Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 107243 times)

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #390 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 07:01 PM »
congrats strider! hows the PQ of the ps3 compared w/ the hd-a1 in movies?

600bucks for a BD player is really tempting:) bonus na lang yung gaming capabilities;) my only gripe w/ the ps3 is that it does'nt have 5.1ch analog outputs. kelangan pa magupgrade ng avr to enjoy HD sound:P

Offline aldrinpsx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #391 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 10:24 PM »
Nice pix.... 4 more days for me. ;D ;D ;D

peace and blessing!!!

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #392 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 11:53 PM »
Good news!  Wireless keyboard and wireless mouse worked out of the box.  Also can now play mp4 HD files and m2t HD files.  You need to format the flash memory using PS3 and not windows.  Wow!

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:17 AM »
m2t and mp4 files worked as well when I used a Sony DVD+RW.  Check the avsforum (my handle there is weapon_x11).  Looks like video playing capability is now better than my XBOX360. Truly an HTPC replacement

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8885437#post8885437

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #394 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:29 AM »
Nice Sir Strider.

Keep them coming.

So do you highly recommend getting a PS3?

I noticed that this unit is really "open source".

Anyway, there is also a discussion about PS3 at the Tech Talk thread.
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:37 AM »
Strider-chan (I think I am older than you - he he he).

Do you have a D3 or D4 rated widescreen CRT?  If you do, could you possibly give feedback on the quality of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray viewing using an HDTV/pseudo HDTV/quasi HDTV/ CRT?  I think many members of this board would be very curious to know what to expect with their HDTV CRTs, as regards these 2 HD format.  I'm guessing HD quality would be better than OK (based on HD movie trailers downloaded through Xbox Live Marketplace) but not as stunning as an LCD or plasma of course.

Thanks ne.

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:52 AM »
I have the Sony 36HDF9 Hi Vision CRT (with VGA/BNC/Component/MUSE LD) inputs but no D4 as this is an old horse.  My daughter is using this to watch her videos in a separate room.  Everything looked amazing on this 34 inch 16:9 CRT esp. the XBOX360 so I would assume D4 input on the PS3 would be very good.  It already is on the AE-700 but I only have the HDMI input calibrated (big difference on HDMI vs component on a 100 inch screen but as I said, the component inputs I have yet to calibrate).

@nels, if you have the extra money, yes its highly recommended (but I'm easy to please - happy na ako sa wireless keyboard and laser mouse support. lol)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #397 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 09:09 AM »
According to one reviewer, he claims that blu-ray player response is very quick and even claims that it is the fastest among the Toshiba, Sony, and Matsucrapa HD players/ recorders.

Any truth to this?

I've read that DVD upsampling will be enabled in future firmware updates.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 09:41 AM »
priority for me though is how good the PQ is for BD movies compared to the stand alones of Samsung, Panasonic and soon to be released Sony and Pioneer BD players.  If it just as good PQ wise, then theres no doubt that the PS3 would be more of value, than the stand alone players, which hovers around $1000 and more.  Sacrifice na muna lossless sound coz walang analog 5.1 outputs....getting it through toslink at the healthy bitrate of 1.5mbps should sound very good already....... :)

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:10 AM »
Di na ako makahintay ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:45 AM »
congrats dagul!!!  ive seen M:i:III and is definitely one of the best transfers since it was shot in HD.  V for Vendetta also got great reviews for the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.  That King Kong is free right?  just wondering if they fixed the stampede scene...watching it in standard def aint good...the CGI effect doesnt look real...wonder how it would look in highdef.....nevertheless, it also got good initial reviews in AVS so I pre-ordered the title.... :)
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 10:51 AM by Munskie »

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #401 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
I have the Sony 36HDF9 Hi Vision CRT (with VGA/BNC/Component/MUSE LD) inputs but no D4 as this is an old horse.  My daughter is using this to watch her videos in a separate room.  Everything looked amazing on this 34 inch 16:9 CRT esp. the XBOX360 so I would assume D4 input on the PS3 would be very good.  It already is on the AE-700 but I only have the HDMI input calibrated (big difference on HDMI vs component on a 100 inch screen but as I said, the component inputs I have yet to calibrate).

@nels, if you have the extra money, yes its highly recommended (but I'm easy to please - happy na ako sa wireless keyboard and laser mouse support. lol)

Thanks Strider. Ok medyo convinced na ako based on feedbacks here and on IGN website.
Imagine browsing using the PS3 on your HDTV and the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Availability na lang dito sa pinas.
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:34 PM »
Thanks munskie.Yes,the KingKong HD-DVD is free.I might never go back to SD DVD,hehehe.I haven't tried if it will upconvert regular DVDs.Nevertheless,i'm very much satisfied. ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 03:41 PM »
Thanks Strider.  Yeah I know how awesome Xbox360 games look on a D4 widescreeen CRT as mine is connected to a 32DX850 full time.  The wife wouldn't allow me to use our LCD for gaming dahil JAMA raw ako when she's watching DVD or TFC. 

However, I'm very curious about quality of HD movies as viewed on HDTV CRT (because yon lang ang available sa bahay sa Pinas).  Kung meron kang time, hopefully, you'd be able to connect your XA1 or PS3 to the HDF9 through component and kindly give us a feedback on movie playback.

Thank you!

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 07:32 PM »
Finally played Resistance today and the game is like COD2 meets Halo.  If you're fan of COD2, you'll like Resistance.  Control was very responsive and gameplay was smooth.  I'm not a fan of FPS (only played COD2 on my 2.4Ghz  S939 Athlon 64 /ATI X800pro) and was just curious about Resistance.  Although the packaging was in Japanese, the game itself is 100 English (menu, control, subtitles everything)

@clondalkin, will see if I can test the CRT with Toshiba AX1 later this week (still have conference hanggang 11 pm tonight and will be busy the next few days).  Have to make money to sustain all these hobbies. Lol.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006 at 09:24 PM by striderhiryu1 »

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #405 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:55 PM »
This just in.....

Vivid to Bring First Adult Title to Blu-ray, HD DVD

Vivid girls in HighDef?   8)
A lot of stars will soon loose a lot of fans. :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 09:05 PM »
Thanks munskie.Yes,the KingKong HD-DVD is free.I might never go back to SD DVD,hehehe.I haven't tried if it will upconvert regular DVDs.Nevertheless,i'm very much satisfied. ;D
yeah, its very hard to go back to SD DVD.  Theres just really no turning back.  Ive stopped purchasing SD DVDs myself.  It will save me from double dips especially when HD goes mainstream.

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 03:43 AM »
I just can't get enough of HD.Finished watching MI3 and the PQ is really amazing.Next in line is Vendetta,then off to bestbuy.Ohhhh the itch. ;D

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 04:27 AM »
And  it begins.........

Shots were taken 1pm today 11/14/06 at CCITY in Rockville Maryland.. the number of people i guess is in 50++ already.number of unitsavailable at this store... 100. ;D ;D ;D

peace and blessing!!

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2006 at 04:32 AM by aldrinpsx »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #409 on: Nov 15, 2006 at 08:08 AM »
Whoa the trill of lining up & getting the gem! Good luck! :D

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 10:33 AM »
I went to Bestbuy and sampled their demo unit of PS3.Played a little bit of NBA 2K7,tried to quit the game but the start button wasn't working.Pressed the little button with the PS logo and nothing.Held the button for about 4 seconds then it went to a different menu.Selected Quit game,pressed X as stated,nothing happened.Hmmmm.....Maybe a defective controller or a bad demo unit.Graphics was ok.I would probably buy the PS3 because of blueray but for games,I'd stick with my Xbox 360. ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 08:54 AM »
I went to Bestbuy and sampled their demo unit of PS3.Played a little bit of NBA 2K7,

Meron nang NBA2K7 for the PS3 sa US? 
The only game you can actually try sa demo booths in Tokyo is RR7, which, in my opinion is one of the most boring games there is.   Simply not my cup of tea despite being eye-candy.   Ayaw nilang palitan ng Resistance man lang despite my requests..he he he.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 09:02 AM »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 03:43 PM »
I would probably buy the PS3 because of blueray but for games,I'd stick with my Xbox 360. ;D

Are you referring to the 360's game library or its graphics?

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 02:38 AM »
Clondalkin,

Yup,meron ng NBA 2K7 dito for the PS3.Also,Tony Hawk's Proj. 8,Madden 07 and NHL 2K7.

Munskie,

One word sir,Amazing!

Indie boi,

Yup,both game library and graphics IF we're to base it on this next gen. consoles, xbox 360 and PS3 only.Magkakatalo lang talaga sa games that are exclusive to a particular console.

;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 08:18 AM »
Magkakatalo lang talaga sa games that are exclusive to a particular console.

I read in other AVforums that many of the games once exclusive to PS2 that would have remained exclusive to PS3 have now been ported to xbox360 due to the year-long PS3 launch delay.  Am no gamer, so can't confirm that. 

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 08:32 AM »
Dagul thanks. I haven't seen the Xbox 360 in action much less the PS3 so I'm looking forward to actually seeing these graphics soon. Sobrang mahal lang talaga.

Av_phile, yup a number of games that were previously exclusive to PS3 have now been announced as multi-console titles -- most notably Assassin's Creed and of course, GTA. The PS3 though still has the venerable Final Fantasy series (not the online game) that has such a loyal fanbase it has been known to increase sales of units when it arrives. I think there's an article floating around the net where there is a rundown of exclusive titles for both consoles. I'll try to look for it.

Oh, PS3 also has Gran Turismo. 360, on the other hand, has Halo and Blue Dragon from Dragon Ball Z creator Akira Toriyama.

Offline striderhiryu1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 07:06 PM »
I was able to sign-up to US Playstation@network as well and download was very fast  (seemed like 2Mbytes per second).  More downloadable in US network than Japan (Blu-Ray trailers of  Underworld Evolution, Talladega, Stealth and game demo of NBA Live 2007, Motorstorm and F1)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: Nov 18, 2006 at 09:57 PM »
Clondalkin,

Yup,meron ng NBA 2K7 dito for the PS3.Also,Tony Hawk's Proj. 8,Madden 07 and NHL 2K7.

Thanks Dagul.  That case, the entire set of launch titles doesn't appear as sh**ty as it does in Tokyo.   I understand region coding for blu ray movies is the same for Japan and the US.  Does that apply to games as well?

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 02:18 AM »
I'm biased towards Xbox 360 right now because that's what i have,hehehe.Once i get the PS3 i'll give a blow by blow comparison.But that will be next year because i'll be going back to our beloved country this december.loving loving muna with the wifey ;D.Right now,if you really want to enjoy HD movies walang talo whether Xbox 360 w/HD DVD or PS3 for Blueray.Whatever format wins,you'll still have a console for gaming.Enjoy mga sir! ;D

Clondalkin,

Are you a member of pinoyxbox?
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2006 at 02:28 AM by dagul27 »