Author Topic: Yamaha Receivers  (Read 400829 times)

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Yamaha Receivers
« Reply #2700 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 05:32 PM »
Hehe. I agree with that mike c :)

But I am already sure I will be a late adapter of the HD & BR format. And besides, as of what I know, di ba HDMI 1.3 dapat yung latest HDMI format & not 1.2  ?  I dont follow the latest news on these 2 formats since I have decided to wait them out.

Knowing myself & how I upgrade, I believe its still too early to adapt to HDMI w/o them being of much use for the moment (component works fine and no HD DVD & BR to use em on).  By the time HDMI, BR & HD are in the mainstream (maybe 2 more years?), I am sure I have upgraded & used this money I saved by then.  ;D

Just me & my 2 cents.    :)

honestly ang gulo gulo nila, if you do some research sa forums, half the people say you need 1.3, the other half hindi (kasi wala naman daw software pa that uses 1.3 benefits)

anyway, did you know may combo player na LG?  blu-ray and HD-DVD in one?  so baka 1 year lang and hintay mo
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2701 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 09:16 PM »
Yung HDMi is the only way you will be able to enjoy Dolby Digital Lossless audio. This won't work through analog or optical cable...

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2702 on: Jan 12, 2007 at 04:20 PM »
Yes, other than the analog jack option, you will require HDMI to take advantage of the new Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master HD audio content on the HD-DVD or BD players.

But it is not necessary to use only HDMI ver 1.3. Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master HD bitstream are transportable over all versions of HDMI as decoded PCM.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2703 on: Jan 12, 2007 at 05:48 PM »
thanks for the knowledge guys. Yan ang info na hinahanap ko! :D

Anyway, HDMI tech will be trickling down to lower mid level receivers soon. Onkyo & HK are releasing 30+k receivers w/ HDMI (HK345? & Onkyo 604) very soon. Hopefully Yamaha follows. No worries on my part on the power dept cuz I got a Rotel 5x100w power amp ready.

On my part as a declared late adapter I am sure I would have upgraded receivers by the time I decide to get my hands on those titles w/ new sound formats. Who knows? They might think of a way to let you enjoy the new sound formats through analog? Same as: Who before would have thought that a SD DVD player could play 720p/1080i through component was possible?

Besides, what are friends for? Sayang naman all the friends we made in pdvd if they wont allow me to watch these new HDDVD & BR's in their house...and eat & stay there for a month... ;D harhar

anyway, did you know may combo player na LG?  blu-ray and HD-DVD in one?  so baka 1 year lang and hintay mo

read about it but there are still some quirks they need to fix w/ the HD side of the player. Hintay hintay lang ako.  :)

Anybody who knows a Yamaha 2500 user?

Any fellow members you guys know who owns this receiver?  Somebody please point me to one.  :)

I need to ask something. I saw someone post about this but I forgot who.

someone please point me to a 2500 user/member!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2007 at 06:52 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2704 on: Jan 14, 2007 at 08:19 PM »
thanks for the knowledge guys. Yan ang info na hinahanap ko! :D

Anyway, HDMI tech will be trickling down to lower mid level receivers soon. Onkyo & HK are releasing 30+k receivers w/ HDMI (HK345? & Onkyo 604) very soon. Hopefully Yamaha follows. No worries on my part on the power dept cuz I got a Rotel 5x100w power amp ready.

On my part as a declared late adapter I am sure I would have upgraded receivers by the time I decide to get my hands on those titles w/ new sound formats. Who knows? They might think of a way to let you enjoy the new sound formats through analog? Same as: Who before would have thought that a SD DVD player could play 720p/1080i through component was possible?

Besides, what are friends for? Sayang naman all the friends we made in pdvd if they wont allow me to watch these new HDDVD & BR's in their house...and eat & stay there for a month... ;D harhar

read about it but there are still some quirks they need to fix w/ the HD side of the player. Hintay hintay lang ako.  :)

someone please point me to a 2500 user/member!  ;D

if i remember right the hk 247 and some other model will have hdmi.. cant remember the ces link that mentioned it :(
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2705 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 11:44 PM »

Matt, you can still enjoy the new sound formats thru analog 5.1.  My hd-a1 has 5.1 analog outs connected to my denon 3805 analog ins. the hd-a1 decodes dolby digital plus and dolby truehd 5.1 (before just 2.0....but updated thanks to a recent firmware update).  HDMI though is still the best option.....with analog the next best thing.  HDMI is tops coz it has no quirks like low LFE output.  Remedied mine by adjusting the LFE volume by +10db on the receiver.   You can use spdif but the reciever decodes it only as DTS (not bad actually  ;D ;D)...and is limited only to 1.5 mbps over that connection. 

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2706 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 07:18 AM »
Agree with Munskie. I gathered the following info:

"With firmware 2.0, the player can decode 5.1 TrueHD and output it as uncompressed PCM via the 5.1 analog connection or HDMI to your receiver. TrueHD is a lossless track (i.e. transparent to the master, no compression, etc. -- basically as good as it gets). DD+ is lossy (i.e. compressed and therefore inferior to TrueHD."

I think now it's clearer about lossless vs lossy   ;)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2707 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 09:33 AM »
TrueHD is a lossless track (i.e. transparent to the master, no compression, etc. -- basically as good as it gets).   ...

I think now it's clearer about lossless vs lossy   ;)

Not so fast...

Dolby TrueHD is lossless, but it is still compressed. The true uncompressed 5.1 is PCM 5.1. The new sound formats are more confusing than ever. 

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2708 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 10:21 AM »
Yes, it is confusing indeed...esp with the new HDMI 1.3 specs...will add salt into the wound...at the same time HDMI 1.4 is in process na  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2709 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 10:55 AM »
Only important thing for me is that the new sound formats can be used through analog. And its good that it does. I find it lame that manufacturers would rely solely on HDMI for the new sound formats. That would make it hard for them to penetrate the market w/ no backward compatibility.

In my perspective, since I upgrade often, I would not jump on the tech so early while its still expensive (+20k for HDMI?!). Cuz when the tech becomes mainstream & prices have dropped, you will be left with a hugely depreciated piece of equipment.  :-[ :'(

But thats just me.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:11 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2710 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:14 AM »
With all these new sound formats & HDMI, I sure hope that AVR companies like Yamaha would go back to releasing pure pre/pro's with HDMI & the new formats. I think there were a lot of these pre/pro's from different brands when DTS came out (heard of Denon & Pioneer). You can simply plug the processor as an "ADD ON" to your old receiver's analog ins and your old receiver functions simply as a power amp.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:17 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2711 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:20 AM »
With all these new sound formats & HDMI, I sure hope that AVR companies like Yamaha would go back to releasing pure pre/pro's with HDMI & the new formats. I think there were a lot of these pre/pro's from different brands when DTS came out. You can simply plug the processor as an "ADD ON" to your old receiver's analog ins and your old receiver functions simply as a power amp.
yeah...i agree.   I wouldnt mind CE manufacturers like YAMAHA releasing affordable pre/pros.   Denon did released a pre/pro.....pero flagship and its huge!!  wala rin...

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:24 AM by Munskie »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2712 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 12:50 PM »
Only important thing for me is that the new sound formats can be used through analog. And its good that it does.

Using analog for the new high def formats was more of an interim solution so that HD users can still use their current pre/pros and receivers whil watchng on the new players.   Many HD users already own high end pre/pros and receivers with HDMI 1.1 so they can stream 5.1 uncompressed LPCM coming from players via HDMI 1.1 

I find it lame that manufacturers would rely solely on HDMI for the new sound formats.

The new lossless formats are bandwidth hungry that can only be accommodated by HDMI1.3.  And HDMI 1.3 is backwards compatible.  Meaning connections from HDMI1.1 or 1.2 players can be accommodated. 

In my perspective, since I upgrade often, I would not jump on the tech so early while its still expensive (+20k for HDMI?!). Cuz when the tech becomes mainstream & prices have dropped, you will be left with a hugely depreciated piece of equipment.  :-[ :'(

But thats just me.  :)

Same here.  But I have to thank early adopters who do exactly that.  They sort of prove to the CE and studios that their new products are workable, the same way DVD was in the early days.  Then once the moneyed early adopters have bought their stuff, then we see a downward price trend as they start penetrating the masses.   ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 at 12:52 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2713 on: Jan 19, 2007 at 12:16 AM »
Yung HDMi is the only way you will be able to enjoy Dolby Digital Lossless audio. This won't work through analog or optical cable...

My mistake, I was reffering to the uncompressed audio used in some BD disc know as PCM 5.1, not the Dolby HD or Dolby 5.1 +. This will come out as ordinary Pro-logic audio through optical cable. You will need the HDMi connection for the digital multi-channel audio.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2007 at 12:18 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline ash0279

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • 1s = 1k
  • Liked:
« Reply #2714 on: Mar 06, 2007 at 05:20 PM »
hi all,

as a hifi newbie and a new owner of a 2nd hand yammy rx-v620, ive found this thread very helpful.
pls help me tweak this baby further:

ive been hearing a lot about "crossover cut off @ 90hz" related to yamaha's. is this the reason why im missing some bass punches w/ my setup? ( i dont have subwoofer. )

>speakers: Wharfedale diamond 9.1 main & WH2 center/bipolar surrounds.
>i even tried to use "LARGE" mode for the main speakers to force the LFE but i still cant feel the bass.
>bass extension = ON
>bass pot = + 2 db

So pleased w/ its HT performance, most specially with its DTS/DD decoding but im into pop/rock/new wave music most of the time so i need a punchy bass for audio application. I can recall my old Pioneer pro-logic amp do even produce better bass than my new baby the RX-V620.

if i cant fix this, i might be looking for a dedicated integrated amp for my 2ch audio purposes.

Offline almirage

• Collector
  • Be Honest In Every Dealings That You Make!!!
  • Liked:

Offline Galactus

• Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
« Reply #2716 on: Mar 08, 2007 at 04:44 PM »
Can anybody recommend a branded player below 25k which already has HDMI?

Am about to toss out my HTIB, more than 2 years na rin kasi, and I intend to go the separates route starting with the receiver.  Saw a Pioneer (DTS-ES and DD-EX capable for only 16k, component connections though)

TIA! 
Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline Lantis

• Collector
  • Dattebayo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2717 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 09:06 AM »
help naman po...

I currently have a Velo VX10 Series II with the following setup: Wharf 9.5, 9CS, and 9SR with Yamaha 659 as the receiver.  The Wharf's sounds too good that when using the subs, parang hindi ko sya marinig.  Kasi when I turn it off the sub and turn it on sa mga loud action scenes I don't hear a difference.  Ayos naman yung sub, I'm not sure what would be the right setting sa likod, or yung setting ng receiver?  Room size is around 4x4 meters (3.5 x 3.5 pa ata).  TIA!  ;D
Back from the grave!

Offline ash0279

• Collector
  • 1s = 1k
  • Liked:
« Reply #2718 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 02:52 PM »
hi,

i think thres a bit of mismatch in your avr's settings. im not particular w/ 659's settings but i guess, they have fairly similar setup menus with the 620 (my avr).

my assumptions which might help u tweak ur prob:

since your using a wharf 9.5 you have categorically set the type of front spk=LARGE
 >LARGE = LFE's (which your sub shoud catch will be directed to the Front speakers.
 >SMALL = LFE's will be directed to SUB-OUT provided that:
               > BASS = BOTH or SUB (if = MAIN, then sub-out will be bypassed)

i suggest to set all speakers to SMALL type muna kahit physically u can say that they're large enough (wharf 9.5 & 9CS)

hope this might help,
ash
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007 at 03:26 PM by ash0279 »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2719 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 03:07 PM »
You could also try increasing the output from the velo...

help naman po...

I currently have a Velo VX10 Series II with the following setup: Wharf 9.5, 9CS, and 9SR with Yamaha 659 as the receiver.  The Wharf's sounds too good that when using the subs, parang hindi ko sya marinig.  Kasi when I turn it off the sub and turn it on sa mga loud action scenes I don't hear a difference.  Ayos naman yung sub, I'm not sure what would be the right setting sa likod, or yung setting ng receiver?  Room size is around 4x4 meters (3.5 x 3.5 pa ata).  TIA!  ;D

Offline Lantis

• Collector
  • Dattebayo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2720 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 03:11 PM »
hi,

i think thres a bit of mismatch in your avr's settings. im not particular w/ 659's settings but i guess, they have fairly similar setup menus with the 620 (my avr).

my assumptions which might help u tweak ur prob:

since your using a wharf 9.5 you have categorically set the type of front spk=LARGE
 >LARGE = LFE's (which your sub shoud catch will be directed to the Front speakers.
 >SMALL = LFE's will be directed to SUB-OUT provided that:
               > BASS Main = BOTH or SUB (if = MAIN, then sub-out will be bypassed)

i suggest to set all speakers to SMALL type muna kahit physically u can say that they're large enough (wharf 9.5 & 9CS)

hope this might help,
ash

hi ericag,

increasing output? what do you mean by that? sa receiver or sa sub?

hi ash,

thanks for the advice, will try it as soon as I get home.  I remember setting the fronts to large kasi ano... large nga sya (9.5) heheheh  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007 at 03:13 PM by Lantis »
Back from the grave!

Offline ash0279

• Collector
  • 1s = 1k
  • Liked:
« Reply #2721 on: Apr 02, 2007 at 03:22 PM »
hehe, thats the irony of it.
siguro napagod na mga jap engineers nun dinesign itong concept ng speaker types menu. ;D

hi ash,

thanks for the advice, will try it as soon as I get home.  I remember setting the fronts to large kasi ano... large nga sya (9.5) heheheh  ;D

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2722 on: Apr 03, 2007 at 12:56 PM »

Hi,

From my setup... I can do it two ways.
1.  receiver... increase "bass" volume. (also use a Y cable with your velo, so your output from receiver can go to the left and right inputs on the velo).

2.  velo ... increase the volume level on the velo and/or use HT mode rather than rock or jass/classical mode. (I have a CHT12r)

Not sure if it will apply to your setup, but hope that helps a bit.

hi ericag,

increasing output? what do you mean by that? sa receiver or sa sub?

hi ash,

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2723 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 03:21 PM »
Magkano po ba yung ipod dock YDS-10?  And where is it available?

Anybody who has this?  Sulit ba?

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #2724 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 07:16 AM »
basing on what i have read on this thread that the yammy's are not that good in 2-channel stereo compared to other brands. can this be remedied by using a power amp for stereo listening? can a big old jap surplus power amp equates or perhaps exceed in sound quality when mated with them? just a scenario when comparing them avr's from the likes of denon, hk & etc with the same price range though.

thanks ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2007 at 07:25 AM by GneW »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2725 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 12:38 PM »
IME, that may be true if you rely on the DAC (preamp) of the Yamaha for music (digital via DVDp for example). But IMO, it is not the case of you use a good CDP (analog), + easier to drive speakers (ie; avoid 4 ohm speakers).

The amp section of the higher models (1000-2000 series) are not bad for audio (w/ a good CDp).

my 2 cents
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2007 at 12:40 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #2726 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 01:49 AM »
matz,

for the models below 1000 series, is the 2-ch stereo sound not good "only" on critical listening? but if it sounds fair on party music i can live with that. i am using my lowly charlize/tono pre-amp combo for audio.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2727 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 11:57 AM »
matz,

for the models below 1000 series, is the 2-ch stereo sound not good "only" on critical listening? but if it sounds fair on party music i can live with that. i am using my lowly charlize/tono pre-amp combo for audio.

Used to have the 650 & 450. for party music or non critical listening, I guess they can do. Just make sure your AVR is well ventilated if you use the 7 channel stereo mode.

I wasnt able to try the "good CDP" recommendation I mentioned above on these models (didnt have a CDp that time yet).

You are using mid level speakers right? dapat mid level AVR's din.  ;) (kantyaw!)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2007 at 11:58 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline ash0279

• Collector
  • 1s = 1k
  • Liked:
« Reply #2728 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 01:01 PM »
IME too, sir matzter is right. currently, im using the 620, indeed its not an "out-of-the-box" good audio amp unit. AFAIK, major downside here is the 90Hz crossover freq - causing the lack of booms for a 2ch audio app.

I was able to tweak this by:
> adding a low-end subwoofer and turning off the +6db bass extension switch.
> acquired an old Technics CDP w/ a good DAC from a fellow pdvd'er, and hooked if up using the analog CD input.

result? i was able to satisfy my 2 ears and a "not bad" comment from an audio purist friend :)

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2729 on: May 27, 2007 at 09:07 AM »

Sirs,
Can my 450 drive a 9.4 and 9.1 at the same time as fronts,
while the rest of the channels drive a 9CM and WH2 surrounds?
 ;D Need advice before i ruin my avr...
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS