Author Topic: Yamaha Receivers  (Read 401028 times)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Yamaha - New Receivers RXV-730,630,530 & 430
« Reply #120 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 02:23 AM »
Levi, coming from the premise of your post, it seems to me that floor standing speakers are "louder" than bookshelves, is my conclusion correct?

Coz I really want floor standing speakers, kahit medyo "bulok", I would really like my speakers to stand out, quite literally, that is.  I'm just fixated with having floor standing ones, kahit na maliit lang room ko tapos hindi ko i-c crank up.

Besides, my TV stand is very high, kung book shelf yun, when I lie down in bed, the front and center would be approximately 6-7 feet away and 5-6 feet above our heads, okay lang ba yun?  

I was thinking of space when I suggested bookshelves but for capabilities almost the same for normal use. Anyway, since you have more budget then you can still get floorstanders like the suggetion of Kawboy or even the 603.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #121 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 02:36 AM »
Levi, coming from the premise of your post, it seems to me that floor standing speakers are "louder" than bookshelves, is my conclusion correct?

Coz I really want floor standing speakers, kahit medyo "bulok", I would really like my speakers to stand out, quite literally, that is.  I'm just fixated with having floor standing ones, kahit na maliit lang room ko tapos hindi ko i-c crank up.

Besides, my TV stand is very high, kung book shelf yun, when I lie down in bed, the front and center would be approximately 6-7 feet away and 5-6 feet above our heads, okay lang ba yun?  

If you are still looking for floorstanding speakers, I have a Yamaha NS-45 pair of floorstanding speakers and I'm selling it for P7k (neg).

It is in cherry red finish though and with a black grill cloth.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=6358

Text me at 09175298004 if you are interested. ;D

nirvblakr
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2002 at 02:40 AM by nirvblakr »

Offline greatbop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 02:47 PM »
umm.. ang difference ng floorstander over a bookshelf isn't just as simple as 'floorstanders are louder.''

Floorstanders have a better frequency range over bookshelfs.. mas marami and bigger drivers, etc.. kaya masmahal...

and ofcourse... you get better bass dahil may sariling low end driver e. compared sa bookshelf which normall only has 2 drivers.

Offline Jermi

• Collector
  • I'm a llamat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 05:11 PM »
I think the best buy sa lineup nato is the rx-v630... with 530 and 430, wala kasing rear center....

If you can get an RX-V1200 or 2200 mas ok :)

kawboy,

bumili ako ng Mission 73i (floorstanding) and M7C2 (center). Ok na ok naman siya sa yamaha ko  ;D Yung surrounds at sub yung next.

Don

Don,
Magkano bili mo sa Mission floorstanding and center mo?

Offline Jermi

• Collector
  • I'm a llamat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 05:18 PM »
umm.. ang difference ng floorstander over a bookshelf isn't just as simple as 'floorstanders are louder.''

Floorstanders have a better frequency range over bookshelfs.. mas marami and bigger drivers, etc.. kaya masmahal...

and ofcourse... you get better bass dahil may sariling low end driver e. compared sa bookshelf which normall only has 2 drivers.
Greatbop, thanks.  Can you recommend some models for me? Kung bibilhin kong receiver is the 630?

Ano ba difference ng 630 sa 730?

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 05:33 PM »
Jermi,

Call The Hometheater for the latest prices.  ;)

730 has "on-screen display" yun settings nung receiver makikita mo sa TV.... Yung 630 walang function na ganito. Pareho lang sila pati yung power, yung on-screen display lang ang pinagkaiba...

Try Mission speakers... 70 series. I recommend the M73i model for fronts...

Hope this helps,
Don

Offline Jermi

• Collector
  • I'm a llamat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 05:55 PM »

Jermi, pareho tayo ng dillema, I want floorstanding speakers for my fronts, (mas cool di ba?  ;))pero our sala is also small. kaya I'm thinking if I would start setting up when I have a bigger place... if you can't wait, you may want to consider B&W 602.5, it's a floorstander for a small room.
specified lang sa website nila na it is built for small rooms...

sabi naman ng iba, baka maging boomy siya.

Anyway, I am very interested kung ano ang magiging decisions and feedback mo, so keep us informed sana  :)
Kawboy, cool talaga ang floorstanding, feeling HT talaga ang dating...
Ano ba yung mas mura yung Missions or B&W, grabe, wala talaga akong alam, am just relying on everybody's opinion...I don't even know how to audition, as in pag punta ko dun, feeling ko, I won't be able to "hear" the diff... ???

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Sep 27, 2002 at 05:11 PM »
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to buy this package from The Listening Room at MegaMall.  I am very happy with this and satisfied, since I will be putting this in my room only.  It's been quite some time since I last posted here and it took me sometime to decide on what to get until the package came.  I was decided already before with the amp, but didn't want the ns-p320 package speakers.  Now, all I am lacking is the subwoofer.  Sa pasko na siguro ang sub ;D.  Just wanted to share my joy with you guys.  Thanks for all the help and assistance.

To those who are not aware of the package...

Yamaha RXV630G (6.1 Channel)
- 75w x 6 (nom), 110 x 6 (max)
Yamaha NSP 7390 Front Speaker
- 220 Watts 2 WAy Floor Standing
NSP 60 Center, Rear Speakers
- Center 180 Watts
- Rear 150 Watts each
Price:  P37,500

Offline shine

• Collector
  • If the enemy is within reach, so are you
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Sep 27, 2002 at 08:35 PM »
congrats sa setup mo. Maganda nga ang package na yan, pinagpilian ko din dati ang NS7390 nila with the wharfedale 8.4. Mas feel mo ang pagka-HT talaga niyan pag nakakuha ka na nang sub mo.

Offline Jermi

• Collector
  • I'm a llamat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Sep 28, 2002 at 09:36 PM »
Jermi,

Call The Hometheater for the latest prices.  ;)

730 has "on-screen display" yun settings nung receiver makikita mo sa TV.... Yung 630 walang function na ganito. Pareho lang sila pati yung power, yung on-screen display lang ang pinagkaiba...

Try Mission speakers... 70 series. I recommend the M73i model for fronts...

Hope this helps,
Don

Would you have the number of The Hometheatre?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Sep 29, 2002 at 12:39 AM »
Sonny Tuazon
The Home Theater
store hours are
from 9:00am to 7:00pm Mondays to Saturdays
and Sundays by appointment only.
telnos.:
812-5235
524-8631

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 01:57 PM »
Hello peeps,

Meron din akong question about impedance and speakers.  Last Friday, I was able to buy the yamaha 630 package with the ns-7390 (main) and ns-p60 (center and rear) at the listening room (megamall).  the main speakers are 8 ohms while the center and rear are 6 ohms.  yung taga megamall ang nag-setup at sabi na wag ko na galawin yung impedance setting sa likod ng amp.  nakalagay siya sa minimum of 8 ohms na impedance setting (for those familiar with the new x30 yamaha receivers, switch is toggled to the right).  hindi ba masisira ang 6 ohms speakers ko?

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 03:02 PM »
Hi Mickoh,

I e-mailed Yamaha regarding the Impedance Selector Switch. 6 ohms din yung speakers ko.. eto yung e-mail nila sakin...

>Thank you for being a Yamaha product owner.

>In reply to your inquiry, please position the >IMPEDANCE SELECTOR switch to the
>"LEFT", when you use the receiver with the NS-P320.

>By selecting an appropriate position of the impedance >selector switch, the
>receiver is adjusting output power for protecting >receiver.

>Thank you for contacting Yamaha.

>Yours sincerely

>AV Overseas Customer Service Representative
>YAMAHA CORPORATION, JAPAN

Hope this helps,

Don

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 03:11 PM »
thanks don!  ;)

sabi kasi nung taga-listening room, huwag ko na daw galawin e...minimum of 8 ohms, tapos yung rear and center ko ay 6 ohms...medyo conflicting ata.  

Offline Mickoh Ramos

• Collector
  • Yeah baby!
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 03:22 PM »
don,

pahingi naman ng email address ng yamaha japan.  i have a few questions myself that i'd like to ask.

thanks again.

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Sep 30, 2002 at 05:57 PM »
don,

pahingi naman ng email address ng yamaha japan.  i have a few questions myself that i'd like to ask.

thanks again.

no problem  :)

[email protected]

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Oct 07, 2002 at 10:54 AM »
Hey guys, yung may RX V 430 I have a question.

Can you adjust the delay setting of the rear surround speakers? Seems that I cant find the instructions in the manual, only the center speaker is adjustable. Or I just missed it. Help naman.

Offline stradale

• Collector
  • It's better to burn out than to fade away.
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 10:53 AM »
Newbie needs info.  

I have a Yamaha RXV1200. I connected a coaxial digital cable from the DVD player's audio output to the AVR's coaxial digital CD input (Wala ba talagang coaxial digital DVD input ang mga AVRs?).  This works fine for CD's but I got no sound playing DVD's until I also installed the low-tech red,white, yellow tri-jack cable (yon ba ang RCA?).  I plan to buy an optical digital cable to replace the latter.

Question (s):

1.  Talaga ba na for HT setups, you need both the coaxial and optical digital cables at the same time?  I thought it was a question of buying either one of the two?

2.  Will I get an appreciable increase in sound quality using the digital optical cable for DVD in lieu of the RCA (?) cable?

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 11:34 AM »
Hi Stradale,

You have to set your coaxial-input to the correct input. From what I remember, the default for the first coaxial input is CD, while the second is CBL/SAT. You have to set the input you are using to DVD.

Its on page 59 of the manual. You can access the menu by pressing MENU on your remote, then scrolling down until you see item number 7 I/O ASSIGNMENT.

There will be a huge difference if you use digital coaxial cables vs rca cables. For one, its through the digital cables that the dvd passes the DTS, DD5.1 etc. to the receiver.  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2002 at 11:51 AM by MeowPao »

Offline cpudle

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 12:03 PM »
Hello peeps,

Meron din akong question about impedance and speakers.  Last Friday, I was able to buy the yamaha 630 package with the ns-7390 (main) and ns-p60 (center and rear) at the listening room (megamall).  the main speakers are 8 ohms while the center and rear are 6 ohms.  yung taga megamall ang nag-setup at sabi na wag ko na galawin yung impedance setting sa likod ng amp.  nakalagay siya sa minimum of 8 ohms na impedance setting (for those familiar with the new x30 yamaha receivers, switch is toggled to the right).  hindi ba masisira ang 6 ohms speakers ko?

Most midfi Receivers may have problems adequately driving a 4 ohm load. However, many of the better Receivers today have a large enough power supply, heat sink area, and current capability in the amp sections to handle 4 ohm loads. You are usually safe running these speakers on the Flagship Receiver models from: {Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, NAD, Nakamichi). NOTE: Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. DON'T USE THEM! The manufacturer puts them there for UL approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver.

Taken from http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/000726_4ohm_speakers.php

Offline stradale

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 02:59 PM »
Got it meowpow.  Thanks.

Does this mean however that I have to reset the I/O assignment every time I switch from DVD to CD (and viceversa)? Is there no work around? (Other than buying a separate optical digital cable).

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #141 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 03:20 PM »
If u wish to connect ur DVD and CD player using digital inputs u need to buy separate cables for them Coax and Optical para di ka na maglilipat at magtanggal nang cables sa likod...i use coaxial cable for my DVD player and Optical cable for my CD player
Walang Setup

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 11:50 PM »
Hi cpudle,

NOTE: Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. DON'T USE THEM! The manufacturer puts them there for UL approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver.

In my case, I had the switch over to the right (6ohm), since I have both 6 & 4 ohm speakers. I wanted to be on the safe side. :) I've tried running it with the switch over to the left (8ohm), and I didn't hear a difference (I probably have bad ears) :)

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 11:50 PM »
HI stradale,

Got it meowpow.  Thanks.

Does this mean however that I have to reset the I/O assignment every time I switch from DVD to CD (and viceversa)? Is there no work around? (Other than buying a separate optical digital cable).

You only set this up once. :) I've tried it on my DVD player, and it plays both dvd and cd with no problems.
Have you tried it na? :)

I actually have 3 types of cables attached to the player: coaxial digital, toslink (fiber) digital, and RCA, for testing. :) Of course, I can only use them one at a time.

Offline LoBudget

• Collector
  • Keep low, move fast...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #144 on: Oct 27, 2002 at 01:20 PM »
Anyone out there or dealers you know who are planning on dropping prices for december or shortly after?

Offline Hal

• Apprentice
  • Haloo
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 12:12 PM »
Help fellow members!!!

I just acquired a yamaha receiver, i haven't set up the rear speakers yet because our house is still under construction so i placed the rears in front along with the main speakers sa bedroom lng muna.

But then when i play movies the dialogues are too soft and parang high-pitched pa.. not even balanced with the sound effects kaya tuloy, i tone down the volume evrytime may nababasag or sumasabog..

be it a DD or a DTS disc, pareho lng effect.

ngyon lng ako ngka HT guys, i was using a mini-compo before to watch dvds. help me set up the sound to make the speeches a little louder..

by the way, optical un cable na binili ko..and wharfedale diamond speakers ... thanks!!!!

Offline stradale

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 12:42 PM »
Like you I recently acquired a Yamaha AVR (RXV1200).  It took a while for me to learn how to adjust the volume of each speaker too.  But you can do so thru the remote.

Just get the speaker test tone going and press the > key while the center speaker is being tested.  I'm assuming of course that your Yamaha has remote features similar to mine.

I know makapal yung owner's manual and it would take days if not weeks to absorb it all but I'm sure the instruction is there.

BTW, there is a way to adjust the tone (to lower the pitch) of the center speaker but guess what?  I have'nt read that part yet.  Cheers. ;)

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Nov 06, 2002 at 02:15 PM »
Help fellow members!!!

I just acquired a yamaha receiver, i haven't set up the rear speakers yet because our house is still under construction so i placed the rears in front along with the main speakers sa bedroom lng muna.

But then when i play movies the dialogues are too soft and parang high-pitched pa.. not even balanced with the sound effects kaya tuloy, i tone down the volume evrytime may nababasag or sumasabog..

be it a DD or a DTS disc, pareho lng effect.

ngyon lng ako ngka HT guys, i was using a mini-compo before to watch dvds. help me set up the sound to make the speeches a little louder..

by the way, optical un cable na binili ko..and wharfedale diamond speakers ... thanks!!!!

...are you using the center channel? if your audio setting is either in dolby digital or dts,  generally, the dialogue is expected to come out of the center speaker. from what i gather from your query, your speaker setup is 4.0 (2 fronts and 2 rears). try selecting either 2.1 or stereo in the audio setup of your source and see if the dialogue comes out using the main and rear speakers.

alternatively, you may want to remove both your rear speakers and try connecting one of them to the center channel speaker connection of your AV receiver. i think that's a 3.0 audio setup. that way, you may be able to tell if there's something wrong with your center channel or not.

hope i didn't confuse you more.

Offline Hal

• Apprentice
  • Haloo
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 12:13 PM »
thanks a lot stradale and tuff...!!

tuff, i have a center speaker.. sorry ha i havn't read the manual yet...(i usually don't kc excited)..

stradale, mine is rxv430 so pareho lng un speaker setup natin sa remote siguro

but after waking up early this morning  nadiskubre ko na.. the culprit is the delay.. nasa 35 sya so i adjusted it down to 0 then settled at 5.. muntik pa ko malate sa office ehehehe

thanks again!

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #149 on: Nov 07, 2002 at 02:01 PM »
Enjoy ur reciever its good to hear a fellow yammy owner  ;D ;D
Walang Setup