freeks

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1120 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 05:46 PM »
Thanks for all the answers. Looks like I have to get an AVR with a pre-out.

Though just asking what is the difference of line-out vs pre-out?

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1121 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 05:54 PM »
Thanks for all the answers. Looks like I have to get an AVR with a pre-out.

Though just asking what is the difference of line-out vs pre-out?

With the little that i know, i believe line outs do not have variable volume control which is why the 673 needs an amp with volume control, whereas with a preout your avr still has control.  Markcrenz already chimed in sa discussion, malayo pong mas alam ni mark ang sagot dyan so kung ano sabihin nya i'll defer to it.  Pm nyo po, baka mas mabilis masagot ni sir mark.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1122 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 03:50 AM »
Hi guys, about to "graduate" from stereo to HT surround. My brother is shipping me his gaming PC rig through a balikbayan box,1 so I casually mentioned I might do a surround sound set-up for it given I'm for the most part satisfied with my 2.0 set-up by now. At that point he volunteered a few Amazon/Visa gift cards left over from Christmas and from clients throughout the year to get me an A/V receiver, just to get me started before they end up panic-buying(swapping) restaurant gift cards just before they expire,2 and I've so far narrowed down my choice to the following:

TX-SR313, $199
Pros : Real cheap - I think it can read audio formats I'm likely to find on movie copies I'll get on current HD format
Cons : Only $30+$25 more for all those features on the NR414, cheap spring clips

TX-NR414, $229+$25 USB dongle
Pros : Network capabilities, Android (have an S3) and iOS (also an iPad2) remote
Cons : All those firmware and HDMI board issues discussed on threads that came up after using Google

TX-NR509, $255+$25 USB dongle
Pros : Network capabilities, Android and iOS remote, no mention of the same issues on the 2012 models
Cons : Features/specs-wise looks like the older version of the NR414, for $25 more

AVR-1513, $250
Pros : Discrete amplifier design (more on this below)
Cons : Cheap spring clips, no network/remote apps but might not be that important

Usage, by from highest to lowest in terms of...
i. Time to be spent doing, hypothetically : 40% Games3 ; 30% Movies4 ; 25% concerts and TV series (on DVD/BR/digital download), 5% background music5
ii. Importance : 40% Movies, 40% concerts, 20% Games - I'm less likely to nitpick about sound when of thundering sound of cavalry when I'm more worried about it coming from behind or heading for my flanks, which I think even a motherboard soundcard can produce spatially, if not tonally full

Notes

1. Amplifier design : Is "discrete amplifier" and "WRAT" all that different? One's a topology, but given how good gain clone speaker amps are and my current main system's headphone amp uses Class A-biased LM6171's and it's quiet, transparent and dynamic - with later amps still suing the same basic design with different opamps - I can't discriminate based on topology alone. The other basically means "high current." Either way - doesn't the Onkyo use a 'discrete amp' too? Conversely, if it doesn't, would this particular discrete design, if at least in theory, trump WRAT for dynamic sound?

Reviews (not all comparisons) I found off Google that talk about any variances in driving capability aren't any more informative than the marketing fluff. I can't find them now but some said Denon for movies, Onkyo for music but thin and lacked dynamics in movies (but some refer to other models, so it gets even more confusing).

2. Speaker matching : Although I won't be spending any more on my 2ch rig for a while I'd still rather not blow a lot of cash on this. Anyone encounter any issues with these or comparable older models driving Wharfedale Diamonds? Looking into getting a used set of Diamond 9 or 10 - not necessarily dipoles at the rears, more important is to have the mains with matched centers (and matched color). Sub will follow much later, might customize it.

-----

So basically, is there reason to suppose the Denon would be noticeably better (or looking at it another way, would the Onkyo be audibly worse) driving Wharfedale Diamonds or similar speakers playing music/concerts, and is it enough to overlook the spring clips and lack of network capabilities?

And given I'm only starting in HT, despite all these years in 2ch audio - am I not putting any attention into other details, like signal processing and compatibility with current formats, etc? I expect newer ones to come out, but I'd at least like to keep the receiver for as long as possible barring 1) equipment failure or 2) compatible formats are no longer available.

------

1He's done this twice before as they're near impossible to sell in the US if you don't trust Craigslist, and save for the gfx card and CPU cooler coming off one of them, they all got here fine - he's since learned to stuff pack the gfx card and CPU cooler separately
2So basically let's do away with 110v vs 220v or local warranty vs cheap abroad replies; I live alone and there's no way anyone's plugging it in without me, nor would warranty be absolutely important given I'm getting it free and only n this way
3Mostly Total War series, RTS where I think surround might if not enhance gaming performance, enhance the experience; but some action, FPS, sports and racing sometimes
4Mostly action/epic
5No need for Zone 2, I can leave the door open ; remote apps a nice bonus though[/i

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #1123 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 04:33 AM »
1. Amplifier design : Is "discrete amplifier" and "WRAT" all that different? One's a topology, but given how good gain clone speaker amps are and my current main system's headphone amp uses Class A-biased LM6171's and it's quiet, transparent and dynamic - with later amps still suing the same basic design with different opamps - I can't discriminate based on topology alone. The other basically means "high current." Either way - doesn't the Onkyo use a 'discrete amp' too? Conversely, if it doesn't, would this particular discrete design, if at least in theory, trump WRAT for dynamic sound?

2012 Onkyo AVRs also use discrete component output stages for the entire lineup. Older entry level models used chip amps.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1124 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 04:37 PM »
2012 Onkyo AVRs also use discrete component output stages for the entire lineup. Older entry level models used chip amps.

So the amplifier in the NR509 and NR414 are different designs, despite similar ratings? Or by "entry level" it's just the SR3xx's?

Either way, for around $250 - 1513 with no network capabilities, or the NR414+USB dongle? I can live without network more than I can live with lackluster live music SQ, I'm just not sure if the amp in one would actually trump the other given the speakers I plan to use. I know, this would be easier if I just listened, but I'm not buying the receiver here and I don't have the speakers yet (and I can't seem to find a store that has both receivers AND the Diamond series).

Offline mugen394

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1125 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM »
hi guys, need your help, my dad is giving me his old jamo s406 hcs ht speakers, but don't know which avr is best, im choosing between this yamaha rx-673 or pioneer vsx-922, or if you have any recommendations, my budget is 30K below.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1126 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 02:45 AM »
hi guys, need your help, my dad is giving me his old jamo s406 hcs ht speakers, but don't know which avr is best, im choosing between this yamaha rx-673 or pioneer vsx-922, or if you have any recommendations, my budget is 30K below.

With that budget, madami kang mabibili. Or you can try the marketplace for preowned mid-high level receivers. Get a powerful receiver in terms of RMS with auto calibration (5 bands at least) for ease of tuning. there's a bnew US model pioneer being sold. I think it's a 1021 or 1022 (higher model than the 922 you mentioned) at less than P15t. You can save up for a sub kung bitin ka pa sa current sub included in your set.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1127 on: Apr 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM »
So the amplifier in the NR509 and NR414 are different designs, despite similar ratings? Or by "entry level" it's just the SR3xx's?

Either way, for around $250 - 1513 with no network capabilities, or the NR414+USB dongle? I can live without network more than I can live with lackluster live music SQ, I'm just not sure if the amp in one would actually trump the other given the speakers I plan to use. I know, this would be easier if I just listened, but I'm not buying the receiver here and I don't have the speakers yet (and I can't seem to find a store that has both receivers AND the Diamond series).

I own Onkyo 313, and I can say it was indeed VERY luckluster in sound quality, I think all the Onkyo *1* (313, 414, 616 etc) will sound the same as they are using the same audio chipset/IC, only differs in amp power, connectivity/type and features.

Seriously, I dont recommend this Onkyo series.

Offline barny sumner

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1128 on: Apr 27, 2013 at 02:03 PM »
Greetings guys!  :)

It is obvious logic to pair 5.1 speakers with a 5.1 receiver.
However, i have questions regarding driving 5.1 speakers with a 7.1 receiver:

1.) If the source being played is in 7.1 soundtrack, how does the receiver channel it through 5.1 speakers?

2.)  If the source being played is in 5.1 soundtrack, does the 7.1 receiver simply function like a 5.1 receiver?

And in the case of a 5.1 receiver driving 5.1 speakers, how are 7.1 soundtracks treated? Does the receiver simply discard the 2 excess channels from the soundtrack?

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME GUYS!  :-)

Offline pagalang

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Wazzap?
  • Liked:
« Reply #1129 on: May 15, 2013 at 01:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure this was tackled a few pages back but I just can't seem to find it.

Anyway, what are the distinct/general characteristics you would say of the following Receivers in terms of sound quality/tone?

Pioneer
Onkyo
Marantz
Denon

Looking to upgrade my old Onkyo and just can't decide which is better. Thanks peeps!!
Onkyo TX - 575
B&W DM305 / B&W DM302 / B&W CC3
Ditton CS100
Pioneer DVD / Kenwood CD /JVC VHS/ PS3

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1130 on: May 15, 2013 at 01:41 PM »
marantz and denon units are practically the same there both now own by D&M Holdings, Your just paying for the badge, just read this from jdsmoothie post here:.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1369576/marantz-or-denon

Offline yscko0917

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1131 on: Aug 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM »
kaya naba ng pioneer VSX522K ang Wharfedale Diamond 10.7?
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2013 at 03:29 AM by yscko0917 »

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1132 on: Aug 14, 2013 at 07:15 AM »
kaya naba ng pioneer VSX522K ang Wharfedale Diamond 10.7?

as long as main listening position is not too far, and/or the room is not too big, and/or the listening loudness levels too high, it would work fine.

try to audition the combo first and see if you like the resulting sound. when doing so, try and see how high you can turn up the volume before you hear any sign of the receiver running out of headroom.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2013 at 07:34 AM by rthirtyfourgtr »
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1133 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 05:17 PM »
Guys, if you were on the look-out for two (2) receivers, both for HT. Budget is 6k-8k for one and 12k max for the other, what would you guys recommend? Pls suggest for both pre-owned and brand new at those price ranges, thanks guys.

Offline titor

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1134 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 02:29 PM »
Guys, if you were on the look-out for two (2) receivers, both for HT. Budget is 6k-8k for one and 12k max for the other, what would you guys recommend? Pls suggest for both pre-owned and brand new at those price ranges, thanks guys.

Mahirap yang 6-8k na budget sir. If meron man yung mga old models na hindi pa HDMI out. for the 10- 12k you can get the pio 522, yamaha373 or the onkyo 313. All are entry levels. if you can stretch your budget to 15k may mahanap ka ng mid-high end na pre-owned. abang abang lang sa mp bilis mga tao dun.
That awkward moment when I'm drunk and you're still ugly.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Re: Choosing an AV Receiver
« Reply #1135 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 09:41 PM »

Eto:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=182443.0

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1136 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 09:56 PM »
may makukuha ka siguro onkyo 606 for 9k and pioneer elite 40 for 12k. baka ibigay pa ng 19k for both.  ;)
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1137 on: Sep 20, 2013 at 06:02 PM »
Whats the diff between the 522 and elite 40? Just 5.1 v. 7.1 ? Where can I see Elite 40 for 12k? What are the entry-level budget friendly 7.1 AVRs with hdmi inputs.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM by egzbuen »

Offline -mhan-

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do it now. Sometimes “Later” becomes “Never”.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #1138 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 05:41 PM »
nabasa ko na lahat ng comments from page 1 at hanggang dito sa page na ito. ngunit naguguluhan parin ako. :P

itong nalalapit na november - december magbubuo ako ng HT/sound set up, ayun sa aking nabasa marami nagsasabi na unang bilhin ang recievers bago speakers.

itong setup na ito na gagamitin ko more on music, bale 65%music / 35%movies. anu marerecomend niyong AV Reciever sa budget na 20k-23k, and what particular brand/model.

MARANTZ
HK
ONKYO

DENON
YAMAHA
PIONEER

salamat PDVD ^-^

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1139 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 06:01 PM »
^ I think sir you need to set your budget na din for speakers..kasi when you audition you need to see what speakers will you be able to pair the receivers? kasya ba budget mo para sa kanila..if music > movies..I will go for marantz/HK then Denon..the last time I demoed AVRs was 2009 pa hehe..as far as I can recall mas musical yung HK vs Denon..but I need the Audyssey setup of Denon so I compromised a little bit..50 music 50 movies ako noon..but in the end 100% movies nangyari sa Denon lol..