Author Topic: Choosing an AV Receiver  (Read 194772 times)

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Choosing a Receiver
« Reply #30 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 11:57 AM »
guys help naman im choosing between Marantz 4500 & Denon 1705 (or ano ba kalevel ng 4500?). wc wud be good for 60/40 in favor of audio? may differences pa ba sa pag match ng speakers to?

and wat speakers wud match these? im lookoing at the wharfes 9.4 (fronts), 9cs (center), 9dfs (surround). OR yung Gale 3030 (fronts), 3050c (center), 3060 (surround). i also checked the MS 904, 905c, & ms906 surround...kaso medyo mahal na sya....TIA ???

Offline 5Speed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 07:05 PM »
sa marantz ako....mas maganda sya sa music para sa akin....

yan eh kung di kung pasok sa budget pareho yung dalawa mong pagpipilian...

pero kung me seperate audio setup ka... at puro pang HT mo gagamitin yung AVR mo eh sa Yamaha ka....
more bells and whistles yan...hehehe

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 11:17 AM »
bro 5speed! yup im really considering marantz4500 as ive tried it with the MS 904, 905c, & ms906 surround and with the gales... i was very impressed with the MS ang clear sbra even for movies. but i'll be using my avr more on audio...so u said ok marantz...how about the speaker matching? tnx

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 01:43 PM »
What is good for audio is good for HT.  Not always the reverse.  Why didn't you test the marantz + MS for stereo using a familiar CD?  Na-test mo na pala using 5.1 set-up, bakit di kapa nag-salang ng CD and put the receiver on stereo mode?

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 03:34 PM »
sir av! i did try it on stereo mode also and its still clear for me. ya i read that here somewhere. why is that  "What is good for audio is good for HT.  Not always the reverse."

sorry just a newbie....pls enlighten...tnx sirs!

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 03:50 PM »
Sa HT kasi, basta naramdaman mo yung pagsabog at naintindihan mo yung dialog, ok ka na. And the video part, more often than not, takes most of your attention.

In audio, ears lang gumagana. Madaling makita yung flaws ng system kasi mas konti yung naghahati sa attention mo. Para ma-minimize yung flaws, get good audio gears.
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2005 at 03:54 PM by bumblebee »

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 05:32 PM »
bro bumble yup i got that! so its best to invest on a bit better gears than the entry levels?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 05:35 PM »
Yup, Bumblebee said it to the point.  

Let me just add that HT is part visuals and part audio.  It's the audio part we're concerned mostly when talking about receivers and speakers.  So regardless of whether it's 5.1 or stereo, your receiver and speaker combo must be excellent as an audio playback system.  Audio in HT for the most part, except with explosions and opening/closing music, is slightly less demanding than full music playback over a longer period of time.  HT mostly has vocals and we know the limited spectral range of vocals compared with the full range of a musical piece in whatever genre.  The only thing demanding in HT are the low frequencies in explosions and other special effects which are rightly taken cared of by subwoofers, not so much by the receivers and speakers.  Still, even if you don't have a sub, a great receiver and speaker tandem that is good in music can do the job for HT's LFE though on a weaker scale.

So apart form the fact that your aural faculties are less keen with HT due to the fact your eyes get more stimulus and competes with your ear's attention, a receiver+speaker tandem that does a great job reproducing the entire 20hz-20khz spectral energies of a musical piece over extended periods of time,  there is no reason to doubt it can do a great job for HT.  

But not the reverse.  Expereince with those frequency-challenged BOSE cubes and subs show that they can be impressive with almost any HT material.  But once they go plain stereo music, they start to sound pathetic.  

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 06:27 PM »
sir av! tnx for the enlightnment! i got that!  ;D

now...the search continues....hehehe :D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 25, 2005 at 08:58 PM »
bro bumble yup i got that! so its best to invest on a bit better gears than the entry levels?

It depends on how you define entry-level. Is it the price or model of a particular brand? Me, I categorize by model. For me, I don't expect night and differences between a Yamaha RX-V450, an HK AVR130, a Denon 1705, a Marantz 4500 or an Onkyo TX-SR503. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. One may have more power but one will have more bells and whistles, one will play good music but will look bad, one looks cool but gets hot too quickly. Pick the one that meets most of your current requirements.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 10:59 AM »
bro bumblebee! yup i meant by model also...its just so many of them thats y im asking others' opinions for me to be able to narrow them down n choose wats suits me best! tnx agn bros! ;D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 11:03 AM »
There are mid-levels that are priced closely to other brands' entry-levels. You may want to start w/ them ;)

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 01:12 PM »
bro bee! can u mention some of these? tnx

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 01:16 PM »
Yamaha 650/750.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 05:36 PM »
bro bee! pero they say yamaha is more for ht ryt? im more into music kasi eh....wat else po kaya bro?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 07:32 PM »
bro bee! pero they say yamaha is more for ht ryt? im more into music kasi eh....wat else po kaya bro?

That's what we say. You'll never really know till you listen ;)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 26, 2005 at 07:52 PM »

More into music then HK bagay sa iyo. :)

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 11:29 AM »
bro hans kaso baka di na pasok sa budget ko HK? :o

help guys may dumagdag pa sa avr choices ko?!?!!? now choices are Marantz4500 (7.1ch: 80wpc) (~17t), Denon1705 (6.1ch: 75wpc?) (~18t+), Denon1905 (7.1ch) (~22500), or Onkyo tx sr-502 (6.1ch: 80wpc?) (~20700)....wat po ok 60/40 in favor of music?
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2005 at 01:01 PM by kt »

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 01:19 PM »
bro hans kaso baka di na pasok sa budget ko HK? :o

help guys may dumagdag pa sa avr choices ko?!?!!? now choices are Marantz4500 (7.1ch: 80wpc) (~17t), Denon1705 (6.1ch: 75wpc?) (~18t+), Denon1905 (7.1ch) (~22500), or Onkyo tx sr-502 (6.1ch: 80wpc?) (~20700)....wat po ok 60/40 in favor of music?

As other says Audition and listen.

But to answer your querry, from the choices you gave, I'll go for the Marantz. More musical to me and less expensive too as compared to others you've listed.

However, if it was me who'll buy now. I'll just buy the HK 130 posted in the buy and sell. Much more musical than those you've listed and very very cheap too. Then I'll add up the savings for a good speaker system.

that's just me.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 01:24 PM »
bro jcob tnx for the reply! im really leaning towards the marantz4500. considering its already 7.1 capable n 80wpc? n also the cheapest among my choices!  ;D

ano pa po feedback ng iba? post lang po kyo! tnx

Offline czedryk

• Collector
  • VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 01:52 PM »
hi kt,

to each his own pa rin in our hobby, but personally i'd go for HK... :D

how much is your budget if i may ask?

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 02:15 PM »
bro czedryk! budget for avr cguro mga 22t below...n consider din po sana yung 7.1 n ample power para di na mag upgrade agad dba?

Offline czedryk

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 04:35 PM »
it's good that u already considered 7.1, mahirap kc tamaan ng SARS ngayon e... ;D
With that budget, hindi nga aabot sa HK, coz the lowest 7.1 model is around 29K+.
HK 230 is around 22.9K (which is only 6.1).
If you want, The Home Theater offers a 35+35+30 payment scheme, since the owner is also a fellow member.

I also heard a Marantz/MS combo in 5th Ave., and they sound good (although a bit on the bright side).
My advice is before buying, listen to it one more time; and after buying avoid further auditioning

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 04:40 PM »
I'd also go for the HK. Kung sa power lang hindi ka mabibitin (compare the power consumption of the 45 wpc HK vs. 80-90 wpc Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha and you'll know what I mean) ;) Aside from being musical, a lot of people here can attest that it matches well with a lot of speakers.  If it was me and I am just starting, I would go for jcob's suggestion to get the 12K HK130 posted in the buy and sell section and use the savings to get better speakers.  If your room is small to medium, 5.1 would do the job just fine.  Of course, that's just me  ;D
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 04:45 PM »
bro czedryk! i have actually auditioned twice the marantz4500 n MS904, ms905c & ms903 combo n i like it a lot! i also auditioned twice the wharfes 9.4, 9cs & 9dfs! your right that the MS is more on the bright side n i find it clearer n detailed thats y i find the wharfes 9.4 a bit "dull"...or maybe coz i compared it lanf sa MS? ???
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2005 at 04:46 PM by kt »

Offline czedryk

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 04:47 PM »
I'd also go for the HK. Kung sa power lang hindi ka mabibitin (compare the power consumption of the 45 wpc HK vs. 80-90 wpc Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha and you'll know what I mean) ;)

You can also use the weight in comparing... ;)
My baby is 41lbs, and it's only rated @ 75wpc...

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 10:46 AM »
I'd also go for the HK. Kung sa power lang hindi ka mabibitin (compare the power consumption of the 45 wpc HK vs. 80-90 wpc Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha and you'll know what I mean) ;) Aside from being musical, a lot of people here can attest that it matches well with a lot of speakers.  If it was me and I am just starting, I would go for jcob's suggestion to get the 12K HK130 posted in the buy and sell section and use the savings to get better speakers.  If your room is small to medium, 5.1 would do the job just fine.  Of course, that's just me  ;D

I second the suggestion. 

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 11:06 AM »
hehe i know maganda po HK...kaso di pasok sa budget ko n para di narin mag upgrade agad... :-\

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 11:34 AM »
There's an HK130 at Assorted B & S for "12k na lang"

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 12:36 PM »
There's an HK130 at Assorted B & S for "12k na lang"

babagal bagal ka, walang best ns darating sa yo at 12k!  ;D
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)