Author Topic: Yamaha Receivers  (Read 400861 times)

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Yamaha Receivers
« Reply #3690 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 08:09 PM »
Bro nung nag run ako nang YPAO sa akin hindi nya sinet sa large lahat nang speakers ko after YPO eto kinalabasan nang setting ko

Fronts 40hz small PSB T6
Surround 60hz small B6
Center 80hz small C5
Surround 160hz small mini compo surround speaker
nang nag setup kami nila norman
lahat ng speaker ni elmer sinet sa LARGE ng yamaha

2-3 times running ypao all large - hindi maramdaman ung svs sub kala namin patay

sabi ko kay elms i manual mo to 40 > 60 > 60

when i use aud din sa onkyo ko
ung rti a3 and csi a4 sinet sa large...
kaya sinet sa large - i assume because ung us audio can only go to 50hz
Love me or hate me.....

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3691 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 08:11 PM »
ung saken nakaset sa 50hz ang rti a3 before it was 40hz naalala ko lang ung setting na sinet ko kay elmer.. 40  > 60 > 60
parehas 50hz ung rti a3 and us audio ( low end 50hz lang kasi ung sub boomy) for movie
but i set it minsan sa 40hz when listening to music kapag natatamad akong magpalit na cable ng int amp  > for movie 50hz

i never use LARGE setting for fronts sa movie eversince...

ang saken lang is i was correcting elmers setting of 40hz for all speakers...

hahaha ang gugulo. Sige sige ill take your advice... :)

USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #3692 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 08:48 PM »

basahin mo eto ung nabasa ko before

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/setting-the-subwoofer-lfe-crossover-for-best-performance

BEST PERFORMANCE daw...but again..it depends on your speakers...

set at least 10Hz above the lowest frequency your main speakers can reproduce cleanly.
so 40 will be the best setting for your fronts as it can go 20hz
40hz to 50hz will be fine for fronts
but for your surr and center 60 will do as walang 65hz as advise din saken before..
center 65 and surr 65-80hz
kaya wala masyadong bass ung SVS as i check the specs RTI A7 can go as deep as 20hz
when change to 40hz laking improvement..
pwede mo itaas...kung hindi masyadong clean ung tunog(muddy)
when you switch 40 50 60 70 or 80 on your fronts.. magtest ka ng baril and see how the gun shot is
for sure at 40hz settings full ang tunog nyan
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012 at 08:50 PM by raider125jeigh »
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3693 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 09:28 PM »

Actually there's no right and wrong... Depende na lang talaga sa pandinig mo... Even if you try what's suggested here tapos di mo trip sa pandinig mo you can always play with it...

In my experience di ako natuwa sa settings ni YPAO that's why i manually calibrated it using spl meter.. Set all speakers to 80hz except for the Surround Back 120hz and center which i set to 60hz.. I even set the Yamaha to Through para walang equalization na nanggagaling from yamaha. And this to me sounds good to me... Again experiment experiment experiment..
Walang Setup

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #3694 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM »
reading caused a head ache... thank goodness there is YPAO for old lazy people like me.
Where is the Love? BEP

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3695 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM »
Basa basa lang weekend will be long again for the testing lalo na okay na yung HTPC ko.  ^-^ ^-^
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Randy1981

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3696 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM »
Please help.i have yamaha receiver rx-v 373 but i cant decide kung ano speaker na mas ok.im planning for polk tsi300/cs10 or wharfedale 10.1 or 10.4/10cs.thanks

Offline [dcw]aaron

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3697 on: Nov 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM »
Please help.i have yamaha receiver rx-v 373 but i cant decide kung ano speaker na mas ok.im planning for polk tsi300/cs10 or wharfedale 10.1 or 10.4/10cs.thanks

sir pa review naman nung avr pag na setup mo na. plano ko rin kasi nyan o kaya yung 473 to be paired with diamond 10s.
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3698 on: Nov 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM »
@Randy1981, hard to go wrong with the Polk.
But if TSI is the option, for the same budget I would recommend you look at Anthony Audio Genesis series then the savings can go to a PJ or Audio speakers.

Most likely xrampage will react :-) still you may test the Yamaha + Genesis set-up at our store to experience the Genesis. We are not selling the speakers, but supporting Anthony Audio.
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline jetstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Yohh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3699 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 04:22 AM »
Just curious, if you set your fronts to 80hz for the sub to take the lower frequency, what will happen when you set your receiver to Pure Direct? Pure Direct disables the sub but will your fronts go on full frequency and by-pass the settings?
Yamaha-Wharfedale
PolkAudio-LG 3D-Sony-AppleTV
Onkyo-Aurum Cantus-Pioneer Elite- LG UHD
MonitorAudio

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3700 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM »
Yes, that's right.

Pure Direct disables eveything but the volume control.  Bass management is disabled, so the fronts will get the full frequency and the 80Hz bass management setting is bypassed.  All sound processing is disabled.  Video out is disabled.  Even the receiver's front panel display is disabled.

The purpose is to provide the shortest possible path for the sound source, to minimize any possible degradation and coloration as the signal passes the circuits.

I almost always use Pure Direct for 2.0 music.  There are music tracks that sound slightly better on Pure Direct; some tracks pareho lang ang tunog.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3701 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 07:35 PM »
To fellow Yamaha users a few questions:
1) Do you use the YPAO calibration feature?
2) Which of the Settings do you use? Natural - Front - Flat?
3) What is your opinion of the calibration result? Does it satisfy your desired SQ?

1. Yes.
2. Flat.
3. (a) Result is good.   (b) Yes.   

Hope to get replies for additional knowledge.

"Flat" applies the result of the auto parametric equalization (PEQ) as is.  The objective is to achieve the best accuracy.

"Natural" also applies the PEQ result, but reduces upper midrange and high frequencies slightly.  The objective is to reduce harshness, if that is the preference of the user.

"Front" does not apply the PEQ result; it just leaves the fronts without equalization, then applies PEQ on the other speakers.  This is for systems with mismatched speakers.  The objective is to match the fronts with the rest of the speakers.

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 01:14 AM by barrister »

Offline jetstar

• Collector
  • Yohh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3702 on: Nov 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM »
Yes, that's right.

Pure Direct disables eveything but the volume control.  Bass management is disabled, so the fronts will get the full frequency and the 80Hz bass management setting is bypassed.  All sound processing is disabled.  Video out is disabled.  Even the receiver's front panel display is disabled.

The purpose is to provide the shortest possible path for the sound source, to minimize any possible degradation and coloration as the signal passes the circuits.

I almost always use Pure Direct for 2.0 music.  There are music tracks that sound slightly better on Pure Direct; some tracks pareho lang ang tunog.

Thanks! Only the blue Pure direct monitor LED is enabled when I switch to Pure Direct. I asked because I'm not sure if I'm getting the full frequency from my Wharfe 9.1.  It's hard to know if it does since having the sub disabled, the low freq seems missing but as you listen more, you will notice that Pure Direct gives more natural musical output. It varies from the reference material that your are listening to.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM by jetstar »
Yamaha-Wharfedale
MonitorAudio

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3703 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 12:59 AM »

I don't like subwoofers when listening to 2.0 music.

If it's accuracy you're after, then a 2.0 recording should played back on a 2.0 setup.  Remember that the recording you're listening to was mixed in a studio that used near-field monitor speakers.  I don't see how playing that back on a multichannel setup + subwoofer will give you an acccurate reproduction of the source as recorded.

Puwera na lang siguro kung ang music mo ay rap, hip-hop, trance, etc.

=========================================

Abbey Road Studios, Westminster, London, England:

Speakers: B&W 805S near-field monitors ($2,500 a pair).   

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 01:07 AM by barrister »

Offline jetstar

• Collector
  • Yohh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3704 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 03:03 AM »

I don't like subwoofers when listening to 2.0 music.

If it's accuracy you're after, then a 2.0 recording should played back on a 2.0 setup.  Remember that the recording you're listening to was mixed in a studio that used near-field monitor speakers.  I don't see how playing that back on a multichannel setup + subwoofer will give you an acccurate reproduction of the source as recorded.

Puwera na lang siguro kung ang music mo ay rap, hip-hop, trance, etc.

=========================================

Abbey Road Studios, Westminster, London, England:

Speakers: B&W 805S near-field monitors ($2,500 a pair).   

Yes. Audiophile Voices CDs sound more natural on a 2.0 setup. I bought a Pink Floyd The Dark Side of The Moon SACD 5.1 Surround. Can't wait to get home to try it. 
Yamaha-Wharfedale
MonitorAudio

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #3705 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 04:33 AM »

Many do master in the medium or the far field, and there are others who do master with subwoofers.

The mixing part is often done in the near field, but mastering usually happens from a more typical listening distance.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 04:34 AM by Stagea »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3706 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:01 AM »
Wow, that's good info!

Do you know what audio monitors they use for mastering movie soundtracks?  Very big speakers, or not so big speakers?  Maybe 5 identical speakers for fronts, surround and center?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3707 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:14 AM »
Wow, that's good info!

Do you know what audio monitors they use for mastering movie soundtracks?  Very big speakers, or not so big speakers?  Maybe 5 identical speakers for fronts, surround and center?

Identical monitors + sub in most cases. Most use reasonable-sized monitors (bookshelf-sized).

Big speakers all around are often used for multichannel music mastering.

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:18 AM by Stagea »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3708 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:22 AM »
Thanks for the great info sir!

Very nice pics.  Those are scary looking monitors ...  :o

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3709 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:29 AM »
Thanks for the great info sir!

Very nice pics.  Those are scary looking monitors ...  :o

You're welcome, Atty.

SACD and DVD-A were originally developed without bass management; all channels are designed to run full-range (hence the big speakers).

That didn't stop CE makers from adding bass management functions later on, however.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:30 AM by Stagea »

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3710 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 03:32 PM »
Most likely xrampage will react :-) still you may test the Yamaha + Genesis set-up at our store to experience the Genesis. We are not selling the speakers, but supporting Anthony Audio.

Bat naman ako mag rereact eh narinig ko na ang genesis mo na matigas. For me matigas talaga ang buga di kagaya ng polk ko na out of the box di siya matigas. Sabi nga nila nas apandinig yan di lahat tayo same experience. Don't get me wrong on my experience with other brands pero di ko talaga nagustuhan and take note di lang ako ang naexperience na matigas talaga yung output. Di ko na din need i audition ang genesis with my yammy since im happy with my POLK if ever palit ako speaker syempre mas maganda sa POLK ang kuinin ko. >:D >:D

I will react kasi nga nilagay mo ako sa post mo na dapat hindi naman.  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2012 at 03:35 PM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3711 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 06:15 PM »
Bat naman ako mag rereact eh narinig ko na ang genesis mo na matigas. For me matigas talaga ang buga di kagaya ng polk ko na out of the box di siya matigas. Sabi nga nila nas apandinig yan di lahat tayo same experience. Don't get me wrong on my experience with other brands pero di ko talaga nagustuhan and take note di lang ako ang naexperience na matigas talaga yung output. Di ko na din need i audition ang genesis with my yammy since im happy with my POLK if ever palit ako speaker syempre mas maganda sa POLK ang kuinin ko. >:D >:D

I will react kasi nga nilagay mo ako sa post mo na dapat hindi naman.  ;) ;)

Huminahon ka brader... ang puso mo ang puso he he he
Walang Setup

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3712 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 06:32 PM »
Huminahon ka brader... ang puso mo ang puso he he he

Nanahimik nga ako ewan ko bat nadamay ako sa post na un. Yamaha din naman ako and im happy with my Yamaha. May nangungulam nga sa akin try ko daw Denon sa POLK ko.  >:D >:D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3713 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 11:58 PM »
Nanahimik nga ako ewan ko bat nadamay ako sa post na un. Yamaha din naman ako and im happy with my Yamaha. May nangungulam nga sa akin try ko daw Denon sa POLK ko.  >:D >:D

eto naman, na quote ka lang brader kasi may post ka siguro before about the genesis and may difference in opinion somewhere.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3714 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 12:30 AM »
eto naman, na quote ka lang brader kasi may post ka siguro before about the genesis and may difference in opinion somewhere.

Kasalanan ni Timi yan.. ayaw pa kasi bumili ng PJ eh
Walang Setup

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3715 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 08:23 AM »

Ou alam ko may post ako about genesis ang pagkakalam ko sa TPC di ko na maremember kung meron din dito sa PDVD kasi nung HiFi show pa un na experience. Nananahimik ako i just post my honest experience on some site. Mahirap naman ipilit natin sa pandinig natin ang di maganda baka in the end magkaron pa tayo na sakit or anything out of it. Sabi nga may kanya kanya tayo preference. Iba kasi ung pag kaka quote naka italic pa parang kulang na lang invisible na letters para di ko makita. Its not just a regular quote brader. May masama na ba sa post na actual experience?  :-X :-X :-X
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3716 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 04:03 PM »
"Flat" applies the result of the auto parametric equalization (PEQ) as is.  The objective is to achieve the best accuracy.

"Natural" also applies the PEQ result, but reduces upper midrange and high frequencies slightly.  The objective is to reduce harshness, if that is the preference of the user.

"Front" does not apply the PEQ result; it just leaves the fronts without equalization, then applies PEQ on the other speakers.  This is for systems with mismatched speakers.  The objective is to match the fronts with the rest of the speakers.

@barrister, thank you!

More questions about YPAO for the more experienced Yamaha owners.

1) Based on the above quote does it mean that if the speakers are Harsh / matigas if you set the YPAO Equalization to Natural, the sound will become less harsh / malambing?

2) Aside from Yamaha, are there other brands of AVRS that offer the same three(3) EQ options after calibration?

Where is the Love? BEP

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3717 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 06:30 PM »
1) Based on the above quote does it mean that if the speakers are Harsh / matigas if you set the YPAO Equalization to Natural, the sound will become less harsh / malambing?

2) Aside from Yamaha, are there other brands of AVRS that offer the same three(3) EQ options after calibration?

1) Yes, harshness of upper midrange and high frequencies is slightly reduced.  But remember that the reduction is slight, which means that you will benefit if your room and system are already good, and will only need slight equalization to make your system sound better.

Therefore, you should not buy receivers and speakers without planning for correct matching, then expect equalization to solve every mismatch.  Auto Parametric Equalization (PEQ) has its limitations, so you should try to work within those limitations.

Accoridng to sir Timithekid, auto PEQ is very useful, but if speakers are mismatched with receivers to start with, you will still notice those mismatches during peak volumes despite prior auto PEQ. 

That is why the best approach is to first make sure that your room acoustics are good enough, then do your best to match receiver with speaker.  With that aside, use auto PEQ, and your system will sound good.

2) As far is I know, only Yamaha's YPAO has the Flat, Natural and Front selections after auto calibration.

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2012 at 12:15 AM by barrister »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3718 on: Dec 05, 2012 at 10:59 PM »

2) As far is I know, only Yamaha's YPAO has the Flat, Natural and Front selections after auto calibration.

Newer Audyssey MultEQ implementations usually offer Audyssey Reference (equivalent of YPAO's Natural) and Audyssey Flat (equivalent of YPAO's Flat).

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3719 on: Dec 06, 2012 at 05:03 AM »

Newer Audyssey MultEQ implementations usually offer Audyssey Reference (equivalent of YPAO's Natural) and Audyssey Flat (equivalent of YPAO's Flat).

^ There's also the Front Bypass (equivalent to the YPAO Front option), but not available on all MultEQ equipped receivers (Audyssey doesn't recommend it). I think this option is available on Denon receivers

MultEQ Target Curves
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/94162-multeq-target-curves
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2012 at 05:05 AM by rthirtyfourgtr »
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.