Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 107125 times)

Offline mario128

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #810 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 08:14 PM »
21k for a 20gb ps3?  8)

Yup! Jap 20GB PS3. I think it's ok if you're just gonna use it for Bluray movies. ;D

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #811 on: Feb 25, 2007 at 09:09 AM »
Last I check few weeks ago its 27 thou for the 20 gig in virramall. Sir mario where did you see the 21 thou.
Also sir Munskie is the 31 thou you saw 60 gig? Others are selling I think 38 thou, while toy kingdom is ridiculously priced at 60 thou I think.

Thanks

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #812 on: Feb 25, 2007 at 11:21 AM »
Yup! Jap 20GB PS3. I think it's ok if you're just gonna use it for Bluray movies. ;D
yup mario..where did you see the 21k 20gb?

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #813 on: Feb 25, 2007 at 11:40 AM »
celtex i believe

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #814 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 02:44 PM »
celtex i believe
ah ok.  wheres this sir?  :)

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #815 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 03:39 AM »
Nasa 21k na lang ang 20GB PS3. ;D

21K? A few more...  then I'm going HD! ;D
SARS!!!

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #816 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 04:52 AM »
celtex can be found in the theater mall near infomax

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #817 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 07:19 AM »
Sir mouldingo,

Magkano po sa inyo ang Bluray disc at ano anong titles na ang meron kayo? I'm planning to buy a ps3 kasi but i want to know kung saan meron mga bluray discs. ;)

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #818 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 07:28 AM »
celtex can be found in the theater mall near infomax

Sir, would you know if they accept credit card purchases?  ;D
SARS!!!

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #819 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 07:53 AM »
Sir mouldingo,

Magkano po sa inyo ang Bluray disc at ano anong titles na ang meron kayo? I'm planning to buy a ps3 kasi but i want to know kung saan meron mga bluray discs. ;)

Infomax sa MegaMall...depende sa title ang halaga...1600PhP at 2000PhP :) Best pa rin sa Amazon.com .
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007 at 07:56 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #820 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 09:19 AM »
much cheaper through amazon whether hd dvd or blu ray

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #821 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
'Night at the Museum' Comes to Life on Blu-ray This April

After hovering over the Blu-ray release schedule for weeks, Fox Home Entertainment's has officially slotted an April 24 arrival for the Ben Stiller blockbuster 'Night at the Museum.'

An effects-laden family-friendly adventure, 'Museum' scored over $200 million at the domestic box office alone, making it one of 2006's biggest hits. It has also been one of the most eagerly-anticipated Blu-ray releases of the season, as it is sure to be one of the format's biggest-ever sellers.

Fox, however, is planning a somewhat restrained Blu-ray version of the film -- at least compared to its standard-def DVD counterpart (which is also hitting stores on the same day).

Presented on a BD-25 single-layer disc, tech specs include a 1080p transfer and English DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 surround track (plus optional Dolby 5.1 dubs in French and Spanish).

Extras include two audio commentaries, the first with director Shawn Levy and the second with co-screenwriters Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon, a Blu-ray-exclusive trivia track, and theatrical trailers.

Retail will list for $39.95.

We've added complete specs for 'Night at the Museum,' including box art, to our Blu-ray Release Schedule under April 24.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #822 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 06:36 PM »
Sony announces cheaper Blu-ray player

By PETER SVENSSON, AP Technology Writer
Mon Feb 26, 12:37 PM ET

NEW YORK - Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). said Monday it is bringing out a cheaper player for Blu-ray discs early this summer, a crucial step in its battle to make the high-definition format the replacement for DVDs.

The BDP-S300 will cost $599, yet will have the same capabilities as the $999 BDP-S1 Sony is currently selling, said Randy Waynick, senior vice president of the home products division of Sony Electronics.

Sony and Samsung Corp., which also makes a Blu-ray player, have been undersold by Toshiba Corp.'s players for the rival HD DVD format. Toshiba has a model on the market for $499.

However, sales of players for either format have been tepid, as consumers have stood back, waiting for the market to settle on one of the discs.

Most people buying high-definition discs are apparently doing so to play them on PlayStation 3 game consoles. There are two versions of the console, for $499 and $599, and Sony sold 1.8 million units last year.

"Eighty percent of people who buy a PS3 also buy Blu-ray movies to go with it," Waynick told reporters at a meeting here.

"The consumers have determined that that's the format they're choosing to go with," he said, citing retail data from Nielsen VideoScan that showed Blu-ray discs outselling HD DVDs by three to one this year.

The BDP-S300 is a smaller unit than the BDP-S1, and is about the same size as a DVD player. Like the current model, it will be able to output a signal in the highest high-definition format, known as 1080p. It will also be able to play CDs, which the BDP-S1 does not.

Stan Glasgow, president of Sony Electronics, told reporters at a meeting here that by Christmas, prices for Blu-ray players should be down below $500.

Sony has previously complained that DVD players became a commodity product too soon, and that it was hard to make a profit in a market dominated by $50 units. Glasgow predicted that Blu-ray players would take the same route.

"Over time, I think it will be just like DVD," he said.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #823 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 08:33 AM »
Universal HD DVD in May - Wave 1   :P

Universal Studios Home Video have announced their first wave of US HD DVD catalogue titles for May. Arriving on the 22nd priced at $29.98 SRP each are: The Hurricane, The Skeleton Key and Smokey and the Bandit. All feature 1080P Widescreen transfers, English Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Surround audio and optional English SDH and French subtitles. French audio options are also present on The Hurricane and The Skeleton Key (2.0 and 5.1 respectively).

All extras from the standard definition editions are expected to be ported over.

Another few mediocre titles....come on Universal

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #824 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 08:44 AM »
Universal is starting to warm up.........its great coz it will justify me going "violet".  8)

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #825 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 04:42 PM »
this is going to be fun, i'll hold my purchases for now so i can choose wisely hehe 8)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #826 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 05:14 PM »
I want Matrix Trilogy, Lord of the Ring Trilogy, Starwars Sixlogy....then I wil be very very happy!  ;D

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #827 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 06:47 PM »
I want Matrix Trilogy, Lord of the Ring Trilogy, Starwars Sixlogy....then I wil be very very happy!  ;D

But the Star Wars sixlogy will be in BD only as Fox is a BD-exclusive studio

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #828 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 08:04 PM »

At the rate things are going a lot of Hd-dvd peeps will soon be going format neutral...

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #829 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 11:43 PM »
The DARK force is getting stronger...yeah once PS3 is right I will join the "Neutral" fence  ::)

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #830 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 01:38 AM »
Quick question: What made Universal decide to be HD DVD exclusive?  Was it the lower cost of HD DVD mastering/replication or did they have some deal with Toshiba to be HD DVD exclusive?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #831 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 01:28 PM »
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/apr06/04-24HDDVDPR.mspx

Also, I think MS has some controlling shares in either NBC Universal or Vivendi Universal, not so sure though. 
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007 at 01:34 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #832 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 04:35 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong.  I think there are more than 15,000 DVD titles available and not even 500 titles for HD DVD and Blu Ray combined (including promises).  Still a long long way to go.  zzzzz zzzzzz  zzzzzzz.   That's not my snore, I was suddenly reminded of my test scores in EE during college..my professor preferred writing Z instead of 0 for zero ;D.

Just wondering, what are the chances of the 10M Xbox360 user-base buying the HD DVD add on drive if MS/Toshiba sells that add-on at cost (probably $100).  Afterall, MS is already making money out of the console itself, unlike my dear Sony.

Toshiba's 51GB HD DVD disc.  To promote the storage media or to increase capacity for HD films and features?  WTF,  I love those multi-disc super special extended platinum director's unrated anniversary packages.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007 at 04:44 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #833 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 05:04 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong.  I think there are more than 15,000 DVD titles available and not even 500 titles for HD DVD and Blu Ray combined (including promises).  Still a long long way to go.  zzzzz zzzzzz  zzzzzzz.   That's not my snore, I was suddenly reminded of my test scores in EE during college..my professor preferred writing Z instead of 0 for zero ;D.

Yup, still quite small, estmates are that HD today is is less than 1% of the total HT market worldwide. 

Just wondering, what are the chances of the 10M Xbox360 user-base buying the HD DVD add on drive if MS/Toshiba sells that add-on at cost (probably $100).  Afterall, MS is already making money out of the console itself, unlike my dear Sony.

Quite sizeable,  they estimate a third of 360 users are getting the HD-DVD add-on.

Toshiba's 51GB HD DVD disc.  To promote the storage media or to increase capacity for HD films and features?  WTF,  I love those multi-disc super special extended platinum director's unrated anniversary packages.  ;D

Part of the appeal of HD DVD and Blu Ray is their interactive abilities using iHD for HD DVD and BD-J for Blu ray.  You can call any documentary or special feature or commentary at any time while watching the film and will pop-up picture-in-picture style on your widescreen - something you can never do with regular DVDs.  These p-i-p video streams are essentially multiplexed with the main feature video streams in real time.  But you can't very well do that if these special features are in another disc.  So the aim really is to have all the goodies with the film in one disc. 

But that won't prevent studios from issuing mulitple HD disc releases.  They just won't benefit form the interactive facility of HD players. 
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007 at 05:28 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2410
« Reply #834 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 07:14 PM »
I just have a question. BD is saying their superiority is in the 50 gig disc. May I ask for those 50 gig disc that are already released, what are their advantages so far?
1. are there more special features?
2. I keep hearing about this lossless audio, sorry im new in this market but kinda know what it is. Is this where the advantage is versus the 30 gig hddvds
3. More storage space for what?
Thanks

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #835 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 07:16 PM »
Toshiba HD DVD Firmware Upgrade V1.3 Now Available

Toshiba has released a new firmware upgrade for its second-generation HD DVD disc players, including fixes for HDMI-to-DVI connection and disc playback glitches.

Dubbed Version 1.3, a download for the upgrade first appeared earlier this week on Toshiba's official support site. According to the documentation from Toshiba, though Version 1.3 does not offer any new features or enhancements, it does solve a number of "disc playback issues" that have plagued the second-gen units since they first hit the market late last year.

Unfortunately, exactly which "issues" are addressed by the upgrade are not specified. However, according to recent online user reports and emails we've received, Version 1.3 does appear to offer the following improvements:

• Colorspace issues via HDMI-to-DVI connections corrected
• Video/audio sync playback and disc "stutter" improved
• Low audio volume/garbled center channel audio through HDMI fixed
• Sporadic "audio screeching" during playback of Dolby TrueHD soundtracks fixed
• Reading of audio CDs also improved, with less dropouts and "disc skips"
• Disc tray opening and closing speed times now faster

But perhaps the most welcome correction is a compatibility fix on select HD DVD titles, including Universal's recent release of 'Hollywoodland,' which many HD-A2 and HD-XA2 owners had been reporting was unplayable in their decks. According to reports, the disc now boots up without error after Version 1.3 has been installed.

We'll certainly keep you posted as any news on additional improvements and fixes come in.

Note that if you cannot download the upgrade and burn it onto your own CD, it is also available by direct download via your player's Ethernet port (refer to your deck's manual for instructions). Or contact Toshiba directly for a firmware CD, which the company will ship to all registered HD-A2 and HD-XA2 owners free of charge.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #836 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 07:19 PM »
An update to the PS3™ system software was released on February 28, 2007. If you update your PS3™ system, the system software will be version 1.54.

.New for 1.54: [Screen Mode] has been added as an option in the options menu for video chat. The image of the person you are chatting with during video chat can now be changed to match the screen size.

.New for 1.54: You can now use a compatible USB camera compliant with USB video class (UVC) for video chat.

You can update your system software by any of the following methods:

System Update »
Update using the PS3™ system's System Update feature.

Update using a PC »
Download update data using a PC and save on storage media* or a USB Mass Storage device. Copy the update data to the PS3™ system's hard disk and perform the update.
*An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.

Update using disc media »
Update using update data that is included on a game disc.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #837 on: Mar 01, 2007 at 09:28 PM »
I just have a question. BD is saying their superiority is in the 50 gig disc. May I ask for those 50 gig disc that are already released, what are their advantages so far?
1. are there more special features?
2. I keep hearing about this lossless audio, sorry im new in this market but kinda know what it is. Is this where the advantage is versus the 30 gig hddvds
3. More storage space for what?
Thanks

BD50 was really meant to accomodate the mpeg2 codec that Sony still insists on using for its BD releases for the transfer to really look exquisite.  Otherwise, if they use the more space efficient VC-1 or AVC, the release can fit in their BD25 and still look gorgeous, complete wth special features.  Just like with HD DVD.

BD50 also would be able to accommodate space eating uncompressed 5.1 LPCM audio codecs (essentially redbook CD but 6 channels instead of 2) which are mandatory BD specs for the primary audiotracks including DD and DTS for BD players.  The newer more space efficient Dolby Plus, DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD are optional for secondary audiotracks.  Unlike HD DVD which I think has the newer lossless audio codecs as mandatory part of their HD DVD specs.

A higher storoage capacity is always more advantageous as you can put in more special features in it.  But for practical HD application in HT, it is plain that 25Gb in  single layer BD or 30GB in a dual layer HD DVD are just fine for nearly all movie titles.  9 hours of HD video can be accommodated in a dual-layer 50Gb disc.  So for most intents and purposes, a BD25 can accomodate those epic 3.5hr films like Ben Hur, Gone With The Wind and King Kong.  With enough space for extras. But only if you use VC1 or AVC.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #838 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 07:40 AM »
Universal 2007 HD DVD Release Schedule Leaked?

In a posting today on The Digital Bits web site, editor Bill Hunt has published an extensive list of what would appear to be Universal's almost entire HD DVD release schedule for 2007.

Though most of these titles fall under the rumor mill category for now, most of the April and May releases have already been confirmed by the studio. It also appears to be a mix of new, old and catalog gems, one quite consistent with Universal's past HD DVD release strategy.

No actual street dates were provided, but among the highlights are:

April - The Good Shepherd, Smokin' Aces, The Game, The Jerk, The Hitcher, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Nutty Professor

May - Alpha Dog, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Smokey and the Bandit, The Hurricane, Skeleton Key, The River, Midnight Run, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Dragonheart, Lost in Translation

June - Breach, Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar, Sneakers, Born on the 4th of July, Scent of a Women, Daylight, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Meet Joe Black, Mallrats, Being John Malkovich, Mystery Men, American Me, The Watcher, Bulletproof

July - Billy Madison, The War, The Wedding Date, Dante's Peak, Cat in the Hat, Dead Silence, The Bourne Identity, The Nutty Professor 2, In Good Company, Streets of Fire, Hot Fuzz, Sea of Love, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead, Deliver Us from Eva

August - Heroes: Season One

September - The Last Starfighter, Legend, Battlestar Galactica: Season One, For the Love of the Game, Knocked Up, Evening, The Getaway, Patch Adams, Cat People

Should the above turn out to be Universal's authentic plans for 2007, it will also certainly help make a serious dent in their earlier, post-CES pledge to release at least 100 new titles in the calendar year. Though the above, roughly sixty-odd titles are still a bit short of that total, it is a vast improvement over the studio's HD DVD output so far this year, which has been meager, to put it kindly.

There's only one title that did excite me with this rumored list..........HEROES......yeah baby bring it on HD!!!!  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2007 at 07:42 AM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #839 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 09:56 AM »
Nice...at last there's some good news for us HD-DVD supporters...something to look forward :)

More tittles pls!!  :P