Author Topic: Paradigm Speakers  (Read 154843 times)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Paradigm Speakers
« Reply #90 on: Nov 13, 2007 at 04:34 PM »
hi bro! i also find the new version cone surrounds to be very stiff compared to the older version. how do u find the performance of the new versions?

It's the Studio 100 and UltraCube 12 that was connected at Denon AVR in the show room playing a demo disc of  electronic drum set. Sound was very natural and the sub response was clear with it's stone like woofer and weight. Cost here, $650.00 for Sub and $1700.00 for studio 100 v5.  ::)
IMHO, it's an indication that cone response will be fast than loose soround or woofer. Musical notes will sound crisp, sharp and not sloppy. Out from the box we find that way but after break-in time it loosen a bit to soften the sound.  8)  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline nesty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Nov 13, 2007 at 05:36 PM »
For purely music 2-ch, I would recommend Reference Studio Series and Signature series if you got enough dough... 8)

Let me check on that. I just heard the Titans connected to T amp when I visited S&S last. And I think I like to sound. Next audition the studios.

Offline Lucky7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 11:08 AM »
I have  paradigm atoms in the bedroom and they sound really good connected to a vintage nad 7001 receiver.This receiver sounds better than the newer nad amps.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #93 on: Nov 15, 2007 at 07:05 AM »
Guys,

For purely music 2-ch, what's the recommended Paradigm speaker bookshelf or Floorstander? Listening area is around 20sqm.

i would go for studio20v3....only  because my type of music doesnt involve much bass. if you are into disco, rock, pop...a floorstander would be better. a bookshelf with subwoofer is also a nice option...of all speakers ive owned, the digms posses the strongest bass. hope this helps
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #94 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 11:36 AM »
FYI, I am selling my old 1st gen Titans and Atoms.  Also selling CC150 center speaker.  Let me know if you are or you know anyone interested.

Thanks.

Lance

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 12:46 PM »
FYI, I am selling my old 1st gen Titans and Atoms.  Also selling CC150 center speaker.  Let me know if you are or you know anyone interested.

Thanks.

Lance

I guess this not the right place for your topic... though it's about paradigm, it's for info only and other opinions about the product....
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #96 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 11:43 AM »
Oops, sorry about that.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #97 on: Dec 17, 2007 at 01:43 PM »
Have you guys checked the out the latest Paradigm "Rock" speakers?  ;) 

Very innovative design and solid performance for these puppies running for around $260@.  8)
You can check out the review of these Paradigm 60-SM Rock Monitor speakers at Audioholics.com
Link HERE.

Offline looks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 11:44 AM »
satisfied owner here to! :)

i use:

front: mini monitor
center: cc-270
rear: titan

sometimes lang mejo harsh ung high frequencies.. kapag may sumasabog or nababasag na glass sa movies.. but overall, i like it and very contended.

guys, ang reference series din ba harsh ung high frequencies? 

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Dec 22, 2007 at 04:44 PM »
satisfied owner here to! :)

i use:

front: mini monitor
center: cc-270
rear: titan

sometimes lang mejo harsh ung high frequencies.. kapag may sumasabog or nababasag na glass sa movies.. but overall, i like it and very contended.

guys, ang reference series din ba harsh ung high frequencies? 

got ref60 fronts and set large, in my observations medyo edgy lang but overall it put out what sound should.
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline looks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 08:27 AM »
alright, pag nagkaroom na cguro ako na for HT tlga, i'll audition for it.. hehehe.

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 09:40 AM »
If you guys are feeling the highs of your speakers to be at times harsh, get somebody to open up your speakers and replace the tweeter's capacitiors to Solen or Mundorf M-Caps (cheap but a worthwhile upgrade) or Mundorf Supreme if you heve the budget.

These will make the highs smoother, cleaner and more transparent. You might be shock on the transformation once you hear it, especially with the Mundorf Supreme. ;D ;D ;D
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline looks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 10:28 AM »
If you guys are feeling the highs of your speakers to be at times harsh, get somebody to open up your speakers and replace the tweeter's capacitiors to Solen or Mundorf M-Caps (cheap but a worthwhile upgrade) or Mundorf Supreme if you heve the budget.

These will make the highs smoother, cleaner and more transparent. You might be shock on the transformation once you hear it, especially with the Mundorf Supreme. ;D ;D ;D

i am not sure kung na may bold enough na gagawa nyan sa paradigm speakers... parang sayang nmn, bago bago pa, mapapalitan na..

curious ako, where do i find these capacitors and mga how much b un mga un? nagawa mo n ba un sa paradigm speakers mo?

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 01:23 PM »
i am not sure kung na may bold enough na gagawa nyan sa paradigm speakers... parang sayang nmn, bago bago pa, mapapalitan na..

curious ako, where do i find these capacitors and mga how much b un mga un? nagawa mo n ba un sa paradigm speakers mo?

Even high end speakers are not really using the most expensive botique capacitors, or else the selling price of their speakers will be even more expensive.

For Solen, should cost you around Php300, for both speakers. Mundorf Supreme should be around Php1.5k, depending on the value of th caps.

The only concern, once you make this upgrade, warranty will be void.

I had already done this to almost all of the speakers that i previously owned, like Sonus Faber Concertino, Concerto, Concertino Home, Concerto Home, Totem Model 1, Epos ES11 and currently, my Traiangle Antal.

Here is a pic of an Epos ES11 that i sold an upgraded for the buyer. I had replaced the capacitors to Mundorf Supreme, Resistors to Mundorf and all internal wiring to Neotech PCOCC (99.999 pure copper).

Before the upgrade. See the cheap components used, although the caps are of ok quality (Bennic, polypropelyne caps, Solen is even a bit better).

After the upgrade. See the difference in size of the both the caps and resistor although both exhibit the same value.

LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline looks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 01:45 PM »
oh..
maybe we should discuss this on another thread.. wala na tayo sa topic.. hehehe.

maybe if i buy a new set paradigm speakers, then doon ko lang mapapa modify my existing set of speakers..  ;D

Offline alx

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #105 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 03:25 PM »
sir edwin, would there be a big difference in sound quality if upgraded to mundorf resistors?

TIA!  :D

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 07:23 PM »
sir edwin, would there be a big difference in sound quality if upgraded to mundorf resistors?

TIA!  :D

Sorry, medyo out of topic na tayo.

Yes, it made a difference ( the best is the Mills, wirewound). With the old, cheap resistor, sakal ang tunog. After the resistor change, para bang nakahinga ang tunog. Ganuon din ang nangyari ng magpalit ako ng internal wirings.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 09:09 PM »
Is the brightness in tweeters a general feature found in most Paradigm monitor speakers?
Does this include the Ver.5 Titan kaya?

Offline looks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 07:42 AM »
Is the brightness in tweeters a general feature found in most Paradigm monitor speakers?

yeah..  i think it's not just the monitor series.. all of them maybe???

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Dec 29, 2007 at 06:22 PM »

I want to make it clear, that brightness means harshness, irregardless how strong or soft the output of the highs on a specific speaker system.

This is where the difference between a high end and a low to mid range speaker is. High end speakers use expensive drivers and components. The brightness that you hear will be replaced with "Refinement".

To somehow releive us the misery of hearing this irritating brightness, replacing the tweeters capacitors to those botique types, like Mundorf Supreme, will improve the performance of these cheaper driver/tweeters, thereby making it sound more revealing but with lesser distortion. You might be shocked that suddenly how come it as if you are listening now to a different (better) pair of speakers.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #110 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 12:48 AM »
I want to make it clear, that brightness means harshness, irregardless how strong or soft the output of the highs on a specific speaker system.

This is where the difference between a high end and a low to mid range speaker is. High end speakers use expensive drivers and components. The brightness that you hear will be replaced with "Refinement".

To somehow releive us the misery of hearing this irritating brightness, replacing the tweeters capacitors to those botique types, like Mundorf Supreme, will improve the performance of these cheaper driver/tweeters, thereby making it sound more revealing but with lesser distortion. You might be shocked that suddenly how come it as if you are listening now to a different (better) pair of speakers.

I would vouch for this.  ;)  Just received the 'upgraded' speakers from Edwin and it sounds fantastic!  ;D - so that's what Mundorf could do! Last OT post na po ito - awesome Epos speakers bro!  :-X  To get back into topic, am using the Epos for my stereo audio set-up BUT I still maintain the great overall acoustics of Paradigm which I use for my HT rig.  Very dependable... and I haven't experienced that brightess / harshness which was mentioned earlier in my P's.  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007 at 12:49 AM by Marl_1 »

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #111 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 07:23 AM »
ah yes, digms could dish down to very impressive bass response for their size. harshness, not really but i would agree they do belong to the slightly bright sounding class inherently. finding the proper gears to match them with could tame it down.

in the case of tweaking like what the previous poster did, it would definitely have a change...and this change would depend on the tweak made.

generally, they are good speakers, especially from the reference line and up.

im allan - 09178087173

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #112 on: Dec 30, 2007 at 10:07 AM »

I have a Paradigm PDR-12 sub, and it blends well w/ my sansui and wharf speakers