Author Topic: Choosing an AV Receiver  (Read 196297 times)

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Choosing an AV Receiver
« Reply #810 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 10:38 PM »
Sir warmaster, I notice is that your list is getting longer instead of shorter  ;).

Have you tried auditioning how those receivers sound?  Maybe if you hear them in action, the decision would be easier.

haha. di naman. sa ngayon 2 na lang pinagpipilian ko pioneer's vsx 520 or the onkyo hts 3300. both of them have what i need, hdmi repeater and hd audio. i'm no audiophile so as long as may clarity yung each channels i'm fine. exciting lang yung mga pssobilities sa pagpasok ng newer generation of avrs.

btw, how do you make an audition and have a valid comparison from different shops (different listening environment) and with different setups (different speakers). i'm just starting to get into this hobby so whatever i sink my teeth into should last me a while. and based on reviews online, i think i should be satisfied with either choice. but as you say, gotta hear them perform live (parang rock bands lang)

on a side note: i was able to hear the vsx 520 playing iron man 2 at some appliance store which was the reason for me dumping the speaker bar idea  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011 at 10:40 PM by warmaster »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #811 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 10:41 PM »

btw, how do you make an audition and have a valid comparison from different shops (different listening environment) and with different setups (different speakers).

its really better to go to a shop that offers almost all the options you want. i suggest sights and sounds or avshop. they both carry the main lines for receiver like denon, onkyo and for speakers they also both carry the notable ones like polk and wharfedale

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #812 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 10:54 PM »
exciting lang yung mga pssobilities sa pagpasok ng newer generation of avrs.
newer model means a higher price tag, unless you're waiting for older models to drop their prices.  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #813 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 01:01 AM »
Guys, meron ba sa inyo nakagamit na ng Pioneer VSX-D912K?  Please share your own review 'coz am having difficulty running it's sub to fullest booming experience.  I recently bought Pilyo's Amp4v2 but no effect.

Based on other reviews from the net, Pio had made this HT sub part boomy only during movie play but not on music.  The question is, how can I utilize Mr Pilyo's sub amp when my Pioneer can't do it? 

Many tnx for your inputs.  8)

I think you're in the wrong thread. I suggest setting your speakers to small to enable bass management.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #814 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 10:10 AM »
on a side note: i was able to hear the vsx 520 playing iron man 2 at some appliance store which was the reason for me dumping the speaker bar idea  ;D

That's good to know.

That's how you shorten a list.

btw, how do you make an audition and have a valid comparison from different shops (different listening environment) and with different setups (different speakers). i'm just starting to get into this hobby so whatever i sink my teeth into should last me a while. and based on reviews online, i think i should be satisfied with either choice. but as you say, gotta hear them perform live (parang rock bands lang)

That's a good question.  The ideal audition would be to test the gear in your own home, but it's unlikely that shops would allow us to do that.

Auditions under different conditions would naturally give you wide variations, but we'll have to make do with the options available to us.  

However, you can still have a good idea about how the receiver performs even if you auditon in different shops.  Notice that you haven't actually tested a speaker bar in your own home, yet you're already sure you're not going to like it.

After googling in 2002, I was sure that I was going to like a Onkyo-B&W combination.  I auditioned them at the B&W showroom (which uses Onkyo receivers).  Surprisingly, I didn't like them.  Personal preference, I guess.    

Sometimes, mistakes are unavoidable.  If you think you made a wrong receiver choice, just sell it here and try again.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2011 at 10:14 AM by barrister »

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #815 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 10:23 AM »

Sometimes, mistakes are unavoidable.  If you think you made a wrong receiver choice, just sell it here and try again.

Some shops will allow you to return and upgrade to a different receiver within days of purchase. I first got a Denon 1611 that was underpowered for my speakers so I returned it after two days and got the Onkyo 608 (from Sights and Sounds).
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #816 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 10:30 AM »
Ibang klase talaga ang S&S.

I don't think any other shop would do that.  They have the right to refuse the exchange if the receiver is not defective.

Maybe S&S appreciates that the only way to know for sure is to test the receiver in your own environment.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2011 at 10:40 AM by barrister »

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #817 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 08:49 PM »
just thinking what will happen to the unit that was returned in exchange for another model.. will they resell it for the same srp? if they consider it as 'open box unit' and sell it for less, hindi po ba sila malulugi nun? curious lang po how it works?
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #818 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 10:12 PM »
was at automatic center trinoma kanina and heard the vsx 520 paired with the todoroki 5 speaker system. it was playing some concert and ok naman yung tunog niya. wasn't able to fully hear the potential of the vsx 520 and the todoroki speakers dahil wala yung salesperson. naka break ata or something. may feedback ba kayo dun sa todoroki speakers matched with the vsx 520 or any other reciever for that matter?

Offline stalkermania

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #819 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 10:57 PM »
still confused... what shall I purchase?  ???

Pioneer VSX-820K or Onkyo TX-SR508?

Whadya think?

Offline pa3ck608

• DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #820 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 11:07 PM »
still confused... what shall I purchase?  ???

Pioneer VSX-820K or Onkyo TX-SR508?

Whadya think?

pareho maganda yan bro, identical din ang price.sa speaker pairing na yan magkakatalo

Offline stalkermania

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #821 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 11:26 PM »
pareho maganda yan bro, identical din ang price.sa speaker pairing na yan magkakatalo

What's your suggested speaker combination with both AVRs?
I will only go for entry level speakers.
Do you have a list in mind?

Offline pa3ck608

• DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #822 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 11:35 PM »
What's your suggested speaker combination with both AVRs?
I will only go for entry level speakers.
Do you have a list in mind?
820 - wharf diamond 9/10
508 - polk tsi/klipsch synergy/polk m

Offline stalkermania

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #823 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 11:43 PM »
what do you think will happen if I will go for Onkyo 508 and use Wharfedale 10 for my speakers?

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #824 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 06:00 AM »
Choose your receiver first. Then go around and bring your receiver when auditioning speakers. Mas handy dalhin yung receiver.  ;D

Try Anthony's A-audio speakers too. Best bang for the buck speakers. :)
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline stalkermania

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #825 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 07:25 AM »
San ba yung location ni A-Audio?
I have read the thread and I only remember 2 classes of his speakers, the Ezra and Genesis?
Are there more classes? What are their technical differences?

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #826 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 07:53 AM »
He is offering several speakers, from pure audio to HT set-up. May entry level din at high end. South area siya somewhere in Taguig. Tawagan mo na lang siya. Madali naman siyang kausap depende kung ano yung kailangan mo. Look for his number in his FS thread;D
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline stalkermania

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #827 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 08:24 AM »
I've located his number. thanks

Offline exomars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #828 on: Jan 10, 2011 at 06:52 PM »
just thinking what will happen to the unit that was returned in exchange for another model.. will they resell it for the same srp? if they consider it as 'open box unit' and sell it for less, hindi po ba sila malulugi nun? curious lang po how it works?

:D ..definitely it's the seller's business...no need to worry.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #829 on: Jan 11, 2011 at 08:07 AM »

I think he also wants to know if the seller just tapes up the box and passes it off as new.  In that case, it's the buyer who worries.

Offline epectos

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #830 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 08:44 AM »
magtatanong lang po mga master. anong magandang reciever sa klipsch synergy 2 ko?

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #831 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM »
magtatanong lang po mga master. anong magandang reciever sa klipsch synergy 2 ko?

Denon or the newer receivers of (2010 models) Onkyo. The Denon will sound warmer which would "tame" the bright sound of Klipsch. Pwede rin NAD but they are pricey.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline epectos

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #832 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 06:11 PM »
Denon or the newer receivers of (2010 models) Onkyo. The Denon will sound warmer which would "tame" the bright sound of Klipsch. Pwede rin NAD but they are pricey.
hindi po ba bright din ang onkyo? im thinking of onkyo 608 or 508 nga sana pero sabi nila baka masyado ng bright pag onkyo.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #833 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 07:05 PM »
hindi po ba bright din ang onkyo? im thinking of onkyo 608 or 508 nga sana pero sabi nila baka masyado ng bright pag onkyo.

bright and warm sounding i feel sometimes become subjective too. there are times people would say that this receiver is bright but another set of people would say the same receiver is warm, form my end, i really do not have a technical understanding of what the two means. wheter the receiver is bright or warm sounding, there will always be ways to tune the sound quality to something that would suite you, receiver nowadays come with these kind of features making them really flexible.

i just metioned the above to perhaps narrow down your choices and determine finally whicc direction to take, if this has not done so, only way to know is to audition

we have many kind sellers that have klipsch speakers that you can audition using either denon, onkyo or perhaps haramn kardon too. if you get lucky enough, maybe a yamaha as well.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #834 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 07:31 PM »

The 508 and 608 have brighter sound compared to the Denons but they are considered less bright than previous models. Read my Sig I have a 608 matched with Klipsch speakers.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #835 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 09:19 PM »
i read a post before re: best match is a "warm" receiver + "bright" speakers.  (or is it the other way around)   :)

but like what bro tirso said

bright and warm sounding i feel sometimes become subjective too.

there will always be ways to tune the sound quality to something that would suite you, receiver nowadays come with these kind of features making them really flexible.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2011 at 09:20 PM by ninjababez® »
ninjababez online ..

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #836 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 09:25 PM »
i read a post before re: best match is a "warm" receiver + "bright" speakers.  (or is it the other way around)   :)

but like what bro tirso said

kahit baliktad brader, as in bright receiver + warm speakers. unless you want really warm or bright sound, mixing warm and bright will hopefully create a "neutral" sound which is generally the best of both worlds ika nga, hindi nakakapagod pakinggan but the details are still there for us to appreciate.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #837 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 09:59 PM »
thanks kagawad  :)
sakin kasi ngayon, warm + warm  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline epectos

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #838 on: Jan 19, 2011 at 11:16 PM »
thanks mga master. siguro onkyo 608 nalang kukunin ko. need ko rin ng surround kaya lang phase out na ang s2. un ang dko pa alam kung ano bibilin ko.

Offline runjel

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #839 on: Jan 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM »
ask ko lang po.. im looking for cheap av receiver eh.. budget is 20k po. may problem din po
someone gave us a set of speaker po eh.. mukhang ginawa lang siya.. wala pong label.. di ko po malamang
un wattage kasi ang pagkakaintindi ko po may comptability sa mga amplifier po di ba?.. paano ko po masolusyonan yun hehehe