Author Topic: Choosing an AV Receiver  (Read 196188 times)

Offline despiopat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
yamaha rxv465
« Reply #600 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM »
hi, i'm a newbie in HT. is the yamaha rxv465 a good receiver? there is a package in 5th avenue that includes this together with a set of yamaha speakers (4 satellite and 1 subwoofer - not sure what model, but they are in black plastic casing), priced at 29,900. Is this a good deal? better than HTIBs?

Offline conch

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Choosing an AV Receiver
« Reply #601 on: Oct 03, 2009 at 05:53 PM »
Hi,

am also new here. Am looking for an upgrade to my HK AVR254. My budget is P35k. any suggestions? thanks

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #602 on: Oct 03, 2009 at 08:53 PM »
Hi,

am also new here. Am looking for an upgrade to my HK AVR254. My budget is P35k. any suggestions? thanks

you can try the new hk 255 itself. but kung ayaw mo na sa hk. i think you can get the yamaha 665 or onkyo 607 at a lower cost. denon 1910 is also worthy of a look see. goodluck.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: yamaha rxv465
« Reply #603 on: Oct 03, 2009 at 09:50 PM »
hi, i'm a newbie in HT. is the yamaha rxv465 a good receiver? there is a package in 5th avenue that includes this together with a set of yamaha speakers (4 satellite and 1 subwoofer - not sure what model, but they are in black plastic casing), priced at 29,900. Is this a good deal? better than HTIBs?

anong diff ng 465 sa 365? i think Audio and Video HD pass through pa rin sya just like the 365/363, IMO itll be better to get the 365 and use the extra to get a better set of speakers, and if you want a beefier/more feature AVR, get the 665/663 and not the 465.

the 365 i heard retails at 15.5k
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #604 on: Oct 03, 2009 at 10:38 PM »
Hi,

That's pretty new, what do you need to upgrade for? the HK AVR254 is pretty much the same as the locally available HK AVR255.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #605 on: Oct 03, 2009 at 11:48 PM »
That's pretty new, what do you need to upgrade for? the HK AVR254 is pretty much the same as the locally available HK AVR255.

Yup the 254 is the US version of the 255. 

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #606 on: Oct 04, 2009 at 01:03 AM »
Hi,

you might be intersted in the hk 355 for only 36k. :) the denon 1910 is also good. :)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #607 on: Oct 04, 2009 at 01:05 AM »
pass by the shop to check out the different receivers. i can give you a good deal on denon, hk and marantz receivers. :)

shop is located at unit 205 amaremca bldg, 107a kalayaan avenue, diliman, quezon city. :)

we're open wednesday to sunday, 11am to 8pm. :)

Offline GuyChan

• Trade Count: (+345)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #608 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 03:57 AM »
Newbie here.

If you were to decide among the following, what will you choose and why?

Onkyo TX-SR607
Onkyo TX-SR705
Yamaha - RX-V665
Yamaha - RX-V663

Price being the last deciding factor.

Thank you in advance.

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2009 at 04:04 AM by GuyChan »

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #609 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 07:10 AM »
Onkyo TX-SR607
Onkyo TX-SR705
Yamaha - RX-V665
Yamaha - RX-V663

A Denon similar to the Onkyo 705 in features. It has Audyssey MultEQ room correction technology which makes a huge difference in sound quality. Many people say that the Denon sounds better than the Onkyo, and the Denon has a lesser tendency to overheat.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline GuyChan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #610 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 10:34 AM »
A Denon similar to the Onkyo 705 in features. It has Audyssey MultEQ room correction technology which makes a huge difference in sound quality. Many people say that the Denon sounds better than the Onkyo, and the Denon has a lesser tendency to overheat.

Thank you streetsmart. What Denon model would you recommend? How much is it in the market? I will use for mainly for music and then movies.

Thank you in advance.

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #611 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 11:05 AM »
Thank you streetsmart. What Denon model would you recommend? How much is it in the market? I will use for mainly for music and then movies.

Thank you in advance.

go for the denon 2310 at least. i can give you a good deal on denon receivers. :)

Offline GuyChan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #612 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 11:55 AM »
go for the denon 2310 at least. i can give you a good deal on denon receivers. :)

thanks avshop! can you pm me a pricelist of your AV Receivers? Terms if any. Thank you. If you carry other brands, please include them as well.

Looking for HDMi capability, 7ch, " futureproof " if there's such a thing...thanks!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #613 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 03:35 PM »
I will use for mainly for music and then movies.

Thank you in advance.

music? then i think a harman kardon should be auditioned as well, i think sir avshop has the 255 and 355 in stock too, check the denon and the hk out. but for music and paired with a good set of speakers. i think the harman has the edge.  :)

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #614 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 03:51 PM »
Newbie here.

If you were to decide among the following, what will you choose and why?

Onkyo TX-SR607
Onkyo TX-SR705
Yamaha - RX-V665
Yamaha - RX-V663

Thank you in advance.

Guy.. kaka audition ko lang kahapon ng Denon 1910 & 607 using my own speaker. Actually wala sa list ko yong 607. after everything we've done.. talagang napa wow kaming lahat sa 607.. iba talaga pag nag audition ka.. sayang nga wala HK 355 para masulit talaga.

well parang tama itong sample review (http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr607-black/4864-6466_7-33553470-1.html) nakita ko dati yan links na yan before kami mag AVR audition

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #615 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 04:08 PM »
Guy.. kaka audition ko lang kahapon ng Denon 1910 & 607 using my own speaker. Actually wala sa list ko yong 607. after everything we've done.. talagang napa wow kaming lahat sa 607.. iba talaga pag nag audition ka.. sayang nga wala HK 355 para masulit talaga.

well parang tama itong sample review (http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr607-black/4864-6466_7-33553470-1.html) nakita ko dati yan links na yan before kami mag AVR audition

for both music and movies, you gave the the 607 the nod vs 1910? what speakers you use if you dont mind.  :)

btw, i am also an onkyo owner (806). but there has always been a notion that denon and hk will almost always sound better than an onlyo. kaya curious ako. thanks.

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #616 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 04:22 PM »
for both music and movies, you gave the the 607 the nod vs 1910? what speakers you use if you dont mind.  :)

btw, i am also an onkyo owner (806). but there has always been a notion that denon and hk will almost always sound better than an onlyo. kaya curious ako. thanks.

old Monitor audio B2, B4, MA Bcenter & Velo CHT10.

limang pares na tenga po ang nag vote :) .. well bitin sobra ang 1910 then when si hook up the 607 napa WOW lang naman kami.. then hindi ako maka panilawa.. pinakabit ko ulit yong 1910 talaga bitin

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #617 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 04:32 PM »

limang pares na tenga po ang nag vote :) .. well bitin sobra ang 1910 then when si hook up the 607 napa WOW lang naman kami.. then hindi ako maka panilawa.. pinakabit ko ulit yong 1910 talaga bitin

m.a. pala. good to hear. glad you finally found what your looking for. its time to enjoy.  :)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #618 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 05:46 PM »

It's not easy to do a comparison of the sq of AVR's. Among other things, you would need to:

1. Run the Auto-eq of each AVR and take note of the gain of each, where both output the same SPL.
2. Set the tone controls off.
3. Set all speakers to small and ensure that there is no "double bass" selected.
4. Set the crossovers of the speakers to the same level (between AVR's) and the LPF of the sub to 120 hz.
5. Shut off any DSP modes (hall, church, etc)

Once you've done this, run the AVR's with the gain set so that they output the same SPL. If these were done, then I think you should have been fine.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline msport366

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
help upgrading
« Reply #619 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 09:08 PM »
Hi,we have a fairly ancient HT setup comprising of pioneer VSX-505S (dolby prologic), infinity sub, wharfedale modus one three for the fronts,  modus center &   programme 30D for surround. Just recently acquired a bluray player and I think its time to upgrade the AVR since I'm missing a lot on newer tech.. but still contemplating on replacing the avr since it outputs 135W X 4 in dolby pro and its still working fine.. Your opinions pls... And which AVR would you recommend that has a fairly decent sound and yet does not cost that much..
Thanks

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: help upgrading
« Reply #620 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 10:08 PM »
Hi,we have a fairly ancient HT setup comprising of pioneer VSX-505S (dolby prologic), infinity sub, wharfedale modus one three for the fronts,  modus center &   programme 30D for surround. Just recently acquired a bluray player and I think its time to upgrade the AVR since I'm missing a lot on newer tech.. but still contemplating on replacing the avr since it outputs 135W X 4 in dolby pro and its still working fine.. Your opinions pls... And which AVR would you recommend that has a fairly decent sound and yet does not cost that much..
Thanks

try out the Hk 255 and Hk 355 receivers. They're very good. Come by the shop and compare different receivers. We Hk, Denon, marantz, and onkyo. :)

shop is located at unit 205 Amaremca bldg, 107a kalayaan avenue, diliman, quezon city. We're open Wednesday to Sunday, 11am to 8pm. :)

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
« Reply #621 on: Oct 09, 2009 at 11:34 AM »
i have small dilemna right now hope you guys can help me out

im planning to get a used AVR and these are my choices

yamaha dsp a1
onkyo 787
denon 887
denon 605

im not really into the DTS HD thing since i dont plan to get a blueray player anytime soon. so i usually watch regular dvd's. 50% for movies and 50% for audio

the yamaha and the 787 has phono inputs which will come in handy though

hope you can help me out

thanks

Offline rivertala

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #622 on: Oct 10, 2009 at 12:25 AM »
Tanong lang mga masters,

My question is.

kahit ba walang dolby true hd ang av receiver ko pero meron akong high-end dvd player which can upscale and decode dolby true hd magooutput din ba sya ng 1080p and true hd? parang pass thru lng. paki-confirm naman mga masters ???

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #623 on: Oct 11, 2009 at 01:53 AM »
sir rivertala:

Base lang po sa mga na research ko rin at mga sinabi din ng mga kaibigan natin sa pdvd, the software, the player and the receiver should all be capable of providing true hd out put otherwise you will not get it. It has to be the three.

Sir Simonzaide:

Of the choices you mentioned, DSP AZ 1 is the best but during its prime. This is a flagship AVR by YAMAHA but that was ages ago we now have YAMAHA AZ 11. Onkyo 605 was the best receiver (atleast according to reviews I read when it was released 5 stars for most reviews) taking into consideration overall parameters;features, price, built although I think the 605's greatest strenght is witn movies and not with audio. I own an ONKYO 606 and I can say it really sounds great with movies just how the review say it but there are better sounding receiver when you consider audio. But what the heck an receiver are built for movies only a dedicated audio amplifier would really soundgood in audio ;)
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline albertcp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
I want to upgrade from analog HT to Digital HT, can anyone help me where to buy quality brand of AV Receiver, its Ok even it is second hand as long it has a good performance in audio. Or what place where can I buy AV receiver that has "SALE" .....

Denon AVR -1908
Denon DVD-2930
Bose Acoustimass 10
Bose Center VCS10
Astone Media Gear AP360T

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I want to upgrade from analog HT to Digital HT, can anyone help me where to buy quality brand of AV Receiver, its Ok even it is second hand as long it has a good performance in audio. Or what place where can I buy AV receiver that has "SALE" .....

come by the shop and check out the different receivers. we have denon, hk, onkyo and marantz. :)

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
Sir albertcp;

Take the suggestion of avshop, at least you can audition the 4 different brands in one roof.  Mas madaling pumili at mag-compare.

If possible bring the your source and speaker equipments, para ma-test na rin ang synergy ng mga equipments.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
You may also want to consider the Yamaha 365, @15.5k. performs pretty well IMO. pero Denon's audyssey is really a big plus factor. ;)

try paying avshop a visit, he'd be more than willing to assist you. :)
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline marvin87

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #628 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 12:27 PM »
hi avshop,

currently choosing the "best" avr for my budget. pa PM nman po ng available avr's with prices not exceeding 25k. thanks in advance! :)

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #629 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 07:38 PM »
hi avshop,

currently choosing the "best" avr for my budget. pa PM nman po ng available avr's with prices not exceeding 25k. thanks in advance! :)

sent you pm :)