Author Topic: The War Begins...  (Read 107272 times)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The War Begins...
« Reply #1020 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 03:29 PM »
cant wait to see the interactive features, hopefully a revamp :) hope its in truehd 8)
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2007 at 03:35 PM by john5479 »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1021 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 03:38 PM »
cant wait to see the interactive features, hopefully a revamp :) hope its in truehd 8)
I think it would be.....maganda naman track record ng Warner in releasing movies with Dolby TrueHD.......it would be grave insult kung wala...... :)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1022 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 05:47 PM »
Trinity in those hot tight black leather suits........HOT!!!          Morpheus and his moon cratered face.......NOT!!  ;D ;D ;D

What about Monica Belluci's ample bosom?  I have had enough of Fishburne's craters in MI3. 

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 05:51 PM »
ah yes, monica belucci in HD 8)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 05:59 PM »

What about the Oracle's freckles?

Dang, I thought Warner is gonna wait forever for BD-J that I re-watched the entire series just a week ago.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2007 at 06:01 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1025 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 09:38 PM »
a winner...sana Malena in HD!!! hehehe

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: Mar 22, 2007 at 10:59 PM »
Xbox Live accounts 'not hacked'

Microsoft has denied reports that users of its Xbox Live online gaming service have had their accounts hacked.
It follows a number of complaints from gamers that their IDs, or gamer tags, have been taken over while playing.

The problems came to light after security researcher Kevin Finisterre reported his experience of a problem first-hand on his website.

In a statement Microsoft said it had found no evidence of any compromise of the security of Xbox Live.

Support run-around

As well as at least 50 other people complaining on the official Xbox forum about having their gamer tags stolen, Mr Finisterre also found clans (gaming groups) openly boasting about stealing accounts.

Some claimed the information was being extracted from people working for the Xbox Live support service

"One of the first posts said they were not stealing the account details but being given them by Xbox Live support," Mr Finisterre told the BBC News website.

A Microsoft spokesman told the BBC News website that "rumours about accounts being hijacked are false".

In a statement the firm said: "There have been a few isolated incidents where malicious users have been attempting to draw personal information from unsuspecting users and use it to gain access to their Live account.

"We think this is a good time to remind our members that they should never give out any of their personal information."

Mr Finisterre, who started a website in January revealing a different bug in Apple systems each day of the month, said he had believed his account had been affected.

"On Thursday last week I was playing Halo and a gentleman said he was going to steal my account," he told the BBC News website.

The next day he found he had been locked out of his account, with the explanation that someone else was using his gamer tag.

"I phoned Xbox Live support but was given the run-around," he said.

Begging for help

Eventually a conversation with a support agent, which he has recorded and put on his website, revealed that several other Xbox users had called with the same problems.

"They said there was nothing they could do and accused Bungie of being responsible," he said.

Bungie Studios is the Microsoft-owned developer of Halo and Halo 2. Microsoft also denies that the company had been hacked.

Mr Finisterre said he was unimpressed with the way Microsoft's support service had dealt with the problem.

"There are people out there begging for help and they clearly aren't getting it," he said.

Offline edboy7

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1027 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 12:15 AM »
DolbyTrueHD is mandatory in HD DVD but optional in BD which has PCM 5.1 instead (eats up more storage space for the same quality).

Sir av_phile1 conlusion na ba to? Have you experienced both? ::)

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1028 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 12:57 AM »
dolby truehd is optional for blu ray, which is sad since the ps3 can decode dolby truehd, for example happy feet has truehd for hd dvd while its just dolby digital ex for blu ray

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1029 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 02:59 AM »
I have been waiting for the ONE for ages & finally it will be here soon. I've looked high & low....very soon my seach for the ONE will be over! I'm so happy that I can cry ...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1030 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 08:34 AM »
Sir av_phile1 conlusion na ba to? Have you experienced both? ::)

Three things: (1) I am a member of another AV forum and have been discussing this for about a year already with early adopters who have both formats, (2) you can read on the net about the specs and see for yourself what are the mandatory and optional audio codecs for either formats, and (3) you can check out the title reviews available on both formats online and see what their audio tracks contain.  I suggest you compare Warner releases of both.  Training day, their first Warner release on both formats has DTH on HD DVD but not on the BD.  Happy Feet, one of their latest, also. Ofcourse, since DTH is optional on the secondary audio tracks for BD, I am sure some newer BD releases might already contain them due to competitive pressure from the other side. 

For audio, BD-ROM players are required to support Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, and linear PCM (up to 7.1 channels). Dolby Digital Plus, and lossless formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are player optional. BD-ROM titles must use one of mandatory schemes for the primary soundtrack (linear PCM 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1.). A secondary audiotrack, if present, may use any of the mandatory or optional codecs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 08:36 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 08:53 AM »
Wow Happy Feet a must have in HD.....both format a perfect 5 stars in PQ rating...Warner is really doing good in its HD releases....

Warner though sells Blu-ray short for this release as it has no uncompressed PCM 5.1 on this release (only DD-EX) compared to HD DVD's Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

For those NEUTRALs, looks like the audio advantage in HD-DVD will be the deciding factor in Happy Feet. :)

Excerpts:

"It's been a sorry trend, with the studio failing to offer Dolby TrueHD tracks and/or comparable DTS-HD or uncompressed PCM mixes on their A-list Blu-ray titles, while their HD DVD counterparts boast high-resolution audio."

"...the Blu-ray of 'Happy Feet' gets is a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX track in English, French and Spanish. Unfortunately for audiophiles, this just can't compare to the full-blown Dolby TrueHD mix on the HD DVD."
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 08:54 AM by pchin »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1032 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 10:48 AM »
Yup, at the moment, early adopters who have players in both formats enjoy getting all the HD titles they want that are exclusive to either formats.  But when faced with titles released in both formats, they readily go HD DVD most of the time.  ;D 

Just some thoughts on this.  It's just sad that BD users at this time don't enjoy as much from the interactivity and lossless audio tracks enjoyed by HD DVD users all the time.  BD fanboys cheer that BD has released more and better quality titles than HD DVD.  True.  But they are being shortchanged with the absence of interactive PiP features and DTH common  in HD DVD systems.  Ofcourse some have PCM5.1 which is just as good.  And interactivity may not matter to them at all. Still, they are being shortchanged by the absence of features that should be there in the first place.  And the sadder part is,  when the BD-J is finally implemented, those interested in this feature will be enticed to double dip in new releases of titles that have them.  And ofcourse they have to upgrade their players as well to benefit from interactivity,  unless they are already PS3s.   
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 11:05 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1033 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 11:07 AM »
PS3 finally hits UK shelves
[/size]
Sony sweetens the official launch event by dishing out HDTVs to everybody who queued up for the new console at midnight.

Just minutes before the tills were due to start ringing, a Sony representative made the shock announcement that everybody registered in the queue would receive a free Bravia 46" plasma HDTV, something which took some time to sink in with the gobsmacked crowd.

:o :o :o

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167940.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

Any lucky bastard here in pdvd from the UK?  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 11:07 AM by bachwitz »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 11:21 AM »
WOW!!! IS that an act of marketing genius? 

No matter,  If that happens here, I might just be a turncoat and become a BD fanboy!!!  And a Sony fanboy!!!

Only for a couple of days lang.   Then proceed to buy a Tosh XA2.  ;D

I have to admit SONY just did what no other CE could do.  They made a freebie out of an item that was nearly 10 times more expensive than the PS3.  The 46" Bravia given free was said to be in the W series - their TOP series - worth 2000 brit pounds).   One poster in the other AV forum opined, if this had been annnounced, he would have camped out at the store even a week prior.  Good thing this wasn't announced, or you could expect a real mass riot to get to the store.   ;D

And if it was announced, I wouldn't be surprised if some people here reserved economy class to London to be in the queue and just camped outside the store.   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 11:59 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1035 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 01:06 PM »
WOW!!! IS that an act of marketing genius? 

I say it truly is a stroke of genius!   

It might sound like it's too much to give away, but if you think about how much publicity this stunt can generate, Sony's freebee expense might be even cheaper than traditional advertising expenses.  Spending a couple of hundred thousand worth of freebees in Oxford street could be worth millions in worldwide Bravia and PS3 publicity.   
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 01:10 PM by barrister »

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1036 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 01:10 PM »
For those NEUTRALs, looks like the audio advantage in HD-DVD will be the deciding factor in Happy Feet. :)

Excerpts:

"It's been a sorry trend, with the studio failing to offer Dolby TrueHD tracks and/or comparable DTS-HD or uncompressed PCM mixes on their A-list Blu-ray titles, while their HD DVD counterparts boast high-resolution audio."

"...the Blu-ray of 'Happy Feet' gets is a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX track in English, French and Spanish. Unfortunately for audiophiles, this just can't compare to the full-blown Dolby TrueHD mix on the HD DVD."

True, I just cancelled my bluray happy feet title from amazon and replaced it with the hd dvd format even if it is 4 dollars more expensive.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 01:22 PM »
I say it truly is a stroke of genius!   

It might sound like it's too much to give away, but if you think about how much publicity this stunt can generate, Sony's freebee expense might be even cheaper than traditional advertising expenses.  Spending a couple of hundred thousand worth of freebees in Oxford street could be worth millions in worldwide Bravia and PS3 publicity.   

I am inclined to think so too.  Am not a Sony fan, more of a Sony Hater actually.  But I have to admit, Sony did the unthinkable and has won a lot of pogi points for this.  For a company that is cash starved, you have to hand it to them for not only a surprising promo act but a daring one at that. 
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 01:24 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1038 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 02:45 PM »
Nice move sony...... ;D ;D now youll see a horde of fans waiting in line everytime PS3 will launch in another country, expecting another free HDTVs.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1039 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 03:26 PM »
LOL! ;D  That could have been one of their objectives.

HD-DVD will find it hard to top that promo.  The Toshiba LCD is not quite as alluring as a Bravia W 46".
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 03:34 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1040 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 03:36 PM »
So when is the official launch of the PS3 in the Philippines?  Any news so I can start gueuing?   ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 03:52 PM »
Baka Bravia X series 46" ang free sa atin  :D

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/archives/troubleshooter/010196.html

(Link originally privided by sir Mouldingo)
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 03:54 PM by barrister »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #1042 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 03:53 PM »
So when is the official launch of the PS3 in the Philippines?  Any news so I can start gueuing?   ;D

I know but I wont tell, to make sure there is less competition.

;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1043 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 04:00 PM »
Baka Bravia X series 46" ang free sa atin  :D

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/archives/troubleshooter/010196.html

(Link originally privided by sir Mouldingo)

OK na rin yan.  Better than a 32" S series.  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1044 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 04:01 PM »
I know but I wont tell, to make sure there is less competition.

;D

Huwag kang swapang.  ;D    But just between us,  I can keep a secret.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007 at 04:02 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 10:16 PM »

Excerpts:

Only because Warner isn't quite format-neutral and is obviously biased towards HD DVD :P

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1046 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 11:10 PM »
True, I just cancelled my bluray happy feet title from amazon and replaced it with the hd dvd format even if it is 4 dollars more expensive.

Not bad since this is a new movie & with the extra $4 you will get a SD-DVD too :)

Only because Warner isn't quite format-neutral and is obviously biased towards HD DVD :P

That's certainly music to my ears  8)

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1047 on: Mar 24, 2007 at 02:56 PM »
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Mar 24, 2007 at 04:30 PM »
Xbox UK head Neil Thompson has stated that if Blu-ray defeats HD-DVD in the high-def format war then Microsoft will add Blu-ray support to the Xbox 360.

I think the operative word there is 'IF" Blu ray wins.

Ofcourse.  If it wins MS would have to be pretty stupid not to support it and insist on a losing format, won't they? 
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2007 at 04:47 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Mar 24, 2007 at 04:41 PM »
Hmm...there's no need for MS to mention that early as the format war has just started a few months back.  ;D