Author Topic: Paradigm Speakers  (Read 154075 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Paradigm Speakers
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 09:46 AM »
Did not see this  thread when shopping around for speakers.  Here is my experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok.....Sight and sounds and the shop next door "paradigm" are both owned by the same guy.  Very nice fellow. As you may know Sights and sounds sells B&W,Wharfdale, missions,Jamo, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, and the rest. Paradigm promotes (prodominantly) there own gear. (And with so much good competition out there I often wondered why) Today I wanted to demo the Wharfdale Evo2-30 the b&W  603 and the  Paradigm monitor 7.  Sights and sound manamanagmentment tried to ge the wharf evos but could not so it was a head to head only. So we hooked up the monitor 7 on channel A and B&W on channel B.   Or was it the other way around...no matter.  We listened first to 2 movie segments...Hero,and  daredevil  switching back and forth  time  and time again. And according to my wife it was no contest and in my opinion she was right hands down.  But before rushing to final judgment we then played in stereo mode View from the vaultII. Now this has never been a favorite show of mine ( some good moments no doubt but in general I think it is fair at best) but the quality is so clean and crisp it is great for comparison. We jammed Help>Slip>Franklins at least three times....again jumping from channel A to B constantly. The clear winner was the monitor 7.  I mean honestly....the B&W was not even in the same ball park.  ( In the back of my mind I am now wondering if this  fight was rigged).  But both salesman I spoke to previously said the monitor 7 was a better speaker. Better than the B&W and the Wharfdale   

And not for nothing...but I thought the Wharf diamond 9 series I demoed a few days back sounded better than the B&W as well.

dudes....just my humble opinion.  Of all the demos thus far.....am most impressed with the monitor 7.

Also demoed the paradigm ADP 370 surround and must say they sounded real good.   

Maybe this is why "paradigm" chooses to predominantly sell its own gear?

Now does any one out there have the experience to tell me what they think about this head to head and are you surprized about the results?

DISCUSS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
am pretty tired as it has been a long long day but wanted to keep you updated in "real time".

As you know I am no Audiophile and would be hard pressed to find the vocabulary to compare the  products I am demoing  so please put up with my novice approach. 

Firstly.....a few hic ups today.  Not enough speaker wire in the truck.  They were to bring a spool but they only brought 20 meters when needing 25-30 . ...oh well.....

Bought some speaker brackets from perfect vision which would have been great....but the back of the atoms/titans are a polymer type resin not wood so to drill a hole was not recommended. The ADP 370 surround dipole was also of the same polymer substance on the back so again could not drill( and the bracket that the 370 comes with is not adjustable ...having said that... Never should have bought  brackets in the first place as Paradigm provides  a swivel bracket mount upon request for both the atom and the titan..DUH!    So no worries here.  Must  order them. Unfortunatley for me the Paradigm supplier is closed till Jan 2 or 3

Unwrap the Onkyo and the black one I ordered turned silver ....no biggy the demo will go on!!!!

Set up the speakers with the Atom as surrounds.  The titan is just a bit too big as I feared with my limited head room and space. 

Unwrapped the Denon  receiver and thought it looked great.  Powered it up and the sound was real clean with the few CD's I played..  At 110 watts per channel I  thought this baby was about to blow me out of the water but must say....it did not. ( These are CD's that I and family had listened to many a time for many a year.).  System sounded real good though. Went on to some movie clips to see how the surrounds would work and they did the trick.  Speakers and receiver seemed to go pretty well with each other. Played a live Rock concert on DVD which is crystal clear in respect to quality.   Like the 90 watt Denon I auditioned in the paradigm shop I slowly cranked it up to  full volume. Was really surprised when the volume indicator stopped moving.    I was looking for the additional 10 watts you had recommended to me before).  Must also say that on the highest volume the speakers seemed to break up...got  muddy...and I was huffing and puffing with what I hoped was Adrenalin.  Unfortunately the Adrenalin was really ....well......dissapointment.     My son looked at me and said....that didn't sound to good there dad.   Asked myself Why were the monitor 7's  whimpering out?

Decided to give the Onkyo a try.  As soon as I put on the same DVD at low levels I noticed a major difference in the body and tone of the music.  Raised the volume  higher and higher and as I did the smile on my face  got bigger and bigger. Cranked up the music to about 90% which was louder than the Denon at full volume and had no break up or muddy sound.  Clear as a bell it was. Cranked up the volume to full and it sounded real good.....no distortion at all.  Tossed on the "red hot Chili peppers live at Slain Castle and it was killer.   Wife and kids came right out and said the Onkyo was better for them.  In my opinuion it was also better for me...big time! Very different than the Denon...much more Alive and open....and more powerful to boot.  Proceeded to listen to the same CD's as before of Usher (to test the sub) some rock, and even some pop (Madonna for the wife) and it was all kick Asssss take no prisoners.   

Am happy with the Paradigm speakers and am pleased with the Onkyo.  The combo to "my ears" seems to be the "REAL DEAL"!

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 01:28 PM »
Are these speakers available at the Shang Paradigm store? Yung Cinema series with the stands? Thanks.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Cinema/Cinema_Series.html
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2007 at 03:32 PM »
Are these speakers available at the Shang Paradigm store? Yung Cinema series with the stands? Thanks.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Cinema/Cinema_Series.html

I suggest you call them and ask .   634 1789..ask for paul or the owner victor chua.

Have a great day and good luck.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Wax777

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2007 at 03:25 PM »
dannielsimone,

I am now using cc370, and planning to ugrade my fronts, how much and where did you get your
monitor 7?  why using atom? instead bookshelf of monitors? ty

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2007 at 06:25 PM »
dannielsimone,

I am now using cc370, and planning to ugrade my fronts, how much and where did you get your
monitor 7?  why using atom? instead bookshelf of monitors? ty

Got my system at "paradigm" shop in Edsa Shang plaza fourth floor.  This shop is next to "sights and sounds" another very good audiophile shop.  Both stores are owned by victor Chua.  The monitor 7 was about 35,00 a pair.

I used the Atoms because I made provisions (when I built my HT) to hide the speaker wire in the flooring and in the wall.  Unfortunately the provision  for the surround  speaker is aproximately 6 feet behind the selected seating area( sofa) and there is a wine rack which would block the sound from a wall mounted dipole like the ADP370.. I need a prodtruding wall bracket!  Onkly after about 8 weeks of researching surround speakers and almost choosing and paying for a dipole speaker I  realized that the choice of a dipole is not the correct one.  And as I do not want to look at exposed wires stretching 6 feert across the wall to the side surround position  I chose the Atom as a direct firing surround that I can wall mount and swivel towards the listening position.  The monitor bookshelf which "would have been " the perfect choice" for direct firing was just to obtrusive for wall mounting and my low ceiling. Even the  Titan was also too obtrusive. My only choice was the Atom. In respect to HT and movies the Atom is working just fine.  With respect to music ( Minor downside) It is not bad  but one must be careful not to blow out the speaker with serious volumes when listening in "All Stereo" mode.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 14, 2007 at 09:18 PM »
Guys Im new with Paradigm speakers....need ur reviews and advices regarding Titan Monitor (7"1/2 woofer bookshelf)
how does it fair with the B&W 602S3 ?  ::)thanks...
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2007 at 09:19 PM by @nk71 »

Offline bassman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #36 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 12:22 AM »
Hows is Paradigm Studio 40 paired with Rotel?

Anyone knows how much is Paradigm Studio40?

Thanks!
Rotel RCD1072 RC1070, RB1070 Sonus Faber Concerto, Velodyne DD12

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #37 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 12:57 AM »
studio 40 v3 cost around 75T less 10 to 15% probably. they are available at shangrila plaza mall in edsa crossing. paired with rotel, they sound very good...just have it connected via speaker wires that somehow supresses the highs...ecosse 2.3 would be ideal.

im afraid this would be great with mid to large room sizes. for smaller rooms, it may produce lots of bass that is somehow hard to control.

i used to have solid rotel separates driving a pair of studio 20 v3s btw...
im allan - 09178087173

Offline bassman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 02:13 AM »
Ouch! way high and above my budget. Pero try ko audition if I could sacrifice sub.

Sir accastil, thanks for the info. very much appreciated.

I'm just puzzled with this "just have it connected via speaker wires that somehow supresses the highs...ecosse 2.3 would be ideal" and pardon my ignorance, could you please further explain.

Thanks!

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 03:49 AM »
bassman, for me the studio 20 v3 has more than enough bass that i could wish for. the studio 40 probably would be too much for me..but thats just me. judging from your aka(bassman), im not sure if the very strong bass of the 40's would satisfy you despite of...

digms have metal dome tweeters. they are known to sound somewhat sharp and piercing, especially during extended and/or loud listening sessions. for this matter, not all speaker wires might go well with it, unless youll be driving them with very lush sounding gears like exposure, nad, BnK, and the likes...

in the case of rotel, which somewhat provides quite a slight inclination to brightness, you definitely need a spkr wire to tame the sharp highs of the digms...for me, the ecosse 2.3 cables does this job very well.

give it a listen first and take it from there...who knows, your threshold for highs might not be as low as mine. goodluck bro.

for the price of the 40's, you may also consider auditioning the ff: vienna acoustics haydn signature, monitor audio gold signature 10, quad 11L or 12L, von schweikert VR1, LSA audio LSA1, sonus faber concertino or concerto, totem rainmaker, proac tablette reference 8 or 2000, spendor ls3/5a, dynaudio audience 42 or 52....bass from these babies may not be as plenty but the mids and highs would definitely leave you drooling :)

heard all of this except for the quad and LSA... personally, i like the vienna, monitor audio, von schweikert, totem, and sonus faber. im actually considering letting go off my sonus faber...maybe soon. id let u know if so.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline bassman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 11:10 PM »
Accastil,

Sir thanks alot for the valuable information.

I really want Sonus Faber, unfortunately I cant afford it thats why I settled to get B&W 602S3 with CHT10R or 12R. If Paradigm Studio 40 will suffice my bass need I may sacrifice the sub.

What model is your Sonus? Please inform me if you happen to sell your Sonus.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 12:05 AM »
Bassman, im selling my sonus faber concertino pre-home version for only 24t. its already posted in the B/S section of pdvd.

pls have me texted for updates on your interest. ty. 09186604303

however, its going to be auditioned by the first in line on thursday night.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 18, 2007 at 11:26 PM »
I got Studio 60 v2, and very happy with it matched with B&K amps and Kimber 8 PR speaker cables.... 8)  8) Build and Sound Quality theres nothing to hope for....  ;D  ;D

Sidebyside with wafe diamond 9.5 but can not be compared in some levels:
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2007 at 11:28 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #43 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 09:30 PM »
Question po to the gurus:

1.     Yung Paradigm Monitor Series is equivalent to B&W 600 Series?

2.     What is the normal discount that a customer should get from a speaker store when paying in cash?

Tia  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 09:31 PM by vtec3 »

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #44 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 09:34 PM »
5%, 10%, sometimes 10% + 5% discount.  ;)

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
5%, 10%, sometimes 10% + 5% discount.  ;)

Thanks Sir, what was offered to me kanina was 1k off the price from what quoted during my phone inquiry  :( sabi kasi sa akin they don't offer disc over the phone tapos nung pumunta ako 1k discount lang ang binigay  ???

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 07:32 AM »
they dont usually give discounts over the phone, they just give you a hint to lure you. now pagdating mo sa shop nila audition it and magusap na kayo for the discount. pero meron shop that I know nag bigay ng 10% + 5% discount over the phone.
anyway I think nakabili kana and I believe ok na price na nakuha mo. B&W west?

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
they dont usually give discounts over the phone, they just give you a hint to lure you. now pagdating mo sa shop nila audition it and magusap na kayo for the discount. pero meron shop that I know nag bigay ng 10% + 5% discount over the phone.
anyway I think nakabili kana and I believe ok na price na nakuha mo. B&W west?

nope hindi pa ako nakabili  ;) just auditioned both yesterday and still undecided which speakers to buy. Magka-level ba yung Paradigm Monitor Series and B&W 600 Series. Yan kasi sabi nung shop where I auditioned the Paradigm?

undecided pa din if ever I decided to buy Paradigm kung Monitor 7 floor standerr or Titan Monitor ang gamitin ko sa fronts. If i buy kasi the Titan Monitor need to buy pa a speaker stand (5,800 daw yung Paradigm Stand) vs difference of 10k if I decide to buy the Monitor 7 floorstander.

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 10:45 AM »
I believe magka-level monitor and 600 series, I once auditioned the new version of titan monitor in shangrila and for me I liked it more than 602s3, more musical, wide soundstage some call it gumagapang yung tunog speacially mids and hi's and I think its good for audio application.
do you already have and audio set-up? if so ,then you could use your L and R speakers for your front and buy a decent good sounding center nalang and the velodyne cht12 you are eyeing for, kasi for me buhay ng HT audio nasa front and sub. then pag di kana satisfied sa exisiting fronts mo thats the time bumili ka na ng new set of front speakers.  :)

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 02:26 PM »
please post the price of these paradigm speakers, would appreciate very much, thanks.

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 03:42 PM »
sent you pm Re: Price  ;) Pati price halos magka level sila ng B&W  ;)

Offline Mr.H

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #51 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 11:14 PM »
Yup!
Halos magka level ang Paradigm Monitors & B&W 600 series.
sana na try mo din yung Monitor 9 and 11 plus CC-390 for center. I think mas ok sila lalo na sa HT.:D
Goodluck!  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2007 at 11:26 PM by Mr.H »
PMC / SVS PB-12 / Paradigm / Rotel RSX / Vincent CDT/Castle Power LC /Mr.H PowerCords / Emotiva XP-5

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 09:00 AM »
Yup!
sana na try mo din yung Monitor 9 and 11 plus CC-390 for center. I think mas ok sila lalo na sa HT.:D
Goodluck!  ;)

Thank you for the inputs Mr. H  ;)

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 26, 2007 at 07:46 PM »
@nk71 sent you a pm Re Paradigm Speakers. dont know kasi if you got it kasi error message after I press the post button.

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 05:52 PM »
@nk71 sent you a pm Re Paradigm Speakers. dont know kasi if you got it kasi error message after I press the post button.

Didn't got any pm  :( ...can resend it again thanks.....

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 11:16 AM »
Sent you another PM regarding Paradigm Speakers and I still get the same error message "Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 550 5.4.5 Daily sending quota exceeded. i10sm8928606wxd "  ??? I always get this message whenever I send a member a PM so I am not sure if natatangap nila.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007 at 11:18 AM by vtec3 »

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 12:04 PM »
Yup!
Goodluck!  ;)
if these are to be used exclusively for HT, u have to consider mordaunt short 502 thx.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 10:02 AM »
vtec3

how much is the paradigm studio20?  thanks.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 10:52 AM »
its 45Tphp, less store discount.
sold mine for less than half the price about 3 months ago...

i have 2 other speakers for sale...a mordaunt short, and a sonus faber. :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 12:43 PM »
Sir accastil... 4sale ba yung dalawa?  :o
another question, how do find your new cartridge? audio-technica compared to other?  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest