Author Topic: Yamaha Receivers  (Read 400975 times)

Offline ash0279

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • 1s = 1k
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Yamaha Receivers
« Reply #2730 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 04:46 PM »
hi docelmo,
u might want to try that right away (A+B setup) but just be careful on turning up the volume.. pakiramdaman nalang ika nga..

for me, this worked using A=MA Rs6 and B=wharf 9.1 under the 620
..setting aside technicalities, i think think this only works well w/ HT setup, but for a constant
beating for a 5ch +B spkrs, i found the 620 giving off heat beyond normal rate thats why i immediately
turned this setup off.

Sirs,
Can my 450 drive a 9.4 and 9.1 at the same time as fronts,
while the rest of the channels drive a 9CM and WH2 surrounds?
 ;D Need advice before i ruin my avr...

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2731 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 06:02 PM »
Mga sirs,
May I ask if it is really a big step up to buy newer generations of Yamaha receivers. I am using a old RX-V995 (100w/5ch.) and I was thinking of upgrading to a RX-V659. Besides the obvious new features like 7.1ch, PLIIx, 96/24 DAC, YPAO, etc. Can you say that in terms of basic sound quality for movies/music, power per ch., and basic surround sound, is there an obvious improvement?
I really don't need 7.1ch since my room is small and my sofa is against the back wall and I noticed that most new films are still based on the 5.1 soundtrack only but I'm willing to upgrade for improve sound ( for music and movies) and power.   
Thanks.

Offline ash0279

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • 1s = 1k
  • Liked:
« Reply #2732 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 10:47 AM »
hi allan, setting aside technicalities of course, we cant compare apple-to-apple between older yammies vs newer generations.
but since you were after sound quality, i think this is a very subjective issue and most likely a debatable one :)

i suggest, if youre on the lookout for a nice sound quality, you might want to consider investing more on your sources (dvd / cd player and of course the speakers--your fronts and center). however, if you already have the php 30k+ worth of speakers, then i suggest now is the time to upgrade your amp/receiver.

just my thoughts sir..

Mga sirs,
May I ask if it is really a big step up to buy newer generations of Yamaha receivers. I am using a old RX-V995 (100w/5ch.) and I was thinking of upgrading to a RX-V659. Besides the obvious new features like 7.1ch, PLIIx, 96/24 DAC, YPAO, etc. Can you say that in terms of basic sound quality for movies/music, power per ch., and basic surround sound, is there an obvious improvement?
I really don't need 7.1ch since my room is small and my sofa is against the back wall and I noticed that most new films are still based on the 5.1 soundtrack only but I'm willing to upgrade for improve sound ( for music and movies) and power.   
Thanks.

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2733 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 12:38 PM »
Mga sirs,
Thanks.

If it were me, I would not upgrade this way. It may just be a "sidegrade". If you really want a surefire improvement in SQ, try to get the higher models (1000 to 2000 series) for a true "up" grade.

I had a 6 series Yammy before & now a 2000 series. Believe me, they sound different. Its not just the features or price of a few more watts. Its the whole HT experience.

I have read in threads here that Yamaha's are not good for audio: I disagree. The higher models are not so bad for audio IMO (w/ easy to drive speakers), just not as good as a dedicated 2 channel setups (syempre naman!). Just add a good CDp & ok na ok na!

The only problem is that the price of the 2000 series have skyrocketed w/ the addition of HDMI.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2007 at 12:51 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2734 on: Jun 13, 2007 at 01:28 PM »
Mga sirs,
Thanks.

I agree with Sir Matz. IMO, an upgrade from a 995 would be the 1700 or 2700, not the 659  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2007 at 01:30 PM by Reymer »

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2735 on: Jun 14, 2007 at 09:45 PM »
Thanks guys for your inputs! Though, this is what I'm afraid off, coming from a RX-v995, I have this feeling that an "upgrade" would mean 1k to 2k series.  :-\ I was hoping that the "trickle down" technology, most hifi magz boast about, would mean I can get a new less expensive (mid model) rcvr with past higher model performance.   
I guess it's too good to be true.  :'(

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2736 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 10:13 AM »
I have actually researched Yamaha's "trickle down" technology. Since Yamaha is a semi conductor company, the trend is that they trickle down their older LSI chips to the lower models every 4 years (approx), with top models like A series having multiple chips. The flagship Z9 has 4 processors!!!

BUT... I cant seem to find the chipset of the new models in my research, they do not mention it anymore...

So you may not know what you are getting.

Thanks guys for your inputs! Though, this is what I'm afraid off, coming from a RX-v995, I have this feeling that an "upgrade" would mean 1k to 2k series.  :-\ I was hoping that the "trickle down" technology, most hifi magz boast about, would mean I can get a new less expensive (mid model) rcvr with past higher model performance.  
I guess it's too good to be true.  :'(

There is still an option. If you are sure you wont be using HDMI, Get NOS (new old stock) Yamaha 1000 & 2000 series. You may be able to get them at the price of the 659 plus a few k's.  It would still definitely be an upgrade.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2007 at 10:15 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #2737 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 11:25 AM »
magkano po ang 2700 ?

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #2738 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 11:32 AM »
magkano po ang 2700 ?

inquired it 2 days ago, price for 2700 is a whooooooping P72,500.00  ;D ;D

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2739 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 02:49 PM »
mga sir, magkano na po ang bnew rx-v 659 ngaun?
parang hindi pa ako convinced sa 661 e, hindi pa ata supported ang new HD formats... mas logical ata ang 659 vs 661  ;D 

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2740 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 03:12 PM »
mga sir, magkano na po ang bnew rx-v 659 ngaun?
parang hindi pa ako convinced sa 661 e, hindi pa ata supported ang new HD formats... mas logical ata ang 659 vs 661  ;D 
RX-V661 supports HD na po
RX-V659 = d pa for HD

you may want to check the marketplace, someone is selling his yammy 659 at p24500.  ;)

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2741 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 04:36 PM »
kaya na po bang magdecode ng 661 ng Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD?

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2742 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 04:59 PM »
HDMI V1.2 yata ang 661, if i understood it right, dapat v1.3 to be able to decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD, and i read it somewhere that there are 2 kinds of DTS-HD, hay naku  ??? ::) ;D

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2743 on: Jun 15, 2007 at 05:05 PM »
 ;D akala ko ako lang ang nalilito sa HD formats, hay kelan kaya magstabilize and HD  ???

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #2744 on: Jun 19, 2007 at 10:40 AM »
 :o malupit pala presyo nyan!

inquired it 2 days ago, price for 2700 is a whooooooping P72,500.00  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2007 at 10:42 AM by juric »
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2745 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 08:15 PM »
anyone in singapore or dubai here??

I am guessing the 2700 is 40% cheaper elsewhere.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2746 on: Jun 29, 2007 at 10:34 PM »
mga sir, pa-advise naman po...
kaya po bang i-power ng yammy 559 ang mission M31i at M3c2i? maganda ba ang tunog ng ganitong combi?
gagamitin ko po sana mostly for HT  Grin

maraming salamat po...

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2747 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM »
Would just like to ask if anyone has heard the Yammy 659 paired with B&W 600 series? How does it fair in audio?
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2748 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 08:16 AM »
i read it somewhere that there are 2 kinds of DTS-HD, hay naku  ??? ::) ;D

Yep. DTS-HD Master Audio & DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. Very confusing indeed.  ;D

More info: DTS Online

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2749 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 08:36 AM »
Can someone with a RXV 2500 please confirm if the remote control's model number is RAV-351?

TIA  :)

RXV-2500 owner here..my remote says RAV-352 but mine is the US/Canada model. So it might be 351 for the asian model.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2750 on: Jul 17, 2007 at 10:49 AM »
Thanks Peks, I already had a replacement remote (352) a few months ago.  :) 351 doesnt work very well w/ the 2500.

Would just like to ask if anyone has heard the Yammy 659 paired with B&W 600 series? How does it fair in audio?

I would recommend try to get at least the top 2 mid receiver models (35-60k) of any receiver brand to match the mid level B&W 600 series. Or use it with power amps.

IMO, mid level speakers are more revealing than their entry level counterparts, same is true w/ mid receivers w/ better processors. So it would be an utter waste to use a revealing speaker to a less revealing receiver . And we are not talking about the improved power supply of the mid receivers yet...

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2007 at 11:48 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2751 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
mga bros, what affordable mid-level speaker set is best paired with Yamaha 659?
I will use it together with a 5-ch power amp and intended to use for 70/30 HT/audio.
Many thanks!
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2007 at 05:47 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2752 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 05:58 PM »
I will use it together with a 5-ch power amp and intended to use for 70/30 HT/audio.
Many thanks!

Kef Q Series. Im using it with a yamaha DSPA1. Bang for the Buck!

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2753 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 06:06 PM »
Kef Q Series. Im using it with a yamaha DSPA1. Bang for the Buck!

sir kefq, saan po available ang kefq speaker set and magkano kaya?
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2007 at 06:52 PM by threadlock »
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2754 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 01:18 PM »
sir kefq, saan po available ang kefq speaker set and magkano kaya?

Try Sonny Tuason of The Home Theater or Sound Dimesion in Park Square if they have New Old Stocks.A Kef Q1 is arounf 17k. I have 2 pairs of Q1 and a Matching Q9C and been using them since I started in this hobby.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2755 on: Aug 18, 2007 at 01:42 PM »
Many thanks!

Since you have power amps to handle the speakers, you can even go for the harder to drive (but great sounding) speakers of the mid range category. Suggestions:

Dynaudio Audience
B&W 6 series
Mission 5 series
Monitor Audio RS series
Paradigm
Dali Ikon

This also lessens the upgrade fever. >:D
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 11:47 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2756 on: Aug 22, 2007 at 09:34 PM »
Mga sir i just need some advice from you...Mag setup po ako ng HT ko by September (At long last!). Planning to buy Yamaha receiver to pair with Wharf 9.5 and probably Velodyne VX-10 sub (entry level). Pero I got some advice that Yamaha is a little bit thin when it comes to sound and I need powerful receiver like HK, Marantz or Denon to drive my speaker. Before, my mind is set to buy Yamaha but now I'm thinking twice if I'm going to buy Yame or one of those receivers that they say is better.  What can you say about this?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2757 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 12:15 PM »
Mga sir i just need some advice from you...Mag setup po ako ng HT ko by September (At long last!). Planning to buy Yamaha receiver to pair with Wharf 9.5 and probably Velodyne VX-10 sub (entry level). Pero I got some advice that Yamaha is a little bit thin when it comes to sound and I need powerful receiver like HK, Marantz or Denon to drive my speaker. Before, my mind is set to buy Yamaha but now I'm thinking twice if I'm going to buy Yame or one of those receivers that they say is better.  What can you say about this?

I also found the HK200 series thin sounding compared to my 600 series HK. Thats why I keep recommending mid level receivers cuz they sound fuller, Yammies included. What people say about yammies sounding thin & not that good in music applies only to its entry levels, IMhO.

A more powerful receiver? You might have to pay a higher price for that, as most entry level power levels are almost the same, as I read in a HT article, the manufacturers are severely limited in their budget w/ sub-$500 receivers. Just be sure to get a model w/ pre outs. So you can add power amps in the future for more power.

Maybe its the warmer sound that you are looking for. Onkyo entry levels are very warm sounding but I would never personally recommend them w/ the warm Wharfe's, as they will not complement each other (too warm, no more details). And no pre outs too :'(

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 12:37 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2758 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
Just bought B&W 602s3 and Wharf DFS.9 from SGT The Home Theater last August 15.  This is to replace my generic DIY front and surround speakers driven by my Yamaha RXV550.  Wow, the difference in sound quality is night and day!!  Now I realized what I am missing for the past 3 years with the old generic speaker set up, being a 90/10 (HT/music) user.  I dunno why peple say that 602s3 are "hard to drive" speakers, actually it is not.  My Yammy 550 drives these 602 with ease, mainly because the 602 is rated at 90db sensitivity.  And the sound is full bodied, not "manipis" as usually mentioned here.  In fact, I have to reduce the sub's and receiver's tone settings by 2 notches as compared to my old speakers.  I tried this set-up in karaoke, using Yammy's "Concert Hall" DSP and Shure SM58 microphone, my voice quality improved 10-folds!!!  :D ;D :)

My next project is the Velo CHT-R12, to replace my US Audio 12" sub. ::)
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2007 at 09:35 PM by fnvillafuerte »
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2759 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 10:29 PM »

sir naku in this hobby there seems to be little cure sa SARS. if i where you i will follow the suggestion of Matz. I have made mistakes na several times which I am trying to correct now. I have a Yamaha amp and a Marantz just bought another Yamaha last sunday  ???

I like the Yamaha over the Marantz  :D Yun nga lang yung Marantz may pre-outs kahit entry level lang  ;) Try to audition also the Wharf Evo series.