Author Topic: Dynaudio Speakers  (Read 129145 times)

Offline theblue

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #450 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM »
Let's put things in perspective first...the A40's will never be on the same level as the NS777 in terms of sheer bass weight and SPL. That deficiency is probably what you are noticing when you sabi itch from A to B. To begin with the specs of the NS777 suits your Denon receiver very well but OTOH the A40's will need more. More not in the sense of more wattage but in current which your Denon is not capable of delivering. It is not the DAC that is wanting but the amp. Dynes love big SS derived power and while one can drive it from tubes it will be very expensive if you do so (you will need BIG tube amps).

I've done so many matches with my A40's as well based on a medium sized room and I found out that a 125 watts per channel amp @4 ohms WITH high current capability meaning it can still double at 2 ohms is precisely the ticket to make this small jewel shine in its true glory.

If you are in my area (South) you can bring your Dynes over and we can hook it up to a 200w per channel high current amp and you will see the difference.

Thanks sir for the advice. I know that the a40 would really loose against ns-777 in SPL and bass. But you're right,  I am looking for that sweet music from these speakers and I just can't feel it with my denon. It totally lacks something I can't explain. It feels dull. I'm very much happy to go to your place and bring the dynes.
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline theblue

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #451 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM »
As others have said  your dyns needs more current . i once owned a denon 4306 paired with the same dyn 40 . the sound is not that impressive . when i tried a rotel, ati and a mark levinson amp . the sound was totally different. 
You mean sir even with high powered 43xx from denon wouldn't make any difference?  I'm now realizing that making these dynes sing would be along way for me. Specially that my gears right now are for ht.
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 898
« Reply #452 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM »
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/dynaudio_audience40.htm

Review Summary

Sound:    Excellent dynamics at a wide range of volume levels; sharply delineated transients; clear imaging and tight bass.

Features:    Port plugs allow for bass adjustment; crossover uses all polypropylene capacitors and air-core inductors.

Use:    Small enclosure and liberal stand requirements allow for very flexible placement; moderately difficult 4-ohm load requires an appropriate amplifier.

Value:    Reminiscent more of a scaled-down $2000 minimonitor than a typical $699 speaker.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #453 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 03:06 PM »
Amps.... Give them dedicated amps with lots of juice.

Totally agree, atleast an amp that is 4ohm stable since those dynes are 2-4ohm range. But once you give it the power it needs, naku po napakaganda talaga.

Online panzer

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #454 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 04:43 PM »

yes sir dynes even the low end models needs some high current amp to really sing .
vpi/cj/plinius/musicalfidelity/rega/sonus faber/dynaudio/rotel/revel/denon/integra/dali

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 06:31 PM »
Dynaudio is a firm believer of big voice coils for their woofers. It's not the inefficiency of the cross overs that require a lot of current...it's those 3 inch voice coils in the A40's. To put things in perspective a LOT of 12 - 15 inch commercial subwoofers have 2.5 inch VC's....the A40 has a 5.25 woofer with a 3 inch VC.
The SVS SB13 Ultra has a 3 inch VC. The lowest speaker in the Dynaudio range has the same size VC. That comparison in itself speaks volumes of the engineering prowess of Dynaudio in cramming that VC in a very small woofer.
Moving those VC's do require a lot of drive from the amp. If the amp loses steam as the impedance goes down then the amp loses grip of those VC's and coherence suffers a lot.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2013 at 06:40 PM by synchro_01 »
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline armymanhaha

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #456 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 08:40 PM »
Dynaudio just recently introduced an 8-ohm version of the Excite series. Perhaps entry level users with low current amps might wanna look out for that. Intayin nyo nalang ma release sa SEA. Di ko lang alam kung 3-inch VC gamit nila dun although using a 3-inch VC doesnt necessarily mean awesome SQ. It still depends on the overall implementation of the speaker.
"Audiophools layuan nyo ako"

Offline theblue

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Sep 22, 2013 at 09:27 PM »
Thank you sirs for your very good inputs. Now I have quite a grasp of why it needs too much power to back it up. 3inch choice coils sounds really good as it is. I'll try to bring it to sir synchro_01 space to really hear it. Thanks sir for all your help. I'll keep you all posted once I've heard my a40s sing properly.

Offline Limbaga

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Sep 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM »
Hi sirs, I just got my 1st dynaudio speakers. Audience 40. Trying to use it with my denon 1912 but I'm not very satisfied with the sound. Maganda pero parang may kulang. My source is cd in pc connected using Hdmi to denon. Any suggestions or inputs are greatly appreciated.

Sir, Denon 1912 can only handle loads from 6 -8ohms load or higher....therefore it will have a hard time driving your dynes, which are 4-ohms.  There are only a few AVR's in the market which can handle dynes, because they are equipped with 4-ohm capability, such as Onkyo (asian version/220V version), Cambridge audio AVR's. and also as suggested by our fellow Pdvd members to consider also using a higher wattage amp to make it sing.       

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #459 on: Sep 26, 2013 at 08:51 AM »
Hi sirs, I just got my 1st dynaudio speakers. Audience 40. Trying to use it with my denon 1912 but I'm not very satisfied with the sound. Maganda pero parang may kulang. My source is cd in pc connected using Hdmi to denon. Any suggestions or inputs are greatly appreciated.

I've tried to use these AVRs already with Dyns:

Denon
Marantz
NAD (integrated)

Only NAD is rated for 4 ohms, but I preferred the Marantz combo. I know the newer Denons have the same innards with Marantz so it should sound similar but I think I have an old Denon as they sounded badly flat as compared with the full bodied vocals from the Marantz. NAD plays is a bit harsher though and not as smooth, but that's just for vocals as they can excel in instrumentals/acoustic.

BTW, what's your source?
Be better than the Theater.

Offline mikeer2002ph

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Jan 26, 2014 at 06:00 PM »
I just stumbled upon this in YouTube

how dynes are made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8Ck8UzCOE
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Jun 11, 2014 at 04:01 PM »

The X14 is the most compact Excite model yet delivers true high-end sound quality to any system by virtue of its long-excursion mid/woofer, refined soft dome tweeter and first-class crossover components. The exquisite sonic balance, underscored by an unbelievably deep, fast and perfectly controlled bass response is a rarity in this price class.

A Dynaudio specialty plays a major role: extremely lightweight aluminium voicecoils and exceptionally large, powerful magnet systems are utilized in the X14 tweeters and mid/woofers. The music signal reproduced is graced with incredible precision, dynamics and accuracy. Moreover, the X14 is easy to drive with a wide range of amplifiers due to the amp-friendly extremely linear 8 Ohm impedance.

The beautifully-crafted cabinet is equally refined: exquisite natural wood or satin lacquer finishes enoble the rigid, solid enclosure while the minimal distance between tweeter and mid/woofer serves to improve timing and phase. The Dynaudio Stand 3X speaker stands, SF1 speaker feet, and assorted wall mount brackets are perfect accessories available for optimizing placement of the X14.
PAS - Philippine Audio Society - VM PasiguenIYO

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Jun 12, 2014 at 01:03 PM »
ETA? :)

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Jun 12, 2014 at 01:07 PM »
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2014 at 01:08 PM by jjohnc »

Offline Plebe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #464 on: Jun 12, 2014 at 06:58 PM »
Price range?

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Jun 15, 2014 at 07:54 PM »
After several years of selling my Audience 42, 52, and then Focus 140... I dipped my ears again with an offer I couldn't resist from the Marketplace.... The Contour 1.1! I never heard it before but my friend, who introduced me to Dynaudio while I was starting, kept telling me that the 1.1 was his dream speaker.

So I queued.... And got it! Oh man, I love it!

It's much better than the Audience. I loved the sharp imaging of the 42 and the scale and bass of the 52. The Contour 1.1 has both but with a sweeter sound. Less in-your-face which some might call dull. But it all made sense to me. It was more real. The singer is behind the speakers. There is less excitement but definitely more emotion.

I loved the Focus 140 as well but it was too boomy for my very small living room.

I was only planning to keep this Contour 1.1 while waiting for the New Excite X14... But I now think I'll be keeping this for now until I can save up for the more current Contour or Confidence lines!

I feel liberated by Dynaudio once again!  ;D

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Jun 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM »
One always returns to that Dynaudio house sound. Congrats Myki. Yep Contours are so different from Audience and the Excite. It is voiced more for music rather than HT but it can do both with flying colors. The next logical upgrade would be the Confidence line.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 05:29 AM »
Thanks synchro_01! I'm checking the LIS pricelist. The C1 200 MkII is P305k, C1 Signature is P326k, but the Contour S 1.4 is only P135k.

It looks like I'm only willing to stay at the Contour level. Is the C1 really worth almost 3x the price of the Contour?

Also, at the P326k, I'm sure many more speaker options are available which I haven't heard. Although I really want the Dynaudio sound, brand, and company.

Offline Cjtjader

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Lux Lucis Volo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #468 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 06:41 AM »
@myki
    If you have the room and proper amplification, C1 is worth every penny.:-).....and Imho, choosing Contour S1.4 over the Xcite would be a wiser decision! Goodluck!...:)
Perspicuus ~ Quietus ~ Consilium ~ Patefacio

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
Dynaudio Speakers
« Reply #469 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 01:50 PM »
Thanks for that info Cal! Time to save. I'm sure your cables will make my Contour sound even better :-)

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Jun 19, 2014 at 04:57 PM »
@myki
    If you have the room and proper amplification, C1 is worth every penny.:-).....and Imho, choosing Contour S1.4 over the Xcite would be a wiser decision! Goodluck!...:)
++100000000000000000 :)

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Jun 19, 2014 at 04:58 PM »

The X14 is the most compact Excite model yet delivers true high-end sound quality to any system by virtue of its long-excursion mid/woofer, refined soft dome tweeter and first-class crossover components. The exquisite sonic balance, underscored by an unbelievably deep, fast and perfectly controlled bass response is a rarity in this price class.

A Dynaudio specialty plays a major role: extremely lightweight aluminium voicecoils and exceptionally large, powerful magnet systems are utilized in the X14 tweeters and mid/woofers. The music signal reproduced is graced with incredible precision, dynamics and accuracy. Moreover, the X14 is easy to drive with a wide range of amplifiers due to the amp-friendly extremely linear 8 Ohm impedance.

The beautifully-crafted cabinet is equally refined: exquisite natural wood or satin lacquer finishes enoble the rigid, solid enclosure while the minimal distance between tweeter and mid/woofer serves to improve timing and phase. The Dynaudio Stand 3X speaker stands, SF1 speaker feet, and assorted wall mount brackets are perfect accessories available for optimizing placement of the X14.

dumating na po mga Sir....

Offline armymanhaha

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Jun 19, 2014 at 06:27 PM »
Pabulong naman cash price sa x14

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Jun 19, 2014 at 07:16 PM »
Pabulong naman cash price sa x14
Leas 10 % po

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 02:18 PM »
Ok! So far most advice leans toward the C1. I'll enjoy the Contour 1.1 first and save up for that. After a few more months of revisiting my CD collection, I'll try to audition the C1. Thanks!

@myki

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #475 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 02:47 PM »
Myki if purchased by a batchmate like you, there is a special price.
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 03:33 PM »
Ok! So far most advice leans toward the C1. I'll enjoy the Contour 1.1 first and save up for that. After a few more months of revisiting my CD collection, I'll try to audition the C1. Thanks!

May pa dating akang C1Platinum next month na sa HK na yung ship...pwede e audition bago ko gamitin...I am pretty sure ibang level of SQ...dapat busog sa amplification para mas maganda...
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2014 at 03:30 PM by jjohnc »

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
Re: Dynaudio C1 Platinum vs ???
« Reply #477 on: Jun 25, 2014 at 03:38 PM »
Schedule tyo ng shoot-out...DYna C1 Platinum vs kahit anong bookshelf basta 2 way din dapat...sino pwede mag sponsor ng venue (sorry hindi pwede samin my place is under renovation)...pwede din ako mag dala ng power amp kung kailangan....TIA  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2014 at 03:39 PM by jjohnc »

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Jun 25, 2014 at 07:49 PM »
Uy! Maganda iyan :-) I'll bring the budget amp series but still with 350W per channel.

Offline jjohnc

• Kasapi
  • DVD Guru
  • Listening In Style
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Jun 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM »
Uy! Maganda iyan :-) I'll bring the budget amp series but still with 350W per channel.
sa place mo na,...o head count na mga boys...anong speaker pwede e A/B?