Author Topic: Choosing an AV Receiver  (Read 196042 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Choosing an AV Receiver
« Reply #660 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 10:10 AM »
May I know what new receivers out there have multichannel PRE-OUTs?  TIA.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #661 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM »
for onkyo's, starting with 705, 706, 707, 805, 806, 807, 875, 876 all have multichannel pre-outs. of course all the high end models will have them too.

for yamaha's starting 663, 665 up.

for the denon's, multichannel pre-outs will only appear on the 3310 up.

Offline bortnort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
20k Budget for RECEIVER and/or SUB
« Reply #662 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 01:03 PM »
Newbie Help

I have a Playstation 3 and 2 Bose front speakers already (newbie, sorry, I still don't know what those are called and their model). I plan to stay within the 2.1(priority) to 5.1(max) area.

What do you recommend for Receivers and Subs for this (20k) budget?

Should I go for DTS-HD because of the Playstation? Or should i just stay with older models? This will be used mostly for Playstation and Movies/Shows/TV. Seems like I won't be needing an upconverter because the Playstation 3 does that.

Once I have the 2.1 set up, I don't think i will update to 5.1 soon. But if my receiver can be prepared for these (upconversion and DTS-HD) and fit the budget, I would not mind.

What do you guys think?

Your inputs, with me being a noob, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Offline bortnort

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: 20k Budget for RECEIVER and/or SUB
« Reply #663 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 01:14 PM »
Sub can wait...

Kahit best bang for my buck receiver muna...

Thanks again!!!

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #664 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 01:26 PM »
i reco new model entry level denon receiver, think this is within your budget

Offline bortnort

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #665 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 01:34 PM »
Thanks Eksi. Much Appreciated.

What entry level Denon models do you recommend? I'll research specs and price. A personal Christmas gift of some sort =)

i reco new model entry level denon receiver, think this is within your budget

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #666 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 03:29 PM »
I bought my receiver second hand, but in excellent condition for 12.5k. You should be able to find more than capable HK, Denon or Onkyo 5.1 receivers in the sub-20k range, easily, just don't go for the newest or top of the line models. For example, you won't need an HDMI receiver since the PS3 audio can be connected to your receiver via optical cable (and keep the HDMI or component video straight to your TV).

If you upgrade later, consider replacing your Bose satellites with better, even just entry-level bookshelf speakers. A pair of Wharfedale 9.1's shouldn't cost more than 8thou. Later, you can pair them with rear speakers, or buy pair of floorstanders for the front and then use the bookshelves as rears.

With a good pair of floorstanders as fronts, you won't even really need a sub except if you really want rumble and LFE (low frequency).

But a good receiver can last you for years, and will start paying off immediately.

Offline jarod

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #667 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 07:05 PM »
Very sound advice sir alistair.

I hope bortnort would not mind but what specific models for the said receivers would you mind suggesting for? For newbies like myself, I tried reading as much info as I can but suggestions from experienced users is really a goldmine.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #668 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 08:19 PM »
I can't help blurt out that you'll never realize the advantage of Dolby TrueHD or DTS MasterAudio on Bose speakers.  Not even uncompressed LPCM from your PS3. 

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #669 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 09:22 PM »
try denon 1910 sir..will serve you for the years to come.

but hopefully upgrade your speakers sir agad..sayang nga lang if Bose gamitin mo ika nga ni sir avphile

Offline bortnort

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #670 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 11:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

This will actually be (hopefully it pushes thru) my first set up. So I'm a newbie, literally. Learning everything as I go. The Bose Speakers are just hand-me-downs so I can't complain, yet, until I get a receiver and for sure I'll realize "These speakers suck!"  ;D

I was also actually hesitant to buy second hand and not up-to-date receivers because:

1. i think they won't have any resale value (when i want to upgrade)
2. they might break down on me quicker (since i watch tv and play ps3 all night, every night)
3. i honestly don't know where to look, what to look for, and what i'll be needing.

I guess i should start with model suggestions.

What model of Onkyo, Yamaha, or Denon should I get that's worthy?

I was actually eying the Onkyo TX-SR507 or the 606. Bnew though.

I'm not really sure what reliable 2nd hand models or brands there are so i'm pretty much winging it.

Offline smitfraud

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #671 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 07:35 PM »
Mga Sir help kung anong mas ok sa dalawa:

Yamaha RX-V350 or Pioneer VSX-519-k?
Yamaha RX-V350 =2nd hand 6500
Pioneer VSX-519-k = Brand new 15999

thanks

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #672 on: Dec 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM »
the new hk avr 160 now available for audition. :)

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Pls help me find a suitable receiver
« Reply #673 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 12:02 PM »
Hi Guys. Hope you can help me find a suitable receiver with the following features:

1) With digital optical audio in (preferrably 2 inputs)
2) connections for 5 speakers (front, center, surround) and 2 passive subs
3) maximum of 130 watts per channel (yun ang rating ng JVC speakers ko)
4) HDMI in and out (optional)
5) Budget between 7K-15K

I earlier saw a Pioneer receiver that almost met all the specs. Problem lang is that it can only accommodate active subs.

Sa present setup ko kasi, if I play dvd's sa JVC DXU10 ko, multichannel ang sound, but when I hook it up sa bluray player, hanggang ProLogic II lang kasi analog ang aux audio inputs (rca). Unless may paraan to convert the analog inputs to digital optical inputs (pero mukhang mission impossible ito).

Thanks.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Pls help me find a suitable receiver
« Reply #674 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 06:20 PM »
Most receivers only have active sub outs. When hooking up passive subs, you normally wire them to the front L/R speaker outs and let a passive LPF take out the highs (and preferrably run a HPF for your other front speaks).

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #675 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM »
Are you trying to use HTiB speakers with a separate receiver? Not adviseable, either you have problems with the sub freq and power or you'll barely hear the difference.

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #676 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 02:13 PM »
Are you trying to use HTiB speakers with a separate receiver? Not adviseable, either you have problems with the sub freq and power or you'll barely hear the difference.

Yes. I'll be using JVC speakers from my system. Is there a way to convert a passive sub to active sub using an amp or similar device?

Offline Othan

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #677 on: Jan 12, 2010 at 10:26 PM »
noob question

i have a nextbase dvd upscaling but it has no DTS decoder.  if i buy an AVR with DTS decoder, hook the player thru hdmi or optical, will i hear a DTS sound?  paanoong setup gagawin?

TIA

by the way, i have an old Pioneer Linear power KAZZE Speakers with 8ohms and 100W max output, and i'm planning use it as front speakers, what other speakers (low budget) na pwedeng center, surrounds and subwoofer?  im contemplatting to buy wharfedale WH-2 surrounds and center, and a jamo SW.

Thanks again

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #678 on: Jan 15, 2010 at 08:46 PM »
I doubt if your JVC "subwoofers" can go low enough.  But what you can do is make your JVC act as an amplifier for its subwoofer. 

Get the new HTIB you want that can accept your BD player's HMDI output.  Just make sure the speaker impedances match between the JVC speakers (L/R, front/rear and center) and the new HTIB.  Then connect the sub out of the new HTIB to your JVC aux input using a Y-RCA to slit the mono sub signal to two for your JVC's aux stereo input. 

Offline amilson

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #679 on: Jan 20, 2010 at 07:15 PM »
hi guys can you help me choose a  av i have a 20-25k budget and im choosing between the onkyo 507 and denon 1610. which one is better or you could suggest anything else. thanks in advance im going to use it on a tsi 300 standers

Offline maxiadrian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #680 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM »
Guys, newbie here when it comes to audio,

Need suggestions on a good receiver. budget is 10k below. I will be partnering it for Kumyoung Vivaus Pro II, PS3 and Xtreamer. so far, nagcacanvass pa lang ako ng speakers. maliit lang naman ang sala namin, 11.5ft x 10.5 ft. im thinking of a two speaker setup plus one active subwoofer... Need recommendations from the gurus. thanks :)

Offline dj

• Collector
  • "be better, be happy"
  • Liked:
« Reply #681 on: Feb 05, 2010 at 01:53 PM »
mga sir saw an onkyo ht-r500 ito din ata yung onkyo tx-sr500 minus the speaker package, selling for P4,000.00 pesos w/out the speakers. pwede na kaya sya? or mahal sya?

thank you!

dj
panasonic 50c10
harman/kardon avr 335
wharfedale diamond 9s
dtx
samsung
pensonic
measy e8hd

Offline bebot santos

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Collector
  • Lutheran Rules!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #682 on: Feb 05, 2010 at 03:37 PM »
mga sir saw an onkyo ht-r500 ito din ata yung onkyo tx-sr500 minus the speaker package, selling for P4,000.00 pesos w/out the speakers. pwede na kaya sya? or mahal sya?

thank you!

dj

If it is tsxr 500 its a good buy for 4k! grab it.

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #683 on: Feb 05, 2010 at 04:59 PM »

thank you!

dj

good buy na yan mas mahal pa ata ang konzert ;)
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline dj

• Collector
  • "be better, be happy"
  • Liked:
« Reply #684 on: Feb 06, 2010 at 11:46 AM »
thank you for the inputs try ko na lang tawaran sabi kasi kahapon may last price pa. may kasama na rin problem pagbinili ko wala kapartner na speakers hehehehe.

dj
panasonic 50c10
harman/kardon avr 335
wharfedale diamond 9s
dtx
samsung
pensonic
measy e8hd

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #685 on: Feb 06, 2010 at 04:56 PM »
If you upgrade later, consider replacing your Bose satellites with better, even just entry-level bookshelf speakers. A pair of Wharfedale 9.1's shouldn't cost more than 8thou.

Depends on what Bose speakers he has. Am not a Bose fan but am not a Wharf fan either. Most Bose speakers I've heard sound a lot better than the Wharf 9.1 IMHO.

Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Penguin45

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Please help me choose
« Reply #686 on: Feb 13, 2010 at 02:53 AM »
I'm finally getting my first receiver soon. If only looking at the performance and features, which would you recommend, the Onkyo TX-SR707 or the Denon AVR-1910? I will be using it mostly for movies.

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
Re: Please help me choose
« Reply #687 on: Feb 13, 2010 at 08:03 AM »
I'm finally getting my first receiver soon. If only looking at the performance and features, which would you recommend, the Onkyo TX-SR707 or the Denon AVR-1910? I will be using it mostly for movies.

1910 is not in the same league as onkyo 707, so definitely 707 is the way to go.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Please help me choose
« Reply #688 on: Feb 13, 2010 at 09:02 AM »

what i usually do before purchasing a receiver is do a side by side comparison and try to determine if the fetaures of the receivers i compare are sometime i would really need, significant cost difference are driven by some feautres that one receiver has over the other but if you dont need it, why bother. after doing the side by side comparison, i will auditon and listen to how it sound prefereably with the same speaker i have or something similar

after doing both excercises, i will decide according to my preference

was able to listen to a 1910 and was impressed by how it sounded both for movies and audio, IMHO, it sounded a tad better to my Onkyo606 in the audio part but in the movie part, the 606 has more punch and power,  i believe the 707 is a higher model than 606 so if our ears would have the same preference, then it must be 707 for you.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Penguin45

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #689 on: Feb 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM »
@gutierrez and @Onkyo606, thanks for the input. I guess the Onkyo TX-SR707 it is. Now to go over to the speakers section to get some speaker sugestions. Thanks again!