Author Topic: Choosing an AV Receiver  (Read 198919 times)

Offline WhoKilledMrP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Choosing an AV Receiver
« Reply #510 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 08:09 AM »
Hey guys. Need help again. I keep getting conflicting advice regarding pre-amp out connections for receivers. I'm considering getting a Yamaha  RXV 640, but was advised my stand-alone speaker-amplifier system will not work unless I directly connect the speakers. (I've decided not to risk connecting the speakers to the receiver directly as they only have a 50Wpc @ 6 ohm maximum.)

Now, the only input for 5.1 sound of my existing speaker-amplifier system is through an analog/RCA connection. If I connect the 5.1 inputs of my speaker-amp to the pre-out of the RXV 640 (pictured below), is there any reason, assuming that both devices are working, that this won't work/produce sound? Do you foresee any problems?

Oh, heck. Someone get him some tissue.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #511 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 09:13 AM »
now you're beginning to sound like an idiot.  ;D ;D ;D
why would you buy a receiver if you are going to use only the pre-outs and connect it to a less powerful speaker system? ??? the reason yamaha or other manufacturers install pre-outs on their receivers is for the user to be able to connect it to better and/or louder amps.

btw you may want to read this if you want to learn more about speaker/amp matching:
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/amp_info/how_much_power.htm
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline WhoKilledMrP

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 09:33 AM »
now you're beginning to sound like an idiot.  ;D ;D ;D
why would you buy a receiver if you are going to use only the pre-outs and connect it to a less powerful speaker system? ??? the reason yamaha or other manufacturers install pre-outs on their receivers is for the user to be able to connect it to better and/or louder amps.

btw you may want to read this if you want to learn more about speaker/amp matching:
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/amp_info/how_much_power.htm

Ok! Thanks for clarifying, mark!  :)

I get that the setup I'm proposing is (a lot) less than ideal, but this is the most cost-efficient way that I can get 5.1 sound right now. Since I'm limited by the inputs of the speaker-amp and don't want to spend on new speakers right now, I'm just looking for a receiver that will work with what I have. That's also the reason why I'm not spending more money on a new receiver that has more future-proof features.

Ideally, in the not-so-distant-future, I can dispose of the speaker-amplifier and build a HT/audio system that I can be proud of.  But right now, the sound it produces is adequate for the room and my ears, so I might as well make the most of it.

So, again, even given that it's not an ideal or efficient setup, will it work or not?

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #513 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM »
Sir,

It may be better if you will post the exact brand and model number of your speakers ... from what i'm reading, it seems that your speakers are 5.1 PC speakers .... what are the input ports of your speakers - besides the RCA's, is there an spdif (digital coax or optical input)?

If those are just PC speakers, I wouldn't recommend connecting those to an AVR - even entry-level AVR's.  It would be best for you to purchase another set of speakers for the AVR if you really want to get one ....if there are budget constraints, you can start with two speakers, then just add the center, rear, and sub when you have the budget.
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline WhoKilledMrP

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM »
Sir,

It may be better if you will post the exact brand and model number of your speakers ... from what i'm reading, it seems that your speakers are 5.1 PC speakers .... what are the input ports of your speakers - besides the RCA's, is there an spdif (digital coax or optical input)?

If those are just PC speakers, I wouldn't recommend connecting those to an AVR - even entry-level AVR's.  It would be best for you to purchase another set of speakers for the AVR if you really want to get one ....if there are budget constraints, you can start with two speakers, then just add the center, rear, and sub when you have the budget.

They're Hoffman. Unknown brand for speakers. They don't even have a website. An impulsive buy by ignorant users.

All it's input connections are analog. Speakers are connected to the subwoofer-amplifier through speaker wires. It's pretty big and really meant to be used for home theater audio. The sub's about the size of a pc casing, only wider and the speakers are about 4 feet high, 5 in across and 5 in deep.

If it only had the optical input, i wouldn't even consider getting an avr, but I need something to convert an optical signal (input) to 5.1 analog (output).

Will the RXV 640 do this? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #515 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM »
Now, the only input for 5.1 sound of my existing speaker-amplifier system is through an analog/RCA connection

well, you already said here that you have 5.1 inputs to your speaker system. so the simplest upgrade you can do just so you can use the dd/dts audio of your movies is to buy a dvd player with 5.1 outputs. like so:

then, you can adjust the parameters (delay, level, bass management, etc.) through your player if your receiver doesn't have those adjustments. this will tide you over quite well until you can finally upgrade to a full HT system.

(i was just reading about hoffman here in another thread... but i won't say any more).  ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2009 at 01:05 PM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline WhoKilledMrP

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 01:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have that kind of player. I also have a NMT that i want to output into 5.1 and its only outputs are analog stereo or optical, thus my (apparent) need for the receiver.

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2009 at 01:09 PM by WhoKilledMrP »

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 01:33 PM »
The speakers are 45 watts and have an impedance of 6 ohms. I have kept reading that wattage shouldn't be a major concern and that i should be more mindful of getting a receiver with same or higher impedance.

My concern is that most receivers i've seen have an output of 50Wpc or more. If I use my 6ohm, 45W speakers with a receiver that outputs 50Wpc at or more at 8ohms, will i (irreparably) damage my speakers, or is this an acceptable setup?
Bro, just FYI.

My speakers are specced at 20-100W at 6ohm. But my AVR is only rated as capable of delivering 40 Watts per channel at 8ohm (although it is said that my AVR manufacturer has conservative ratings). Yet I have had no problems so far driving my speakers (although, I've never driven them at full power, at most mga -10dB).

Offline WhoKilledMrP

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 01:47 PM »
I'll probably try connecting the speakers directly, but I'd rather have peace-of-mind by having the option to connect it to the pre-amp out. (Although "peace-of-mind" might sound ironic with the Hoffman.  :P)

So, anyone?  Analog 5.1 connection from receiver pre-amp out to analog 5.1 input of the amplifier-speakers - will it work?

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 05:30 PM »
Analog 5.1 connection from receiver pre-amp out to analog 5.1 input of the amplifier-speakers - will it work?  

for your peace of mind... it will.

problem is... you now have redundant volume controls, and your avr's unutilized amp may be* better than the hoffman's.

you can also try to let your h/t system to power just the sub.. and connect all the speakers to the yamaha avr.

*you might find that after trying the latter option, that you like the original setup more.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2009 at 05:36 PM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline WhoKilledMrP

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 06:36 PM »
Thanks, gearhead (and everyone else that's given advice). That's what I wanted to know. I'll consider attaching the speakers directly once I've read up a bit more.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #521 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 12:49 AM »
in case you decide to purchase the yamaha receiver, don't be afraid to connect your existing satellites to it. just set all speakers to "small" in the speaker settings and the crossover high enough. the user's manual will give you a guide to accomplish this. clean power from the yamaha will produce a better sound than the hoffman's amps. this will also give more headroom for the subwoofer since its internal power supply will only deliver power to the sub amp instead of sharing it with the satellites' amps.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline jambeejay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 08:42 PM »
Mga HT gurus please advise, gusto ko kasing mag upgrade ng HT receiver from my current 5.1 to 6.1 or 7.1. What receiver best for my existing bose 201 series 5 as front, mordaunt center, wharfedale sub sw150 and bose 161 rear  I prefer more on movies. I love listening for surround sound, yun bang pakiramdam mo gumagapang sa tabi mo ung sound maybe u can help. My budget is for entry level receiver only 15 to 18k. tnx

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 11:10 PM »
Mga HT gurus please advise, gusto ko kasing mag upgrade ng HT receiver from my current 5.1 to 6.1 or 7.1. What receiver best for my existing bose 201 series 5 as front, mordaunt center, wharfedale sub sw150 and bose 161 rear  I prefer more on movies. I love listening for surround sound, yun bang pakiramdam mo gumagapang sa tabi mo ung sound maybe u can help. My budget is for entry level receiver only 15 to 18k. tnx

you might want to consider the deno 1509. i can give you a good deal on it. :)

Offline jambeejay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: Feb 23, 2009 at 05:12 PM »
can you pm the best price for onkyo tx sr506, denon avr 1509 and yamaha tx v563 all of this I believe are entry level 7.1 receiver. tnx

Offline shalashaska

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 01:42 PM »
Could you guys recommend me a good receiver to use for a PS3/Xbox 360? Also along with speakers that would be good in a 3m x 3m room... I've read in some forum that I could do better than the Logitech Z5500, which is priced at around 16k as far as I know,  with an amplifier and a set of speakers. Is that true? Can i get a good amp and a good set of speakers for 16k that would blow away the Z5500? Thanks ;D

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 02:18 PM »
Could you guys recommend me a good receiver to use for a PS3/Xbox 360? Also along with speakers that would be good in a 3m x 3m room... I've read in some forum that I could do better than the Logitech Z5500, which is priced at around 16k as far as I know,  with an amplifier and a set of speakers. Is that true? Can i get a good amp and a good set of speakers for 16k that would blow away the Z5500? Thanks ;D

It might just probably not be 5.1.

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 02:48 PM »

the very reason why i got myself in to this HT thing was my Xbox360 ....

and so i bought my Yammy RXV430 dito sa forum about two months ago .... then nasundan ng speaker .... :) unti unti ko kukumpletuhin setup ko hehehe

I see that you'll surpass the Php 16K but with research and sourcing of best deals your satisfaction i believe will be much more fuller with proper HT setup :) opinion ko lang po .....

Offline shalashaska

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 08:11 AM »
So it is kind of impossible here in the Philippines, I guess.

Offline Dorgas

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 10:17 AM »
Noob here ;D

Planning to buy a AVR 245. Primary purpose ko is para lang maging surround yung gaming experience ko sa xbox 360.

Limited din budget ko, around 20-25k.

Meron akong HTIB ng Sony DAV-DZ555K.

Question ko is, pwede ko bang ikabit sa AVR 245 yung mga speakers na kasama sa HTIB? Para lang kasi makatipid tipid hehehe ;D

Maraming talamat po ;D

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 11:19 PM »
Noob here ;D

Planning to buy a AVR 245. Primary purpose ko is para lang maging surround yung gaming experience ko sa xbox 360.

Limited din budget ko, around 20-25k.

Meron akong HTIB ng Sony DAV-DZ555K.

Question ko is, pwede ko bang ikabit sa AVR 245 yung mga speakers na kasama sa HTIB? Para lang kasi makatipid tipid hehehe ;D

Maraming talamat po ;D

pwede pero wag mo lakasan yung volume baka kasi hindi makakayanan ng mga satellite speakers yung input power ng AVR at baka mawasak pa sila.

Offline turbine

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Apr 07, 2009 at 10:07 AM »
Hi guys,

can you please suggest an a/v receiver for monitor audio rs series for ht.

thank you

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #532 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 09:54 AM »
Now sale in Western. Kenwood KRF-X9090D THX Select 2 at 14k. Six months to pay. clean sound.

Offline duffydoc

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Choosing an AV Receiverr
« Reply #533 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM »
Now sale in Western. Kenwood KRF-X9090D THX Select 2 at 14k. Six months to pay. clean sound.

Sir anong branch ng western? tnx!

Offline turbine

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 02:05 PM »
Sir,

anu po mas okay na a/v receiver yamaha o denon for monitor audio rs series set-up for ht?

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Choosing an AV Receiverr
« Reply #535 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 05:21 PM »
Sir anong branch ng western? tnx!

western festival mall branch.

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: May 10, 2009 at 12:22 AM »
selling a brand new denon 1909 for 30.8k. pm me if interested. :)

Offline mangboy

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: May 24, 2009 at 03:57 AM »
Hi guys can you help me to choose a good reciever for upgrade sana sa old set-up ko newbie to HT basta lang binili namin ito noon eh
my set up is

reciever = denon 1803
front = klipsch RF1
center = psb 2c
sur = psb 2b
sub = yamaha yst sw320
dvd player sony
blu ray sony

Many thanks in advance!

Offline guido

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
mid level amp for a newbie
« Reply #538 on: Jun 19, 2009 at 08:37 PM »
i have close to zero knowledge on this,
i have a relative coming from the US that can bring one for me and i need help from the experts
checking ebay for prices, the following falls on my budget: (300-350$)
yamaha 663 and 665
onkyo 507
Pioneer VSX-919AH-K
denon 689
?
?
still searching the net for other brands, maybe you can recommend
i realized there's a lot of features on these amps i won't use, for now
still want to buy one that won't be obsolete real fast
hope to hear from you guys. i have 2-3 weeks to decide

thanks in advance

Offline markcrenz