Author Topic: Choosing an AV Receiver  (Read 196290 times)

Offline albertcp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Choosing an AV Receiver
« Reply #630 on: Oct 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM »
f i had that budget ill go for  marantz4500 for 17500 on sale @5th ave or yamaha 450 for17500(not sure)@ ambassador Smiley..me sukli ka pa pambili ng dvd  Grin .happy hunting bro

Thank for the all the information, i've scout Denon 1908 for 17K , what is better DENON 1908 or MARANTZ4500? (any advantage and disadvantage base on your actual experience)

Any have the CONTACT NUMBER of Ambassador @ Spectra (because im far from Makati)

Thanks to avshop recommendation & advise and to all give inputs & who offers , Also it is good that in this forum it include the contact number for fast transaction.

Thanks here's my number (0916-3183079)
Denon AVR -1908
Denon DVD-2930
Bose Acoustimass 10
Bose Center VCS10
Astone Media Gear AP360T

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #631 on: Oct 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM »
i once had the marantz 4500. and it is a very good receiver for the price. it will partner best with easy to drive speakers though, like my gale(s) that i used it with. other brands that come to mind are mordaunt short, ms carnival series, mission mv-series, and maybe a wharfe 9.1/9.cs combo.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #632 on: Oct 21, 2009 at 06:58 PM »
Here's my non-expert advise in choosing a receiver.

Choose the model with more power as much as possible. If you have money to buy a brand new 607, why not look for an alternative like buying a pre-owned 805 at the same price. As per experience with receivers of different brands & models, lower-end models equipped w/ new technologies DOES NOT EQUATE the power of higher-end older models. In other words, the more power, the better! Lets put it this way, I have this Denon 789/1909 that can internally decode lossless codecs, the quality of sound it produces cannot beat the Marantz SR6001, Denon 3806, Yamaha 1700, HK 347, Onkyo 804 & the non-HDMI HK 635. Though negligible difference vs. the Denon 887. It is good to see the receiver displaying " Dolby TruHD, DTS MA" whenever you play lossless codecs but thats just it. Of course it's totally different story if you have the extra money to buy high-end new models like the Denon 3310, Onkyo 876. Please note that I am not giving this advise because i have receivers for sale at the marketplace. You can look around, visit reputable distributors here in the Philippines and ask (better if you compare side-by side) for older but higher end models. Iwasan na ang SARS ngayong 2010, Iba na ang usong sakit ngayon!  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM by nogie »

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #633 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 04:32 AM »
^ (+1) me likey your HK 635 sa marketplace  ;D

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #634 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM »
^ (+1) me likey your HK 635 sa marketplace  ;D

Actually if I rank my AVR preference, HK & Marantz top my list. They're both unbeatable in audio mas maganda lang ng konti yong marantz sa movies.  ;)

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #635 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 04:45 PM »
Actually if I rank my AVR preference, HK & Marantz top my list. They're both unbeatable in audio mas maganda lang ng konti yong marantz sa movies.  ;)

Yup. These are some fine selections in the marketplace right now.

HK 635
Cambridge Azur 640R
Onkyo 875

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #636 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 05:37 PM »

Choose the model with more power as much as possible. If you have money to buy a brand new 607, why not look for an alternative like buying a pre-owned 805 at the same price. As per experience with receivers of different brands & models, lower-end models equipped w/ new technologies DOES NOT EQUATE the power of higher-end older models. In other words, the more power, the better! Lets put it this way, I have this Denon 789/1909 that can internally decode lossless codecs, the quality of sound it produces cannot beat the Marantz SR6001, Denon 3806, Yamaha 1700, HK 347, Onkyo 804 & the non-HDMI HK 635. Though negligible difference vs. the Denon 887. It is good to see the receiver displaying " Dolby TruHD, DTS MA" whenever you play lossless codecs but thats just it. Of course it's totally different story if you have the extra money to buy high-end new models like the Denon 3310, Onkyo 876. Please note that I am not giving this advise because i have receivers for sale at the marketplace. You can look around, visit reputable distributors here in the Philippines and ask (better if you compare side-by side) for older but higher end models. Iwasan na ang SARS ngayong 2010, Iba na ang usong sakit ngayon!  ;D

+1 i agree with sir nogie on this when purchasing a receiver you have to go think about long term na so saving up a little extra wouldnt be so bad kesa buying something and selling it palugi to upgrade in the long run

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 08:08 PM »
Don't skimp on receiver.  Make sure the one you'll purchased should last you at least 5 years.  No to SARS!

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #638 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 05:08 PM »
I'm considering a Denon 2310.  Should I consider something else?

(At around the same ballpark price)
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline babed95

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 09:25 AM »
ewan ko meron pa yatang marantz sr3001 for 12k yata sa theater worx 7.1 na sya maganda rin bang for the buck pa and you got the best of both world audio and video.

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #640 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 09:41 AM »
I'm considering a Denon 2310.  Should I consider something else?

(At around the same ballpark price)

Denon 2310 is pretty decent mid-level receiver. You can also check Onkyo 806, they are of the same price range if not mistaken. Basta iwasan mo ang entry level receivers para iwas SARS!  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2009 at 09:41 AM by nogie »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #641 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 09:45 AM »
What's a good receiver to drive diy_master's proac clones? Looking for a 2.1 setup to start. Since it's for my mom, I'd like a more user-friendly device.

Offline bhudz

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #642 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 12:34 PM »
Sirs,

What is good avr under 25K?

Thanks

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #643 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 07:14 PM »
Sirs,

What is good avr under 25K?

Thanks

check out the denon 1610. the srp is only 24k. i can give you good deals on denon and hk receivers. :)

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #644 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM »
Denon 2310 is pretty decent mid-level receiver. You can also check Onkyo 806, they are of the same price range if not mistaken. Basta iwasan mo ang entry level receivers para iwas SARS!  ;D

ano ano po ba mga entry level?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #645 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 12:47 PM »
ano ano po ba mga entry level?

for onkyo the 500 series. the onkyo's 600 series is really in between, some consider them entry level too. for harman kardon the 150 series. for denon it would be 1600 series. yamaha, it will be the 460 and 560 series.

Offline bhudz

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #646 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 01:01 PM »
check out the denon 1610. the srp is only 24k. i can give you good deals on denon and hk receivers. :)

Sir, where is your location?

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #647 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 05:28 PM »
What's a good receiver to drive diy_master's proac clones? Looking for a 2.1 setup to start then move to surround later on. Since it's for my mom, I'd like a more user-friendly device.

Reposting the question.  Thanks!

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #648 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 06:04 PM »
for onkyo the 500 series. the onkyo's 600 series is really in between, some consider them entry level too. for harman kardon the 150 series. for denon it would be 1600 series. yamaha, it will be the 460 and 560 series.

yari.. ma sars ako nito... 607 nakuha ko HAHAHHA

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #649 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 07:06 PM »
yari.. ma sars ako nito... 607 nakuha ko HAHAHHA

ok na yan sir. its a very good model already. and all the bells and whistles are all there already. if your room is not very big, then the avr's receiver should be enough to drive your chosen speakers.  :)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #650 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 07:11 PM »
What's a good receiver to drive diy_master's proac clones? Looking for a 2.1 setup to start. Since it's for my mom, I'd like a more user-friendly device.

does your mom listen to radio a lot. or you are setting this up for her to play cds. if its for cds, then why dont you try a two channel integrated amp, you can try cambridge or marantz. great for two channel listening, and i think it will work well with the sir anthony's clone. and i think it easier to operate than receivers (for moms).

you can also choose this (integrated) if your mom listens to radio but you have to buy a tuner for it, and it may now turn out to be more expensive than the receiver route.

but if you really want a receiver, i think an entry level yamaha receiver (rx465 perhaps) can be enough to drive those clones. and yamahas have a lot of music dsp for those music listening moments.

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #651 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:01 AM »
Ano mas warm / laid back marantz or denon?  let's say both entry level amp?

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #652 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 03:27 PM »
does your mom listen to radio a lot. or you are setting this up for her to play cds. if its for cds, then why dont you try a two channel integrated amp, you can try cambridge or marantz. great for two channel listening, and i think it will work well with the sir anthony's clone. and i think it easier to operate than receivers (for moms).

you can also choose this (integrated) if your mom listens to radio but you have to buy a tuner for it, and it may now turn out to be more expensive than the receiver route.

but if you really want a receiver, i think an entry level yamaha receiver (rx465 perhaps) can be enough to drive those clones. and yamahas have a lot of music dsp for those music listening moments.

Thanks! 

I'm having second thoughts on many of my original choices as I saw Tannoy Mercury F4's being sold cheap along with a Marantz SR3001. :)

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #653 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 07:20 PM »

Well said, power first before technology upgrades... what's the use of additional features if you cant feel its performance in your own room? ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #654 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 07:54 PM »
Well said, power first before technology upgrades... what's the use of additional features if you cant feel its performance in your own room? ;)

kaya lang it took me a while and lots of investment to figure this out. ;D no wonder why you still keep your "KICK ASS" yammy dsp a1 receiver. kahit pre-owned mahal pa rin yan! ;D

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #655 on: Nov 17, 2009 at 10:14 PM »
anyone interested in the new hk 660 and hk 760? coming soon. :)

Offline sonofgtg

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #656 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 11:13 PM »
hi mga sir, ok po ba yung reciver na akai 4300?for ps3 and dvd videoke sana..malakas na kaya output nito? eto po yung link: http://www.akai.com/product_detail.asp?id=3&id2=17&id3=54  thank you..
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009 at 05:56 AM by iiinas »
PSN ID: sonofgtg

Offline neorm2k

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #657 on: Nov 23, 2009 at 08:28 AM »
Hi Guys,

Can someone comment on the product Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K.. please

I am impress with the review and the price.. kasya sa budget.. hehe

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k/4505-6466_7-33496205.html?tag=mncol;lst

Can someone know where can I buy this item? or any body here selling it?

Offline javauser

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #658 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 03:05 PM »
by the way, big difference ba talaga ang Dolby Digital sa Dolby TrueHD, and DTS sa DTS HD?

I actually have an existing Outlaw 1050 kasi which supports DTS and Dolby Digital. I don't know if I'm really missing out, and if I should really upgrade.
Optoma HD33
Denon AVR-X4000
KEF R500
KEF R200C
KEF R100
KEF LS50
SVS PB12NSD
www.activelearning.ph

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #659 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 07:11 AM »
by the way, big difference ba talaga ang Dolby Digital sa Dolby TrueHD, and DTS sa DTS HD?

Based on blind tests conducted by Pinoydvd members, there is little difference if you are watching a film. There is a bigger difference if you are watching a concert.

I actually have an existing Outlaw 1050 kasi which supports DTS and Dolby Digital. I don't know if I'm really missing out, and if I should really upgrade.

More than lossless audio, I find that the value of the newer AVR's is in their video processing, room correction technology such as Audyssey and their bass management.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.