Author Topic: Dynaudio Speakers  (Read 128762 times)

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2003 at 01:00 AM »
finally got my front speaker upgrade yesterday night!...Audience 52 (black ash)...from what i've listened to so far...worth every single centavo!

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2003 at 09:50 PM »
congrats on your new dynaudio. btw what amp do you use to drive the dynes

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2003 at 11:35 AM »

i'm driving it with a rotel  rb-1080 2-channel amp using a passive 2-channel preamp assembled by tubes-guru hyperaudio! tight and punchy bass is amazingly clean even at loud settings. silk dome tweeters are very forgiving to poorly mastered CDs.

Offline MeowPao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2003 at 04:00 PM »

i'm driving it with a rotel  rb-1080 2-channel amp using a passive 2-channel preamp assembled by tubes-guru hyperaudio! tight and punchy bass is amazingly clean even at loud settings. silk dome tweeters are very forgiving to poorly mastered CDs.

Nice setup Tuff!  :)
Question lang, aside from the body, is the front also black-colored?

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2003 at 08:13 PM »
can a tube pre/power amp drive this speakers.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2003 at 08:16 PM »

Nice setup Tuff!  :)
Question lang, aside from the body, is the front also black-colored?

thanks! yup all-black sir meowpao.

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 09:44 AM »
Question guys,

can a yammie 430  drive an audience 42 speaker without problem? My room is approx 5 m x 7 m.

What store sells them cheap? Thanks.

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 10:33 AM »
can a yammie 430  drive an audience 42 speaker without problem? My room is approx 5 m x 7 m.

when i listened to this combination, they sounded thin. i think a bigger amp. will give justice to dynaudio speakers. they are sold by the listening in style stores in megamall, shangrila plaza, festival mall.

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 11:02 AM »
Thanks for the 1st hand info ariel, I guess Ill have to remove dynaudio speakers from my list of upgrades, else Ill be forced to upgrade my receiver also  :(.. dont have enough budget for receiver upgrade eh.

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 11:25 AM »
Hi titanium,
 when i said they sounded thin, it doesn't mean that they don't sound good. they sounded good but you can still get more if you have better amps. the best thing to do is to listen for yourself. dynaudio speakers are one of the best around.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 04:48 PM »
Question guys,

hi titanium!

like ariel, i also suggest that you audition the yamaha-audience combo at Listening In Style...look for Johan, he's real cool. to get some great advice, i suggest you go directly to JR.

anway, based on my (still) very short (but sweet!) experience with the audience 52, i find that it sounds better when matched with a higher rated amp.  however, this does not mean that its not great with more regularly powered receiver. if you listen to light music using a 35 wpc tube amp (e.g. dynaco st-70) or an 60 or 80 wpc solid state receiver amp, the only very obvious difference you get from a 200wpc amp, it seems, is a slightly louder output.

clarity, openness, tightness and warmth is not at all compromised when hooked up to a regular (< 100 wpc) amp. indeed, very few speakers that fall in the $500/pair-and-below price category can offer the quality you get from a pair of 42s without having to use muscle amps.

you may still hear some difference if, for example, you listen to material that's filled with kick drum and upright bass lines using, say, thx-certified amps. dynamic range seems to be wider/deeper too with bigger amps. other than this, i really don't hear nor feel much of a difference.

anyway, that's just me. visit LIS one of these days to find out for yourself.

happy hunting!

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 09:47 AM »
tuff_u_gong / ariel,,

Good point you two, I think I have to hear it first because dynes are on top of my list for speaker upgrade.

Tuff, what branch of listening in style si Johan. I really like to audition yung yammie 430 plus audience 42 or 52 combination.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 03:45 PM »
tuff_u_gong / ariel,,

Good point you two, I think I have to hear it first because dynes are on top of my list for speaker upgrade.

Tuff, what branch of listening in style si Johan. I really like to audition yung yammie 430 plus audience 42 or 52 combination.

sa LIS (shangri-la) ko madalas maabutan is Johan (pronounced Yo-han, as in Johanne Sebastian Bach--tama ba spelling?). i suggest you call first before you go para maka-timing ka na di sya gaanong busy.

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 12:59 PM »
Hi Tuff, si Johan ba yung matangkad at payat?  :)

Hi Titanium,
Why don't you also try other models since you'll be there auditioning already? :)
Aside from the Yamaha 430, try the 1300, 2300, and RXZ1  :o, so you can compare.
I Can't remember if they have Denons over at LIS, but you can also try them.
Kung may NAD yan ang try mo!  I never had the chance to try this... :)

I suggest you get a mid-end receiver, since the 42s are 86db and 4ohms (compared to the typical 89db/8ohms ng mission m72) baka di kayanin ng entry level receivers.

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 01:14 PM »
meowPao,,

Thats exactly my apprehension since I dont have a budget for a receiver upgrade but I really need a set of front speakers for my second set up and instead of buying  a soso speaker, I will instead invest in a better speaker ( upgrade ) to replace  my m72 fronts and use the m72 for my second set up.. O di naka upgrade ako  ;) Im considering m51, audience 42 or any suggested speaker na bookshelves in the range of 15-20 K.

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 01:31 PM »
meowPao,,

Thats exactly my apprehension since I dont have a budget for a receiver upgrade but I really need a set of front speakers for my second set up and instead of buying  a soso speaker, I will instead invest in a better speaker ( upgrade ) to replace  my m72 fronts and use the m72 for my second set up.. O di naka upgrade ako  ;) Im considering m51, audience 42 or any suggested speaker na bookshelves in the range of 15-20 K.

Hi Titanium,

The best is still for you to go to LIS for an audition. :)

It's not a big problem if you get the 42s...
- don't drive them loud... the amp will heat up quickly, and if you overdo it, baka masira both amp and speaker. Just play them at moderate levels.
- the dynes need a powerful amp to shine (this is why I am urging you to try out the higher model amps so you can hear, not to buy.. para next time you'll have an idea when you need to upgrade your amp).
- pang matagalan yang Dynes na yan  :)  it is unlikely you'll want to change/upgrade them... someone I know loves his Dynes soo much he's thinking of bringing it wherever he goes, via land, sea, or air (hmm...is he reading this??)  ;D

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2003 at 04:36 AM »
Hi Tuff, si Johan ba yung matangkad at payat?  :)

on the contrary, johan is short and stocky. very helpful.

Offline muscleboy

• Collector
  • Pinoy Canadian :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2003 at 11:43 AM »
meow,

hmmm.. ako yata tukoy mo a.. hehe.. i'll be bringing my all my dynaudios alright.. doble price sa canada e.. hehe..

maiwan na lahat pwera si misis, clothes, and my dynes..

;D xXx
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2003 at 02:35 PM »
meow,

hmmm.. ako yata tukoy mo a.. hehe.. i'll be bringing my all my dynaudios alright.. doble price sa canada e.. hehe..

maiwan na lahat pwera si misis, clothes, and my dynes..

;D xXx

hi xXx!

kelan ba biyahe , sir? OK na OK nga pala yung stands na pinasa mo sa akin!

anyway, baka magbago pa isip mo, sabihan mo ako kung last minute eh madisisyunan mong ibenta. (...la ba tax yan pag pinasok mo sa canada?)

Offline notaku

• Collector
  • No Life King
  • Liked:
Audience 42's on TNT-Audio
« Reply #49 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 12:22 AM »

Looking for a good bookshelf speaker?   ???  Read this shout-out for the Dynaudio Audience 42's on one of the best excuses to expend internet bandwidth online today, TNT-Audio.  Whatever type of system you're putting together, budget or bananas, failure to audition these entry-level offerings from the world's greatest speaker manufacturer is an act of criminal negligence.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 12:56 AM »
Anyone have opinions on how the dynaudio subs fare musically? For example I'm fixed on a sub sat setup and get an dynaudio audience 42 or 52 will it be a good thing to audition them with dynaudio subs?

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 10:04 AM »
Anyone have opinions on how the dynaudio subs fare musically? For example I'm fixed on a sub sat setup and get an dynaudio audience 42 or 52 will it be a good thing to audition them with dynaudio subs?

Here is my take RE: Audience Line

I have been using Dynaudios since the Listening group first carried the line way back 1997 and the first thing that stands out is their outstanding musicality when partnered with the right electronics. The better the amp..the better the performance of the Dynes.
Just recently I experimented with my 6 year old Audience 40 bookshelf and I hooked it up to my Classe CA-1000 power amp (rated at 1 Kilowatt RMS) just to hear the Dynes when powered to the limit. The usual partner of my Audience 40 is a Classe CA350 (350 watts RMS) and it sound very good to my ears na but I just want to hear if these little Dynes can improve on their sound when powered to the limit. I was surprised to hear what the Audience 40 can do when powered by a very,very big amp.  super clean ang mid and High and the midbass was astounding given the fact that the speakers are only bookshelves. Close your eyes and the sound will fool you like it was coming from a bigger speaker. The speakers took to abuse that I threw at it in stride...ganun katibay yung Dynes.  
Contrary to popular belief...using a big amp sa Dynes (and all other speakers for that matter)  will improve all aspects of the presentation...low, mid and high. Mas cleaner din ang presentation since the limiting factor here will be the speakers mechanical capability na e...ruled out na yung distortion coming from having an over driven amp.

Yamaha electronics doesnt do justice to the capability of the Dyns. It doesnt bring out the best of the Dyns period. It just so happened that the Listening group is pushing the Yamaha line also which explains their use of the Yammies as a partner for the Dynes when auditioning...kinda like hitting two birds in one stone kung mabibili pareho right?. Since you will audition the Dynes I suggest you having them (Listening in Style) set up the speakers using seperate electronics ( a seperate amp is a must) ...not the Yamaha receivers that they are pushing in the market. Receivers just doesnt do justice to the Dynes. Its kinda like using the Dynes at around 50% of its capability when used with ANY A/V receiver for that matter.  Im sure pwede ka naman nilang pagbigyan with your request. Mababait naman mga staff ni JR.  If you can stretch your budget then get the Audience 52 or better yet a speaker from the Contour line. The addition of a sub to augment the bookshelves is a very good idea but audition the speakers without the use of a Subwoofer first so that you can hear the low end limit of the Dynes...not the sub.

Audience 42 or 52? Musically? In my opinion they are the best in their class and pricepoint. Nothing can touch the Audience line in their pricepoint when it comes to sheer musicality. Hell they can even blow away some speakers that cost twice as much. You will be astounded by their capability to deliver the goods specially the Mid and High (again: partner it with good electronics) Money well spent if you ask me.

PS:  I am not connected in any way to the Listening group nor to the Dynaudio group.  

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 10:26 AM »
I have the exact same combo that listener mentioned above: Dynes and a Yamaha. I got a mid-end Yamaha amp though (pero di sa LIS hehehe).  ;)

My decision here is, once I get the Dynes, pangmatagalan talaga yan. I can upgrade the electronics anytime without worrying about the speakers (considering that this is the entry level of Dynes). I started with a receiver now, and I might get separates in the near future.  :)

I've also closely examined the Contour 1.1 (and 1.3) physically, and I still have to see a flaw in worksmanship. This is one of the most perfectly made things I've seen. Sa gawa pa lang ng cabinet and speakers near perfect na, sa sound pa!  :)

rtsy

« Reply #53 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 10:32 AM »
Just recently I experimented with my 6 year old Audience 40 bookshelf and I hooked it up to my Classe CA-1000 power amp (rated at 1 Kilowatt RMS) just to hear the Dynes when powered to the limit. The usual partner of my Audience 40 is a Classe CA350 (350 watts RMS)

I think this combo is more than just sheer raw power driving Dynaudios.  Dynaudios and Classe have a magical synergy.  I heard this myself when I tried a CAP100 (if I remember correctly) w/ my Audience 40.

JR has some pre-owned Classe's for sale at fairly affordable prices.  Check out

http://www.geocities.com/acpsite/buysell.htm

Well, it's not at Rotel/NAD price levels but for what you're getting, it's a fair amount to pay.  Check out how Classes are constructed.

I posted listening notes on this Classe integrated at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinoydiophiles

Lastly, for more audio-oriented discussions, check out http://www.wiredstate.com/pinoydiophiles.

Newbies need not fear.  There is a Newbie section there where you are guaranteed not to be treated gently and patiently.  Just keep your savings safe.  He-he.

Offline listener

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Feb 19, 2003 at 05:01 PM »

My decision here is, once I get the Dynes, pangmatagalan talaga yan.

You got that right MeowPao. Ako nga six years ko nang gamit yung Dyna audience 40's ko super happy pa din ako sa performance nya.  Its as fresh as I first listened to it six years ago. Hindi nagbago ang performance nya. Value for your money talaga.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 12:18 AM »
I'm more concerned with synergy more than anything else which is why I'm asking on how the dynaudio subs fare musically, since I'm keen on getting either the audience 42 or 52.thanks for the insights, looks like I may have to save some more for my audio setup  :-\ ;D

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 12:30 PM »
hi guys!

read a comment somewhere that the new audience line (42, 52, 62, etc.) sounds boomier than the previous one.

any comments on this? notice any coloration resulting from this boominess?

tuff

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Mar 17, 2003 at 09:52 AM »
hey guys,

Im still saving for the dyne audience 42, my dream speaker. What is the cheapest receiver or amp (2 channel ) that you can recommend to power the dynes. Im on a tight budget, between 15-20 K lang. Meron kaya kahit secind hand?

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Mar 19, 2003 at 07:24 AM »
hey guys,

Im still saving for the dyne audience 42, my dream speaker. What is the cheapest receiver or amp (2 channel ) that you can recommend to power the dynes. Im on a tight budget, between 15-20 K lang. Meron kaya kahit secind hand?

hi titanium!

mukhang matindi tama ng upgrade bug sa'yo ah!
anyway, you might want to check out the post
of xinessys in the assorted buy & sell section. he's
selling a great pair of solid state musical
fidelity monoblocks.

you may want to check out hyperaudio or sonny
tuazon for great second hand stuff too.
i won't recommend the use of a tube amp like
the ST-70, for the dynaudio though.

just my 2 cents.

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Mar 19, 2003 at 08:06 AM »
thanks tuff,

matindi nga yata, the more I read about it the more I want to have it  :o  Para gumaan ang loob ko,  I just thnk that this upgrade is for audio set up naman. Anyway, I was really aspiring for a tube amp pero if its not advisable, then Ill look for a ss power amp or receiver na mataas ang power, am I right ?